Chapter One

Long Time No See... I Guess

   Sometimes I wonder. Why do conditions run through the family? Grandpa had asthma, great grandma did too. It skipped my mother and sister, and instead came straight to me. In p.e I get told to do double, because you know, asthma isn't anything serious to sit out a few minutes. Anyways, school is tiring for me. My mother moved us to a small urban town after my father passed away. She said she wanted to give us a better, more enjoyable life, I couldn't attend a real school because of the dust and late application. I happened to be wheezing and clutching my side from pain when the teacher decided to end our agony. At least mine, anyways.
    “Okay you kids, enough of cardio,” Mr. Sung shrugged his shoulders in his baggy jacket. “Can anyone tell me what color your blood is when it pumps? Come now, it’s an easy question for the early morning, you can answer this.”
    “Red,” a girl in the back shouted from mid-stretch.
    “Correct. Last class someone told me blue,” he chuckled while shaking his head. He turned to face the portable whiteboard. “That is just a myth, because....”
    I had to tune him out. I didn’t need to know this later on in life. Blood is red, and red is just a color. At least, that's what I thought. My doctor said to watch how much I force myself in p.e, in case I coughed up blood again. Again. I hadn't coughed so badly since last year, when I had my classes rearranged for less active classes.

    "Hey, are you paying attention to the lesson?" I looked up and saw the teacher aiming his ruler at me. He then slammed it back on the anatomical poster, the corner right in the center of the heart.

     "Since you obviously don't need to pay attention, mind telling me what the large blue wire-like cord leaving the heart is called?"

            "It's called the superior vena cava," I answered. Mr. Sung deadpanned and rolled his eyes. Of course he'd call me out.

                   "That is all for today's overview. We have ten minutes before it's time to change, so have some free time. Jungkook, may I have a word?" He added while watching me as the class up and left.

                      I sighed and stood. When would he learn? I stared up at him and eventually noticed the concern clouding his gaze.