Secrets

Seunghyun(s)
 

 

Seunghyun seems to realize what’s going on just a beat after Seungri does.  His face grows pale, and he looks like he’s going to be sick, and is that really what Seungri’s face looks like when he’s distressed? 

“This is impossible,” Seunghyun whispers.  He kneels back down on the bed and shakes Jiyong’s shoulder.  “Jiyong.  Something seriously weird is going on.”

“Jiyong-hyung,” he corrects.  “Do you wanna die?

Seunghyun pulls back as if his wrist’s been slapped, and now that Seungri thinks about it, he’s never heard Jiyong take that tone with Seunghyun before, probably out of respect for him being the eldest.

Seunghyun still looks wounded from being rebuffed, but he tries again.  “But…we’ve swapped places.”  He looks wildly between Jiyong and Seungri, but Jiyong just stares at him, grumpy and tired, his face still a little swollen from sleep.

But then Jiyong looks over at Seungri in Seunghyun’s body, and his face softens.  “Can’t you save the pranks till after I wake up?  It’s funnier then,” he whines, but it’s not the bratty kind of whine he uses with Seungri.  It’s more…pouty.

“It’s not a prank,” Seunghyun insists, but Jiyong’s still looking over at Seungri.  Seungri, whom Jiyong thinks is Seunghyun.

Seungri doesn’t know why he says what he says next.  It’s just that this whole thing is way too bizarre, and suddenly every sci-fi movie he’s ever seen is flashing through his mind, and he can’t think of any sure way of getting anyone to believe them.  They’ll just think that the two of them are either really dedicated to their prank or just plain crazy.

No.  He and Seunghyun are on their own.

“Yeah,” Seungri says, trying to get used to this new voice.  “No more pranks while you’re tired.”

Seunghyun’s head whips up to look at him, and Seungri shrugs at him, helpless.

“Why don’t we let Jiyong-hyung get some more sleep?” Seungri says and immediately realizes his mistake.  “I mean Jiyong.  Why don’t we let Jiyong get more sleep?”  He widens his eyes at Seunghyun meaningfully and hooks his thumb over his shoulder toward the door.

Seunghyun awkwardly rises back to his feet.  He pauses for a moment like he’s about to argue, but then resignation settles over his shoulders, and he follows Seungri out of the room.

Once they’re out in the hall, door closed behind them, Seunghyun crowds into his space and hisses, “What the hell?  Why didn’t you back me up?”

Seungri stares in fascination as his own face contorts around Seunghyun’s frustration.  He answers, “Because he wouldn’t have believed us.  No one’s gonna believe us.  They’ll all think we’re crazy.”

“Then what are we supposed to do?  How did this even happen?”

“I don’t know,” Seungri hisses back.  “I don’t –”

Before Seungri can finish his sentence, he’s interrupted by Youngbae.  “Hey, you two.  You might want to take your turn in the shower before Jiyong wakes up.  We have to be at dance practice soon.”  Youngbae steps away right after that, heading to the kitchen for a quick breakfast.

“Maybe we should do what he says,” Seungri says.

Seunghyun looks at him in disbelief.  “Are you kidding me?  We have to fix this.”

“Yeah, but how?”

Seunghyun’s mouth closes shut.

“We can’t tell anyone because they’ll think we’re crazy, and we can’t exactly skip out on practice or Hyunsuk-hyung will have our heads.”

“So, what?” Seunghyun cuts him off.  “You just want us to pretend like nothing’s wrong?”

“Do you have a better idea?”  When Seunghyun doesn’t say anything one way or the other, Seungri presses on.  “Look, Hyung, I think the best thing for us to do is just to go along with it.  At least until we can figure out how to reverse it.  I don’t fancy winding up in a mental institution.”

Seunghyun looks like he wants to argue; there’s a brief tick in his jaw from where he clenches it, but he finally gives in.  “Fine.  We’ll play along for now.  But as soon as we get back home, we figure this out.”

“Yeah, sure.  Of course.”

Seunghyun nods his head once, as if they’ve just struck a deal, so Seungri nods too before he takes off toward the bathroom.  Seunghyun catches him by the arm.  “Where are you going?”  He looks from Seungri to the bathroom door, vaguely alarmed.

Seungri says the words slowly, like he’s talking to an idiot.  “To the bathroom.  To shower.  You heard Youngbae-hyung.”

“You can’t shower.  You’ll see me .  And you’ll have to touch me.  No way.”

Okay, so that is a little weird.  “Well, do you wanna wash each other?” Seungri suggests.

“What the is wrong with you?  No.  No showers.”

