Chapter Two

The Internship

While I was staring like a moron at the handsome man, he extended his arm towards me. ‘Hi, I’m Kim Heechul. Nice to meet you’. I snapped back into reality upon hearing his velvety voice. My arm automatically went forward to meet his. His big hand engulfed my small one, and I was not surprised to feel his baby soft hands. ‘Hi, I’m Jessica Alvarez. Nice to meet you too.’ I finally managed to find my voice and awkwardly introduced myself. When we let go of our hands, I found my cheeks stain a bright red, which often happened in such situations. When I covertly glanced at Heechul, I saw a tiny smile gracing his lips. It then occurred to me that he must know the effect he had on people and must be accustomed to such situations. The thought that he could read through me so easily just caused to add to my nervousness. I forced myself and tore my gaze away. ‘So can you tell me a little bit about yourself Jessica?’ I immediately launched into my well-rehearsed elevator speech. Heechul’s aura was not very intimidating and his bright smile made me relax a bit. He then proceeded to ask me a few questions regarding my resume which I tried to answer as confidently as possible. By this time I was almost able to avoid his direct gaze by staring at his nose, a technique I had mastered for exactly such awkward situations.

Seemingly satisfied with my answers, he asked me a few technical questions here and there. None were as difficult as I expected. When he asked me a question requiring calculations, I started to solve it on paper. I was trying to explain my thought process as I solved so as not to leave him without knowing my method of solving the problem. At one point I got stuck with a probability equation, and looked up to find him staring intently at me. I blushed and looked down at my paper. Then I heard him softly provide a hint – ‘Maybe the probability should be 1/4’. ‘That’s right!’ I exclaimed, causing him to smile at me.

After Heechul was done interviewing me, he asked me the customary question – was there anything I was curious about the company? I promptly asked him to describe the work he did in the company and a day in his work life. At this he smiled and told me ‘Well, I am a manager in the equity derivatives department.’ From the way he was describing his work, I could tell that despite having a very hectic work schedule he was really passionate about his job. It was definitely one of the reasons he attained a managerial position at his young age. That, or he had deceptively child-like looks. While he was talking, I half-listened and found myself observing him. His face was very pretty, so much so that he almost looked androgynous. One of his ears had the tiniest of diamond studs in it that kept drawing my eye. They seemed a bit rebellious for his job profile, but I was always a er for ear piercings. I noticed the way his hands moved while he spoke, and his long white fingers were caressing a pen. I suddenly wished to be that pen, and mentally rebuked myself. ‘Get a grip Jessica!’

Reluctantly, I dragged my gaze away from his hands to see that he was looking expectantly at me. ‘I’m sorry what did you say?’ I asked. ‘I just asked if you have any more questions for me’ he replied with a smile. ‘I think you covered everything I wanted to know. When can I expect to hear from you?’ ‘Two weeks at max. It was great meeting you.’ After a firm handshake, he rose from his seat to me to the reception area on the floor. I thanked him and was about to turn to leave when he said ‘I hope to meet you soon.’ ‘Me too’ I replied, and found myself walking away with a smile.

That went quite well, I thought to myself. I crossed my fingers and prayed to God that I landed the internship.