2/2

Listen To Me

It felt weird not getting up to go meet Mijoo at the cafe. It felt weird not having her ring on her anymore. It felt weird not seeing the girl everyday. It felt weird not receiving goodmorning and goodnight texts from the girl anymore. It all just felt weird.
 

It’s been a month since their breakup and it’s been on Yein’s mind everyday. Not only was the breakup on her mind, but every memory she’s ever shared with Mijoo was on her mind. Mijoo was on her mind.

 

She admits, she had gotten bored of Mijoo and that’s why she distanced herself. But she regrets it now. She hadn’t known that it would have made Mijoo as heartbroken as it did. She didn’t know that it’d hurt so much when Mijoo had broken up with her although that’s what she had wanted to happen ever since she started distancing herself.

 

She regrets it, but she thinks that Mijoo deserves someone better than her and she stops herself from pressing the call button on Mijoo’s contact every time she somehow ends up there.

 

Mijoo deserves someone better than her.

 

-

 

Yein sees someone in the far aisle of the market that seemed like Mijoo but it couldn’t have been Mijoo because the girl was so skinny you could probably see her bones. But, as Yein nears, she realizes that it really is Mijoo. She gasps lightly and stares as the older girl checks the pricing for a food can before shoving it back on the shelf, exhaling as she does so.

 

Yein frowns and starts walking towards her before stopping dead in her tracks. Did she even have the right to talk to her anymore? After all, she did break her heart. As Yein looks at Mijoo again, she throws away her earlier thoughts and walks closer.

 

“Mijoo…”

 

The older one jumps at the familiar voice and thinks she’s hallucinating when she hears Yein’s voice until she sees the girl standing not to far from her. Yein scans the girl’s face and realizes that Mijoo has lost a ton of weight. Mijoo looks at her before she brushes past the girl without a word. Yein frowns and watches Mijoo walk away from her, poker-faced.

 

That night, she receives a text.

 

From: Mijoo

Not so nice being on the opposite end, is it?

 

And to say the least, Yein gets very bitter.

 

-

 

It had been a couple weeks since Yein’s last encounter with Mijoo. She began to get worried. Mijoo was clearly not in the best state of health last time she saw her and Yein was concerned at the thought of Mijoo being worse.

 

She throws her pride aside and texts Mijoo late at night.

 

To: Mijoo

Are you okay?

 

From: Mijoo

Now you want to ask me that?

 

From: Mijoo

But, to answer your question, I’m doing just dandy.

 

To: Mijoo

Stop the sarcasm.

 

Yein doesn’t get a reply back and she really starts to worry after that night.

 

-

 

Yein was laying in bed one night reviewing for her test when she gets a phone call. She answers without looking at the caller ID.

 

“Yein?” It was Mijoo. She sounded like she had been crying because she was constantly sniffing. Yein immediately sat up straighter, “Mijoo? What’s wrong?”

 

“I need a place to stay and you’re the only person I know who -“

 

“- You can come over. Are you walking?” Yein cuts in. Mijoo sniffles, “Yeah.”

 

-

 

“It’s freezing outside,” Yein pulls Mijoo into her house by the wrist as soon as she opens the door, a large gust of wind giving her chills. It was raining which meant that it was probably even colder for someone who was walking. She eyes Mijoo and notices the girl’s pink cheeks and red nose, not to mention the faint trail of tears. Her clothes were drenched to the core and Yein speaks.

 

“I’ll lend you some clothes to wear. Come on.”

 

-

 

“Is this some form of pity or something?” Mijoo asks, sitting on Yein’s bed with her legs bent to her chest. Yein shakes her head, moving her textbook onto the bedside table, “No.”

 

“Well, you’re being awfully nice to me.” The older one bites back a remark about Yein being nicer than her right now than she had been in the last six months of their relationship, but Yein knew what she was going to say.

 

Yein feels the guilt building up at the bottom of her chest, “I’m sorry. I didn’t expect you to be so heartbroken about it. If I knew you would be, I wouldn’t have separated myself from you.”

 

Mijoo stares at her in disbelief, “You didn’t think that the love of my life ignoring me would hurt me?”

 

The younger one tries to collect her thoughts after they had jumbled up when Mijoo called her the love of her life.

 

“I.. I didn’t want to be the one to end the relationship. It was stupid and dumb of me, I know. I -”

 

“- Stop talking.” Mijoo interrupts, “You’re going to make me regret breaking up with you.” She lays down and turns on her side, facing away from Yein as she pulls the blanket up to her shoulders.

 

“Don’t you already regret it?” Yein whispers.

 

“More than I’ve ever regretted something in my life, yes.” Mijoo closes her eyes, “But what’s done is done.”

 

“No, don’t go to sleep. We need to keep talking.”

 

“Funny how I always thought that in my head whenever you would ignore me but never had the guts to say it outloud, and here you are, saying that to me.” Mijoo’s voice was cold, “It’s amusing.”

 

“I’m sorry, okay? I’m sorry.”

 

Mijoo doesn’t reply but she lays wide awake as Yein shuts off the light and enters the bed. She could feel the heat radiating off from the younger girl and she unconsciously cuddles closer. Yein gazes at the back of Mijoo’s head.

 

The brunette hears the older one speak in a small voice, “I’ve had a really long day,” She sighs, “And whether we’re dating or not, I really need a friend right now.”

 

Yein takes that as a, ‘Go ahead and hug me.’ So she wraps her arms around Mijoo’s waist and pulls her close, “Something happen with your mom?”

 

Mijoo nods, curling her body against Yein’s.

 

“Did she kick you out?”

 

Another nod. Yein could feel Mijoo start to tremble slightly, a small sob escaping her.

 

“I still love her.” Mijoo cries, “She’s my mother.”

 

Yein knits her eyebrows together and places a light kiss on the back of Mijoo’s neck, tightening her hold on the girl.

 

-

 

After Mijoo exits the bathroom, Yein speaks, “You’re welcome to stay as long as you want.”

 

“That’ll be weird.” Mijoo states and Yein frowns, “We broke up three months ago.”

 

“Who said it was impossible to get back together?”

 

Mijoo replies instantly with a stern tone, “Yein, no.”

 

The brunette stands from the side of her bed, “Why not?” She asks exasperatedly. Mijoo tears up instantly, “Because, maybe, I don’t want the same thing to happen to us again.”

 

“It won’t.”

 

“How are you so sure?” Mijoo retorts, “How do you know that you won’t get bored of me again and how do you know that you won’t start distancing yourself from me again, huh?” Mijoo takes steps closer to Yein and stares her directly in the eyes. This time, Yein doesn’t back off.

 

“Because I. Love. You.

 

“You said that nine months ago.”

 

“When I thought that I was bored of you, I wasn’t. I wasn’t bored with you, I was bored with the same old routine in my life. I was bored of my lifestyle. It was stupid of me to put the blame on you, yes I get that, but, Mijoo,” She says her name with so much emotion it hurts, “I love you. And when you broke up with me I realized that I lost the best thing I had going on in my life and I don’t want to give up on you just yet.” Yein grabs both of Mijoo’s hands and interlocks their fingers together, “Please.” She pleads with shiny eyes.

 

Mijoo bites down on her bottom lip to keep it from trembling, blinking once, a tear falling down her cheek before she nods once. Yein smiles even with the tears in her eyes. She leans in and kisses Mijoo gently.

 

“I love you. I have never stopped loving you.” Yein whispers.

 

“You’re a jerk.” Mijoo whines, leaning her forehead against Yein’s. The younger one smiles and pecks her on the lips again.

 

“But,” Mijoo grins, “I love you anyways.”