Chapter One

I'll walk *revised*

       A soft ting of a butter knife against the glass of a champagne fluke along with the man standing up on stage brought the ballroom to silence. The man flashed a bright smile, eyes crinkling as he placed the knife on the stool behind him, and stepped up to the mic. “I am so glad I didn’t just shatter that.” Quiet flutters of laughter bubbled up as he took a deep breath. “I guess it’s time for my speech, or that’s what Kibum said as he smacked the back of my head.” He smiled brightly up at where his sister and best friend sat leaning close together with matching brilliant smiles on their faces. Kibum’s loud obnoxious laughter was heard over the majority of the crowd. “To be completely honest I’ve always thought I’d be going to two separate weddings, one for my best friend and the other for my little sister, and I really didn’t even think that they knew each other existed let alone acknowledge each other enough to fall in love, but I’m glad they did. I’ve never seen my sister smile as brightly as she does because of you Kibum. I’ve never seen her laugh as much as at you. You make her happy, you love her to bits, and as a big brother that’s all I really could ask for.

        “And my little Jumping Bean, I remember the first day Mom brought you home. You were so tiny and I was deadly afraid I would hurt you. I was afraid you wouldn’t like me, but I remember the first time you held onto my hand and giggled, and I knew I had nothing to be afraid of. The moment that Jonghyun tried to smack your tiny forehead because you were screaming and I had stopped him, I felt like your protector. You were my little sister, so tiny and frail and no one was going to get away with hurting you as long as I was there. You’ve grown to be a beautiful woman, and watching you grow up has almost killed me more times than I’d like to admit, but after all the boys I almost punched for you, after all those nights full of double chocolate chip ice cream and romantic comedy marathons, I’m kind of relieved you found a place for your beautiful heart in my best friend. Even if he’s a little too loud and obnoxious sometimes.

        “I love you both so much. I never thought I’d be okay with giving up my role as your defense Taeyeon because no one could ever be good enough for you, but I’ve learned that for once I am wrong. Take care of her Kibum,” He winked, “I’m not afraid to kick your as I did in high school.”

        “We agreed to never talk about that!” Kibum groaned as Taeyeon giggled behind her hand.

        Jinki shrugged. “Congratulations to the happy couple.” He rose his champagne glass with a soft smile. “To Mr. and Mrs. Kim.”

-----

        Jinki rocked on the balls of his feet as he watched the couple dancing the first dance. The last chords of the song began to fade away as the room erupted in applause as Kibum lifted Taeyeon from the dip they had ended in. Jinki’s stomach did a flip as his sister’s eyes turned to find him. “And now for the Daddy daughter dance, and since the bride’s father couldn’t be here with us her brother will take his place.”

        It took a gentle shove in the middle of his back to make him step onto the dance floor. He glared back at the man who was just looking too pleased with himself, before making his way to his sister as soon as the first notes of melody began to play. He was gently taking her waist into his grasp when the music picked up slightly and she flashed a smile at him. “Don’t be so nervous.”

        “Easy for you to say. You can dance.” He grumbled, but after her arms wrapped around his neck and she smiled warmly at him his nerves began to subside. She was beautiful, always had been, but as her long white gown swirled against his legs and that bright smile spread on her lips as she laughed loudly he knew she had never been more beautiful.

------ 

 

        Lights swirled and pulsed above them, the music swelled throughout the venue, and the dance floor was covered in people in nice gowns and tuxedos. Tables were around the room almost empty for dinner had been served already and the dancing part of the evening took over. The young bride was sitting at her table with her older brother, manicured nails tapping on the table to the beat of the music. Her eyes drifted over to her brother to see a soft loving expression on his handsome features. She followed his gaze and a smile curved upon her face when she was met with the sight of her brother’s long term boyfriend.

        "He sure is a keeper," Taeyeon commented softly, gently shocking the man out of his daze, as she leaned her hair on his shoulder.

        Jinki looked over at his sister for a moment, a soft blush on his cheeks knowing he had been caught staring. "Yeah, he sure is."

        "And he’s really pretty,” She gently sipped her wine glass, eyes soft as she looked over the reception of her wedding. Her new husband was mingling, talking animatedly in the way that he did best, and he always had an aura that made people’s eyes drawn to him.

