Cross-over

Rebellion or Capitulation [Hiatus]

 

 

 

The morning sun rose in the sky, wrapped the world in a golden shimmer, announcing the awakening day. People started to follow their duties, going on the fields, working in the smithies, the trade houses opened their doors. Merchants streamed in and out, telling stories of foreign countries most of the listeners will not be able to see in their life-time. Still, their dreams were kept alive, being fed with the spoken words. In the main streets salesman praised their merchandise, women bought what they needed to present a meal at home. Noises filled the capital, vibrating in many ears. Different aromas lingered in the air, mixed with each other creating new scents.

In a small part of the capital was held a special market. Outsiders may expected a black market, selling illegal weapons, drugs and things one could only imagine. The sight that unfolded the unknowing visitor who lost his way and found this place at coincidence may feel shocked. Men and women, all passing the age of forty, standing or sitting in front of the face of small houses. In their rough hands, wrinkled and tanned from working under the sun the whole time, white sheets of paper could be seen. One who took one will find the name of females written on it, their date of birth, their family background. Most of the women hidden behind those names were daughters or nieces of the older ones.

Society lacked women. In a time where wars happened to be a daily basis the mindset existed only male newborn had the right to live since they were the pillars of every country. Female foetus were murdered once they saw the light of life. Girls were not able to join the military and protect the country. In conclusion, they were useless.

Now, when peace took overhand and boundaries helped to keep the borders safe, top-ranking politicians began to understood the consequences of actions they arranged years ago to be done. Society changed. Men did not want just any women. They wanted someone who was pretty, took care of children and managed the household. Someone who did not talk back. In contrary women wanted a rich man, one with influence: a scholar, an officer, a noble man. They realised their increasing value. In desperation to meet those standards parents took drastic actions to fulfil the wishes of both parties. They tried to sell their off-springs to a wealthy man. Persons concerned did not care. As long as they got what they wanted they did not question their parents actions.

The bride market how it was called was already crowded. Men of high degree ambled passed the older people, stopping sometimes to look up the dates written on a sheet of paper before continuing their way. Some even played with the forced hope of the bride-makers and acted as if they were interested before leaving.

“How disgusting,” one man murmured, eyes focussed on the people praising their goods. His clothes signalled wealth. The high held head told of his pride and the strong gaze showed his opponents that he did not belonged to the spineless and corrupted men dominating the government. He was known under the name of Nichkhun Horvejkul. Being a foreigner himself he understood the struggles strangers had to endure. In fact, past experiences fuelled his determination to stand on top of high class and help people in need.

Soon, the expected answer of his life guard reaches his ears: “You should not be affected by their greed and despair, milord.”

He sighed. “You know I can not ignore the injustice that corrupts the world we live in, my dear Chansung. You should know better.”

“I do, milord” the tall man on his side hummed, light amusement shown on his outstanding features.

Nichkhun shook his head. Sometimes, he really wanted to smack the other's head. “Why do you always give me the feeling you do not take me serious, my precious guard?”, he asked, letting his irritation slip past his composed appearance. His guard did not answer and they continued their way through the bridal market. Resentment filled every pore of the noble man's body as he saw a man clad in silk giving a woman in her late forties a packet of money which she grabbed eagerly while bowing. The man nodded shortly, a small grin on his lips and taking a familiar looking sheet of paper with him. “He should rot in jail,” Nichkhun grumbled, hands balled to fist.

“Milord...” Chansung shot him a warning glare. “Please restrain yourself. People are watching.”

In fact a few people stopped in their tracks, curious looks in their eyes as they watched the pair. Suddenly, Nichkhun felt out of place. He knew with his face he captured many hearts without doing anything than smiling or giving someone a wink. Besides, his light brownish hair stood out. Even though wearing a hat or a scarf to hide, with Chansung on his side every effort was meaningless. The tall guard caught the attention of many, especially those who used martial arts and lived the life of a soldier. There was a certain reputation he hold and looking Italian did not helped at all. Nichkhun imagined banging his head on a wall. Why did he choose that guy to protect him? Because he wanted only the best and was very picky when it came to looks. Blame himself.

“Are you all right, milord?” Chansung's worried voice pierced through the fog clouding his mind. He blinked a few times, his brain processing the just spoken words. “I... I was just spacing out,” he said defensively. “Concentrate on your task, you with an inquisitive mind.” Short laughter was heard. Satisfied, he headed to the inner city complex leaving the immoral district behind.

 

 

The dimmed oil lamps lightened the room merely and he furrowed his brows. A couple of eyes followed every step he took and watched every move he made. The uneasiness built up in his stomach, making him feel uncomfortable. Wearing a stern mask he walked down the small floor which lead to an inconspicuous door. He took a deep breath before pushing down the handle and sliding in the cosy room. His ears were greeted by two female voices. Hiding his amusement he sat on a chair in front of both women who examined him with raised eyebrows. Blond and red. Now, only a black haired had to appear.

The red head tipped with her perfect manicured fingernails on the table. Tack, tack, tack. The sound made him nervous for no reason. Or maybe because there was one. Something he did or said she did not like at all. He just knew it.

“Care to explain?”

He just shrugged his shoulders. Keep calm, he thought. It was his slogan for a long time. Smiling and waving. Why did a child came to his mind? How many years ago was it? He could not remember. The memories of his childhood were foggy and uncompleted. As if it was hidden behind misty walls.

“Moron, what did ya do?” the older one scolded him, looking half amused, half displeased. He cocked his head to the side. “Dunno,” he answered nonchalantly. “What d'ya mean, Jia?”

“Will you talk properly?” the red woman cut in, both hands on her hips. “We didn't raise you to be a unsociable idiot.”

“Charming as ever,” he murmured, a hand running through his thick black hair. “Can you get me a drink, Min?”

She furrowed her brows. “Will you call me 'Mother' already,” she sighed but still headed to the cupboard, where all kind of alcohol was stored. Some were from foreign countries, shipped in by merchants. Those two would've been able to successfully open a store in no time, he thought, drumming his fingers on the rough surface of the wooden desk. They knew how to handle business.

“Are you listening?”

He blinked. “What?”

Min sighed. “Jia, dear,” she turned to her sister. “What did I do wrong to be treated like this? Without respect and worship.”

“For what exactly do you demand that?” he interfered, Jia not even giving a chance to answer her sister. “You taught me to be honest, witty and to be able to defend myself. The things you're not.”

“You little...” Min grumbled, “how dare you raise your voice against me?”

“You don't like it? Well, I don't like the fact you keep hiding your true identities. Is everything of you fake?”

The women stand there in silence, shocked expressions on their faces. A part of him understood it. Being confronted like this, it was ugly. On the other side... did he had a chance? They should know how he hated it to be left in the dark, knowing nothing. People who tried to mess with him in this kind of way paid bitterly.

“Woo...”

Instinctively he looked up. Once again he felt like a little child being cared of. Why did he had to grow up? “Will you tell me already?” he muttered, slightly irritated. The silence after the term of endearment made him uncomfortable. He needed to know.

 

 

 

Steps echoed through the empty streets, followed by loud screaming voices, telling the running man to stop. But he could not. Did not want to. Who on earth prefers a life in a small cell, caged like a bird, excluded from the ado in the outside world compared to the freedom he had now? The chasing, the running, the adrenalin circulating through his body, making him electrified? Nothing could beat this feeling, the feeling of being himself.

He could hear the dogs barking and the well-known whistling sounds. It seems, this patrol was faster than the one a few days back. They learned fast.

A little smile crept on his lips. This could become fun.

Stop it, a voice demanded in his head. Please, I beg you.

He felt as if ice was running down his spine. He forgot. Who was it? The voice sounded so familiar. Someone he knew?

 

Lee Junho woke up suddenly, his breath heavy. He clutched the thin blanket that covered his body. That dream... it was a while since he last had it. Why did it came back now? Was it a warning? Confused, he rubbed the bridge of his nose and stumbled into the morning sun which greeted him brightly. He heard the sound of sharpened metal and the screaming of children running around.

Here, deep in the forest, where it was seldom that a living soul showed up they were safe. Not being bound by law anymore every single man and woman living in this small community lost the safety they were used.

When he thought about the government, the higher-ups living in their residence securely, knowing nothing about the people living near the borders, anger build inside him. In the past war not only land was lost but also the lives of many, deaths without meaning. Homes of families were destroyed and no help was given to provide things that were needed. In Junho's eyes that had showed the real character of the people governing this principality. That time he had decided that it was enough. He had not had the wish to support the cruelty reigning above the nation any longer. That time he had abandoned everything.

“Hyung!” A shout made him turn. A little boy came running, cheeks red and eyes glistening. He slung thin arms around his leg and clung on him for dear life. “Jokwon is a meanie,” the little one sniffed. “He keeps calling me a weakling.”

“Ah, my little Jiwon,” he cooed and skipped the young one in his arms. A tear-strained face hid in his chest. “You're a big boy, right?” He got a small nod accompanied with a sniff. “Remember what I told you before?”

There was a soft mumble.”Big boys don't cry.” And after another pause: “I-I won't c-cry any more.”

“Ah, you learned well, Jiwonnie,” Junho smiled and ruffled his hair. “Now go and have fun. Your brother is probably searching for you.” The little one jumped off his arms and vanished in the thicket. Still amused Junho headed to the meeting point, a little hut aside the small village they built years ago. Everyone was already gathered and their team leader was ready to start talking when he entered.

“You're late,” he stated from the other side of the room. Junho bowed his head apologetically. “I'm sorry, sir.”

“Well, I won't ask why. Your latest excuse was a disgrace. This one would be worse I imagine.” Occasional laughter filled the air but one look of their team leader and silence reigned. Heat rose to the younger one's face. For someone not used to this kind of talk may think of the man in his middle thirties as rude and cold. That was surely not the case. He cared for every single person under his wing. Before he became an outlaw he was a respected general in the military. Discipline and rationality was engraved in his mind and made others feel hard to approach. Junho did not know what turned him into a rebel and even though his curiosity drove him mad sometimes he knew better than to ask. Some topics should not be addressed.

“Listen, guys,” the man with the biggest authority commanded, “I planned out a few things for the next days. As you know the palace recruited a few new guards, one capable of shooting an amateur in a blink of an eye.” No one uttered a word. Fifteen pairs of eyes stared at him, listening attentively. “Also, I heard frequently there's a noble who seems to think it's his duty to erase us from this country. I would do the same to him but sadly he doesn't even want to speak with me.” The guys grinned and Junho imagined the facial expression of an old aristocrat looking scared at the former general. He liked to see it one day. “Anyway,” two fierce eyes captured his, “I want you, Junho, to sneak in his house and steal some informations regarding trading issues with other kingdoms. A little bird whispered in my ear that he's currently building up his influence and I fear he'll make our lives to hell if he's going to have coffee parties with our dear king.“

“Why not just killin' him?” one of the older one asked, disapproval clearly shown on his face. Their leader shook his head. “No, it will drag attention to us. Attention, we don't need at the moment.”

“I don't think it's a good idea, sir,” Joon cut in, worry clearly shown on his face. Being the same age as himself, they were as close as the mark of being a rebel allowed them. Beside the leader Junho did not put his trust into another person. Well, except one.

“What if we got caught in the act?” Joon's voice brought him back to reality. “You know what happens to us once we're caught. They show no mercy. The last time we got away, luckily. Not to forget that we almost lost Doojoon...” Silence filled the room. Nobody wanted to be reminded of the day they tried to fool the palace guard. If it was not for the little child's help throwing stones at the armed men everyone would probably have rotten in jail until their death. And Doojoon would not lie on a sickbed and recover from the catastrophe they had experienced. They had been lucky for sure.

“Junho!”

He flinched and blinked. “Yes, sir?”

A sigh. “Don't space out. Especially when I explain how to sneak in a well protected residence.” The younger felt his cheeks heating again. Second time being scolded today. “I'm sorry, sir. It won't happen again.” A raised eyebrow told him that the other doubted his words. “Fine, here is the exact procedure...”

 

 

 

“He shall be bound to all obligations,” a stern voice ordered, echoing through the wide hall. It was time required for judging. Bimonthly the highest officials held a court to give convictions to a varied number of people, both criminals and accusers. Men from all around the country surged to the capital only for the reason to be entertained. Surely, that was an assurance no one doubted. The proclamation of sentence on the other side was accepted questioningly most of the time. Everyone knew men were paid to say from what the powerless would not benefit in any way. The world did not know justice. Money reigned above all. An unspoken and given law.

Murmur raised as the convict stood up, wearing a mask of resignation. He was a farmer, being accused of fraud he never did. Following the sentence he would live on the breadline. How was he supposed to feed his family?

“Bastards,” a tall man hissed, clenching his fist. He belonged to the blacksmiths, being acknowledged by many and earning enough to live a good life if he wanted. But his conscience did not allowed that to happen. Things he could afford to live without he gave away with no second thought. Wry looks were thrown at him but he did not care. He was filled with anger, anger about the corruption and unscrupulousness men allowed to let exist in this world. How he wished to turn the tables, how he wished he could sit there and judge the greedy ones ruining the life of the poor. How he wished and how he hated he could not.

“Don't let them show your disgust,” a quiet voice whispered beside him. He looked down to see a older woman staring at the convicted farmer. “They'll punish you. You don't want that, right?”

Before he realised he shook his head. A smile tucked at her lips even though she did not have him one glance. “You're young and proud. But you have to learn how to hide your feelings. Shall I show you?” Now she turned to him, her eyes sparkling.

Before he could answer a loud scream pierced his ears. Everyone's eyes averted to a woman in her maybe late twenties kneeling on the ground, hands covered . Confusion filled him. He did not understand. Did he miss something? His eyes fell on a figure laying in front of her on the stomach. It was the farmer. Beside him a man with a sword kept still. Blood flowed down the blade dripping in the pool of blood that had already formed on the dirty ground. Slowly, the situation hit him. The woman beside him sighed. “How troublesome,” she murmured. “Now people will look down on her. Cruel men.” She turned back to him. “So will you come with me?”

“Will it change anything?” he asked bitterly, focussed on the dead body held by his wife.

“That's for you to decide,” the woman answered, a mysterious glint in her eyes. “It can be useful, it can be a waste of time.”

“If I come with you will I be able to change the things that need to change?” He only got a smile. Slowly, he set a step forward. His mind told him to stay. The woman was a stranger. She could harm him. But his heart urged him to take the chance. Who knew what will happen? He could turn the life of many and more importantly – he could have his family back. His family the government cut into pieces. The family he cherished.  

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I present the first chapter, wuhuu. It took me some time to write but I still hope it's enjoyable.^^ Leave your  comments and thoughts. It's always fun to read and spur me on.

And as I said before for the next  update it probably feels like thousand years had already passed :P I'm sorry in advance. *bows*

So have a good night/day/ morning. Whatever time it is xD

See ya~