Part One

The Wealthiest Man of All

Jonghyun placed a hand to his gurgling stomach as he meandered through the marketplace. In hindsight, perhaps coming to a place full of food whilst one was starving and penniless wasn’t the best idea. He’d come with the slightest sliver of hope that maybe just one merchant would be kind enough as to spare a free ware. Just one…

He shrugged his falling garment back over his shoulder as the now filthy old sack was a bit big on is shrinking frame. He’d last eaten the day before yesterday and was currently close to crying out with the pain of hunger. He bit his lip to prevent such from happening as he scuffled with bare feet along the dirt path through the maze of sellers.

Jonghyun was thankful he lived alone. He could never possibly imagine having to provide for more than himself in his lowly state, and he wasn’t even doing a good job at that to begin with. He carefully approached a fish merchant who had just sold a large halibut to a man in velvet with jingling pockets. Undoubtedly it was a palace staff member on an errand to pick up food for the big feast tonight. The dinner was in celebration of the crown prince’s recent engagement with the duke of Choi Kingdom.

“Excuse me kind sir,” Jonghyun rasped to the fish seller who jumped back, probably startled by the man’s incredibly humble appearance. Jonghyun in the slightest bit felt self-conscious and attempted to wipe a bit of dirt off his cheek, only succeeding in smudging more on.

“How can I help ya today, boy?” The man started apprehensively. Jonghyun his lips and patted his once-again noisy stomach in futile attempt to quiet the needy organ. The merchant seemingly noticed the disturbing sound and cringed a bit in discomfort.

“Uhmm, I don’t exactly have any money sir, but would you maybe—”

“Oh, I know what you be getting to, sonny, but I ain’t got no fish to spare. I gots to make my own livin’ of this here catch and I can’t be giving fish out all willy-nilly. You best be trekking on elsewhere.” With a labored bow, Jonghyun did exactly that. After the fish merchant, he was turned down from a poultry stand, a vegetable stand, and even a fruit stand, and he was beginning to feel the hope slink out of him. No, no Jonghyun would not die of starvation; he has too much to live for.

Live for what, you may ask. Tis true Jonghyun had hardly anything excluding the rags on his back to call his own, but it is also true that despite his bleary life, there was one single ray of sunshine.

And that was none other than the crown prince himself: Kim Kibum.

Every day Jonghyun’s first thought would be of the young royal, and his first mission would always to be travelling into the village square to gather any and all news on the Prince’s ever-busy schedules. Hence, how he knew about the engagement celebration today. Oh! That’s  a good point, Jonghyun thought, I should take a wash before attending… Again, Jonghyun was placing unattainable plans in his head with any thought of getting inside the palace for that ceremony. Only a select few middle-class citizens and other royals were allowed to attend. Jonghyun was below all of that.

Jonghyun was nothing but a peasant.

But that will not stop me from achieving my beloved! He mentally encouraged himself as he puttered over to a bread stand. The smell was so enticing that his mouth watered over his lips just watching the baker pull out a tray of a fresh loaf. The lady smiled proudly at her perfect creation. This is my last try, Jonghyun thought despairingly. Maybe I’ll just eat tomorrow… His stomach pinched him in anger at such a preposterous idea.

“Excuse me, miss,” he started, trying to stand up as straight as possible. The lady looked up in question and nodded in attention. “Would you possibly be able to part with one loaf with no pay?” The baker gasped and furrowed her eyebrows. Darn, Jonghyun had tried to word that as nicely as he could. He quickly tried to defend himself, “I mean, I haven’t eaten in two days, and I’m incredibly famished,” he tried the new word for ‘hungry’ that he’d heard his Kibum speak on one occasion.

“I do truly apologize, sir, however I cannot—”

“Pardon me, madam,” a new voice cut in the two’s exchange as it trotted over on a horse flanked by two others. Jonghyun looked up and smiled greatly at the sight of the prince before him. Said man looked down, blonde hair practically shimmering backlit by sunlight. Kibum looked like a pure angel. He perfectly dismounted his steed and walked up between Jonghyun and the baker who bowed deeply.

“Your highness!” she squeaked.

“Hello, um, I would like one loaf please?” the merchant looked at him questioningly.

“Only one? You aren’t preparing for your feast or anything and don’t need a hundred?” man, even Jonghyun scoffed at her greed. Kibum only smiled with a small shake of his head and held up a pouch of coins.

“Yes, just the one. How much?”

“Two gold pieces, your highness.” Kibum then deposited said amount in her hand, received the loaf, and then to Jonghyun’s glee, turned to face him. However, the gentle smile was gone, only replaced by a look of indifference.

“Here,” Kibum the warm bread into Jonghyun’s arms and began to walk back to his horse. Jonghyun called after him.

“Wait! My love, I cannot accept this from you,” he protested. Kibum didn’t turn around and sighed. Here we go with this again, the prince thought. This was not his first meeting with the peasant, in fact, it was only one of fairly many. The man had always managed to appear to him in whatever situation, even if it be something as simple as taking a walk down to a hidden lake. He somehow always knew, and on top of what Kibum had assumed as stalking him, he had continued to refer to him with endearments as if the two were together.

“Listen, Junghoon—”

“It’s actually, ‘Jonghyun,’ my sweet,” Kibum narrowed his eyes in warning, but the dense and innocent man before him only blinked in anticipation of his next words.

“Don’t argue again over which of us is meant to provide for whom, just take it and don’t drop dead on the soils of my kingdom.” Kibum knew his words were a bit harsh, but one practically needed a blacksmith’s mallet to knock anything into Jonghyun’s thick skull. Sure enough, Jonghyun replied with a loving smile.

“Alright then, but only this once!” Jonghyun gave in and Kibum turned to leave again, hopping skillfully back atop his stallion. Jonghyun took a step towards the prince with his hand out to halt him, and instantly the two guards following Kibum had placed their hands on the hilts of their swords. Jonghyun ignored them and focused on his prince.

“I will see you at the celebration tonight, my beautiful Bummie~” The prince scoffed.

“You do understand it’s my engagement celebration, right? I’m getting married, Jonghyun. To the duke, not you.” The relayed information, straight from those precious bow-shaped lips nonetheless, were like daggers to Jonghyun’s heart, but the latter would not be swayed.

“I’m fully aware of what the ceremony entails, love, but my heart is forever with you.” Key muttered something under his breath that sounded like ‘totally hopeless’ and with a flick of his bracelet-adorned wrist at Jonghyun, rode off back to the palace, his two guards right on his trail. Jonghyun is certain he's making progress with the beauty.

He rationed off the bread, ate some (much to the relief of his weeping insides), and went to find a stream to wash in. He had to look nice for his Kibum’s celebration, didn’t he?


A/N: Hi! I decided to make this entire story a bit more detailed, so I'll try to upload the rest soon within small chapters like this one. What do you think so far? Please subscribe and comment~~

Also, any KyuSung shippers out there? I'm going to be starting a new SUJU fic starring them soon, so please anticipate it! <3