        “My best friend is too though Jumping Bean.” Jinki looked down when he felt the thin fingers curling around his own. He smiled and leaned his head against his sister’s. 

        She hummed and played with his fingers. “Yeah, he is, isn’t he?” 

        His nose scrunched up. “Eww. My sister sounds all in love.” 

        Taeyeon snorted. “I’d hope so. I did just get married.” 

        With a mock sniffle, “My baby sister is married. I’m so emotional.”

        She smacked his thigh with her palm, “You cried at the ceremony.”

        “I teared up. There’s a difference. You just were really beautiful.”

        Taeyeon just smiled, a blush reddening her cheeks before a giggle bubbled up, and her fingers curled around his hand a little tighter. A soft giggle passed her lips, “Don’t look now but I think Kibum is trying to get Minho to dance.” 

        Minho eyes were wide as he waved his hands in front of him as if he thought they would repel Kibum. His eyes found his boyfriend across the room, pleading to be saved, but in the end Taeyeon saved him. She kissed her brother’s cheek before walking over to the two men and pulling her husband away to dance with him. Jinki chuckled at the relief that flashed over Minho’s face. His boyfriend disappeared behind a group of people with a small smile and a shy wave, causing him to look over at his sister and brother in law. Kibum was dancing like he normally did. Limbs moving to the music fast and quick, doing the most he really didn’t need to be doing, and Taeyeon smacking his chest to dance with her. He finally calmed down with a big smile before taking his wife by the hips.   

          Jinki's attention was on the couple, so when Minho walked up behind him, he didn't notice. The older man looked up surprised when he felt strong hands on his shoulders and smiled when he met the gaze of the tall man. With a soft kiss on Jinki’s forehead the man mumbled, "Hey you."

          “Hey,” He softly spoke reaching up to bring the man down so he could kiss him. Minho carefully sat in the chair Taeyeon had just recently vacated as Jinki kissed him once more. They finally parted after the younger man smacked his boyfriend’s chest with a giggle. Jinki just leaned over to peck his cheek and intertwined their fingers together, “How are you liking the party?”

          "Not bad, but not really great either.” Jinki looked over at the man curious, and almost mad. “Some people are nice, some people could be nicer, but that’s life I guess.”

        "Why do you say that? What happened?" Minho just shook his head, before smiling and leaning close to brush his nose against his boyfriend’s cheek. “Did someone say something to you?”

          “It’s fine, Babe. I’ve had my fair share of conservative family members.” His smile brightened as he offered his hand to Jinki. "Come dance with me?"

          "You know I can't dance."

          "For me?" Minho pouted, and Jinki groaned as he let himself give in.  After slipping off their tux jackets and laying them on the older man’s chair, Jinki was lead onto the floor. The song switched just as Jinki pulled Minho close, hands warm on hips as the melody reached his ears. He almost wanted to laugh as one of his songs were played. He looked around him to find Taeyeon and Kibum, both having found him, and he laughed when both winked at him. Minho just snuggled his head into his neck, lips pressing softly onto skin as he wound his arms around him.

         Jinki sighed deeply as he pressed his cheek into Minho’s shoulder and brushed his nose against his warm neck. The younger man softly chuckled, the warm words rolling across his neck making him shiver as his fingers curled around the fabric of the man’s shirt. "See, you're a great dancer."

         Jinki laughed, voice soft so that only the other man could hear him. “I’m just a good swayer. My concerts show that."

        As the song came to a close Jinki felt a soft tap on his shoulder. He parted from Minho to see his sister smiling at him, “My turn.”

        He already had, earlier in the night for the father-daughter dance. He had stepped in for their father who couldn’t make it to his daughter’s wedding because of a heart attack the year before. Kibum’s father offered to step in, welcome her to the family as his own, but Taeyeon told him that her brother would do it. Jinki had gotten over his nerves rather quickly realizing how much of a big thing this was for Taeyeon and how touched he was she wanted him to play the role.

        This time however when he took her outstretched palm he didn’t feel uneasy. He kissed Minho on the cheek before twirling his sister around. A huge squeal of laughter parted from her lips as she was spun to the beat. Her long white gown swirled around her legs, as she came to a stop to wrap her arms around her brother’s neck, his hands on her waist. Minho had to admit the huge smile on Jinki’s face was one of the most beautiful things of the night as he took a seat where he had fetched the man prior. He tried to drink some of the alcohol that was present in the glass, but by the smell it was way too strong for him, and even though he knew Jinki wasn’t that far away from being sober, he wanted to make sure he wasn’t tipsy when they decided who got to drive them home at the end of the night.

