a.

Her Blue Eyes

July 24th, 2001

"Seungwan?" Seungwan's mother knocked on the door of her daughter's room, the said girl opened the door almost instantly.  

Her mother smiled, "Are you ready to see Aunt Yongi?" Seungwan nooded with excitement.  She had never met her aunt before, but she had heard so many wonderful things about her, she was told that her aunt was a model and a famous dancer. her mother showed her pictures of her aunt, she looked exactly like her mother, except her aunt had brown eyes and her mother had icey blue eyes.

"Mum, why does Aunt Yongi look like you?" Seungwan asked curiously & her mother replied, "Your aunt & I are twins.  That means we were born at the same time, but she's older than me by four minutes." 

"Then why do you have blue eyes?"

"I don't know really, but I was just born like this.  You were too, & you're eyes are the prettiest I've ever seen."  Her mother said, Seungwan's hair,  soon she turned around and clapped, "Okay!  Everyone to the car!" she shouted so everyone could hear her.

"Aunt Yongi lives on the beach."  Seungwan's mother said just before they got into the car, Seungwan's eye widened and she squealed with joy.

Seungwan adored the beach.

When the everyone was in the car, they began driving towards the beach.  After about fourty-five minutes of driving they finally arrived at Yongi's house, the beach was so close the Seungwan wanted to run to the beach and jump into the water instead of meeting the woman she admired ever since her she saw a photo of her.

Seungwan's father knocked on the door, as soon as it opened Seungwan felt extremely nervous and hid behind her mother.

"Sookyeoung!"  She heard a smooth, beutiful voice say her mother's name and saw two slim,pale arms wrap around her mother.  

Her mother chuckled, "Hi unnie.  How are you?" She said, doing the same as her twin.

"I'm great! I'm so glad you were able to come!  This my only week I have off, after this I have a photoshoot in Milan and then I'm going to perform in Paris and then I'm going-" 

"I got it, I'm glad I was able to make it too.  Also Seungwan's been dying to meet you." Her mother turned around to look at her daughter. "C'mon sweety, say hello to Aunt Yongi."  After a few moments of silence, Seungwan slowly shuffled too see her aunt.  When she looked up, she saw the women who she praised face go from calm to a mixture of shocked and disgusted. 

"Oh my god!  Her eyes!  They're horrifying!"  Her aunt jumped back and faced her mother, "Her eyes are brighter than yours!  People will probably think she's blind or something!"

"Yongi!" Her mother nearly screamed, "Don't you dare say that about my daughter!" Seungwan felt tears well up in her eyes.

"It's true!  Look at her eyes, it's creepy-"  Before she could even finish, her mother slapped Yongi, "I am tired of you saying that.  Ever since we were young you've been saying that & now you're saying that to my child?  Yongi you need to learn to grow up.  We didn't plan this five weeks in advance & drive for four-five minutes to listen to you critisize my daughter because she was born like this."  the tears began to fall and Seungwan began sobbing, causing both of the women to stop and look at the child, she looked up at her mother, then her aunt, turned around and ran towards the beach.

She ignored her mother's calls and ran towards the beach, running towards the water and jumping in, not taking off her shoes, not caring.  She swam around until the sun set.  She trudged out of the water, onto the dry sand & sat down.  There were only a few people left, mostly college students and middle aged couples, she looked around, admiring the view.

After a while, it was dusk, Seungwan decided to walk back to her aunt's home.  Luckily, her aunt's house was the largest and it was the only house coloured hot pink.  She walked up the three steps and knocked on the door, when it opened she was greeted by her aunt who was staring at her with guilt in her eyes.  Seungwan walked past her and saw her parents sitting on a couch, her mother had her her face buried in her hands and her father looking around the room nervously with a hand on his wife's back.  His eyes met Seungwan's & he ran towards her scooping her up off the ground & hugging her tightly.  Her mother saw and she scurried towards the two, encircling her arms around both of them.

"Seungwan, we were so worried about you!" Her father said, placing a kiss on top of her head, she heard her mother sobbing,  "Please don't ever do that again." He whispered, she nodded.

"Dad, can you put me down?  There's sand in my pants and I want to take a shower." Her father gently put her down, patted her back & let her go to the washroom.

The week carried on, everyone going to the beach except her aunt, everytime they ate together, there would be an uncomfortable silence & after three days, her aunt had to leave for an emergency dance practice.  That ended their vacation.

When they got home, Seungwan looked in the mirror almost every hour, inspecting her eyes. 

After that summer, almost everything changed.

 

When Seungwan started school, people began to tease about her eyes.

"Seungwan, do you shoot icicles out of your eyes?"

"Are you an alien?"

"Are your parents monsters or something?"

Her friends from the grade before noticed and joined the kids who made fun of her, she had no one to turn to.

She hated her life.

October 12th, 2007

A fist slammed into Seungwan's left eye, another slammed into her right.

"I'm doing a favour for you Seungwan." Soojung hissed, throwing another punch at Seungwan's left eye, "Having black eyes is way better than having freaky blue eyes."

The punches continued for another few minutes, with a knee to the stomach or a hard slap every now and then.  When Soojung finished, she left Seungwan sliding down the wall, the clicking of her heels echoing through the empty hallway.

Seungwan couldn't even open her eyes, she couldn't even stand up, she couldn't even scream for help.

She just let her tears slide down her swollen, red cheeks & hope that no one came & saw her like this.

"I hate these stupid eyes." She said, it was barely a whisper.