Seungri wrinkles his nose.  “But Hyung, your body smells.”

“It does not.”

“Yeah, it does.  We danced yesterday, and I know you were sweating ‘cause I saw you, and maybe you’re okay going days without washing, but I’m not.”

No.  You’re not seeing me .”

Seungri huffs.  Honestly, he doesn’t get what the big deal is.  They’re both guys.  “But what if I have to pee?  What do I do then?  Are you gonna come and hold your for me?”

Seunghyun looks like he wants to strangle him, and Seungri’s a little chagrinned to admit that it’s not nearly as intimidating as it would be if Seunghyun were wearing his own face.  “Fine.  But you make it quick.  And you don’t say about it to anyone.”

Seunghyun’s so weird about his body.  He must be hiding something strange.  Like a tail.  Or an embarrassing tattoo on his .

“Who would I tell?”  When Seunghyun’s glare intensifies, Seungri puts up placating hands.  “Okay, okay, I won’t tell anyone.  Promise.”  He doesn’t know what Seunghyun’s so worried about.  He can keep a secret.  Sort of.

Seunghyun doesn’t look very relieved at all, though.  His lips are still pursed together, but he finally strides away, leaving Seungri alone in the hall.  Seungri shakes his head at how difficult that all was before making his way into the bathroom.

The first thing he sees is his reflection.  Weird.  He leans over the bathroom counter to get a better look, turning his head from side to side and prodding at his new eyebrows experimentally.  It’s surreal, like he’s living in a dream, but the foreign body he’s in feels real and solid, and it obeys him as if it’s his own.

When he stands back up to his full height – and wow, it’s so cool to be tall – he starts pulling off his clothes, and yeah, he knows he said he’d be quick, and there was probably an implied promise about not looking more than he had to, but seriously, who can blame him for being curious?

Once he’s standing in the middle of the bathroom floor, he feels an irrational sense of irritation.  No tails, no tattoos.  Seunghyun was being stupid over nothing.  Seungri already knew this, but his hyung’s one beautiful guy.  Seungri doesn’t get why he’s so insecure.  Seunghyun’s body isn’t crazy defined like Youngbae’s, but it’s still nice, as far as bodies go.  He’s sleek and tan, and he’s got some nice pecs.

Seungri finally realizes that he’s been standing here for a while, checking himself out, and decides that he should probably hop in the shower before Seunghyun gets angry at him for taking so long. 

Once he’s under the spray, he quickly washes his hair, and then he starts scrubbing his body free of yesterday’s sweat.  He washes under his arms and over his stomach and then frowns when he gets a look at Seunghyun’s .  It looks a lot bigger than his.  Is this the normal size?  Or is Seunghyun big?  Or is Seungri just small?  Seungri doesn’t think he’s done growing, yet, so maybe his will get bigger.

Seungri pouts.  This is just one more way that Seunghyun has it better than him.  Better looks, bigger , more fans, more fan gifts

The epiphany hits him like a sack of rocks, like a sack of magical wishing rocks like the one he unwrapped from the box last night.  He did this.  He wished for it.  That little pebble actually made it happen.  As ridiculous as it is, that has to be the cause.  It’s too big of a coincidence otherwise. 

Seungri hurries and rinses the last of the suds from his body.  He needs to tell Seunghyun about this.  If the rock swapped them, then surely it can swap them back.  He just needs to make another wish.

He quickly dries himself off and wraps the towel around his waist before opening the door and coming face to face with Jiyong.

“Hey, Jiyong.”  He catches himself before he tacks on ‘hyung’.

Jiyong’s lips part as his eyes rove over his bare chest.  Seungri squirms under the intensity of Jiyong’s gaze.  Why is Jiyong looking at him like that?

Oh, right.  He’s not wearing a shirt.  Seunghyun never goes without wearing a shirt.  This is probably the first time Jiyong’s seen this.  No wonder he’s so surprised.

“I forgot my clothes,” Seungri says.

“Hmmm?” Jiyong says, dumbly, eyes trained somewhere around Seungri’s navel.

“My clothes,” Seungri repeats.  “I forgot them.

“Oh.”  Jiyong’s eyes snap back up to his face.  “Do you want me to go get them for you?”

Jiyong’s offer takes him by surprise.  He never offers to do things for Seungri.  Being the hyung is awesome.  “Yeah.  That would be nice.”

“Yeah, okay,” Jiyong says.  “I’ll be right back.”  His eyes flit down one last time to the jut of his hip before he backs up and shuts the door.

A few minutes later, there’s a soft knock before Jiyong opens the door back up.  He has a small pile of clothes in his arms.  “I didn’t know what you wanted,” he says, biting down on his lip and shrugging shyly.  “So I picked out something myself.”

