Hallucinations and such

Wednesday with the demon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Donghae first saw the winged creature at the age of five, its majestic black wings folded elegantly behind his back, perched on the roof of the abandoned chapel. Large doe like chocolate orbs widened, small feet landing on the soft carpet as he stumbled over to the window sill. With much effort and a little fit, the toddler managed to crawl up and pressed his face to the cool surface.

 The silhouette of the creature was illuminated by the warm bath of the moonlight, long legs stretched out on the tiles. Donghae’s breath fogged up the glass, transfixed by its beauty. It was dressed in a pair of leather pants and a silk shirt, the fabric fluttering in the wind. As if aware that it was being watched, the creature’s head turned, hazel orbs lazily regarding the small boy. The toddler fell back with a screech, heart thumping insanely.

Pink crept up his neck, ashamed that he had been caught. ‘What if I scared him away?’ The very thought caused the boy to burst into tears, chubby arms clutching desperately onto his teddy bear for comfort. Soon enough, lights were switched on, Donghae’s parents rushing to his room to comfort their darling son.

Plump lips pulled into a smile, single lidded eyes blinking as the creature leapt onto his feet. “I’m not scared of you, silly.” He mused, black wings spreading out behind him. The breeze flirted with his hair, dancing with the blond silky strands as the creature took a step off the roof.

It fell gracefully, sharp features showing no signs of fear. Slender fingers schemed the surface of the fountain, wings beating powerfully yet silently. Casting one last glance over his shoulder, the creature chuckled and vanished into the sky.

--

Nights became the favourite time of the day for Donghae, the boy returning dutifully to his spot at the window sill as he waited patiently for the creature. Tears stung his eyes when the creature failed to return for months, the chapel looking more depressing than ever without it.

A year and a half past before it appeared again, this time alarming 6 year old Donghae by hovering right outside his window. While the boy had grown an inch or so, lost a bit of weight and hair was cut short, the creature looked the same. Its hair was still blond and long, tickling its collarbones. The face was as handsome as ever, if not more so with it being so close to Donghae.

Plump lips were pulled into a comforting smile, a pale hand pressing itself against the window as the young boy felt tears sting his eyes. “I waited for so long for you! I missed you so much!” Donghae howled, not willing to forgive the creature so easily. All the disappointment he had felt resurfaced, causing him to bawl uncontrollably.

With all his yelling, it was a miracle that his parents had not woken up yet. But what Donghae did not know was that the creature had frozen time, with only him and it being the only two who could move. Hazel orbs widened in surprise, heart clenching painfully as he watched the innocent boy cry his eyes out.

Thick brows creased, as if experiencing internal turmoil as the creature scanned his surroundings. Sighing, he stepped past the glass and into the warm room, bending down hesitantly on one knee. Cold fingers made contact with Donghae’s face; the boy’s crying ceasing in shock.

Thin lips hung open, all feelings of neglect forgotten as he stared, mesmerised by the creature in front of him. “I’m sorry.” Its tone was surprisingly soothing, deep velvety voice wrapping around the boy. The creature bit his lip, pushing away all thoughts as he slowly picked Donghae up.

The boy latched himself onto the taller, stubby fingers tangling into the soft blond locks. Donghae felt the creature’s chest vibrate, a clear indication that he was laughing. A happy grin tugged on his own lips, the toddler gazing tenderly at it. “My name is Donghae.” He exclaimed, stretching out a hand just as his parents had taught him to.

The creature’s brow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter