Croquette

Ferris Wheel

          A nice Sunday morning. What a perfect day to lay down in the bed all day. But not for today. Hakyeon already awake with excited mind and high expectation because he wanted to try new recipe this morning. Half anxious and half excited to try new things, he tiptoed to the kitchen, afraid to make a sound. Because a slightest sound he made, might woke the person who still asleep in the bed right now.

          At the kitchen, he prepared everything. Potatoes, minced meat, onion, butter, salt, pepper, eggs and the pan and pots to make the dish he wanted to try on. His eyes looked at the recipe and the ingredients back and forth. He hummed his favorite song while he cooked.

          Meanwhile in the bedroom, under a pile of blankets, there’s someone who still deep asleep despite all the sounds and smell from the kitchen. The curtain slightly open, made the light sneak in to the room, made the person scrunched his eyes and put his hand in front of his eyes to avoid the shining light in the middle of the darkness. In the end, he opened his eyes and realised that it’s already morning.

          He reached the other side of the bed to find that the other person who slept with him last night is gone. He frowned and get up from his position. Grab anything he could find to wear, he walked out from the room and smell the delicious scent of food in the making and the sizzling sound of something in the pan, sauteed.

          ‘What a nice morning’ he thought.

          Slowly, tried to not made any sound, he walked to the person who was busy in front of the stove with two pots and a pan. Carefully, he slid down his hands to hug the other’s waist and kiss the crook of the other’s neck. The other’s jumped slightly and relaxed when he knew who hug him.

          “G’morning,” he said with hoarse voice, chin on the shoulder of his boyfriend now.

          “Hey, Taek. Did I wake you?” Hakyeon, still busy stirring the minced meat and onion, patted Taekwoon’s head on his shoulder.

          “Nope. It’s because you’re no longer beside me. And the smell of your food… the sizzling and everything. What are you going to make, hmm?” he kissed Hakyeon’s shoulder and tightened the hug on the waist. “Why we don’t eat simple breakfast? Do we run out cereals and milk or bread and eggs? Oh, but I see you boiled four eggs…”

          “Shh. Just wash up and watch tv for a while okay. It’s still early for you that’s why you are whiny. And I just want to try new recipe.” He said while picked the eggs out from the pot and put it in a bowl of cold water in the sink. “Go!”

          “No, I don’t wanna…,” Taekwoon whined and pouted his mouth.

          “Tsk. You just gonna slow me down here, Taek. Go. It’ll gonna be ready soon. When you done wash up. Shoo shoo….”

          With that, Taekwoon gave him a light peck on the cheek before he went to the bedroom to get his clothes and shower in the bathroom inside their room.

          Hakyeon sped up to make the dish done before Taekwoon finish his shower. He put out the food processor and mashed the potatoes with it, and insert the yolk egg, the meat and in the end the white egg while he prepared the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs.

          Thirty minutes later, Taekwoon, who already freshened up after shower, walked to the kitchen to find out that the dish is already served. He now knew what the dish that made Hakyeon busy that morning.

          “Croquette?” he asked.

          “Yes. Looks nice, right?” Hakyeon pull the dinning chair and sat down with the apron still on.

          “Whatever you make always looks fine, Yeon-ah.” He said, sat down right across Hakyeon.

          “Well, dig in. Hope the taste is good.”

          Taekwoon looked at the platting. Hakyeon was always taking serious of esthetics. So the platting was so nice. Taekwoon smiled subconsciously and started to eat the dish. Hakyeon felt his heart beating two times or four times faster. Afraid about the taste that not suit Taekwoon’s liking. Taekwoon’s an easy eater. But, he really picky about what he liked about taste. Maybe he could eat anywhere, anything. But if the taste not right, he could be really mean and throw it right away.

          Hakyeon eyed Taekwoon’s behaviour when he chewed and swallowed the food down to his throat. One bite, two bites and then half of the croquette was eaten. Hakyeon couldn’t help himself but smile ear to ear and started to dig in. But, he scrunched his nose in dislike and looked at Taekwoon disbelief.

          “YA!” he yelled at Taekwoon who still chewed his croquette.

          “What?” he asked calmly.

          “How can you still eat that? It’s bland, tasteless!” Hakyeon sulked. He looked like crying any minutes and Taekwoon’s chuckle didn’t really help.

          “It is not. Well, it is a bit bland but it’s good. Try to eat it with the sauce. It’s better than you think, Yeon. You just need a little bit more seasoning,” Taekwoon tried to calm Hakyeon down and move to his side.

          “It’s failed. I’m failed.” Hakyeon walked to their living room and sat down on the sofa, looking down to his feet. Taekwoon followed him and stand before him.

          “No, it’s not, you’re not. Listen,” he paused and bended his knee in front of Hakyeon so he could see him in the eye. “You are a good cook, Yeon. It’s just an experiment, right? You try new recipe, and it didn’t going well, it’s okay. You will always make it again and use me as a tester. You know I will eat anything you cooked, right? No matter how it taste, your dish always be the best dish I’ll ever taste. So, please, don’t be sad.”

          “Really? You will always eat my dishes?” he asked with pleaded eyes. This kind of expression that made Taekwoon fall for him, deep.

          “I will. Always and forever,” he said with smile plestered on his use to be calm face. Hakyeon jumped in his embrace and then they back to the dinning room and enjoy their breakfast again.

          What a nice Sunday morning indeed.


an: failed fluff isn't it? *facepalm* I used to write angst so.... well... comments are welcome. maybe you can also give me prompt. <3