Final

Sorry I Was Blind

Run.

That was the only thing that was important to him at the moment.

 

“Hyung! Wait for me! You know I can never run as fast as you... Please slow down!”

I laughed as I went sprinting through the halls towards the cafeteria, leaving Byunghun struggling behind me.

“Come on, Byung! You can do it. Run!”

 

His heart was pounding hard against his chest. “I cannot be late. I cannot be late” he recited to himself over and over again. The beautiful memories of his past were replaying in his head; every single precious moment with him.

 

His head laid comfortably on my chest as we gazed at the beautiful night sky.

“Channie hyung, your heart’s beating so hard. Next time you shouldn’t rush here,” Byunghun chuckled.

I smiled and rested my arms comfortably under my head.

“Yeah. I guess” I panted.

 

He thought about how never noticed it before. Those eyes. That constant flushed face. The silent looks. It only became too obvious to him moments ago. He thought about that letter; the WRETCHED letter that laid on his bedroom table. “I was so blind,” he cried.

 

“What am I supposed to do Byung? That girl over there’s looking over at us,” I whispered to Byunghun, cheeks beet red.

I stole a glance at the girl standing by the row of lockers at the end of the hallway. I looked to Byunghun for help.

“I don’t think---“

“I’m going to say hi.”

 

Tears were b by the corner of his eyes.  “I didn’t even hear what he got to say” he whispered. Chanhee ran past the old art room and took a hard turn to his right. His feet slipped and his body came crashing into the adjacent wall. Chanhee slid down the wall. A distraught yell escaped his lips and he began sobbing harder than before.

His ears were ringing due to his sudden contact with the wall. The royal blue plaid shirt he was wearing started to get soaked with the tears that were streaming down his face. “B-Byung,” he croaked.

 

 

“Chanhee-ah! Are you---“

“Sorry Byung, I can’t. I’m going out with Kaerin. Another time okay?”

I noticed Byunghun’s crestfallen expression. I placed my hand on his shoulder and gave him a reassuring smile. I turned around and walked towards Kaerin who was waiting for me at the school exit.

I heard a soft whisper… but ignored it.

 

Despite the pain, Chanhee had no time to dilly-dally. He had to get to the rooftop no matter what. He had to prevent the horrible event that was planned that day. He ignored the increasing pain in his leg as he ran through the empty halls towards an isolated corridor that was not at all unfamiliar to him.

 

“Remember when we met, Byung-ah? It was up here on this very day.”

“Did you ever regret it, Hyung?”

“Not one bit, Byung.”

 Byunghun and I continued to look over the edge into the horizon, thinking about our future; a future that will definitely include the both of us together. I took a glimpse at Byunghun and saw his face flushed. I chuckled and rested my arm over his shoulder.

“You’re the bestest friend ever, Lee Byunghun.”

 

His head was spinning. It hurt. Why had he only realised this now? His best friend. His first friend. Had been in love with him for 5 years. Chanhee’s heart rate increased even more; and it wasn’t because he was running. “Do I love him too?” he gasped.

 

“And-and then Byung carried me and threw me into the pool! It was super hilarious!!!” I laughed as I told Kaerin about Byunghun and my misadventures.

“Seems to me that you and Byunghun oppa are super close… Maybe I should be careful. He might steal my boyfriend,” she chuckled, lowering her head slowly.

“He’s practically my brother,” I replied sheepishly, rubbing the back of my neck.

I felt my cheeks heat up… but I ignored it

 

Chanhee’s thoughts were in such a disarray. It only made him cry harder. His shirt was now drenched in perspiration and tears. His hazel-brown hair stuck to his forehead. The denim blue skinny jeans clung to his legs, making them look skinnier than ever.

As he made his final turn, Chanhee’s eyes widened when he spotted the very staircase that would lead him to his destination.

“To the rooftop”

Chanhee paused at the foot of the staircase. His body trembled as his stared at the scene before him. A flight of stairs has never looked that intimidating before. I have no time to idle… I might be too late... Please still be there, Byung.

Without any hesitation, Chanhee raced up the stairs, skipping a few steps on the way. He could not get his mind off Byunghun. He jumped onto the final step and reached for the door knob. Chanhee twisted it left and right.

It was locked.

 

THUMP!

 

“BYUNG!”

 

THUMP!

 

“Byung please let me through!” Chanhee begged, voice cracking significantly as he leaned against the door. His ears perked as he heard seemingly silent shuffling on the other side. Determined to save his best friend, no, his first love, from his impending downfall, Chanhee stepped back and ran into the door once more.

Suddenly, he felt the force that was restricting him from passing through disappear. Chanhee came tumbling through the threshold that separated him from Byunghun.

“BYUNGHUN STOP!” he yelled.

There he stood. Lee Byunghun. His best friend and true love. Standing over the edge of the rooftop, their special place. Byunghun turned to him and cracked a small smile.

“It’s okay Chanhee. Be happy with her. I know it’s what you want. Sorry for whatever I’ve done. Saranhaeyo… Chanhee,” he whispered.

And that’s when Byunghun jumped.

 

“BYUNGHUN!!!” Chanhee screamed, running forward.

 

But he was too late. Chanhee had just witnessed the person who’s the most important to him jump off the edge to his death. He winced as he heard the body make contact with the hard ground below. Chanhee fell to the ground and let out a massive wail.

“W-what do you know w-what I w-want… I want you t-to be b-beside me… Because it was you. It had always been you,” Chanhee whimpered, his word inaudible to anyone but him.

I was too blind to realise it…