Healer: Beyond His Mask

{The Warriors' Tale} Healer: Beyond His Mask
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hwang Mirae looked out at the field as the men fought each other with swords and spears.

Practice, they all called it. Preparing for war, they all said.

But she didn't see it as such. Sometimes, it all became too serious. Sometimes, it all looked too real. To Mirae, this practice they had every day really concerned her. Although it was practice that no one got hurt in, just seeing it worried her, because if this was just practice, then the real thing would be even more severe, and she didn't like the thought of that. She didn't like the thought of war.

"You're sighing again," a voice perked up from behind her.

"That warrior," Mirae responded quietly. "He doesn't look well, but he's out there practicing."

"Which one?" The woman behind her came closer to get a better view.

"The one in blue." Mirae pointed at the two fighting out in the fields. "Jongin. The minister's son."

"He looks fine to me," the woman turned to face Mirae. "Does he look sick to you?"

Mirae shook her head, confusing the older female. "He doesn't look sick. Just... Not well."

"Are you playing with words to confuse me, or do you not know how to explain what you're trying to say?" When she was given no response, the woman laughed. "Well, if he doesn't look well to you, then you should go out and stop their practice."

Mirae turned her head in response. "Why would I stop their practice? We all know how important practice is for the warriors."

"Exactly why you shouldn't need to worry." She smiled and patted Mirae's back. "Come back to the doctor's unit. They said they need your help there."

Mirae pursed her lips. She should've known that the moment the woman showed up, it meant work time. She would've taken off already, but she was too focused on the practice the warriors were having. Like always.

"I'll be there." Mirae turned forward again, watching the fight in the field.

The woman smiled and left her alone. Now, it was just Mirae, alone, watching them from afar. The rest of the warriors were watching as well, but they were closer, and she wasn't. It was only then that she noticed something was off about the practice fight between Jongin and the other warrior by the name of Sehun.

She scrunched her brows in concern. She was no professional when it came down to fighting, but she did know a bit about it, and by the looks of it, this practice had become more than practice. It seemed to have become serious, and Mirae realized she wasn't the only one who noticed. The rest of the warriors did as well, because some picked up their weapons and began to move in towards the two fighting boys, in hopes that they would be able to stop the two.

Unknowingly, Mirae had gotten closer, and before she knew it, her legs were picking up, and she was running at full speed.

"Oh Sehun! Stop it! What are you trying to do?" Mirae heard some warriors shout. Though they had tried to get near, the warriors couldn't stop it. If they do try, someone would get hurt, and no one was wanting to risk getting hurt right before the war.

"Sehun! Drop your sword!" Another command.

"Jongin, keep blocking!" And another.

"I am!" Jongin shouted as he blocked Sehun's sword continuously. The speed Sehun was coming at him with was dangerously fast, and he wasn't sure if he could hold off any longer.

Mirae rushed towards the crowd of warriors.

"Stop them!" Mirae shouted, trying to pass the warriors, who were shocked by her appearance.

"Don't let Mirae go near them," she heard Suho command.

Suho was a great friend of hers, and to the warriors, he was a great leader in terms of teaching the others what they were lacking in when their commander wasn't at practice with them.

"What are you doing here?" Chanyeol questioned as he pushed Mirae back, blocking her way to make sure she wouldn't go towards the fight that was happening. A few other men helped Chanyeol block her as well, at the same time as keeping their eyes out at the fight to make sure the fight wasn't heading over to them.

Mirae heaved a angry sigh. "What are you doing? Stop them! You're just going to let them fight?!"

"We're trying!" Chanyeol shouted back. "You're a distraction to us! Go back to the doctor's unit."

"No one's stopping them!" Mirae argued. She looked passed the warriors, and like she said, no one was stopping them. Or at least, they were too scared to try. At this rate, the blocker would end up getting hurt, because it didn't seem like Sehun was going to stop anytime soon.

"It's dangerous right now, Mirae," Chanyeol hissed. "Go back."

"He's going to get hurt if you guys don't stop this fight!" Mirae tackled Chanyeol, causing the guy to fall over. With her unexpected attack, the warriors, who were helping Chanyeol keep her away, were too shocked to act. Using this opportunity, Mirae ran towards the fight.

"Hwang Mirae!" She heard Suho called her.

She didn't care, nor did she spare him a glance. On the way to the fight between the two men, Mirae picked up a sword that a warrior had dropped. She ran towards Jongin and Sehun. As Sehun raised his sword to attack Jongin, Mirae interceded it with her sword, and using that chance, she kicked him in the chest. She took another swing with her sword at his. The fact that Sehun was taken by surprise, his sword flew from his grip, and he lost his balance and fell back to the ground.

With Sehun unarmed, the warriors came to hold Sehun back from attacking any futher, and the others approached Jongin and Mirae.

After seeing Sehun be taken away to calm down, Mirae dropped the sword in her hands and turned around where Jongin was breathing heavily, dropping his sword as well.

"Jongin, are you okay?"

"You're not hurt, are you?'

"Are you hurt anywhere?"

Questions flew at Jongin as his eyes were kept on Sehun as the guy was taken further and further away. Relief filled Mirae up seeing tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter