An Ironic Barrier

Far From Home

Three young men walk leisurely down a dune to the beach. They are dressed warmly in crimson-colored coats. They don small smiles and speak quietly to each other, occasionally chuckling. Their language is foreign, but their excitement is clear as they point out the unending ocean.

Two continue to converse and walk, while the other stops, his eyebrows furrowing suddenly. He shouts in confusion and points his forefinger at a figure on the shore. He begins to run toward the figure, his coat flapping behind him.

"Chen-ah!" the other two shout, along with another few words. They follow after him.

Their tennis-shoes indent the malleable sand as they run. Closing in on the figure, the three see that it is a girl. The disheveled manner they have found her in worries them. A relaxing day at the beach turned out to be a strange one. They did not expect this turn of events.

"Baekhyun. Sehun." Chen pleads. His usually bright eyes seem frantic. He does not know what to do. They kneel around her and chatter frustratedly.

Hearing the voices around her, the girl stirs. She frowns in her sleep. Her eyes open, revealing her coffee-colored irises.

The men gasp quietly. Sehun pulls out his phone and dials the hospital's number. A woman answers, and Sehun speaks quickly to her. When he gets off the phone, the other men continue to speak with each other, but their eyes never leave the girl who looks completely bewildered.

She looks different from the three young men. Her eyes are rounder, her nose longer, and her lips fuller. In contrast, their eyes are a very beautiful almond shape, their noses like buttons, and their lips smaller but no less alluring.

The girl feels like a specimen in a lab full of madly curious scientists. She tries to sit up, but the cold has made her weak. Her head hits the sand again and her eyes wander from side to side. As her heart-rate increases, a headache she did not know she had worsens with each pound of her heart.

They speak to her, but she does not understand the foreign language. She wants to disappear. A continuous image in her mind is the view out of a small, round window: a gorgeous pink sunset clouded by a dark storm. Confusion blankets her mind as she stares up at the men. She wonders why that is the only thing she can think of.

One man continuously speaks to her in a soft, smooth tone. Though she understands nothing, she feels as though he is trying to comfort her, and it helps just the smallest bit.

The siren of an ambulance pierces the attentive ears of the three men. They look around for the vehicle, and when they see it, Baekhyun and Sehun stand and wave them over. 

Chen, however, continues to speak soft, kind words to her as she trembles. Something inside him needs to stay by her side and to protect her. His hands feel awkwardly idle; he is unsure whether to hold her hand comfortingly, to smooth the hair on her damaged head, or to just do nothing. He chooses his last option, keeping his hands in his lap, not wanting to overwhelm her.

The paramedics arrive and jump out of the vehicle like they are on a mission. They march quickly down the dune with a long, white stretcher. Muttering little phrases to each other while they bend down, they check for the girl's pulse and eyes and anything else than can be checked. 

"Will she be okay?" Sehun questions.

"It's too early to know," one of the paramedics replies, smiling sympathetically, but also distractedly.

The paramedics had shooed the three men away, and they now stand, huddled, to one side. They watch their acquaintance murmur and mumble - it is nothing that they can decipher. Her limp and fevered body is lifted onto the stretcher, up the dune, and into the back of the ambulance.

The girl's rescuers stand quietly in slight shock as they watch the ambulance drive away.

"Should we follow them?" Baekhyun says.

"I don't know! That was really strange!" Chen replies.

"She was just lying there," Sehun begins, wide-eyed. "I'd feel bad if she died in there, and we didn't know it. We should go later today."

The other two agree and kick at the sand a little, looking disheartened. 

"Today was supposed to be a fun beach day. But now I'm too shaken up to do a thing." Chen says dejectedly. They all sigh.

"I wonder if she's okay."