i. of stares and sound;

the fear of flight;

Youngjae regains hold of consciousness as Jackson aggresively waves his hand in front of his face.

"Hello? Is anybody home? Earth to Choi Youngjae!"

Jr. moves closer to him and snaps thrice.

"Ya! The cafeteria could be burning right now and you'd still be staring into blank space."

Bambam places his hand on Youngjae's neck to check his temperature.

"Are you okay, hyung? Are you sick?"

Youngjae brushes off Bambam's hand and sits up straight.

"I'm fine. I was just thinking of something."

Yugyeom nudges Youngjae with a cheeky smile on his face.

"Something... Or someone?"

The boys stare at one another, squinting eyes mischieviously.

"Oooooh." 

"No I-"

Youngjae stops his sentence as the boy across him lifts his head up and fingers through his hair. He's staring at him directly and Youngjae felt his throat start to dry.

"So, who is it?"

Jaebum doesn't part eyes with Youngjae and  smiles subtly.

Mark follows Youngjae's gaze and his face lightens up as if he discovered something big.

"It's...Suzy, isn't it!"

Mark let out his high pitched giggle and hides his face behind Jr.'s back.

"Youngjae likes Suzy!" 

Jr. wiggles his eyebrows and joins Mark in his squealing.

Pretty soon Bambam, Jackson, Jr., Mark and Yugyeom are teasing Youngjae in unison.

"Youngjae! Suzy! Youngjae! Suzy!"

The chant gets louder and louder, and a sound of laughter starts to echo around the room. Suzy is sitting parallel to Jaebum on the opposite table- and the entire population of the cafeteria start to shift eyes between her and Youngjae.

Suzy gently shakes her head and signals the people to stop but this only encourages the chant's volume to increase. A heap of air hits  her cheek and a sense of familiarity creeps into her. She focuses her eyes on the exit and sees Wooyoung leaving the cafeteria.

She rushes to follow him but the people crowd to block her way and push her towards Youngjae's direction. 

"Stop it, please."

Suzy pleads to no use.

"Guys, quit it." 

Youngjae tries to silence the people but they refuse.

"Aye- I really feel a spark between you two."

Yugyeom touches Youngjae's arm and a shot of electricity shocks his body.

"I said stop it!"

Youngjae clenches his fist and the vibration of his voice flips the tables nearby and sends the people to their knees.

He stayed there- blank for a few seconds- just staring at the aftermath of his actions. He swore never to use his powers in such a manner but frustration and embarrassment took over his mentality. 

A rush of paranoia starts to eat him alive. What if he gets called to the office because of this? What if the people start to avoid him? What if Suzy rejects to be even just near him? What if JB-"

He feels something tap him which sends another shot of electricity down his spine. 

"Ya! Kim Yugyeom!"

He turns around and sees Jaebum with his hand planted on his shoulder.

"Hyung... I- I didn't mean to-"

He feels his face start to heat up and a stain of red covers his cheeks. His eyes begin to well and embarrassment gushes into his guts. 

"It's okay, Youngjae." 

"I didn't mean to use my powers...I was just so frustrated and angry and-"

Youngjae stops as he realizes the weight of the stares of everyone surrounding him.

"Everyone, leave."

A silhouette enters the room and goosebumps start to form on everyone's skin.

"I said vacate the cafeteria!"

Everyone rushes to the exit and only the seven boys remain.

Park Jinyoung, their principal, stares at them coldly, analyzing them one by one.

A sudden voice enters their minds at the same time.

"I'll see you all in my office. Now." 

He never uses his telepathy on an ordinary occasion so if he does, you know you're screwed. 

Principal Park leaves the cafeteria, leaving the boys with his assistant, Bernard.

"He used telepathy on you, didn't he."

Bernard sighs deeply and scratches his forehead.

"What did you guys get yourselves into again?"

"It's all Yugyeom's fault!" 

Mark points his finger at Yugyeom with a smug expression on his face.

"If you didn't tease Youngjae then maybe-"

"Hey hyung! Don't blame this all on Yugyeom. Wasn't it you-"

Jackson pulls Bambam aside and pats him on the chest to stop him from talking.

"Don't get yourself into that mess, Bam."

Jackson focuses his attention on Mark and pauses before finally speaking.

"Wasn't it you who started this all when you said he liked Suzy? I mean, do you even know how popular she is and how big a commotion it would cause if people heard?"

Jinyoung steps in front of Mark and places his hands on his waist.

"Ya, Jackson. What's your problem with Mark? All he did was tease Youngjae with Suzy and-"

Jinyoung stops his sentence and glares at Mark.

"Wait a minute, It is your fault."

Mark's eyes widened as he opens his mouth in protest.

"Hey, wasn't it you who started chanting Youngjae and Suzy's names?"

Jinyoung removes his hands from his waist and hits Mark on the shoulder.

"But but- It's all Youngjae's fault! If he wasn't staring into blank space then maybe-"

"Enough."

JB's voice is cold and direct, and everyone stops at his command.

"Bernard hyung, lead them to the office first. Youngjae and I will follow."

"Make it quick, okay? You know Jinyoung-ssi doesn't like waiting."

A few moments pass and nothing is left but Youngjae, JB and awkward silence.

"Hyung, before you get angry, let me explain-"

Before he could finish his sentence, JB's arms have already wrapped his frame. 

"I'm sorry, Youngjae. Sorry I couldn't defend you. I don't know what kind of best friend I am."

Youngjae wanted to tell him it was okay, that it wasn't his fault, that all he needs to do is remain like this with him. But he was lacking the air, and the courage to do so.

Youngjae slips himself free from JB's grasp and fixes himself up.

"It's fine, JB. It's not your duty to always protect me, anyway."

"But I want to, Youngjae."

"We aren't kids anymore. I can take care of myself."

"No you can't!"

Youngjae felt insulted and offended. He knows he's sick, but what hurt him most was not the words, but who it came from.


"Ya! Where are you?!" 

The familiar sound of terror enters their minds at the same time.

"We're on our way, sir."

"You better."

JB pauses for a while before heading for the exit.

Youngjae's nose started to itch and clog and air couldn't enter it anymore. He wanted to scream for help, he wanted to scream JB's name, but he didnt have enough air to swallow his pride and do so. Maybe JB was right. Maybe he couldn't take care of himself. But he has to. 

He inhales through his mouth and though struggling to breathe, pushes himself to go to the office.