War is Nothing but a Game Of Chess

(Falling In Love) With The Enemy

|| Chapter One: War is Nothing but a Game of Chess ||

 

 


 

 

 

 

tumblr_inline_n4of1eDQoc1r8x9ve.gif

 

 

 

 

 

If there's anything that Do Kyungsoo hates more than a messy precinct, It would be defense attorneys- to which the young captain is almost livid when he sees Defense Attorney Kim standing in the middle of the precinct floor as the man practically frowns in disgust at chanyeol's empty m&m wrappers scattered along the desk. There's an urge to groan because Park Chanyeol is dead meat.

 

Kyungsoo thinks that this should not be happening on a Monday morning , but the world seems to have it out against him. He considers turning and making himself scarce , but he's caught before he can back out.

 

"Do Kyungsoo." The words roll off plump, rosy lips that are upturned in a slight smirk and Kyungsoo resists the urge to scoff before placing a tight formal smile on his lips.

 

Unfortunately, the world is never on his side. "Kim Jongin. To what do I owe the visit? I am more than positive you didn't come to my precinct to merely say hello. So what does the Devil's spawn want with me?" Jongin's smirk is replaced with a snarl and Kyungsoo mentally pats himself on the back.

 

Kim Jongin is one of Seoul’s notorious Defense Attorneys and just so happens to be the bane of Kyungsoo’s existence. Jongin turns out to be stands half a head above Kyungsoo. His skin has a slight caramel complexion that match his soft eyes and does well to contrast the freshly dyed jet black hair that frames his face in soft curls. Jongin may be handsome to some, but to Kyungsoo he is as attractive as a sack of potatoes. Really-extremely-lumpy-potatoes.

 

"Trust me, I wouldn't be in this revolting dump if I had the choice. Fortunately for you I'll make this quick and easy. Where is Mr.Lee?"

 

"Why must you know the whereabouts of Mr.Lee?" Kyungsoo knows the answer and mentally curses the world because God, Mondays .

 

"Obviously, I'm here as his Attorney. Now, would you be so kind as to point me in the direction of my client ?"

 

Kyungsoo sighs and weighs the possible course of actions he can choose from. A, he can lead Jongin on a futile goose hunt -which would certainly brighten his morning - or B, he can tell him where Mr.Lee is being interrogated. For a moment, Kyungsoo almost caves to avoid the hassle of hearing about it later, but as it seems, Mondays really do and Kyungsoo doesn't feel like being particularly mature.

 

"I last left him with Detective Byun. Now,if you'll excuse me, I have work to do as you people are the ones letting criminals run loose. Essentially making our job a lot harder than it needs to be. I'm sure you have enough brain in that head of yours to find the exit later, so I will not see you out.Have a fantastic day, satan-I mean, Defense Attorney Kim."

 

Kyungsoo flashes one of his more threatening smiles, turning and making his way to his office before Kim Jongin can say another word. Kyungsoo wonders how long it'll take Jongin to trace down Mr.Lee and the thought brings an amused smile to his lips.

 

Hopefully, the rest of the day will be entertaining. Hopefully.

 

 

 

~*~


 

Kim Jongdae is aware that he is not the world’s smartest person. He is, however, aware that he is leagues ahead of Oh Sehun. He is positively positive that Sehun might be a dimwit and debates how to go about informing the boy about this conclusion.

 

Sehun stands in the middle of the office and for a defense attorney, he looks more like a mess of cotton candy. Sehun, whose locks were once a nice normal brown, is now a light shade that mimics the sugary substance.

 

“Who did you get your hair done by, the candy man?”

 

Sehun snorts unattractively before running his fingers through the freshly dyed locks. “I think it looks brilliant-”

 

“Brilliantly stupid.” Jongdae interjects.

 

“-and the shade fits me perfectly. I look handsome.” Sehun continues, ignoring the way that Jongdae looks judgingly at him.

 

“You look ridiculous. You know that Minseok is going to have your head right? He’s going to murder you. He’s going to tear you limb by limb and no one will question what happened to you.You know that it’s against regulations to have such outlandish hair color.” Jongdae stresses and Sehun’s blank stare only makes Jongdae even more certain that he is indeed leagues beyond Sehun.

 

Joonmyun, whose eyes were glued to paperwork the entire time, glances up and Jongdae can see the disbelief scrawled across his features before a disappointed frown takes over. “Sehun...you look like a flamingo. Heavens, you look utterly ridiculous. This is why we get so much crap from the detectives.”

 

Sehun groans. “I hate all of you. Every last one of you. I’m quitting.”

 

“As if you quitting would be such a loss for us.” Joonmyun grumbles and Jongdae suddenly remembers why Joonmyun had been his favorite since the beginning.

Jongdae sighs and tunes out Sehun who starts bickering with Joonmyun. The files on his desk aren’t going to go through themselves and he wonders if he could possibly bribe Yi Fan into finishing them for him.

 

It’s during this inner battle between right and wrong that Jongin strolls in and Jongdae doesn’t think he’s ever seen the man as livid as he is. An angry Jongin is a scary Jongin and silence drowns the whole floor as the man steps into Minseok’s office and this isn’t going to be good.

 

The door to Minseok’s office is closed but everyone can still make out the words damned detective and scumbags. Jongdae is almost positive that he heard Do Kyungsoo’s name. Kyungsoo is captain of Seoul’s 1st Precinct and by extension, everyone’s enemy. It is an unspoken rule that detectives and defense attorneys are born enemies, but this is the first time that Jongdae has seen Jongin stroll in this angry.

 

“I am certain that this isn’t going to be good.” Sehun mumbles and Joonmyun snorts this time.

 

“Of course it isn’t going to be good?”

 

Sehun tilts his head in confusion at Joonmyun’s word and Jongdae can’t help but think pitifully cute. “What do you mean?”

 

“Sehun,” Jongdae sighs, getting up from his chair and pats Sehun’s cheek fondly. “, Jongin is furious. Obviously, this means war.”


 

 

~*~

 


 

Kyungsoo sighs and watches as his lead team of detectives meander into the meeting room. He just received word from Detective Byun about the Jongin situation and Kyungsoo knows that he just potentially played with fire.

 

“Stop thinking so loud, I can hear you.”

 

Kyungsoo’s lips spread into a small smile as his head detective walks up. “Detective Han.”

 

Lu Han smiles back and Kyungsoo feels better just seeing it. Lu Han is Kyungsoo’s right hand man and if anything, his presence is assuring. “Captain Do. I heard what happened from Detective Byun and Detective Park. I think that was a rather bold move, no? You’ve never been the one to delve into child games. So, why is this time any different? Normally, Jongin simply ruffles your feathers and you ignore it.”

 

“Kim Jongin has gotten under my skin enough. I figured it was time to fight back. The Lee case was the final straw. Now, you’re a chess champion and I’m sure you know more than anyone else what move we have to make next. “

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes narrow when he spies a mischievous glint in Lu Han’s eyes. “Yes, I am well versed in this so called ‘chess game’ that we’ve been playing with the defense attorneys. However, what’s in it for me, Captain Do?”

 

“Well, I’ll see to it that at the end of it all, Kim Minseok is yours. You can do as you please.” The grin that spreads across Lu Han’s lips make him look younger, but the detective looks no less than terrifying.




“Why, Captain, you have yourself a deal.”

 


||Author's Note|| : Hi everyone, long time no see, right? Haha, I decided to start this one over since I didn't want to completely abandon the idea, but I am going to make some changes to the story lines and characters and I'll try to update this regularly!

I love and miss you all <3

If you're still with me, thank you! Stay tuned!