Chapter One

The Internship

‘What if I don’t wake up on time tomorrow?’ I asked my friend Michelle with worry. ‘Have you forgotten the dozen alarms that you put in your phone Jessica?’ came her annoyed voice through my phone. I knew that I was worrying unnecessarily, but it was after all a big day tomorrow. I had an interview with Global Technology Services, one of the biggest asset management firms in New York. I had applied for an internship as a Summer Financial Analyst for the company, and I had been invited for an interview tomorrow. Despite preparing my best, I was nervous. Being a Finance senior in New York University, I didn’t really have much relevant work experience and I considered my talent at charming people with my skills mediocre at best. Nonetheless, after talking to Michelle for a bit, I managed to calm myself enough to sleep.

The next morning I woke up nice and early as predicted by Michelle. I put on my best suit and got ready for the interview. I just hoped that I would still look professional after my harrowing subway ride and not like a hot mess. NYC roads in the morning are a sight to behold! They’re jam-packed with people balancing coffees in one hand and cellphones in the other trying to get to work on time. I mentally cursed the recruiter who thought it was a great idea to call in people at 9 am for an interview. Being more of a night person, I found it difficult to concentrate on my surroundings and was jostled around by people while trying to find the right building.

I was soon welcomed by the receptionist and ushered into a conference room in the office. The office was everything that an intern’s dreams are made of. I could just imagine coming to work here every day in my suit looking like a Wall Street professional. Sometimes I managed to surprise even myself with my dorky thoughts. ‘A manager will be with you soon’ the receptionist Kate said with a bright smile and thankfully left me to my own devices. I was in no mental state for small talk with all my preparations for the interview were swirling in my head like a tornado. Sitting there in anticipation made me all the more nervous for the interview, and I started imagining a stuck-up old man coming over to grill me about everything that I hadn’t studied. I tried to take deep breaths to clear my mind. ‘This is just an interview, not a life and death situation’ I tried to remind myself.

A while passed and I glanced at my watch as it showed me that it was half past 9. Just as I thought that they were going to outright reject my application before even interviewing me for the position, Kate came in with an apologetic look on her face. ‘I’m so sorry for the delay Jessica’ she told me. ‘The interviewer has an emergency meeting that cannot be postponed. I have requested Heechul to interview you instead and he has kindly accepted. He will be coming over in a few minutes.’ ‘That’s alright’ I replied while mentally sighing in relief. At least the interview won’t be rescheduled! I do hope that Mr. Heechul is not very intimidating. ‘Alright then. Good luck’ she smiled at me and softly closed the door behind her.

 To relieve some of the stress in my body, I started walking around to the front of the room. I was fidgeting with my shoes when I heard the door behind me open. I instantly straightened my back, took a deep breath and forced my lips upwards into a smile. I turned around to face the prettiest milky white face I had ever had the fortune to lay my eyes on, and felt my smile freeze on my face.