“Uh, thanks.”  As Seungri takes the bundle from him, he sees Jiyong sneak another peek at his chest.  Wow, he knows seeing Seunghyun half- is a shock, but he thought the novelty would’ve worn off by now.

When Jiyong doesn’t immediately make to leave, Seungri gives him a questioning look.  “Um…okay?  Thanks for the clothes.  I guess I’ll change now.”  And then he waits for Jiyong to get the hint.

Jiyong’s brows raise in realization.  “Ahh, right.”  He ducks his head and lets out this little laugh, and then he smiles, soft and sweet.  “I’ll save you some breakfast.”  His hand lingers on the doorframe.

“Yeah, okay.”  Seungri’s eyebrows knit together as Jiyong backs away.  That was…different.  Seungri shrugs and shuts the door, chalks it up as a dongsaeng being cute with his hyung.  He’s just been the maknae for so long he’s forgotten what that’s like.

Once he’s dressed, he remembers his initial mission.  Get the rock.  Fix this mess.

His room is empty when he gets there so he makes a beeline for the box with the rock in it.  He dumps the pebble in his palm and closes his fist. 

I wish…

I wish…

But then he stops.

He opens his hand back up and peers down at the rock.  It wouldn’t be so bad, would it?  To let them stay like this a little bit longer?  He’s already getting more respect from Jiyong so that’s nice, and is it really so wrong for him to want this thing to last just a little while more?

Carefully, he puts the rock back in the box.  Just one day, he decides.  He’ll give himself just this one day before he switches them back.  Seunghyun will never have to know.

 

 

When they exit their dorm building, there’s a small group of girls waiting for them.  They all start squealing as soon as they see them.

“Oppa!” they shout, and Seungri grins when he realizes that they’re calling for him.  Well, not him him – they’re really after Seunghyun – but whatever, they’re all staring his way with hearts in their eyes, gushing about how handsome he is.  Seungri will take what he can get.

It’s amazing, all their attention.  Something within him blossoms like a flower seeking out the sun.  “Hey, ladies,” he says, flashing them what he hopes is a dashing smile; he’s not sure what his best angles are with this new face.  “You all look particularly lovely today.”  The words come out in Seunghyun’s rumbling voice, and the girls squeal even louder, ing photos and albums at him for him to sign.

He’s in the middle of trying to remember what Seunghyun’s autograph looks when Jiyong cuts in between them.  “Sorry, girls.  We’re in a hurry today.  Maybe next time.”  Then he pushes on Seungri’s hip and ushers him into the van.

Seungri pouts at the girls over his shoulder, even more dismayed when he sees that Youngbae is still taking his time signing autographs.  One of the biggest reasons he wanted to be in Seunghyun’s place was so he’d receive the extra attention from the fans.  What good is it if Jiyong’s just gonna him?

“Why did you have to rush me?” Seungri pouts.  “The one with the knee socks was really pretty.”

“I guess so,” Jiyong says, airily.  “If that’s what you’re into.”  He turns his head to look out the window and stays like that for the entire ride.

 

 

Seunghyun’s dancing is the one thing Seungri’s not jealous of.  When it comes to that, his hyung’s a train wreck.  It’s not that he’s clumsy.  He’s just super uncoordinated.  It’s like he just can’t get his body to follow the instructions his brain is giving it.

But now that Seungri’s behind the wheel…

Well, okay, it took a minute to acclimate to the longer limbs, and then there’s the part where Seunghyun’s body simply isn’t as practiced as his own, but after the first couple run-throughs, Seungri has Seunghyun’s body dancing like a pro.  Youngbae claps him on the shoulder, proud, and Daesung gives him a happy thumbs up.  Jiyong just smiles real wide and pats his hands together in a gentle clap.

And Seunghyun?  Well, Seunghyun looks annoyed as .  He’s bumbling about in Seungri’s body, trying to figure out how to get the moves to work for him.  It’s even more difficult for him with foreign limbs.  Watching him is the second most bizarre thing Seungri’s ever experienced, the first being this morning when he discovered the actual switch.  It’s like he’s having the most ed up out-of-body experience ever.

Seunghyun’s getting frustrated with himself, expression growing darker each time Jaewook scolds him for messing up, and Youngbae shakes his head and grins, wryly.  “So much for you beating me out as the group’s best dancer.”

Hey, Seungri thinks, pride swelling up.  He happens to be a great dancer.  It was his dancing that got him into this company in the first place.  But before Seungri can defend himself, Seunghyun mumbles, “I’m just having an off day.” 

Jiyong cuffs Seunghyun around the head in a gesture Seungri’s all too familiar with.  “You better pull it together,” Jiyong nags.  “We have a show to get ready for.”

Seunghyun bites down on whatever retort he wants to make and nods.  Seungri would laugh if he didn’t know Seunghyun was legitimately having a hard time; Seunghyun doesn’t seem to do as well with everyone’s criticism as Seungri does.

Finally, the routine clicks in Seunghyun’s head, and the consternation on Jaewook’s face dissipates.  Seungri’s mostly running on autopilot now, the dance more than drilled into his brain, except now that he doesn’t have to focus on the choreography, something new has gained his attention.  He feels agitated.  Or maybe jittery is a better word.  He can feel the beginning of a headache coming on so he closes his eyes in an attempt to will it away.  Damn.  Is it time for a break, yet?

They do the routine twice more before he gets that break.  While Youngbae and Daesung both head over to the corner to fetch their water bottles, Jiyong comes up beside him and brushes their arms together. 

“Wanna go outside?”  Jiyong holds up a pack of cigarettes and shakes it lightly so Seungri can see it.

“Oh, right.  I’m a smoker.”

Jiyong smiles at him like he’s slow.  “Yeah,” he says, drawing the word out.  “Last time I checked.”

Smoking’s not something Seungri’s ever been that interested in, but he’s supposed to be Seunghyun right now, and Seunghyun smokes like a freight train.  “Okay,” he agrees, and Jiyong turns to lead the way out.  He chances a last look over his shoulder and sees Seunghyun standing helplessly in the middle of the floor.

They go all the up to the roof.  Once they get there, Jiyong plops down on the ground with his back up against the wall beside the building’s entrance.  Seungri slides down beside him.  He watches as Jiyong places a cigarette between his lips and lights it, the glow on the tip of it flaring up as Jiyong inhales.

Then Jiyong’s gaze slides his way.  “Did you forget yours?”

“Um.”  He makes a show of patting himself down.  “Yeah, I guess so.”

Jiyong takes another drag before he shakes his head and grins.  “Here,” he says, holding out his pack.  “You can bum one off me.”

Seungri awkwardly takes one of the cigarettes Jiyong’s offering up.  Jiyong hands him his lighter next, and Seungri takes it.  Okay, then.  Here goes nothing.  He puts the cigarette between his lips and lights it, or well, he attempts to light it, but it takes him three tries before he can even get the damn lighter to work, and once he finally gets it lit, he in and then sputters, a great, hacking cough fighting its way out of him.

Jiyong raises one eyebrow at him.  “If I didn’t know better, I’d think you’d never smoked a cigarette before.”

Seungri tries to laugh it off.  Yeah, that could’ve been smoother.

He tries again, puffing gently this time, letting the smoke ease into his lungs before letting it out like Jiyong did, and it’s then that he feels the relief.  The agitation from earlier, the anxiousness, it all goes away.  He takes a moment to revel in it, and when he looks back over, Jiyong’s grinning his way.

“What?  No teasing?”  There’s a sparkle in Jiyong’s eye.

“Teasing?”

“About me smoking Lights?”

Seungri doesn’t know what the that means so he just shrugs.  Jiyong’s eyes crinkle further up, and he takes another drag.

They sit together like that for a while, alternately inhaling around their cigarettes.  Seungri watches as the paper blackens and burns, forming ash.  A surreptitious look toward Jiyong teaches him how to flick his ashes away.

He also notices that his cigarette isn’t the only thing growing smaller.  So is Jiyong’s smile.  Jiyong’s been staring intently at the horizon for a while now.  He finally asks, “Did you really think that girl was pretty?”  There’s an odd quality to his voice, but Seungri can’t quite distinguish its meaning.  Maybe Jiyong’s jealous?  Maybe he has a thing for that girl?

Seungri thinks he’s seen her waiting for them a couple of times, but he can’t remember Jiyong ever paying her any special attention.  But maybe Jiyong’s just shy.  “Why?  Do you like her or something?”

Jiyong snorts.  “No.”

“You can tell me if you do.  I know idols aren’t supposed to date, but I won’t tell.”

Jiyong gives him a funny look.  “She’s not exactly my type.  You know that.”

“Oh.”  Whatever that’s supposed to mean.

Jiyong takes one last drag before rising back up to his feet and flicking what’s left of the cigarette onto the ground, stubbing it out with his toe.  “Never mind.  Come on, we should head back.”

Seungri gets up and copies Jiyong’s motions, putting his cigarette out.  He follows Jiyong back to the practice room feeling like he’s somehow missed something.