Chapter 2/2

The Second Time Around

The streets of Uptown Beijing were almost empty as most members of its Upper Crust are currently at the company gala thrown by the company Jongin just about inherited.

Yixing was off in a corner, nursing a cocktail by himself, mind brooding about the event that happened days prior. Just remembering his sensual run-in with Jongin brought goosebumps on her skin.

Yixing had gathered every ounce of courage he had to turn back towards him and let go of his inhibitions. To reach out to Jongin as he did to Yixing. The man had given his ego a huge bruising he wasn’t about to forget soon. Talk about payback being a . Now he knew how Jongin had felt all those years ago.

Still, no matter what, he couldn’t deny how handsome Jongin looked tonight, even in simple black jeans and a white pull-over shirt. He stood out among the crowd, and Yixing couldn’t help it as his eyes get drawn in Jongin’s direction again and again. Apparently, the problem wasn’t mutual since Jongin hadn’t glanced in his direction the entire night.

He was startled out of his reverie when all of a sudden he was dragged into a table at the far corner to sit.

“Smile, Xingxing-ge.” Oh Sehun, Jongin’s younger brother.

He’d almost forgotten that Jongin’s other brothers were here as well. His friendship with Sehun came out unexpectedly. Sehun had participated in an exchange-student program between his own school and Yixing’s and by a twist of fate, both of them had ended up joining the same dance club. It was a senior-junior relationship but it evolved into an unexpected friendship. Sehun always visited him whenever he was in Beijing for some reason or other.

Sehun mentioning his nickname had Yixing smiling and soon they were talking like old friends.

But the best part was that Sehun and their secluded location had done what Yixing and his stares could not. He finally had Jongin’s attention. He was looking at their general direction, a scowl on his handsome face.

There and then, Yixing decided he still hasn’t forgiven Jongin for bruising his ego, even if it was righteous payback. He decided not to leave Sehun’s side for the whole night.

He didn’t until it was time for him to go home.

-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o----

Yixing had barely arrived home when she heard a banging on his front door. The knocking continued for a few more times before he had time to run to answer it. He wondered who it was. It was almost midnight, and Yixing believed it was totally inappropriate to be calling on someone at that time, whether it be Beijing or anywhere in the world.

“Who’s there?”

“Jongin… Open up.”

Yixing’s stomach twisted in knots. “It’s midnight.” Too late for him to endure any more emotional pushing and pulling between the two of them.

Jongin banged on the door once more. “Come on, Yixing. Give me five minutes.”

Yixing leaned against the door. “Go away.”

“Not until we talk.”

“Ask Sehun where my office is and drop by in the morning.”

More pounding on the door was Jongin’s response.

“You’re going to wake up the neighbors.”

“Then let me in.”

“I wish I could,” Yixing answered softly, thought it was probably too low for Jongin to hear on the other side.

No way could he let Jongin in his home, the one place where he felt totally at ease.

Silence descended from the outside. Seems like Jongin had given up.

Suddenly a loud clatter sounded from the fire escape stairs. Yixing could only watch as Jongin reached his terrace and ducked so he could enter via his window.

-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o----
Yixing stood in his apartment, hands on hips as he watched Jongin warily.

Feeling the other’s gaze on him, Jongin felt like a first class --- first he reject Yixing’s advances and now he enter his home uninvited, not to mention illegally.

At the company gala, whose basic purpose was to welcome him to Beijing’s business circle, Jongin could only watch as Sehun got all cozy with Yixing.

If any good would have come out of Jongin strangling his younger brother he’d have done so. That Yixing went home alone hadn’t done anything to calm him down. Though Sehun respected brotherly boundaries, Yixing belonged to him.

No matter how improper this situation was, Jongin knew what he wanted to say to Yixing. He just didn’t know how to say it.

“You’re strangely silent for someone who’s just broken into another person’s apartment,” Yixing commented drily.

“I didn’t break in---“

“I didn’t open the front door for you, what would you call coming in with permission through the window?”

“Just dropping by?” Jongin was stalling. Sighing in frustration, he continued, “You’re obviously not in the mood to talk to me so how about you just hear me out?”

Yixing shrugged. “Do I have a choice? The sooner I hear you out the sooner you’ll leave.”

Jongin was sorely tempted to kiss Yixing breathless, just to see a little bit of him mellow out but he was here to explain himself and his feelings--- something he’d never done to anyone except his family. But Yixing wasn’t just anyone. Never had been.

And Jongin knew Yixing deserved to know his pulling away had nothing to do with his feelings but everything about how he respected the latter’s needs. “I need to clear things up.”

