Learning To Adjust

Taking A Chance

_______ stayed up until three in the morning researching cyborgs and their functions. It turns out they were initially created for different purposes depending on what the targeted audience wanted. Cyborgs with a realistic human nature have been on the rise in Japan and South Korea followed suit ten years later. It was the cure to the lonely Valentine's Day and Christmas celebration that soon evolved into the need for  NannyBots and SAbots for the elderly.

After an hour, __________ pulled herself away from her laptop and rotated the kinks out of her neck. She then shut it down and tucked the computer under her bed, a habit Shauna nagged her about. Flopping backwards, her thoughts wandered to "Hakyeon" in the spare guest room. After five more extcruiating hours of being forced to "celebrate-her-birthday-with-more-than-just-watching-tv",  Hakyeon began to yawn and slump down into her way too squishy couch. 

"Is he okay?" _______ asked unsure of what Hakyeon was doing.  "Is he....tired?" 

Natlia let the smirk on her face grow as she got up and stood next to her friend. 

"Let me show you something, ________.  Hakyeon, status report!" 

"Battery levels are at 10 percent. Four hours left of power..." he sighed with his head in his hands . 

"Could you not make me go into 'robot' mode? I am self efficient enough to restore energy on my own..."

 

__________ made a face into her pillow. Not only was he weird and extremely realistic, but he also had short cut commands.

And he was competent enough to dislike when people used them. What did she get herself into?

Her many thoughts of caring for a cyborg on a budget, her plethora of projects due in short amount of time at work, and the last few episodes of Games of Thrones soon overloaded her mind and she felt exhaustion take over. __________ fell asleep in a matter of minutes.

----------

"Good morning!  It is 7:45! You are scheduled for work at nine-thirty!"

__________ groaned and pulled the covers over her head. She wished she knew the short-cut command to get Hakyeon to disable his alarm function.

"Now, come on. That won't do."  He scolded. A quick tug and _________ felt a rush of cold air.  She yelped and sat upright, glaring at the cheeky bot who held her warm blanket. 

"You should get up so you can eat breakfast.  It is not good for you to go to work on an empty stomach." 

"I usually just grab a bagel from the cafeteria.  I'm fine Hay-...Huk-...Um...I still can't say your name. Sorry."  She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. Any other time she would have been mortified to have a stranger see her horrific bed head, but she couldn't find it in herself to care much.

"'Hahk-yone'." He pronounced it slow enough for her to understand. "Hakyeon. You'll get it soon enough. Just keep practicing!"

The smile he gave her brought back that undisguisable feeling that she got when her OTP finally became a couple.  She diverted her eyes to the almost overflowing hamper of dirty laundry. She'd have to get that done soon.  A yawn escaped and she leaned forward, mumbling the word "sleep" as she went for the blanket still hanging from the bot's hands.  Hakyeon put the item behind his back met her at eye level. _______ jerked back in mild shock. She didn't want him to see how gross she looked up close.

"Aniyo. Shower. Breakfast. Then, off to work!" he ordered.

The young woman sighed and pulled herself out of bed. She padded to her small bathroom mumbling "Can't believe I'm taking orders from a robot."

"Cyborg!"  Hakyeon yelled toward the door.  He shook his head and glanced around her room.  He eyed the dirty laundry basket with a look of disgust.

"Simhan! How could a respectable young woman keep disgusting habits!? Aish. I'll be doing laundry all day..."  He began collecting other articles of clothing that didn't make it to the basket,  "Ew" and "Aigo'ing"  the whole time.  Hakyeon dumped the clothing in the basket and carried it out to the small hallway. He stopped in front of the bathroom door and gave a small knock.

"___________! It's 8:15!  You'll have less than fifteen minutes to get dressed and even less time to eat and commute to work!" he called.

"I'm coming!" __________ snapped.  Hakyeon huffed and left.

Five minutes later, she hastily padded back into her bedroom and locked the door in case that stupid robot thing decided to barge in and tell her that it was now 8:25 and then proceed to rant about her not eating.  She was an adult! There was no need to eat a full breakfast.  Her days of taking unending school exams were over. 

Though it wouldn't hurt to actually not starve until her one o'clock lunch break. 

She shook the thought from her head and decided that she would continue to be irritated by the mere thought of Hakyeon.  

 

Her work wardrobe was always simple:  A pair of black slacks, a white button-down, and black ballet flats. She did nothing spectacular to her hair, only tying it back into a messy bun. She grabbed her glasses and shoulder bag then headed out the door.  _________ stopped by the kitchen to make herself a quick breakfast sandwich when Hakyeon was fussily packing food into two small containers.  He took them and put them neatly into her barely used lunch bag with napkins and a plastic fork on top.  After zipping the bag, Hakyeon looked up and glared. ____________ gulped and took a small step backward. What did she do this time?

"I hope you're happy," he began.  "Your breakfast went cold and you have no time to reheat it. Being the nice person that I am, I decided to pack it up for you so you can eat it at work."

The young woman started dumbly. "P-person?"

The bot scoffed and walked toward her handing her the lunchbag. "You know what I mean! Anyway! Along with your cold breakfast, I packed you dosirak so you don't have to buy lunch." 

"Y-you did what?"  Hakyeon simply rolled his eyes.

"Here. Take this and go on to work. It's 8:57. With traffic you'll barely make it on time."  He hurried her to the door and handed her the keys to her 2006 Nissan Altima.

_________ jiggled the keys a little.  "Um...alright. I'll see you around...six." He gave her that smile again. Now her stomach did flip flops.

"Have a good day at work!" He nearly gave her a bear hug. She froze for a few seconds before squirming out of his grip.

"T-thanks. Uh...bye."  She opened the door and gave a slight wave.  The smile that was on the bot's face grew a little wider.

"Bye! Don't be out too late."  The door closed and __________ felt herself trying to ignore the evil butterfiles that decided to swarm around in her stomach.

 


HALLO!

Bold is in Korean.  (It's probably wrong. I apologize.)

*Simhan! - Gross!

*Aniyo. - No...

dorsirak - bento box!