Pencil

The Nine Items

A pencil was how I met her for the first time.

Walking down the cracked sidewalks of Seoul,I had my hands in my pockets as I looked around the city that seemed so crowded but felt so empty.

Multiple electronic billboards surrounded the area of Myungdong,and there were many people walking from all sorts of directions to create one giant clutter in a buzzing city.Conversations were heard left to right as I walked through the crowd,trying my best not to bump into people as I made my way around.It was kind of hard to though,especially since there were people around me wherever I went.

Although the clutter seemed so full,it felt so rushed with everyone going into the already filled stores and not slowing down.That's what made it seem so empty.

Me? I wasn't a part of that clutter.

She wasn't either.

As I made my way closer to the intersections of the streets,it reached my shoes ever so slightly,just enough for me to feel it.

Looking down at the ground,I could see it.It was a plain,ordinary #2 pencil until I picked it up to see the sides etched with a name in Chinese.

"Zhang Liyin,"I read out loud as I heard the sound of heels coming towards me.

And then I saw her.

She was wearing a light pink dress that day,the dress outlining her body so perfectly.Her hair was curled,and that day,it was dyed chocolate brown.But the thing that stood out to me the most was her beautiful smile.

"Excuse me,"she started off, "Can I have my pencil back?"

"Ye-yes."Damn it,why did I stutter?

"Here you go." I handed her the pencil,placing it so that I could be able to feel her hand slightly.

"Thank you,"she said,giving me the smile that always made my heart skip a beat.

"Is your name Liyin?" I asked, "That was the name etched into the pencil,so I figured that it was your name."

"Yes,it is,"she replied.

"You know Chinese?"she asked me with a surprised tone.

"Just a little,"I said,telling her with my fingers and my words.She laughed a little,so I suspected that she thought it was either funny or cute.

"Oh,I see,"she replied as she chuckled a little more.

We were still at the intersection of the streets,and I could sense the sky getting a little darker and feel a few raindrops falling to the ground.

"Oh,it's raining,"she mentioned as she felt the raindrops fall onto her palm.

"Yeah.."I replied,not knowing what else to say.

"Well,I should get going,so I'll see you around,"she said after sighing for the slightest moment.

"Yeah,s-see you around,"I stuttered as I gave her a small,timid wave.

She flashed another precious smile before she turned around.

But before she could even make more than two steps,me being the embarrassing person I am,stopped her and asked her,

"By any chance,do you want to get some tea with me?"

She stopped and asked me to repeat what I just said,probably since I just blurted it out all into one jumble of words.

"Do you want to get some tea with me?"I asked sheepishly,rubbing the back of my neck, "There's a tea shop near here where we can sort of take shelter in,even though we're both soaked already."

She laughed a little more,and that made my heart skip another beat.

"Sure,"she replied,her beautiful dress practically soaked by the rain.

I went closer to her with my jacket and covered the both of us from the incoming raindrops.

"So shall we go?"I asked as I turned my head to face her and to be greeted with a beautiful smile.

"We shall."

Even with her dress drenched in the rain and her beautiful curls ruined,she was still smiling,which made me surprised.

I felt guilty for keeping her out in the rain,trying to talk to her before I lost her.

Even though we could have met again,I had a feeling that if we were to meet again,it would have been a long time into the future,and I couldn't wait that long to see her again.She was just too special to lose,even if I had only met her for a few seconds.

But then I remembered the pencil.

She had placed the pencil with a notebook of some sort,which must been soaked as well. 

And then I felt even more guilty about ruining her notebook along with her dress.

Yet she was telling me that she was fine and that I shouldn't feel bad about anything.

"It's okay,"she told me as we took a seat at one of the tables in the tea shop, "I'm perfectly fine,so don't feel guilty about anything."

"Then..at least let me pay for our tea,"I replied, "I need to make it up to you in some sort of way." 

"Okay,fine,"she conceded as she opened up her notebook,only to find the ink smudged and the pages drenched.

It turned out to be a composition that she was working on,and now all of the notes were smudged and the lyrics were faded,making me even more guiltier than ever.

Not only have I ruined her notebook,her dress,and her hair,I've ruined her composition.

"I'm extremely sorry,"I mumbled loud enough for her to hear.

"For what?You did nothing wrong;it was just the rain.And besides,I could just get a new one."

"But the work that you've put into your..music..It's ruined since I made you stand in the rain for a long time."

"Nothing's ruined,"she replied, "I'm grateful that you've taken me here for shelter and that you're even paying,especially since I just met you.We're practically strangers,but considering the amount of time that we've spent with each other,I feel like we're more of acquaintances,don't you think?"

"Yeah,"I agreed,thankful that she was trying to lighten up the mood, "But can I still try to repay for everything?"

"Don't worry about anything,"she said,giving me a smile to reassure me that she was fine.

I sighed for a moment and decided to concede in trying to repay everything because I knew that the more I would try to,she would just tell me not to worry about it and that paying for the tea was enough.

"Oh,since you have my name,what's your name?"

"Jongdae,Kim Jongdae."

"Then Jongdae,here."

She handed me her pencil and told me, "Write down anything you want onto this page."

"Why?"I asked with curiosity.

"Just do it,so I'll have some way of remembering you,"she replied, "After all,who knows when we'll meet again after this?"

"Okay.."

I didn't know what to write at first.The pencil was trembling in my hand as it wavered across the paper.

"What can I even write?"I asked her.

"Um..I don't know..Maybe,your number?"

Now,when she told me that,my heart probably just stopped.

So many thoughts went through my head.I kept asking myself if I should since I didn't think that she was interested in me,especially since I made a bad impression on her by ruining her dress,hair,and notebook.But carpe diem;I knew that fate wouldn't give me this type of chance again.

And I definitely would not let a chance like this go away.

I quickly jotted it down onto the only dry space there was on the paper and gave her a smile.

"So should I expect a call from you soon?"

"Maybe you should,"she smiled before she closed her notebook and stuck her pencil into one of the pockets on the book.

As we continued to chat and learn more about each other,the rain had started to stop and the stars had come out,signalling that the day had turned into night.

"Wow,we've been here for a while,"I said as I looked at the time, "It's already 8."

"Yeah,we have,"she replied, "So I guess we should leave?"

"Yeah,since we've finished our tea and I've already paid,let's go."

After we exited the shop,we decided to walk for a while before we had to go our separate ways.

"I didn't think that today would be such a good day,so thank you for the amazing time,"Liyin said as we walked side by side,my hands in my pockets and her hands holding her notebook tightly to her chest.

"No,I should be thanking you for giving me an awesome time,"I told her, "I never thought that an ordinary day like this would be one of the best days that I've ever had."

"Really?"she asked with a surprised look,to which I nodded my head.

"I'm really happy that we met,"I said.

"Me too,"she replied, "But it's sad that we have to part now."

"Yeah.."I didn't know what else to say,so even though I didn't want to part so soon,I told her,

"So I'll see you around?"

"Yeah,"she replied, "I'll see you around."

"I'm still going to try and pay you back,"I blurted.

"I know,"she replied, "But I'm still going to try and make you not pay me back anything."

"Don't try and stop me,"I told her with a playful tone.

"Oh,I'm still going to.But anyway,I'll see you around,Kim Jongdae.Goodnight!"

She waved to me and gave me another beautiful smile before she turned around and went her way.

"Goodnight!"I shouted to her as I tried to wave to her,even though she probably didn't see it.

"I'll see you around too,Zhang Liyin,"I murmured.

And for that entire night,the only thing I could think about was her,the hope of meeting her again,and that beautiful grin,making me smile every time it popped up into my mind.

------------------------------------------------------

A/N-Okay,so I decided to separate this imagine into nine parts,so it could have more depth,and so that the Chenyin feels can last longer for nine chapters instead of one lengthy imagine.

BUT WOOHOO!!FIRST CHAPTER!! ^_^ 

I had actually rewritten this because I thought that the original version of this wasn't long enough and didn't have much going on it,and since this is going to be separated into chapters,I figured that I should add more into the storyline and make it longer.

I hoped you liked this chapter and the future chapters of this story!

I hope that you have a wonderful morning,afternoon,or night wherever you are,and I'll see you soon!Bye! ^^