“What things?”

“You talked about getting us out of each other’s systems…”

“You rejected that offer, as far as I remember. You pushed me away, then barely looked at me tonight and now you’re back, barging into my private space, wanting to talk. You’re interested, you’re not interested, then now you’re interested again. What the hell?” Yixing couldn’t stop the onslaught of words from his mouth. “Do I look like some kind of pull toy to you?”

The last question confirmed Jongin’s fears, that he was hurting the other with his mixed signals, and for that he owed an explanation. If only Yixing would give him a chance to respond.

“Or maybe what you like is the chase, the thrill of going after something difficult to attain,” continued Yixing’s tirade. “You end up getting bored when everything’s too easy. And damn did I make it easy.”

Jongin caught Yixing’s wrist and held him in place.

“You think I don’t want you?” he asked with clenched teeth.

All good intentions aside, he maneuvered their positions until Yixing’s back was against the wall again, Jongin bent his head for a kiss--- a tongue-tangling kiss that as mutual as it was hot.

It took all of Jongin’s resolve to break away again and ask the question, “How’s that for evidence?”

Yixing took a deep breath then pushed himself back as well. “Okay Jongin, no more games. What do you want with me?”

“What I want and what I can take are two completely different things.” That was the heart of the matter. “I’m not staying in Beijing.” Jongin spoke the truth that might drive Yixing away again.

“I know that.” Yixing bit his lip. “I wish my dad would’ve been just as honest as you though.”

Jongin knew all about Yixing’s family, so he realized that the abandonment Yixing felt from his father cut deep. He reached out and touched Yixing’s cheek. “It’s not the same thing.”

“The only difference is that you already told me there’ll be no long-term commitment involved. Otherwise it’d be just the same thing.”

The emotion in Yixing’s voice touched a well of emotion in Jongin he thought had long dried up. However, no matter how much he didn’t like being lumped in the same category with Yixing’s wanderer of a father, the truth remains. He wants to pursue a relationship with Yixing, and he’ll be abandoning him in the end.

“I know you’re not sticking around,” Yixing continued. “When I decided to get you out of my system, I wasn’t asking for a long-term commitment from you. I knew that when I approached you.”

“But you’d resent me in the end. It’s not in you to accept less, and I can’t give more. I’m not the kind of man you need. The stay-around-forever kind of guy.” Jongin shook his head. “Us getting involved would be foolish. And painful.” For both of them. “No matter how much we wish otherwise.”

Yixing inclined his head and his cheek came to rest in the palm of Jongin’s hand. “I know you wouldn’t. Dishonor your commitments, I mean. That’s why you’re here spilling your guts why you turned me down. It’s more than I once did for you,” he admitted softly. “You’re a hell of a man, Jongin. More than I ever gave you credit for.”

“Don’t make the mistake of painting me as a good guy,” Jongin warned.

Yixing tipped his head back, looking at him through thick lashes. “I wouldn’t call you an angel, but you are looking out for me. I appreciate that even if I don’t like what I’m hearing.” A regret-filled smile.

“I can’t say I like it either.” Any of it. Despite his words of warning and protest, Jongin desperately wanted to kiss those lips one last time. A final good-bye.

Yixing must have read his mind, because he lifted up onto tiptoes at the same time Jongin lowered his mouth to his. But a simple kiss wasn’t enough to satisfy his craving and Jongin held Yixing’s face in his hands, cradling him for deeper access to his moist mouth.

It was meant to be a farewell kiss, strong and hot enough to fill a lifetime of memories. Jongin slipped his hands around Yixing’s waist and began to bunch the material of his cardigan, pulling the soft cotton upward inch by inch until he could finally feel the bare skin on his midriff.

His fingers gripped soft, warm flesh, and as Yixing let out a soft sigh, Jongin’s heart thudded harder in his chest.

And all of a sudden he knew—he probably couldn’t say good-bye any more than he could turn into another for a relationship. But what about the life he had built for himself in Seoul?

Before he could process that thought, Yixing’s phone rang, startling them both.

As Yixing pushed him away to answer the goddamn phone, Jongin took the time to organize his thoughts and calm his racing heart down.

-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o----

By the time Yixing finished his phone call (it was Zitao, asking him where he was), he saw Jongin’s forehead creased as if deep in thought.

“Hey Jongin. You okay?”

Seeing the concern on Yixing’s face, Jongin smiled. “Yeah, just thinking about stuff. I ran after you so I kinda left the gala, which was primarily for me by the way, in the hands of ever capable Chanyeol and that brat Sehun.”

“That bad?”

