Airplane

The Nine Items

Days had passed ever since I had met Liyin,and I hadn’t seen her name pop up on my screen once.

I know that I really could have just called her first,but I’m just too awkward on the phone.

Even though I’m awkward in general,phone calls are my weakness.I’ve been told that my voice sounds different from the other line in a negative way,and that's why I can't seem to muster up the courage to just call her.

I was in my room,fiddling with a pencil and just waiting and waiting for a new notification to pop up.

"Come on,Kim Jongdae,"I told myself, "Why can't you just call the girl?It's not that hard."

But pep talking myself barely helped as I made no effort to even try.

"I really am pathetic,"I said to myself.

Suddenly,I felt a cool breeze fill my room,bringing a paper airplane along with it.

Getting up from my chair,I went to pick it up.

It was just made with regular notebook paper,but the handwriting on it felt familiar.

"Hi,Kim Jongdae.Remember me?It's Zhang Liyin,the girl you met a few days ago and now your new apartment neighbor."

‘No way..’

I rushed to my window to see her,smiling and giving me a small wave.

I could barely believe my eyes.

“Liyin..?”

She laughed a little and replied, “Hey.”

“How are you here?”

“Well,I needed a place to move to,so this seemed like a good apartment complex.However,I was not expecting this.”

“Was it a good surprise to see me here?”I asked,to which she nodded her head.

“Definitely.”

She smiled at me,and at that moment,I felt like I was dreaming.

“So..since I’ve just moved and I’ve got a lot of stuff,would you do me a favor and help me move everything in?”

I chuckled before replying, “Of course.”

-----------------------------------------

“How did you find this place out of all of the apartment complexes in Seoul?”I asked her as I helped her move a few boxes into her new apartment.

“Well,it was cheap,and I figured that it would be a nice place to move in for my first home here.I just didn’t expect to meet anyone that I knew here.”

“Oh,I see,”I replied, “You made a good choice then.”

She laughed, “I guess I did.Oh,could you get that small box over there and place it on the table?”

I did as I was told as I picked up the small box near the door that Liyin pointed to and placed it on the dining room table.

“Thanks,”she said, “Oh,and I also need you to help me get my piano inside.”

“You brought a piano?”I asked,surprised,to which she nodded her head with a smile.

“I mean,a songwriter needs to come up with an accompaniment somehow.Figured that I should at least have an instrument to do so.”

I chuckled slightly and kept thinking about how I wanted to hear her sing and her songs.

But this was only our second meeting,so I felt like I couldn’t really ask her to do such things like that.Although,the thought of it just made me even more curious about her music and her songwriting career that I couldn’t help but ask.

“So..is there a chance that I could be able to listen to your songs?”

She stood there with a bunch of boxes in her hands and looked at me for a second before answering, “I mean,there is a chance,definitely,but I haven’t really shared my work to the world yet.So until I’m confortable with it,sure.You can definitely be able to listen to my songs.”

Although it wasn’t an immediate yes,I smiled and all of a sudden had this feeling in my heart,almost as if it leaped for joy or something.It made me feel happier than I was when I first started helping out Liyin,and it felt like a good type of interesting.

Once Liyin and I finished unpacking all of her stuff,I took notice of the paper airplanes she had placed all throughout the house.There was one plane for each shelf she had,and it felt as if the apartment was just a paper airplane playground.

“What’s with all of the paper planes?”I asked her as we took a break on her couch.

“All of the paper planes have messages on them that I find nice to read over again every once and a while.Plus,they add to the decor,don’t they?”

“I guess they do.They do add up to make the whole place look nice.What kind of messages are on them?”

“A lot of them are from my best friend and I’s conversations.We used to live next door to each other and whenever we were bored,we would fly each other paper airplanes and talk through that way.”

“Is your best friend here in Korea?”

“No,she’s still in China.”

At that moment,I wanted to sigh in relief knowing that her best friend wasn’t a guy,but I refrained myself from doing so.

“Oh,I see.”

“She’s trying to become famous there as a dancer,and I think she’s doing pretty well there that she might even come over here to visit.”

“What’s her name?”

“Song Qian,but her stage name is Victoria.”

“Oh,I’ve heard of her,now that I think about it.”

“Really?”Liyin asked surprised,to which I nodded my head.

“I heard that she’s really flexible.”

“She’s extremely flexible;I find her flexibility not even possible to be true sometimes,”Liyin said,chuckling.

As we both kept talking about more about her best friend,she brought up the topic of the airplanes again.

“I had told her that I actually wanted to do this with my future boyfriend,communicating through paper airplanes.We both laughed at the time because the both of us were basically dreaming.”

“You mean,you’ve never had a boyfriend?”

“Nope,”she said as she shook her head, “With me caught up in my world of songwriting,I never really bothered to have one.”

‘Huh,’I thought to myself, ‘I’m surprised she doesn’t have one,let alone never has had one.’

“But a lot of people who write songs get their messages from experiences,don’t they?”

“They do,but they don’t always have to be about a romantic love.For me,I don’t write songs about romantic love.They’re either love through a friendship or through family.”

