Failing Statistics

More Than Love

It is on his deathbed that he finally remembers. He remembers everything with a clarity so real, the tears b at his eyes fall, silently marking the wrinkled, aged skin. His face forms a weak smile, his eyes sliding shut, the last of the light from his eyes winks at the faces around.

My family. Take care.

The EKG monitor’s shrill noise finally quieted to the background as the family around Suho shuffle to say their finally goodbyes. They all know that he’s gone, but it wouldn’t feel right if they left without saying it. No matter how final, how saddening it may be. Max kissed him on the forehead, then Amber laying a soft hand over Suho’s rough hands, and so on. Jongdae was last, his red-rimmed eyes refusing to look at the older man’s face.

“Rest in peace, Dad. Don’t worry, he’s up there too. You won’t be too lonely. Wait for us, alright? See you soon.” he whispered.

Jongdae placed a gentle hand on Suho’s arm, and finally looked at his face. The face of a man who’s experienced too much heartache. Though Suho had experienced some peace in his final moments, the ravages of time had done its work. The deep wrinkles where a scowl would be, his eyebrows almost set in thought. The blueish purple pattern of veins running visible through his body under the thin layer of bronzed skin finally settling as rigor mortis slowly set in.

Jongdae, after a few minutes, slowly got up, wiped his tears with the palm of his hand, and walked out. The door clicked shut as it closed softly. The vase near the window filled with flowers masking the scent of death that slowly filled the air. The sunlight streamed in, glinting off the vase, and caressed Suho’s skin, giving one last feeling of warmth.

 

-------------------  63 Years Earlier -----------------

“You’ll be okay. It’s only one test right?” Tao encouraged, or at least attempted to. Suho groaned, his voice muffled by the table he was currently squishing his head against.

“I’m a failure and the teacher knows it.” Suho reached up and threw his blue hoodie over his head, covering up the blond locks of hair that fanned out like a mop on the table

“Well that’s no way to through a pity party” Suho looked up at sound of the female’s voice. Jessica sat down next to Tao, her lunch tray plopping down in front of Suho, gaining another groan from the latter. Suho face planted the table again, a red mark beginning to form on his forehead.

“I’m not throwing a pity party…” mumbled Suho. He sighed, finally picking his head up only to rest his elbows on it, and rubbed at his forehead. His Statistics teacher, Ms. Park, failed him, again, on his last test. The pressure was building in Suho. He really needed to pass this class if he wanted earn his Psychology major. “It’s not even hard! It’s freaking Statistics!”

“So then why are you failing?” Jessica questioned. Tao raised an eyebrow at Suho, simultaneously biting into a particularly crisp apple. Suho glared at him, as if Tao were an annoying pest who wouldn’t leave. His black t-shirt with the bright yellow lettering burning Suho’s precious eyes just by staring directly at it.

“What?” Tao asked mid-chew. “Don’t blame me. You’re the one failing”

“I realize, you brat. It’s just that there’s so much to memorize and I can’t keep it all in my head.” Suho grumbled. He was normally a decent student. Not incredible, but not average either. Things just came naturally to him, rarely had Suho ever felt the need to study. Unless, of course, it was Arithmetic. Arithmetic’s, despite it’s straight-forwardness, was never an easy thing for Suho. It was all memorize and estimate. There was no creative thought, no free-thinking, simply dos and don’ts.

“Have you tried flash cards?” Jessica asked, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. She flipped her dark brown hair over shoulder, revealing the smooth skin of her shoulder, barely covered by the over the shoulder crop-top.

“Yes I’ve tried flash cards, nitwit. I’ve tried everything, short of magic!” he exasperated. “And no, magic is not real.” He added, glaring at Jessica. She responded with a face, tongue sticking out and face scrunched, before resuming eating. It was silent for a while, the trio thinking of different ways to help, well one of them was, at least. Jessica was distracted by her food, and Suho was busy wallowing in his grief to care.

“I don’t know what to tell you then. Get a tutor?” Tao sighed. Suho swung his head towards Tao, as if he suddenly started speaking a completely different language. His eyebrows scrunched together, as the gears in his brain almost visibly started churning.

“I actually didn’t think of that. Thanks, Tao!” With that, Suho jumped out of his seat, the chair screeching against the floor, and ran off, without even saying goodbye.

“What would he do without us.” Jessica mumbled in between bites.

“Probably die. In a corner. Actually, he’d be stuck in the trash can from 3rd grade.” Tao grinned, it reached his ears as he struggled to control his peels of laughter.

Jessica smiled at the memory, “If I remember correctly, you got stuck as well.”

“Hey! I got out eventually. Unlike this dummy, we had to help him.”

Jessica hummed in agreement, before getting up to throw away her trash. 

 

 

A/N: Sorry it's a short chapter, but heres a preview. I'll try and update every Friday. If I don't, please be patient! It may be a special chapter ;D