Calming Troubled Waters

Calming Troubled Waters

The small package waited for him when he returned home from the concert, exhausted and sore and decidedly cranky. He felt old, and out of step with those around him. Perfectionist that he was, it unnerved him when he slipped up, especially if it could have been avoided.

He should have listened to Changmin and let the stylist noonas cover up the cuts on his arm he'd gotten while helping shift equipment. They were healing fine and Yunho hadn't thought they'd be an issue while he was standing on a huge stage surrounded by bright, flashing lights.

He should have known better.

He should have done something about it.

At the very least it would have saved him from Changmin's anxious glances and having to listen to an endless stream of I told you so during the flight home.

And now this.

The innocuous package didn't fool Yunho for a moment. He knew that it would contain a small glass bottle, carefully labelled, and a brief note on a mint-green cardboard square.

Yunho couldn't remember when it had started or what had turned it into a tradition.

Maybe it had been that overly exuberant exchange of one-touches that prompted a trip to the market to find cypress oil to treat Changmin's bruises before they caught hell from their managers. Or maybe it had been the epic fight between Yoochun, Changmin and Junsu over who-knew-what and the subsequent three-day-sulk that only ended when Jaejoong slammed a bottle of vanilla oil into the centre of the table, so hard it smashed.

"If this much oil doesn't calm the troubled waters, I'm moving out," the eldest had threatened and promptly retreated to a bath tub filled with bubbles and scented with more vanilla oil. Twenty minutes later, Jaejoong and the combatants had all been fast asleep and Yunho—who had been caught in the firestorm of all the drama—had drawn the first calm breath in days.

Standing in his living room, holding a small white box, Yunho remembered other days and other gifts. Lavender to ease Changmin's headaches and let him sleep. Rosemary, when Yunho had been particularly forgetful one week. Eucalyptus and black pepper to help Junsu through yet another cold. Jasmine when Yoochun was feeling lonely and homesick. Yuzu and lime when they were beyond tired and getting out of bed to start another endless day felt like an effort too far.

There had been other oils, too… ginger and cinnamon and rose and arnica… buckets of arnica… and none of them had ever questioned where Jaejoong had learned his magic or how he always seemed to have on hand just what they needed.

Only much later, when his memories had lost their acid-sharp edges, had Yunho ever stopped to wonder what oil Jae used to ease his own heartache, or if he'd been too caught up looking after everyone else to care for his own wellbeing.

Despite everything though, the tiny, carefully labelled bottles with their mint-green notes continued to arrive when he most needed them. Looking down at the thoughtful gift, for this was what it was and had always been, Yunho felt even more of a failure than he had all day. Many times he'd accepted the aid each bottle offered, and been grateful for it. But never once had he acknowledged the gifts. Or said thank you.

And pride turned men into their without even trying.

His fingers shook as he cut through the tape and lifted the flap of the white box. Bubble wrap cradled a small green bottle, labelled Bergamot in careful script. Yunho lifted it out, looking for the mint-green cardboard square he knew would be in the box.


Keeping your pain hidden doesn't make you a hero.
Wearing your scars on the outside doesn't make you a failure.
(One drop neat on your skin will fade the marks. Five drops in your bath will ease your mind.)


As always, there was no signature. No goodbye. Nothing to indicate the sender but the fact that he was someone who knew what Yunho needed when he needed it. Better than anyone else.

There had been times when that knowledge had been scary and painful. But those times were past. And Yunho had come to accept that some things just were. Cradling the small bottle in his palm as if it was gold dust, Yunho reached for his phone and typed: Did you get one?

Marjoram, came the prompt reply. With instructions to warm up and stretch properly before going on stage and not hold on to anger.

Scary cat ears, Yunho texted back.

And in other news? Changmin replied a moment later, leaving Yunho to smile helplessly as he made his way to the bathroom to do as instructed and let hot water and steam ease his body and mind. He added the oil to the bath as he'd done on countless other occasions, breathing deeply as the fragrant steam rose and swirled around him, brightening his mood and easing the frown from his brow.

Waiting for the bath to fill he reached for his phone once more and sent a text to a number he'd not used in years. Your magic works fast. I'm feeling better already. Thank you.