Contact

Rebellion or Capitulation [Hiatus]

 

 

Wooyoung was mostly satisfied. Despite the annoying presence of Minjun who loved to - and seemed to developed a habit of turning his life into a living hell - there were no major problems he had to face. Very satisfying. And well deserved. Without the ambition and devotion he showed for the work he had to do Wooyoung doubted the capital would be where it was today: a flouring trading point. Yes, Wooyoung took pride in helping to establish so wonderful over a couple of years. But, he thought and his expression fell much too the dismay of his closest servant who knew very well what followed, nobody appreciated his efforts. Those bastards called ministers only cared about their fortune and how to enrich it. "I want to strangle them, Jokwon," he muttered and the slightly shorter but leaner man did not have to ask who he exactly meant. He knew his master's tendencies to express his anger openly. And the conversation with the three guards of the minister of taxation did not help, in his point of view. Not knowing what was going on in his companion's head, the trade house owner remembered the past conversation. It stucked in his head like a parasite refusing to let go.

His interest was piqued. The undertone in the speacher's voice showed some hidden secret. Ah, he loved those. So very entertaining, just his taste.

"So," he started slowly. Wooyoung did not want to appear too eagerly. It did not go well with his reputation and was an advantage for the three men. "What exactly does the minister wished me to do?"

"Nothing much," came the calm reply. The triumphant glint in the guard's eyes made Wooyung boil. He realised he gave himself away the second he asked the question. Damn you and your curiosity, he cursed himself in his head. What a great start to show superiority, especially in front of those arrrogant jerks. "Our master asked you the favour to find a certain blacksmith. Known for his efficiency and discretion under the folk the minister wished for his services. The honoured Lord Horvejkul recommended his services before and was very satisfied with it. His son performed a beautiful sword practice and will show his skills in three days on the King's day," the guard explained further, jealousy clearly shown in his face, Wooyoung hid a smirk. Poor guy, it must bother him to be just a spectator. Still, his mind did not feel easy. Lord Horvejkul... a fearsome if not dangerous man. There were rumours he killed his own brother to get what he wanted. Wooyoung didn't believe careless spoken words. In his trade house only high-class information circulated around. Even a tiny miscalculation could destroy his carefully knitted net of spies and contracts. He lived a scray life himself and enjoyed it without hurting someone permaneently. But he could imagine that man doing whatever it takes to reach his goal.

He turned his focus back on his guests. "The blacksmith has kind of a reputation," he concluded. A nod. "Yes, you can say that."

Wooyoung leaned forward. "Care to tell me his name? Or don't you it? I won't blame you. There's only so much a palace guard can do." Their faces changed its color. "Be careful what you say," the guyon the left growled. "On word of our master and your business is gone, understood?" Wooyound did not even blink. He was used to threats. A small smile played on his lips. "As I remembered it was you who came to me not the other way around. Your threat is useless in this case." He made a gesture as if he shooed a mosquito away. "Back to my question. Do you know his name or not?"

"We do." Wooyoung smiled. "Great, that spares me a lot of time."

"His name is Ok Taecyeon and belongs to a traditional blacksmith family."

Wooyoung frowned. Ok Taecyeon? He heard of him. One of his spies told him he had contact with the rebels. Well, not his business. Still, he hated the idea to get down to that smithy he knew all too well. It was not that he had met Taecyeon personally but he refused to set a feet in a smithy in particular. Especially, if it belongs to the Ok's. He held a grudge to the later Ok. That man embarrassed him years ago and Wooyoung was no one to forgive easily.

"I still don't understand why you want that man so desperately. There are plenty of other blacksmiths better than him. Why that guy?" He tried to reason, not that it worked if he studied the faces of the men.

This time the second guard spoke up again. "The reason why the nobles are so fond of him aren't his efficiency and discretion," he started, "but his guaranteed silence. Whatever request a customer makes you can be ensured nobody will hear of it."

Wooyoung raised an eyebrow. "Is that so?" Deep in thoughts he stared at the opposite wall. An ideaformed in his head. A crazy idea. "Jokwon!" he shouted demandingly. Immidiately, his servant rushed to his side not bothering to greet the guests. The short man had quite an attitude. Wooyoung liked that. It gave him the support he nedded to keep some customers in check. "Go find that blacksmith these gentlemen are looking for." He didn't bother to tell Jokwon the blacksmith's name. His servant had excellent hearing. The short man turned around after nodding and raised an eyebrow. It was clearly shown on his face that he doubted the guards were gentlemen. "Jokown...," Wooyoung warned. His servant glared at him and left.

"Kind an attitude he has," the spokeman stated, half angry, half amused. "Not very obedient, huh?" Wooyoung couldn't oversee the little smirk playing on that man's lips. Jerks, he thought but kept his calm. Over the years he had leanred to wear a neutral expression. As a trader is was futil to show emotions while negotiating. "You don't have to concern yourself with my servant," he said coolly. "Another question: for what purpose do you need Ok Taecyeon?"

Hearing the answer made him almost laugh. "Knowing too much is dangerous." Wooyoung leaned forward, slightly amused. "Tell me," he said smiling, "who am I?" Confused glances. They were thrown off guard. Their practice in mental attacks seemed lacking. "Who am I?" he repeated smoothly. Eventually, the guard who had not spoken a word until now cleared his throat. "Sir...? We don't understand."

Wooyoung nodded like someone who expected that answer. "Of course, you don't." A dangerous glint appeared in his eyes. Slowly, he stood up and walked around his desk. "Let me give you an advice." He used a casual tone. That was the most fun. "When coming into another one's house stay polite. Or better: Investigate your sourroundings before acting all hight and mighty." He stopped in front of the third guard. He was young, barely in his twenties. Faster than he could react Wooyoung held a knife on his cheek, arms turned painfully on his back. His companions tried to move but Wooyoung stopped. "Draw your swords and I'll kill him." He would show no mercy. The two hesitated. Wooyung smiled. "Let me tell you something else. A trade owner is never what he seemed to be. Informations are what I trade with. Dangerous is my second name. And now, tell me the minister's plan or you might come back with a person less." He bluffed, yes. But the guards don't need to know that. In many situations, it was a bluff who saved a life. The spokeman sighed. "We don't know. We're only his messengers. It's for a greater purpose, I think." Wooyoung nodded and pushed his victim to the other two. "I hope you find the way out yourselves, gentlemen," he said and opened the door. The guards nodded and dissappeared soon in the mass. "Was that necessary?" a voice he knew too well asked. Wooyoung rolled his eyes. "Shut up, Minjun. I handle my guests just fine." Minjun raised an eyebrow. "I'd never said less," he murmured and went downstairs.

And now he found himself in a district where the air was filled with smells he was not desirous to identify. Jokwon, staying by his side all the time, looked around carefully. Being Wooyoungs errand boy from time to time led him to this part of the capital. He knew there were thiefs everywhere. Here was the line between the rich and the poor. The district functioning as a bridge. "I hate it," Wooyoung complained and scrunched his nose. "Why in the gods name would that stupid guy work here?," he exclaimed, earning a few angry stared. His servant sighed. "Please shut your mouth, Woo," he groaned. Outside, where nobody knew their identity, he dared to be frank with the other. "If not I leave you here. Don't forget I know the location, you don't." Wooyoung muttered some incoherrent words, closed his mouth regardless. Jokwon smiled in relief and continued their way through the booths. It was market day down here. Most of the people would not attend the King's day since they couldn't allow their fields to be abandonded. The danger of attacks was too great while showing his gratitude to the king. Well, most of the people hoped to be unharmed if they didn't show up. But in most cases trained soldiers would drag the poor ones to upper town and when they returned the chance was fifty-fifty their land was intact.

"We're here," Jokown announced. Wooyung's lips where pressed into a thin line. The dark hut was still the same. The non-existent door, the small and dirty window - the only one with glass - and the hard to read letters over the doorframe showing who lived here. Well, Wooyoung thought, now it should only be the son. As far as he knew the later Ok passed away seven years ago because of an illness nobody could cure. Soon after his wife followed, being overrun by drunken riders. Their son sought revenge and killed the murderer. There was no proof. But Wooyung was sure it was the truth. He would had done the same. "Here I go," he sighed and went in the smoky hut.

 

 

 

Ok Taecyeon was no guy to be made fun of. The years on the forge since being a child steeled his body, made him built the strength he needed as a blacksmith.  That didn't meant he wasn't sweating. He was, for sure. Small droplets ran down his neck in the thin fabric of his shirt. His muscles flexed when he lifted the hammer. The heat most of his customers complained about did not bother him that much anymore. It didn't hurt as much as it did at the beginning when his father taught him his handcraft. Taecyeon remembered his amazement when he watched his father standing hours for hours, sweat dripping down his skin, soaking his clothes, but no sign of tireness. At that time he wished he could become like his father; strong, sedulous and bringing joy. The few friends he had shook their head at his eagerness. "You're setting your goal to high," one said. "You won't become your father," another one said. "We'll see what happens." Those sentence had fuelled Taecyeon's ambition only more so he started to work hard. In the end it paid off. Every time he finished a request and handed it over to a satisfied customer he imagined his father standing on his side, smiling proudly at him. If only those drunkards hadn't come that day. How often crossed that thought his mind and how often did a certain brat told him it would not change a thing. Taecyeon knew the words were true but they hurt. And he hated everything hurting. A Paradox, considering his craft. But working as a blacksmith was different. He believed he created something good. How it was used was not his business even though he knew all too well it was for darker purposes sometimes. With one last hit on the metal he dunked the object which slowly turned into a sword in the cool water. The fizzling noise sounded like music to his ears.

""Excuse me?" a voice interrupted his work. He looked up. Two small men  walked up. While the shorter one seemed to feel comfortable the other one took a nervous glance around. Taecyeon hid a smirk. There were always a few customers who feared the fire or hated the smell of sweat. "What can I do for you?" he asked kindly.

"Are you Ok Taecyeon?" the shorter man asked. He must also been the one who firstly raised his voice.

"Yes, I am. And you might be?" Now he was suspicious. Their attitude was different from others. He smelled trouble. "My name is Jokwon and that nervous wreck of a guy is Wooyoung, we wish for you to come with us."

Taecyeon laughed out. "And what make you think I follow you like an obedient dog follows his master?"

Those two exchanges glances. There seemed to be a silent battle between them. Eventually, the one who chose to stay silent made a careful approach. "You have two options. One, to go with us and cause no harm. Second, you wait until the minister of taxation hears of your refusal to go with us and brings you to him forcefully. You choose," he said shrugging. Taecyeon was confused. "When the minister wishes for my services he just has to bring someone for a request, why those drastic measures?" He could clearly see how Wooyoung tried to stay calm. It seems he did not deal often with intelligent people. "If it takes no damage to my salary while I'm away I guess I take the opportunity to show my face in the higher district," he hummed and smiled broadly. His teeth shone in the light of the fire flaring in the forge. "Let's go." His new companions seemed to be surprised but guided him nonetheless. The blacksmith wondered why he had to show up in someone's house he had no delivery to make. But he gave up to understand the logic of the higher-ups. He liked to stay out of political things and the network of intrigues hovering over everything. Like everyone close to him. As he looked back he saw a figure going to the backyard of his house. Dark brown hair glimmered in the sunlight. He shook his head. His friend loved the risk it brings to come here way too much. Well, they would talk later. When he came back. He did not consider he would not come back at all.

 

__________________________

I apologize for the long wait... My computer had decided to break down, my handy had to be the replacement. I hope there aren't too much mistakes-.- The next chapter will be longer. Writing ona little display is just grr enervating and bothersome. Well, now everything is fine again, jippih and I can write on a normal keyboard.^^ Long live technicians :D

Have a nice day, see ya~