“Bad enough that I have 30 missed calls and about 50 messages in my phone right now,” Jongin replied with a laugh. “I’m thinking of getting out of town for the weekend.”

Disappointment filled him as he realized this maybe the last time he’ll be seeing Jongin in a romantic sense. The succeeding meetings may be for business reasons as Jongin will slowly get to know Beijing’s fashion and business world. “The weekend is over tomorrow night,” he reminded.

“But can you imagine how much we can do together in twenty-four hours?”

“We?” Yixing’s heart skipped a beat.

“Well, we live in a thriving metropolis, and I want to spend more time with you.”

A warmth rushed through him, a heat that had nothing to do with ual awareness. Oh, that was there too, but the caring in Yixing’s voice struck him by surprise—in the heart. “What did you have in mind?”

“I was considering an impromptu tour of Beijing since I haven’t been here in ages. Want to volunteer?”

Yixing laughed. “Why not hire a professional one for that? Cheapskate.”

“Not me. Chanyeol’s more of a scrooge than I am.”

“Your ego astounds me.”Yixing shook his head. “You’re asking me—”

“To go away with me. One night, one day. You and me. What do you say?” Jongin asked.

“A date?”

“More than that and you know it.”

Yixing in a deep breath. He’d already rationalized why he’d allow himself to get involved in an affair with Jongin, no matter how short. But since fate won’t have it, maybe one last date won’t be that bad. Because being with Jongin seemed the only way to get over him. If Yixing was lucky, he’d discover Jongin had too many bad habits to count. If not, at least he’d store memories for the future. Yixing would never again look back and regret the road not taken.

“Yes. I say yes,” Yixing replied before he could change his mind.

Jongin let out a whoop of glee. “I’ll make sure it’s a time you never forget,” he said in that y, compelling voice.

And Yixing believed him. He knew for certain that when this weekend was over, he’d never again wonder what he’d missed since his rejection of him.

Yixing would, however, keep in mind this was farewell. One last hurrah.

-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o----

Jongin picked up Yixing on time. They drove to the outskirts of Beijing before Jongin stopped his rental car and reached into the glove compartment, pulling out a scarf. Like a little kid out for candy, he dangled it in front of Yixing’s face.

Eyebrows raised, Yixing asked, intrigued, “What’s that for?”

“I don’t want you to see my surprise before I’m ready.”

Yixing turned around, presenting his back to Jongin so the other could tie on the scarf over his eyes. “I like surprises.”

“Wow, like, this might be the first time I heard some measure of appreciation for me in your voice. Mostly it’s irritation or long-suffering.”

Yixing couldn’t help but laugh at that.

“So where are we going?”

Jongin shook his head, though he was aware that Yixing couldn’t see the action. “Well done, but you could have gone for the subtler approach. If I had wanted you to know where we’re going I wouldn’t have put a blindfold on you, right? Anyways, you probably know the streets of Beijing like the back of your hand. Let’s see how well you do with your eyes closed.”

Jongin started the car once more before turning the engine back on.

Yixing wasn’t sure how much time had passed as they made small talk: about their current life, Jongin’s difficulties on taking over his grandfather’s company, Yixing’s business. Both of them got along well, unsurprisingly.

It turns out that this farewell date would be one where, though hearts may be bruised, their stomachs certainly won’t be.

Jongin brought him to a culinary tour of Beijing’s cultural restaurants, like The Tiandi Yijia which used to be a royal storeroom, Da Dong with its 300 chefs, Haidilao, famous for its hotpot and The Courtyard located at the East Gate of the Forbidden City itself.

Yixing could honestly say he had fun. And even if words weren’t said, he knew Jongin felt the same.

They were walking out of the final restaurant on Jongin’s list (the guy did his research, Yixing had to say) and they both decided since their twenty-four hours weren’t over yet, they’d spend the remaining time going for a ride in the outskirts of Beijing.

Jongin walked Yixing to the passenger side before opening the door for him. As soon as Yixing was seated, he closed the door and walked towards his side of the car. He entered and shut the car. The locks kicked in with a click. They were alone.

Trying to make the atmosphere lighter, Yixing joked, “I don’t know what to talk about.”

Jongin brought his face closer. “I can think of a lot of better things to do rather than talk.”

Yixing swallowed hard. “Then why don’t you show me.”

The next thing Yixing knew, Jongin’s lips came down hard on his.

It was what he hadn’t known he’d been waiting for—this hard, demanding kiss that never ended and caused wave after wave of carnal need to rush his body at lightning speed. Jongin’s lips were unforgiving, crushing, and the hot, moist assault on his senses brought everything inside him to life.

