What Brothers are For

What Brothers are For

Summary: Shim Changmin is good at a lot of things, but he is ultimately bad at one single thing, namely, dance. But luckily, he has his Yunho-hyung to help him through it!

 

Loud music blasted throughout the large practice room. Two figures moved to the music, sweat dripping heavily from their bodies, shoes sliding across the wooden floor. Empty bottles laid beside few water filled bottles in the corner, towels and two bags thrown carelessly nearby. It is already 12AM on a Friday night, and the building was empty other than the two males moving in the room. 

 

Changmin watched his reflection off the ceiling-to-floor mirror stretched out on one side of the wall. The rehearsal started in the afternoon, and by now, all the dancers and staffs had left. He was drained, white tank top soaked with sweat, but he wasn’t willing to give up just yet. From the reflection, he could see his hyung moving smoothly to the music, black t-shirt clinging onto his body tightly. 

 

The music changed pattern and the two figures jumped and twirled to the fast beat. A foot slipped during landing and Changmin’s body slammed loudly onto the floor. Damn it! He would never get this part right!

 

He turned to lay his back on the floor, sprawled eagle, panting heavily. A shadow hovered over him before sitting beside him. “Changmin-ah, try pulling your left feet up first and don’t think so much about your partner right now.” 

 

A husky voice reached his ears. “I know! I know! I’ve been trying to do that! But how can I not care about my partner! It’s a freakin’ couple dance! Two people! Supposedly working in complete harmony and making beautiful twirls and getting wolf whistles and all those! But I just can’t get it right!”

 

He covered his eyes in frustration, his tired eyes aching and a twinge of heat stung at the back of his orbs. Fighting back tears and the shiver in his voice, Changmin muttered in despair, “I can never get this right…” 

 

Yunho sighed and stood up to get something from his bag. He sat back beside Changmin and pressed a bottle of water against the magnae’s face. The younger one groaned weakly and turned his head away. The leader left the bottle between them and drank his water, cold liquid caressing his dry throat and reviving his exhausted body ever so slightly. Almond eyes lifted to gaze at the white ceiling. He let the music calm him, wash through him. 

 

This room was where the five of them had prepared for debut. The three of them, Jae, Chun, and Min were less capable of dancing and Yunho and Junsu had to spent extra time practicing every moves with them. But they were five, and their strength were multiplied by five. No matter how exasperated they were, and how strict the leader was, they would always end up joking during breaks, and encourage each other. Spirits were easily raised, and truthfully, Yunho was not a person capable of making jokes out of the blue. That was Junsu’s job. And Yoochun would always laugh at him with Changmin. Then Jae and him would watch and giggle, the oldest one occasionally bursting some ridiculous comments in reply. 

 

Now it’s just the two of them, and its up to Yunho to cheer the magnae up. 

 

Changmin weeped quietly beneath his hands, tears sliding down the side of his face, he sobbed helplessly. He missed the other three, and he felt like he was burdening his leader. The leader that picked up moves like breathing, that danced in grace flowing to the music, body matching to the beats effortlessly. Anguish blurred all his senses, he slid one arm onto the ground, the other arm thrown over his eyes, Changmin bit his lip to silent his uncontrollable sobs. 

 

“Changmin-ah, standing on the stage really feels great doesn’t it?” 

 

Yunho reached a hand out and entangled his fingers with the magnae’s hand, laying lifelessly beside his body. “All the fans cheering, screaming, supporting. That was what pulled us up after the three had left, and pillared us till now.” 

 

 

“No one was born to be a performer, Min-ah. Just as no one was born to dance. Some may be talented naturally, picking up things easily, but all people have to learn and work hard in some point to gain applauses. Jaejoongie and Junsu used to at singing, Yoochun took years to pick up on piano and acting, and I, took ages as well to become skilful in dancing.” Strong fingers squeezed long ones in encouragement. 

 

Yunho slipped his hand away from Changmin’s grasp and ran his beautiful fingers through the younger’s wet locks soothingly. “I am your hyung, it’s okay to rely on me. You are my dongsaeng, so its normal for me to take care of you. Doesn’t matter how much of a monster you became.” 

 

Changmin laughed lightly, tears finally beginning to seize. His arm was moved away from his face by a warm hand. He squinted his eyes to adapt to the light. His hyung smiled reassuringly down at him, power radiating from his presence. A chocolate bar dangled above his eyes, and a small grin tugged at his lips. 

 

“This is your favourite right? Come on, let’s try again?” Sniffing, Changmin snatched the bar and sat up. He ripped the packaging quickly and bit as Yunho wiped his face of tears with a tissue. 

 

The chocolate bar was finished in seconds and Changmin grabbed the bottle of water standing beside him and gulped it down. Yunho stood up with his bottle of water, used tissue and chocolate bar packaging. After throwing the trash into the bin, he placed his bottle next to his bag and noticed an unseen message in his phone.

 

He smiled and quickly typed a reply before restarting the music, “Let’s go step by step, okay Changmin?”

 

The magnae hummed and nodded, putting away his bottle of water and stood beside his Yunho-hyung, facing the mirror.

 

Yunho’s forgotten phone blinked again signalling an incoming message. 

 

From Jaejoongie<3

Minnie would be fine, you are there! ;)

Su and Chun can’t wait to see your new music video too! 

Take care ^^ Homin fighting!

See you two on Sunday! XD

Oh, and I love you, Yunnie <3