Part Three

The Wealthiest Man of All

There before him, coated generously in white petals as if nature itself was already trying to conceal the crime, was none other than Kibum’s stalker. He didn’t know what compelled him to run to his side and swat away the intruding flowers from the peasant’s body, or what had bound him to place a finger to Jonghyun’s neck to check for a pulse, or what caused the relieved sigh when he found there was one.

He, with worry and fear scribbled all over his pretty features, cautiously brought up a hand to turn Jonghyun’s face towards him. The man was alive but out cold. Kibum gently patted his cheek a couple times in order to wake him. Within what felt like hours, the body began to cough and groan, rolling over and cringing in pain when he felt the injury.

Jonghyun’s blurry vision eventually cleared until he could make out the definite yet unrealistic shape of Kim Kibum hovering over him. Before he could even open his lips to speak to the prince, Kibum was suddenly closer with his eyes a lot larger. He spewed out frightened qualms at the poor man.

“Yah! What happened to you? Who left you here? Why are you here? Are you alright?” To Kibum’s surprise, Jonghyun began to smile. A breathy chuckle escaped his lips as he relished in the care of his prince.

"You shouldn't fret over me, my love. I must use this to become stronger in order to protect you when the time comes," the humble peasant said with a small smile, holding his hands over his bleeding side and gazing up at the prince with eyes filled with adoration.

 Kibum paid no mind to the nonsense this man usually spewed. All he saw was a delirious, injured person he had to help. Cautiously, he moved his hand and placed it on top of Jonghyun's bloody ones, slowly removing it to view the deep gash in his body. The prince let out a shaky gasp as he looked at it.

Jonghyun chuckled again, despite the immense pain. Kibum only then noticed that the petals the former was laying on were dyed a deep crimson. He felt tears well up in his eyes as he involuntarily tightened his grip on the back of Jonghyun’s hand. The peasant spoke again, "It's okay, your highness," he coughed a few times, "I'll be just fine..." Jonghyun himself knew he was lying, but he had to convince himself otherwise if he wanted to live long for Kibum.

The prince panicked. He just knew this poor man was horribly malnourished and his immune system would not be capable of fighting off infection from the wound if he did not receive medical attention straightaway. He quickly stood and cupped his hands around his mouth.

"Men, come quickly! There is an injured citizen here in dire need of medical help!" Though Kibum continually requested to be alone on his walks, he knew there was always at least one or two guards assigned to trail him anyway from afar. Within seconds, two men in uniforms appeared from behind some trees. Jonghyun flushed in embarrassment as the two knights came sprinting over and hauled him into their arms. He in no way right now could seem like a fit protector for Kibum. Maybe Minho would be a better suitor for him after all...

No, Jonghyun would not let one little embarrassing encounter sway him. Kibum was his heart, and he was determined to be by his side.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o

Jonghyun was laid up in a bedroom in the palace. Kibum had demanded he receive extra special attention ("Aww, my Kibum cares for me so much already~"). Thrice a day a servant would come in to serve Jonghyun hearty meals, and once a morning another one would come and assist him in bathing and tending to his wound. Kibum had even found time each day to see Jonghyun himself, despite his overstocked schedule. In fact, at this moment, Kibum was in the midst of one of these daily checkups. He was sat down on the bedside.

"Are you feeling any better, sir?" Jonghyun smiled kindly and gently chided the other. He boldly raised his hand to run it through Kibum's golden hair, and let it eventually fall to cup the prince's jaw.

"Don't address me so formally, my love. Please just call me Jonghyun, my heart would swell hearing my name turned to music solely by its pronunciation from your lips." Kibum found himself leaning into Jonghyun's touch, even bringing a hand up to place it over the one on his face.

"Why do you speak about me in such poetry, Jonghyun?" He shook his head gently and looked to his lap, "It's not as if a love between us could ever be..." He murmured. Jonghyun simply smiled to Kibum's fallen expression.

"I was right. Beautiful music," he had chosen not to address the rest of the prince's words.