"Have you written a song about airplanes yet?"

She chuckled to herself and replied, "No,sadly.I'm still waiting for a little bit more inspiration to write that song."

"Is it going to be a romantic love song?"

I saw her bite her lip.

"Maybe..but until I get the inspiration,the airplane song is on hold."

"Well then,maybe I could provide that little ounce of inspiration."

She looked at me with confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"Well,even if I might not be your future boyfriend,maybe we could communicate at times in paper airplane notes."

At this moment,I didn't know why I was being so bold.Some parts of my mind kept telling me that I was being desperate in trying to make our relationship closer than it was now,and some parts of my mind were just telling me that I was being stupid and to prepare for rejection.I was more prepared for the second part due to her thinking about it for what felt like ages.

But then she did something that surprised me and made my heart beat almost a million times more faster than before.

She grabbed onto my fingers and connected them with mine,as if she wanted to hold my hand but didn't want to just yet.

Then,she gave me her smile and said just one simple word that made me feel like the happiest guy in the world.

"Alright."

----------------------------------

And so,our airplane conversations started.

Since her apartment balcony was across from mine and our apartments were fairly close to each other,I didn't have to worry about throwing one and having it fly pathetically to the ground.

At first,they were just little exchanges of "Hi" and "Hello"s,but then,they became more..different.

Instead of just a hi and a bye,we talked through the planes just like how Liyin did with her best friend in China.I don't know why,but everytime she sent a plane over to my balcony,I felt my heart jump excitedly,almost as if I had just received a wonderful present.

It felt weird,but it was an amazing type of weird.

As we wrote our small,but special conversations through them,I hoped that we were getting closer and closer as good friends even if this was just inspiration for a new song.I could tell that Liyin was starting to warm up to me in a way with every smile that she gave me,and with every smile we exchanged,I felt as if we were getting closer.

One day,another paper airplane came through my balcony with a message that surprised me.

“Hey,can you stand at your balcony and look over to the other side? I have..a sort of surprise for you that I think you’ll like.”

Looking over,I saw Liyin smiling out at me with her piano on the other balcony,giving me a small wave.

“Hi,”she greeted.

“What is this surprise that you’ve planned out?”I asked,failing at trying to hide my smile.

“Well,if I have a piano out and I’ve called you out onto your balcony,what do you think it could be?”

“You’re going to play me a bunch of Beethoven and Mozart?”

“You wish,”Liyin said as we both chuckled.

“But really,what is the real reason why you’re here?”

Liyin took a deep breath and continued.

“Well,you know how this whole thing started with the idea of inspiration?”

I nodded my head unconsciously and smiled.

“I guess,it helped.And now,I finally have my airplane song,thanks to you.Also,because you requested it,I’ve decided to let you be the very first person to ever hear this song and possibly other songs that I’ve written.”

“Really?”I asked with an unexpected hint of enthusiasm in my voice,to which she nodded her head.

“I figured that we got closer through this,and now,you’re practically my best friend.Unless you-”

“No! I feel the same way,”I told her in a rush, “I..I feel like you’re my best friend too.”

“Well then,best friend,will you allow me to sing for you today?”

“By all means,go ahead.”

When she started to play just one note on the key and started humming,I instantly fell in love.Even though I knew that she could sing,I didn’t know that she could sing.

It was as if her voice had just come from heaven and decided to come and sing just for me.Just for me.

I felt like I was drifting off into a different world,especially since the song was about paper airplanes.Well,the subject of it was interpreted with them at least.

However,I couldn’t help myself from humming along,and when I did,she gave me a look,as if she was surprised at something that I couldn’t catch but continued to sing and even harmonized with me.It was almost as if we were doing a duet in a film that I wanted to last forever;I never wanted it to end.

Once she sung the last note and struck the last key on her keyboard,I smiled as I opened my closed eyes.

“That was amazing,Liyin,”I told her as I looked over to see her smiling back.

“Thanks,Jongdae.But your singing was wonderful,more wonderful than I could have ever imagined.”

“If anything,it was your voice that took me to heaven.”

She laughed,and I found myself laughing too due to my extremely cheesy comment.

“Well,we both must have taken a trip to heaven then because your voice gave me the chills.”

“Same here.Your voice surprised me.”

Your voice surprised me.”

We both laughed again.Then,she asked me, “So did you like the song?You know,what with its cheesiness about airplanes and love and stuff?”

I smiled once more before telling her, “It’s the best thing that I’ve ever heard.”

---------------------------------------------

A/N-My goodness,this took too long.

Hello! I am back after three  months with a new chapter for this imagine. man that sounds weird. ><

This took a while because this was untouched due to the lack of ideas and flow.I don’t know why,but I could never get the airplane idea wrapped around my head easily like I did with "Pencil." I actually had a different version written for “Airplane,”but that got stowed away somewhere else and now,here we are with this version of the chapter.

Anyway,I’ll try my best to get back into this Chenyin fanfic/imagine and bring you more of this cute couple soon.

I hope you all are having a wonderful morning,afternoon,or night wherever you are,and I’ll see you in the next chapter of “The Nine Items!” Bye! ^_^