ii. of broken bonds;

the fear of flight;

 

Youngjae reaches the office almost 20 minutes after JB left.

Mustering all remaining courage, he knocks twice.

He swings the door open and all eyes are on him.

"What took you so long?"

Principal Park's tone was deep and harsh, but surprisingly calm. 

Youngjae didn't know what to say. He can't say his allergy got worse and he had an asthma attack. He doesn't want to look even more of a wimp than he already appears. He doesn't want to look weak. He doesn't want to prove JB right.

"I just- needed time to think."

"While we're all here, dying of the silence, burdened thinking of what possible excuse we could make up to get us all out of this situation?"

Jackson removes his cap, scruffs his hair and puts it back on clumsily. 

This is the ninth time Jackson's been called to the office, one more and he's going to be expelled. The thought of it doesn't scare him, but the image of his parents' disappointed faces sends shivers down his spine. He's their only hope to be removed from poverty, and the last thing he would want is bring them down. No one knows that behind his jokes and happy personality is a troubled child.

Bambam places his hand on Jacksons lap and leans in to whisper. 

"It's going to be alright, hyung. Please don't worry."

Jackson sighs and turns to smile at Bambam. He doesn't know why, but just Bambam's assurance is enough to remove all doubt from his mind. 

"Sit down, Youngjae."

Principal Park's tone is sharper this time. To the right of his table, Jackson, Bambam and Jinyoung are seated. To the left, Yugyeom, Mark, and JB. There is an empty seat beside Jaebum.

Youngjae scans the room for another seat but he couldn't find any. He exhales in frustration. Oh god. Why now. His thoughts are a mess and the last thing he would want is to sit beside the guy who caused it. 

"Ya, Youngjae. Sit down. Principal Park has another meeting in less than an hour. We need to finish this quickly."

Bernard points to the empty seat. 

Youngjae walks towards Jinyoung on the other end and Jinyoung stares at him in surprise.

"What do you want? Sit down!"
"Hyung, please let me sit on your position. Just take the seat beside JB hyung please."
"What? Why? Ya, Choi Youngjae-"

"Sit down, Mr. Choi! You're wasting my time!"

Principal Park's voice pierces through Youngjae's ears like a bullet. He wanted to cry, he wanted to just scream and break everything in the room. But he can't. Principal Park's office is power-proof.

He drags his feet and sits besides JB. He doesn't dare look at the other's face. 

"Ah. It's the 7 of you again. Why am I not surprised?"

Principal Park has calmed himself, but his voice is still the all familiar death tone to everybody else's ears. 

"Now, JB, tell me what happened with your group. Again."

JB takes a deep breath, taps his feet twice, and gathers all remaining courage.

"It was my fault, sir."

Everyone stares at him in disbelief. They know that among them, JB had the least to do with it.

"Bu- but hyung! You didn't do anything!" 

Yugyeom's eyebrows are raised and his voice is high.

"Exactly."

JB exhales and fog produces before his face.

"I'm the leader and I should've known how to control them. I take full responsibility for this, sir. I accept whatever punishment you'll put unto me."

"Jaebum-ah! What are you doing?" 

Jinyoung looks at JB with a frustrated face. 

"It was my fault, sir!" 

Bambam looks at Principal Park and points to himself. Jackson turns to his left to face the boy.

"Ya! What are you doing, Bam? Don't say it's your fault when it isn't!"
"But Jaebum hyung can't-"
"Sir, it was me."

Jackson doesn't know why he said that. He's going to be expelled for sure if he takes the fault. But for some reason he'd rather take the blame than let Bambam do it.

"It's me. It's all me. I'm sorry, sir. It will never happen again."

Mark stands up and bows before Principal Park.

"No! It's me- I have been in this university longer and I should've reminded them of the rules and punishments. Sorry sir." 

Jinyoung stands up as well and signals Mark to sit down. Mark doesn't budge. 

Yugyeom stands in front both of them and kneels in front of Principal Park.

"Sorry Principal! It was really me- I teased Youngjae and Suzy noona first. Please punish me!"

"Enough! Everyone sit down!"

Principal Park's face is red and he smooths out his forehead in frustration.

Everyone returns to their seats and silence quickly fills the room like cold air.

"I know you all had something to do with it but one thing is certain- It began somewhere... and with someone. Who is it?"

Principal Park turns his attention to the quiet boy on the end of the aligned chairs.

"What have you got to say for yourself, Youngjae?"

Youngjae felt his chest start to tighten. He didn't know what to say. How was he going to start? By saying he was mindlessly entangled to the boy to his left? That he was staring at him hopelessly because he leaves him in awe? That-

"Well. It seems that Mr. Choi has nothing to tell us. And since you all have different sides, I'm taking the most neutral one. Mr. Im, I'll talk to you alone after this meeting. As for the 6 of you, we have nothing left to discuss. Please leave my office."

Principal Park nods at Bernard- commanding him to lead them to their respective classes.

"Youngjae, say something!"

Jinyoung stands up and stomps before Youngjae.

"You can't just let JB-"
"It's fine, Jinyoung. Please just go back to class. You're going to miss theatre if you don't leave now. Isn't that your favorite class?"

JB pats Jinyoung's leg and smiles.

"Hyung, I don't care about theatre! I care about you!" 

"I'll go ahead."
Mark stands up and leaves the room first.

"Jr., Principal Park has made his decision. Come with me and I'll take you all to class."

Bernard holds Jr. on the shoulder and gently redirects him to the door. Jackson, Bambam,  Yugyeom follow.

Youngjae sits still- He can't leave JB. But he can't defend him, either.

"JB hyung, I'm sorry."

Those words slip out of his mouth like gas. He doesn't know what else to say- and he knows it's the only thing his body will allow himself to do.

JB doesn't respond. He reaches for something in his jacket and hands it to Youngjae. It's his inhaler. Ever since they were kids Youngjae's inhaler has always been with JB, and it hasn't been a problem because they both know they'd always be together. And now JB's returning it.

Youngjae felt his eyes start to grow heavy and water starts to blur his vision.

"H-hyung..."
"You can take care of yourself now, Youngjae. Sorry I didn't believe in you."

JB takes Youngjae's hand and places the inhaler on top of it. 


Bernard has come back, and now he's approaching Youngjae. JB inhales deeply and stares at his feet. He doesn't want to look at Youngjae. He doesn't want to see him like this. He can't. It will break him. 

Youngjae wipes his nose and stands up. He makes his way to the door, not looking back once. He closes the door shut and it sends the cue for his tears to fall.

"Are you okay?"

Bernard taps Youngjae by the shoulder.

"I'm fine. Thanks hyung. I'll lead myself to class."
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah."

Youngjae walks towards his room- each step sending a pang of pain to his insides. 

And at this point, all he could think of is the boy he left behind.