Right then, Duke Minho barged in. Jonghyun immediately retracted his hand and Kibum stood up hastily. "Kibum, it's time to leave for the conference with His and Her Highness over in the Lee Kingdom. Come quickly," Minho stood and waited in the doorway, and Kibum made his way over reluctantly. When he reached his fiancé, Minho swiftly swooped the other into a side hug and placed a chaste kiss to his lips. Minho began to pull Kibum away down the hall, but Kibum had the chance to glance back over his shoulder with concerned eyes to the injured man in bed. Jonghyun only offered a sad smile as the duke disappeared down the hall with the love of his life.

Eventually, Jonghyun had fully recovered and was now allowed to roam freely about his rather large room. The prince was informed of Jonghyun's healing, but he still ordered he be kept at the palace 'just in case'. Jonghyun smiled at the thought of the prince as he pushed open the grand doors leading to the balcony. He leaned on the rail and looked up at the night sky, examining the stars and picking out the brightest one to represent his Kibum.

He began to sing to that star, pouring out all the pent up feelings inside from longing after someone it seemed impossible to have.

"I didn't know you could sing so well," a voice from behind startled Jonghyun. He halted his singing to turn around and be met with the ever-captivating gaze of his beloved. Jonghyun chucked a bit nervously as the prince stepped closer.

"Sing again?" He asked. The poor man's eyes widened and he stayed completely still and silent, unsure if this was truly happening. But he was assured when Kibum stepped even closer and placed a kind hand on his shoulder, "Please? For me?"

Jonghyun gulped, but nodded slowly as he started another song. He and Kibum only stood there, and Kibum never removed his hand. As Jonghyun grew more and more entranced in Kibum's eyes, the prince grew more so in the peasant's flawless melody. Somehow, Jonghyun's hand had found its way into Kibum's, and somehow, Kibum's fingers interlaced themselves with Jonghyun's. Jonghyun finally moved his other hand to rest on the prince's thin waist, and the two began to sway to the melody of Jonghyun's melodious voice.

The two danced and twirled around the balcony for no one knows how long until Jonghyun's singing slowly faded out and the wonderful song stopped. They stood still, hands still intertwined and gazes still locked on each other's. Kibum looked deeply into Jonghyun's eyes, and he let the other man's name spill from his lips.

"Jonghyun..."

"Yes, darling?" He responded gently, his eyes reading nothing but sincere curiosity. But Kibum didn't say anything, instead choosing to continue staring at each other.

Maybe it was a crazy idea, maybe the dumbest thing Jonghyun's ever tried to do. Heck, maybe he had a death wish, but the poor man began to slowly move his face closer to Kibum's, fully intent on stealing a kiss.

Though he halted when the prince's eyebrows furrowed, and he quickly moved back. Jonghyun cleared his throat and moved to pull his hand from Kibum's, but for some reason, the grip on his hand became tighter. Kibum was holding his hand tighter...

Jonghyun looked down to where the two appendages were firmly latched. He quickly glanced back up, "Uhmm... I—"

Jonghyun was silenced when Kibum suddenly pressed his warm lips to his. The kiss was as magical as Jonghyun had always dreamed. Jonghyun was a bit uncertain how he should respond initially, but when Kibum’s lips started pressing harder against his own he knew he need not be so cautious. Their mouthes moved against each other’s warmly and melded perfectly, and Jonghyun even brought a hand to rest on the side of the prince’s neck and the other gripped his waist. The kiss was innocent yet somehow full of longing at the same time. Jonghyun didn’t want this moment to ever end.

When the two parted, Jonghyun's eyes were twice the normal size. Kibum spoke up again, "Jonghyun," said man took a second to gather his bearings.

"Y-yes?" He asked uncertainly as Kibum only continued to stare at him.

"My wedding is next week," the prince simply stated. Jonghyun's gaze fell and he let his hand fall from Kibum's waist.

"Yes, I'm... very well aware," he stated bitterly and dejectedly. , he thought, maybe I was stupid for ever falling in love with a prince. Jonghyun mentally reprimanded himself as now said prince was reminding him of his imminent wedding. He was about to apologize, but Kibum lifted his head up again with soft fingers under his chin. He whispered with a smile.

"But it won't be with Minho."


A/N: Here's the end! What do you think, eh? Please let me know, you! Don't forget to upvote if you liked my story! Thanks for reading, guys ^_^