        “Excuse me?” A soft call from his right. He looked over slowly, eyes not wanting to be taken off the beauty that was Jinki dancing with his sister, to find one of Jinki’s older aunts.

        “Yes?”

        “I just happened to see you dancing with my nephew,” A tight smile spread across her face as she reached into her purse and pulled out what looked like a pamphlet to Minho from his spot. Whatever it was exactly was placed on the table near him as her smile brightened. He squinted to try and read the title, but it was still blurry as she continued, “If you wouldn’t mind giving that to him, you both should look into it.”

        He pulled it over with a few fingers, before flicking his eyes up at her as he held it back out to her. “No thank you, Ma’am.” 

        “Oh, I insist. I think it’ll be very good for you to work through these issues you have.”

        Minho noticed the song ending and Jinki quickly finding him across the room, taking sure steps over once he realized what aunt was talking to him. As the man got close enough to hear, Minho spoke again. “The only issue I seem to have right now is you questioning my identity. Please enjoy the party, Ma’am.”  

        For a moment he thought she was going to say something else, but instead, she just left the pamphlet on the table and her heel. Jinki rose his eyebrows as he silently picked the glossy paper up. His expression fell as he sighed, “I thought she would get around to accepting me. Us.” 

        “Some family it’s not worth arguing about it.” Minho smiled as Jinki walked around the table, stepping over his legs and hopping slightly up onto the top of the table in front of him. He put his hands on Jinki’s thighs, smiling up at him. “Look on the bright side of things. The important people in your life accept you and have made me feel at home since the moment I met you. Everything else is insignificant.” 

          “Ah, the jock’s become the philosopher now?” 

        The kiss was slow as if there wasn’t a swinging party around them, warm and sweet from the bit of cake Jinki had grabbed on his way over from the dessert table. “Listening to your love songs for years has made me the best romantic.” 

        “Is that so?”

        He shrugged, “You tell me. Wanna get out of here?” 

        At the wiggle of his eyebrows Jinki snorted. “Are you seducing me?” 

        “What, like it’s hard?” 

        “You make me sound so easy,” Jinki was smiling though as he hopped down from the table. “I’m going to go say goodbye to Taeyeon. Mind going to get the car?”

        “Tell her congratulations for me.” 

        “I will. See ya outside?” Minho nodded as he watched the man slip on his jacket and round the table. He made sure that they didn’t leave anything, and that’s when he noticed the pamphlet was gone. He looked up to see Jinki toss a ball into the trash and a smile spread across his face. He finished his glass of sprite before slipping from the table and walking around the crowd of people on the dance floor. When he looked through the group of people he managed to find Taeyeon’s white dress, and see her kiss her brother’s cheek and Jinki leaning in to hug Kibum. The happy couple looked up to catch his eye and he smiled with a wave.

        The air was chilly as he stepped out of the warm venue, the music now a quiet base behind him as the sound and feel of the wind took over his senses. Their car was reasonably parked with how early he had to drop Jinki, but it still took him a few minutes to locate it. When he pulled up in the turnabout Jinki was huddled up by the doors, suit jacket wrapped tightly around him as he attempted to shelter himself from the brisk wind of early winter. He jogged down the steps toward the car, slipping in just as quickly, his hair a complete mess upon his head. With a loving gaze and soft fingers, Minho reached up to put it all back into place out of his face once the man had put on his seat belt. Once his hands were back on the steering wheel, Minho softly asked, “Do you mind stopping to get gas?”

        “I think I can wait that long to get home. Running out of gas on the side of the highway would really put a damper into my life tonight.” Jinki laughed quietly as he fidgeted with the stereo controls.  The heat was already on full blast in an attempt to defrost the windows quickly, but the air blowing out wasn’t hot enough to do much. As they waited for the windows to be cleared off and the frost to melt away from their bones, Minho’s cell phone began to ring in the center console. 

