Taeyeon's POV

Finding a Home

May 15

One hit, two hits, three hits…. He must be mad because the hits continue. I am deaf to his insults and numb to hit beatings as I am no longer here. Although my heart beats, I already feel dead. Who is going to save me?

May 17

“Help me… my father is beating me.” I plead over the phone. Yet like all other times, my pleas are ignored. Who is to save me other than myself?

I packed my backpack and duffel bag to make my escape. It wasn’t like I made an elaborate plan for this prison break but the feeling of being free once I made it through my window felt just as gratifying. I ran down the morning streets with my successful liberation granted, as I went to find a new home.

May 18

If one wants to get lost and not be found, that person should go I to a heavily populated area so I went to the city. I walked almost the whole day towards the city center. The night lights made it feel like daytime already approached yet my tired eyes wanted to find rest. Not having a plan as I arrived, I found shelter in a playground.

May 19

It wasn’t the lights or the noises of children that awoke me but my stomach. Deciding on the fact that I needed food, I found a soup kitchen. I did have some money but I knew it wouldn’t last so I planned on saving the little I had for desperate situations. As I walked around the dimly lit building, I noticed homeless people of all ages. Not wanting to sit next to a whole bunch of old men, I went to sit by a few people closer to my age.

“Fresh meat?”

I looked up from my food towards the boy, “What?”

He laughed a bit while pointing at my clothes, “You have some nice clothes there and a fresh scent about you. Did you just run?”

I cleared my throat a bit, “Ah yea.”

The boy stuck out his hand, “Well don’t be shy! I am Kangin.”

I hesitantly went to take his hand, “Taeyeon.”

Kangin pointed to random people near him, “This is Amber, Siwon, and Yuri…. Taeyeon you are one of us.”

I eyed out the people around me and nodded my head before eating my bread. However, the silence was short lived as this bunch seemed particularly talkative. Getting a word in was difficult… well close to impossible but I was an attentive listener. I heard them mention that they were going to find a new place to beg for money, “So Taeyeon are you coming?”

I looked back at Kangin, “What?”

I saw the whole group smiling at me, “You want me to come?”

“Why not? You should be part of our group or at least stay with is for a while until you get comfortable on the streets.”

“I could use help,” I whispered.

“Great!” Kangin pulled me up as the others also got up from their seats, “We need to start early or you lose the good spots.”

We went to a place near the city center. There were many people as we huddled together, “so Taeyeon tell us what brought you to our neighborhood.”

I looked back and forth at Kangin’s friends as they expected to hear an answer from me. l was reluctant to give out such personal information so the interruption was welcomed by Amber, “most of us skipped out of our parent’s home. Same?”

Kangin nodded his head,” Yea most of us had some household disputes.”

Rubbing the fresh bruise on my arm, “I had something similar.”

“Good! So we are all cool.”

I smiled a bit when the group seemed to agree with Kangin on this topic. The majority of the day was in that spot to make moneyarrow-10x10.png and to my surprise we made quite a bit. “You need a place to crash right?” I eyed out Siwon before nodding my head. “Alright! Just follow me. I know a girl who needs a new tent partner.”

Of course l was reluctant to go but I really had no other options so I followed Siwon. My doubts increased as we entered a wooded area. Yet as we ventured further, I saw a row of tents. “We normally bunk here for the night.” I looked around at this makeshift ‘village’ in the woods. It was fascinating that places like these existed. Siwon guided be over to a tent, ”So this is where you will be bunking.”

I opened the zipper but found the tent to be void of any humans, but I eyed out the various pots and survival type equipment and a sleeping bag. Since this was now my tent, l placed my bag inside and then went back out to see what Siwon was doing. “Did you want some potatoes too?”

Looking at the fire, ”Can I?”

“Come here,” he said while patting on a spot next to him. I did as he commanded while taking in the warmth of the fire. While we were watching the potatoes cook, a girl came through the wood but without a word she went into my tent. “Jessica… that is her name. Don’t take it personally if she doesn’t talk to you or anything. She has been through a lot and doesn’t talk or trust people much. Heck I have been in the same camp with her for almost half a year now but she hasn’t given me more than a hi and goodbye.”

I looked over to the tent again but almost jumped back in surprise when that girl came out holding my backpack. She looked at me with an icy glare, “Yours?”

I was so frightened that I could only nod my head an answer, “Jessica this girl is new. Just look after her for a while. She is also with you in that tent.” The girl rolled her eyes and put my bag back in the tent which she also returned to, “Like I said before, don’t mind her. She is a good girl.” Although Siwon was trying to comfort me, I wasn’t looking forward to my days sharing a tent with that girl.

After eating my potato and watching the night came. I met a few other people who also share the camp with Siwon and Jessica but unlike Siwon, most kept to themselves so I didn’t catch more than their name like Jessica. Speaking of which, I have to spend my first night in the tent with that girl right now.

I carefully pered the tent just in case the girl was sleeping but when I peeked inside, I could see her shiny eyes looking back at me, “I thought you were coming in?”

“Ah yes…” I muttered while quickly hopping into the tent and settling in next to her. I could feel her watching my every move as I shifted around but she didn’t say a word while she watched me. I found a corner where I laid down while placing my head on my backpack to sleep.

“Aren’t you cold?”

My eyes shot open towards the girl who was now leaning up looking at me, “I..I am fine…”

She got up and motioned for me to join her in the sleeping bag, “You have to try your best not to get sick out here. Come in.”

Hesitantly, I went to join her in the sleeping bag that I found very warm due to her body heat. It was a very comfortable night using the warmth of Jessica.

May 25

Caught. The one thing all of us street kids were afraid of happening to us so that is why we run and hide. I had only been away from home for five days and I was already found by the police. So here I was running away for my life…I can’t go back…. Going back means death for me in that home.

I ran left then right then right again but they were fast and I was getting tired. So tired. In was weak when an arm reached out and pulled me into an ally that my legs gave out instantly, “Come on Taeyeon! We have to go.”

I looked up to see Jessica trying to pull me along. With the little strength I had left, I got back on my feet and ran with her. We ran through the allies and side streets until she pulled me into a staircase that leads into an underground pool hall. That was where we stopped…well hidden in this place. I looked up to Jessica who was breathing heavily like me wondering why she would take the risk of getting caught to save me.

“Are you okay?” She said while looking into my eyes. I nodded my head in response. Jessica gave a sigh of relief, “I thought we lost you there. You are lucky Siwon saw you running so I could catch up with you in time.”

“Where is Siwon?”

“He blocked the police while I came to get you.” She looked into my eyes again, “He will be fine. Although he is one of us, his parents don’t have a notice out to find him. ”I looked down to my hand in Jessica’s while she helped me out of our hiding place, “Come Taeyeon, we should go home.” I smiled thinking that she welcomed me into our makeshift home… the tent we share, the village we used, and the friendship of another.