Yixing cupped the other’s face in his hands and threaded fingers through his hair, reveling in the silky softness, such a contradiction to the hard male body opposite his. Jongin traveled a path with his mouth, across Yixing’s cheek, and down his neck, pausing to nibble at tender flesh.

“When I picked you up today and saw you in this low-cut sweater, all I could think about was tasting you,” Jongin’s voice rasped, a husky sound in his ear.

His need, his desire made Yixing feel wanton and brave. “So? Do I taste as good as you thought?”

Jongin let out another of those groans that turned him on as he nuzzled his lips harder into Yixing’s skin.

That night they ended up tangled in the silken sheets of Jongin’s penthouse suite. Caution was thrown to the wind, all things forgotten for one last single night in each other’s arms.

One last hurrah indeed.

-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o----

Jongin pounded nails into the garage shelving. If he was going to stick around, he might as well make himself useful. For the most part, Chanyeol and Sehun had taken off and since he’s left in this giant house of his grandfather’s all alone, he’d gone looking for something to kill the time as he contemplated what to do next. And right now, the ability to pound a hammer was a damn good way to release frustration.

Yixing hadn’t called since that twenty-four-hour date. Hadn’t returned his calls, to be accurate. At this point he wasn’t sure the distinction mattered.

He raised the hammer and swung at the same moment his mother’s shrill voice reached his ears. “Front and center, Jongin.”

The hammer smacked his fingers dead-on. “Son of a .” He stalked out of the garage, shaking his hand to ease the throbbing pain. He met his mother on the driveway, where she was pacing back and forth. “What’s wrong?” he asked.

“Everything. And as much as I blame myself, I still need answers.”

He wiped his arm across his sweaty forehead. “I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about, but you look upset and it’s bad for your heart.”

“Forget my heart. It’s yours I’m worried about. Where’s Yixing?” His mother’s hazel eyes filled with moisture.

“Dammit, Mom, don’t cry.” He was a er for her tears. Always had been, which he thought now was a partial answer to her question. “Who told you?” He put an arm around her and led her to the patio chairs out back.

She narrowed her gaze. “That’s not the point, is it? Now answer me.”

“I don’t want you to end up in the hospital. That’s the point.”

“It won’t happen. Now talk.”

He let out a groan but he knew his mother won’t stop until she got answers to her questions.

“Yixing, Jongin. I’m waiting,” she said when he didn’t respond fast enough for her. She tapped one foot against the patio.

He shrugged. “What can I say? My life’s in Seoul.”

“Idiots. I raised idiots.” She rolled her eyes heavenwards. “Nix that. I just raised real men.”

She was right. He was a typical man, and as a proud, card-carrying member of the species, he wasn’t comfortable discussing his feelings or emotions. But he owed it to the woman who raised him the best she could on her own to explain. He had a hunch he’d have to do the same with Yixing—if he wanted a second chance.

By the time he managed to explain everything to his mom, he’d received a mix of both sound advice and terse scolding.

There’s only one way to go now.

-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o----

Yixing ran into his apartment and dashed for the phone after hearing it ring from the hallway, arms currently full of dry cleaning. However, by the time he managed to run to his front door and locate his keys, the ringing had stopped. And apparently, whoever it was that called hadn’t bothered to leave a message.

He put his clothes on the couch. “Let’s see if anyone called before that.” He fervently hoped Jongin hadn’t called. Since he knew he couldn’t possibly avoid the other forever, avoidance was the best thing to do.

He hit the play button and listened to the first and only message. “Hi, Yixing. It’s me.” Jongin’s voice hit him like a punch in the gut, all the air out of his lungs. He lowered himself into the nearest chair.

“I just called to say …”

Silence followed, and Yixing held his breath, waiting for Jongin to continue. Wanting to hear he didn’t know what.

“I called to say good-bye.”

One sentence caused such massive amount of hurt. He waited for Jongin to say more, to give a decent explanation, but all that followed was the click of being disconnected.

So that was it. Jongin had taken off again for parts unknown, just as Yixing had always known he would.

His insides churned and Yixing thought he might be sick. But why? Why should he be upset Jongin had gone through with what he said? Followed the path he’d expected?

Unable to stand the stifling apartment and questions that dogged his thoughts, Yixing grabbed his keys and ran out the door without looking back.

-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o----

2 months later…

Yixing was slowly getting better, slowly getting used to life without Jongin again. Beijing is busy for another event soon, and the busy season helped Yixing a lot.

He just arrived from another hectic day at work and was headed into the kitchen to dig through the freezer for the pint of vanilla butterscotch ice cream he kept stashed in the back. Spoon in hand, he decided he’d hang out in his bedroom.

He approached his room, scarfing spoonfuls of ice cream on the way. The dim lighting from the doorway took him by surprise. He didn’t remember leaving any lights on when he went to work this morning. He shrugged, then entered his private sanctuary at the same time sticky butterscotch off his lips.

“I could help you do that. If you’re willing to talk to me.”

Yixing halted in his tracks. He thought he must be hallucinating. “Jongin?” Stupid question. Of course that deep, husky voice belonged to him.

And it was Jongin, ily lounging in gray sweats, a navy T-shirt, and bare feet on his white bedspread and assorted pillows.

Yixing let out a frustrated huff, torn between wanting to run to Jongin and kiss him, or just look for something to throw at the latter’s head. He’d missed him and was desperately glad to see him, but they had issues that remained unsettled. And until they’d discussed those problems and came to an understanding that fulfilled them both, too much remained uncertain between them. Though at this moment Yixing felt like he could live solely on love and the air Jongin breathed, he was smarter than that. Two heartaches in one lifetime was enough.

At least Yixing hoped he was. Because his resolve to wait was crumbling quickly.

-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o---

Jongin forced himself to relax, although it was almost impossible given the fact it was Yixing’s bed he was currently on. In bed, he was surrounded by Yixing’s scent, a scent he missed.

He’d back in Beijing and with the late hour, was able to get inside Yixing’s apartment undetected by following his fool proof technique: to enter via the fire escape stairs and Yixing’s window.

Wanting Yixing alone, and the sooner the better, he’d planned to grab him and run—back to his house, the latter’s apartment, he didn’t care. Jongin had much to share about his trip to Seoul and a future that Jongin hoped had Yixing in it.

But no matter how anxious he was to bridge the physical distance between them, he wouldn’t rush things. Yixing had to trust him first.

“Did you miss me?” he asked.

“Did you miss me?” Yixing retorted sarcastically.

He grinned. Well, at least Yixing hadn’t lost his spunk, and besides, he hadn’t expected Yixing just to jump back to his arms without a proper explanation. “Of course I missed you.” He patted the seat beside him. “Join me.”

“How’d you get in?” Yixing asked instead.

“How else? The same as before of course. I know that you’ll be leaving your window unlocked again now that I’m not here to look after you. “You need a keeper, Yixing.” Hope laced his question. Jongin never thought he’d experience this, his heart and future hinging on one person’s choice.

After a quiet moment, “Are you applying for the job?” Yixing asked.

Jongin shrugged, trying not to let his emotions show. Not yet. “I thought I already did.”

“Because you just upped and left without a decent goodbye?”Yixing asked a little too casually.

The lightly tossed barb stung, because it meant Yixing was still hurting and he was the cause. “Sehun did say you were smart.”

Yixing rolled his eyes.

“You are. Smart enough to come after me?” Jongin asked, taking in the open suitcase across the room that had been taunting him with that exact possibility since he’d let himself in. Just the fact that Yixing was making plans to follow him to Seoul was enough proof that he had made the right choice.

Yixing was Jongin’s. And for a man who had never thought in such terms before, the admission was huge.

“Come on, Xingxing. Could it be I saved you a trip?” The hope was still heard of in his voice, but Jongin didn’t care. If he’d have to lay his heart on a silver platter to get Yixing back, Jongin would happily oblige.

-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o----

“Damn you, Jongin.” Yixing reached for one crocheted pillow on the floor and tossed it to Jongin, wacking him in the head. “You’re too arrogant for your own good.”

“But not for yours, I hope? Forgive me?”

Yixing swallowed and tapped his foot on the floor. “You are arrogant,” he muttered, but a grin tugged at his lips, one he couldn’t hide, no matter how angry he was, no matter how hard he obviously tried.

Though he’ll never admit it out loud, Yixing’s heart reminded him of what he always tried to forget--- he’d always been secretly hoping for Jongin to come back for him.

They were together. And they couldn’t be happier.

-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o----

Jongin went back to make sure everything was perfect for the Seoul Autumn Fashion Show. He went back as soon as he was done with the take-over ceremony for his grandfather’s company.

After which he decided he’d try a hand at managing his business long-distance since technically, it’s possible. Yixing and him made a concession. Half a year in Seoul and half a year in Beijing.

Makes sense he’s making sure “the one who got away” in his life won’t be given a chance to run away again.


-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o----

A/N: I wanted to make an open ending actually but decided to make one just a little vague so there’ll be some space for any sequels <3 Hope you liked it!