        “Hello?” Jinki scrolled through twitter feed, commenting on a few things his fans had replied to him, retweeting others, and overall not catching much of Minho’s conversation. Once twitter bored him enough he clicked the button on the side to lock it and leaned his head back against the headrest, hearing the end of Minho’s phone call. “Yes, I understand. I’ll be there as soon as I can Coach.”

        And something dark set deep in Jinki’s chest. It wasn’t the fact he wasn’t going to get to have . That never really mattered between them, but it was just another instance in a long line of them where they had plans in their limited time together as it is and Minho canceled to do something for his Coach. The windows were mostly cleared and Minho smiled over brightly as he moved the gear shift into drive. “Ready?”

        “Yeah,” He glanced over with a flash of a smile before gazing out of the window. It was as they pulled out of the parking lot that Jinki turned his head to say, “You can just drive me home. I’ll get gas tomorrow.” 

        “It’s alright. I know you don’t like it under a half let alone this low.”

        With a tight smile, Jinki asked, “Don’t you have to get to the stadium as soon as possible?” 

        Minho’s lips were pressed into a thin line, hands gripping the wheel tightly before he spoke, “I did say that.” 

        “Then don’t worry about it.” He twisted his phone around and around in his hands, needing to busy them with something as anxiety began to bubble up in his chest. 

        “I tried to get out of it, Babe.” Minho flickered his eyes over just briefly as he turned to the right. “I’m sorry I’m canceling again.” 

        “I’ll find something to do. I always do when you get called in on your only off days.” He heard the man next to him sigh deeply. He wrapped his arms around him, fingers curling around his jacket as he leaned his head against the window. For Minho soccer was his passion in the way music was for him. He understood that being a professional athlete means training and endless hours practicing, but with how busy each of their schedules was Jinki expected the limited time they had together to be used for them. 

         They were waiting at a red light when Minho ventured to offer, “It shouldn’t take too long. He just thinks we need more practice before the game on Wednesday.”

        “If he had called during the service would you have gone?” 

        “What?” 

        “You heard me just fine Minho.” 

        Minho’s fingers tapped on the steering wheel just as the light turned green. “No, I wouldn’t have.”

        “Let’s hope you have the same sentiment if we ever manage to get to the altar.” 

        “And what is that supposed to mean?” 

        “Nothing. It doesn’t mean anything.” Jinki clenched his teeth, staring out of the window as everything flew by him. “Just drop me off at home please.” 

        “That’s bull.” Minho hissed. “You’re angry. Stop deflecting and tell me what’s the matter with you.” 

        “You are what is wrong with me right now Minho because you won’t let this go.” Jinki whipped his head around to look at him. “I don’t want to argue with you. It’s the same thing we always argue about and I’m tired of it. There’s no point. It’ll happen again and you’ll run off, again.” 

        “You have your music, and your concerts, and the tours. Sometimes you aren’t home for months, but I never complain about it.”

        “I am not angry with the time that you spend doing your job Minho. That would be wrong of me when I’m gone for extended periods of time too, but there’s a difference between you and I. I have concerts and you have your away games, but when I am home with you you have my entire attention. I won’t run off in the middle of the very limited time we have with one another lately. When I’m here with you, I’m here fully. If something comes up I either include you like I did that lunch meeting about my album and you came with me..”

        “This isn’t fair.” Minho grounded out, knuckles almost white on the steering wheel, “This isn’t fair and you know it Jinki.”

        “What isn’t fair is having expectations of the man I love to spend all the time he can with me in his busy life, but being tossed aside for an extra practice every single ing time. A practice you’ll spend half of socializing before you even touch a damn ball.” Jinki curled his fingers into the fabric of his pants, trying to breathe calmly, but nothing seemed to work. “I understand that sometimes you can’t help it. Things come up, happens, I understand that. I just want to be chosen. To feel like I’m more important for just one night than that damn team.” 

        “You’re making me choose between my team and my heart Jinki.”

         “I’m not making you choose. I’m just asking for once in a blue moon to not be left out in the cold.”

          It was a split-second reaction. Minho turned his head to look at Jinki with pained eyes, just for a moment, but a moment was all that was needed for the next events to unfold as they did. Bright headlights filled the older man’s vision.

          "MINHO." But it was too late. The other car crashed into them, shattering glass and making them spin off the road.