Two

The Royal Pretense
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A taxi slowly inched its way up the Byun residence's driveway. The taxi driver could help but gape at the vast property. The cab slowed to stop, and the driver turned around to look at the passenger expectantly. 

"We've arrived, miss." The passenger, a young, chic woman, pulled a few bills out of her clutch and handed them to the driver, who bowed his head and murmured a word of thanks. The woman stepped out of the car and headed toward the front door of the mansion. 

Her ebony, straight hair was piled into a neat bun at the top of her head. The crisp white blazer she was wearing contrasted with the dark jeans she match them with, and her clothes made her look classy and fashionable. Her upturned eyes, full lips, perfectly arched eyebrows, and tall nose further emphasized the kind of person she was-- beautiful, charming, and sophisticated. 

As soon as she stepped into the room where the boys were hanging out, Kai exclaimed, "Kim Hana, you're finally here! Where have you been lately?" Smiling, she greeted each of the boys with hugs. Kai and Baekhyun abandoned their game of billiards and focused their attention on the girl.

"I've been really busy with designer school," she explained as she settled down on a couch. "I got an internship at Vogue Korea for this coming summer." Baekhyun let out a whistle.

"Dang, congrats, you were probably working on your portfolios the whole time, right?" Sehun asked. Hana nodded in response. 

She sighed, "It's been really weird not seeing all of you these days. I'm more free now, so we should hang out more." Although she was only 19, Hana was quite ambitious. Since she was a child, she had always loved art and design, often spending hours sketching patterns all over her schoolwork. When she became older, she decided to pursue fashion, and luckily for her, Hana was from the upper middle class, meaning that her parents would be able to pay for the costly tuition fees of the best design school in Korea. Hana excelled in whatever she did and was admired by everyone around her, from parents to teachers to peers. 

"Well, we're glad you're here now," Baekhyun grinned. "We were just discussing Sehun's birthday before you came. Got any ideas as to how we should celebrate?" Baekhyun wiggled his eyebrows micheviously at Hana. 

Hana thought for a moment. "What have you thought of so far?" 

Kai shrugged. "Just the usual party. Booking a fancy venue, inviting everyone in our social circle, everyone dressing up nice ... You know ... the usual."

Sehun sighed internally, trying to ignore their conversation. Why couldn't the Crown Prince ever have a normal life with a normal party-- something quieter than what he was used to. He was just so tired of constantly being in the limelight. For the most part, his friends did understand his feelings, but they enjoyed their affluent lifestyles, even at the expense of their parents' numerous expectations.

They probably wouldn't be able to leave their comfortable lives and try being normal. He thought to himself, bitterly. On the other hand, Hana understood his annoyances better than anyone els

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter