Lulla-bye

Lulla-bye

          The steady beeping sound, emitting from the electrocardiograph, was deafening yet relaxing at the same time. Everything in this room was either white, blue or silver; they were cleaned excessive to the point of hurting your eyes. However, what this large room looked like, was no concern for the tall male sitting in the chair. Instead, his visional point was the frail figure lying in the bed. This whole building was considered to be heaven for the ill, it makes sense right? Since it's where they go to get treatment and recover, but that's not always the case in this 'heaven' There are times when they can't do anything to help you, no amount of medicine could help you. That is when your whole world will crash down on top of you, giving you nowhere to escape. All positive opinions about this place, and its workers, drastically change. You go from pleading the men in blue uniform, to shouting, cursing and crying at them; that was exactly what Shim Changmin did when they were told. When the doctor said that dreaded sentence "I'm sorry, we've done all we can, but there's nothing more that we can do to help"

          Ward 21 was now like a second home to Changmin. He'd be there everyday, for as long as possible, just so he could be with his boyfriend, Kim Junsu. At the beginning, nurses had to end up calling security on a regular basis, simply because the tall male wouldn't budge. Defying all orders to leave. If he's lucky, a sympathetic nurse would let him be, giving him more precious seconds with his boyfriend. If he was really lucky, he'd be allowed to stay the night. "Minnie" A small, weak, voice called. Changmin was lying in the same bed as the younger, trying to be as close as it was physically possible to his boyfriend. "Hmm?" He responded, as he watched his boyfriend's chest, repeatedly, move up and down. He knew that every breath brought great pain to the smaller male; he felt so hopeless knowing that everything that was happening was beyond his control. He couldn't fix a single thing. "They tried to get me to eat something today"

"You have to eat something, that way you'll get your strength back"

"But I always feel really full these days, like if I eat anymore, I'll explode. But they still force me" Junsu pouted, causing Changmin to chuckle. Suddenly Junsu shifted slightly, in an attempt to get into a more comfortable position. The male couldn't even remember the last time he walked around. It was a few months ago that he began to feel aching pains in his legs, and gradually, over time, the ache turned into pain; then it became just too painful to walk. That was when he got admitted permanently into hospital. He'll most likely live here for the rest of his life. "You okay?" Changmin asked. He asked this question every day, and he always got the same answer "I'm fine" Which was a lie. Both of them knew it was. Suddenly, Junsu looked up into his boyfriend's eyes "Changmin....I love you"

"I love you too Su-su"

"I...I love you so much" The younger male cried gently into the older's chest. Life was nothing but pain for the 21 year old, but Changmin was his inspiration to keep going, just that bit further. He couldn't leave his boyfriend, they've been through so much together, shared everything together. How could he rest peacefully if he left his boyfriend of six years, and best friend of 19 years, alone? "What will you do when I'm gone?" Junsu asked. He needed to be reassured that the other would be okay. Of course, it would be difficult for his boyfriend at first, but he should be able to carry on and live life normally again. He needed to know. "I haven't really thought about it" The taller male honestly replied, after all, who would want to think about something like that? A future without the one you love, without the best thing that ever happened to you. "Changminnie?" Junsu's voice broke as he tried to hold back his salty tears. 

"Yes my love?"

"Can...Can you sing me...Sing me a song?" He requested as he tightened his arms around his lover.

"Of course" Changmin would often sing to Junsu, normally before they settled down to sleep for the night. Coughing slightly to clear his throat, Changmin began to sing the lyrics of the first song that came into his head. 

Lay down your head, and I'll sing you a lullaby
Back to the years of loo-li lai-lay
And I'll sing you to sleep and I'll see you tomorrow
Bless you with love for the road that you go

May you sail far to the far fields of fortune
With diamonds and pearls at your head and your feet
And may you need never to banish misfortune
May you find kindness in all that you meet

May there always be angels to watch over you
To guide you each step of the way.
To guard you and keep you safe from all harm.
Loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay

May you bring love and may you bring happiness
Be loved in return to the end of your days
Now fall off to sleep, I'm not meaning to keep you
I'll just sit for a while and sing loo-li, lai-lay


May there always be angels to watch over you
To guide you each step of the way.
To guard you and keep you safe from all harm.
Loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay


Loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay...
 
         As Changmin finished singing, Junsu looked upat him slightly, with hooded eyes and then smiled "Thank you" He said, before taking a deep, painful sounding, gasp. The electrocardiograph began to beep irregularly, and the doctors and nurses came rushing in. "No, Junsu, no, no!" Changmin hollared as he held Junsu's shaking body close to him. "Please Junsu, don't leave me, not yet, not yet!"
"Excuse me sir, we need as much space as we can get" A nurse said as he tried to check Junsu's, now limp, body. 
"What are you doing, resuscitate him, bring him back, please!"
"I'm sorry, but when a patient dies of cancer, it's usually best not to try and bring them back. I'm sorry, but there's nothing that can be done. We'll give you a few minutes" 
"No, get back here and save him!" Changmin yelled after the hospital staff as they left the room, shutting the door behind themselves.
           "Junsu baby, wake up, please, for me.....Su-su..." Changmin quietly pleaded as he placed his hand on Junsu's cheek. His tears slowly began to blind him. "God, please, if you're really there, please....Don't take him...Please!" He pleaded in vain. Changmin never really believed in God, but he felt as though he was the only one her could turn to, the only one that would listen, and watch over him. The tall male didn't say anything else, instead, he cried as he looked at Junsu's 'sleeping' face. No longer scrunched up in pain...Just beautifully peaceful. Gently, he ran his hand through Junsu's short black hair. It had started growing back after he lost it all in treatment. "I promised...I promised that I'd protect you....That I'd never let you suffer....I'm sorry...I failed you" Out of all the misery and emotional distress, Changmin could muster a small smile as he looked down at Junsu's face. In a sense, he was happy now. Happy that the one he loved the most, was no longer hurting, not longer in pain, and no longer fighting in a futile battle. He leaned down and kissed Junsu's, now cold, cheek. "My beautiful angel....Goodnight" 
 
____________________________________________________________
         
I'm back with this one shot that I've been wanting to put on here for more than half a year.
Cancer is something that I have been greatly affected by, I have lost my cousin and grandmother to this awful disease, and my mother was diagnosed with it. Luckily, she got the treatment she needed. 
I'm sorry that it's a sad story, but death is always tragic. 
I have many other stories to update, but after a long haitus, I wanted to refresh my writing with this short story.
It's not as long as I'd like it to be, and I know I could have mentioned more about Changmin and Junsu's past, but I just wanted to get it over and done with, since I was starting to get a bit emotional (Yes, I'm about as emotional as your average rock, but even I can crack)
 
I was going to use Junsu's Lullaby or another sad TVXQ-related ballad, Right here waiting by Richard Marx was another option, but the song I used here, is one I sang and listened to a lot around the time of my nan's passing from cancer. So it's got a special place in my heart. I recommend it to you guys too. It's called Sleepsong by Secret garden.
 
Hope you enjoyed it, please tell me what you thought, subscribe and leave a comment. Thank you for reading *hands you a tissue*