Final

Natural Affection

The hospital hallway seemed empty as the clock on the wall showed the time was 3 AM, only the dim light that brightened the place. Rustle of papers could be heard from the reception desk as only 3 nurses working in this hour shift in case of emergency. Seunghyun strolled the hallway while carrying his cup of espresso which partially is what he needed right  now after the so called battle.

 

He was completely worn out only wearing the same blue shirt like yesterday with the matching jeans jacket and clad in his dark denim. He felt his eyebag being heavy, his head pounded a bit and he still can’t freely move his right arm. But he just wiped out all these tired thoughts as he could not imagine what his wife would have been through.

 

He openend the room where she occupied, gently, as his sleeping beauty still resting after all the pain. The said woman was laying at the bed still with her eyes close as he wondered near her bedside, imagining how both of their life has changed since 5 hours ago. He touched her hand and give it a light tap then move to her face and press a kiss to her forehead. Realising that he too needed some rest, he take a moment to hold himself together then moved to the sofa.

Felt like it’s only a ten minutes sleep when he heard a soft whisper calling his name, slowly he opened his eyes and saw that his woman was staring at him, reaching out her fingers to him, Seunghyun stand up abruptly and coming closer to her ,” Hi Bom how are you feeling?”

She just smiled softly at him while taking and tangled his hand with her. He knew when she smiled at him like that, all the sacrifices that they made it’s all worthed.

 

“You’ve got enough sleep? Are you hungry? Sorry I don’t really know what to do.”  Seunghyun as clueless as he was, trying to attend his exhausted wife.

 

“Well do you have enough sleep? Relax Seunghyun I’m okay.” She just smiled while brushing his hand with her thumb.

 

He just exhaled a relief sigh and strand of her hairs, “ I just came back from his room,  he’s sound asleep and looks really tiny and really handsome if I may add.” Seunghyun just chuckled remembering his son’s face which in his point of view already have a distinct features than other babies in the room.

 

Bom just laughed a bit hearing what her husband said. How she already miss holding her little man again, “When will I can hold him again? I miss him already.”

 

“The nurse said that she will bring him here in the morning around 7 which means we have to wait for another four hours, why don’t  you go back to sleep?” Seunghyun said while softly rubbing his palm into hers.

 

“I can’t, I think the meds already lost its effect on me. I don’t feel really sleepy now, but you should get some sleep Seunghyun. You’ve been pulling all nighter since yesterday, I’ll be fine.” Bom knows her husband didn’t get much rest these past few days between always being alert to her labour due and stressing over his works.

 

She could see how drained he is, still it’s not lessen his handsome feature, not even a bit. Her husband might be in his 30s but she’s certained that he stopped aging at 23 which was when she saw him for the first time.

 

Seunghyun just smiled and peck her lips softly, she’s right, he was tired as hell but he just couldn’t bring himself back to sleep. Bom was watching the television but Seunghyun sure that her mind was also drifting somewhere, he attentively looking at her. Park Bom, well now she is Choi Bom technically. Her beauty and charm never failed to amaze him since the first time they met, it was 7 years ago and she still looks just the same as she was. He still wondering how they will go from here their life will surely be changing with one addition into the family. Will they be a good parents? There is no a guide book for that, Bom will be a wonderful mother he sure of that. In fact he sure of that already when they found out her pregnancy at the first time. But what about him?

 

He seated himself on the chair next to her hospital bed, “Bom, honey can I ask you something?”

“ Hmm sure?” Bow raised her eyebrows a bit sensing his changed of tone

“Do you think I will be a good father?”

 

Bom’s heart ached when she heard his question. How can he think like that? She never doubted him as a husband surely he will be doing great too as a father. His issue toward his own old man must be bugging him, but no, she believed that Seunghyun will not neglect on his family, everything that happened on his past wasn’t even his fault.

He is a complete opposite from his dad, Seunghyun is a man with who listened to his own heart too, eversince they begin dating she can feel how he always being the delicate man. Seunghyun is what you called the old fashioned man with some honorifics he still use with her just because of the age span, not being so touchy. He’s her dreamy gentleman. Park Bom’s property only.

 

"What makes you think like that? You know this is my first time being a mother too." Bom staring at her husband affectionally trying to understand the man she’s been spending her life with

Seunghyun shakes his head, "You'll be doing great Bom I just know it,our boy will be really grateful and proud having a mom like you."

"And you think he won't be proud of his own father?"

Seunghyun just kept silent hearing her question, she tried to sitting slowly because the sore and pain still there,she props herself up against the hospital bed. Then she reached Seunghyun's hand and it softly with both of her hands.

"Listen honey, do you regret marrying me?"


 

Seunghyun can only widened his eyes hearing that, "Of course not Bom, not even one second in my life I regret it. You of all people around  me should know the best, I am and will ever be love you and happy to be with you."

 

“Then you should love part of me too Seunghyun, and you too of all people know that he is your son. Your blood running in him, he is your heir.”

 

Seunghyun just sighed and planted his head down to the hospital bed, throwing both of his hands into the back of his head.

 

“ I don’t know what to do really, what if even I’m good to him that I will unintentionally hurt him in any ways possible. The least I hope that I don’t want him to see me as a monster.”

 

The memories he had with his own father suddenly flashed in his thoughts. At a young age he was being forced to understand why the man he always running into for comfort suddenly spat out harsh words towards him and leaving him abruptly. He faltered the situation as an denial from his own father to him, no there wasn’t any physical abuse but the moment his father left him with nothing, it making a hole inside himself that in the upcoming years he buried it trying not to left any traces. Trust always remained being his paranoia, only when he met Bom, the grow of fondness been able to repalce the hole. But then the times he learned that he will be a father, it felt like a jab into his heart, all the anxiousness and worries striking up into himself. He tried to kept it during Bom’s pregnancy, afraid that if he told her it will stressing her out and endangered both her and the unborn baby safety. And now that the situation coming right into his face, he just needed to let it out somehow.

 

“ Choi Seunghyun you dare to straining yourself from our son I swear I will kick you out from our house.” Bom knew that he’s not really mean it when he said it. It’s just a mere doubtful thoughts of him, but how come he looked so fragile even compare to their newborn son whose only 6  hours old. Seunghyun just stayed silent as he can feel the piercing gaze his wife gave him.

 

“Listen Seunghyun. Let’s be honest here, I’m scared out of hell when I found out that I’m with child, I know being married and all this will be a consequency but realising that I’m married to you and the baby that I carry will be our child, I find that this pregnancy is a blessing. I’ll never against the idea of having a little of ours around the house. We both new to this so let’s find out I guess? This just another journey for us and we will nail it perfectly like we always did before.” Bom said while letting her fingers sliding into his hair caressing it softly, giving him strength and understanding in a silent move.

 

Seunghyun looked up and giving her a full smile that showing his dimples that she’s always gushed about, “ I will try my best Bom I promise you that, but I do hope you will stay by my side, walk down this rough path to be a parent.”

 

“You’re really unbelieveable, give me the old strong cocky husband of mine back. You know you’re not any different from Jiyong right now. Weeping over sensitive things.” Bom scoffed remembering her dear friend’s antics

 

“Honeeey  how can you compare me to him seriously. That guy was all sassy.”  Seunghyun slightly pouted at his wife’s words

 

“ Then man up!  Come on Choi of all time you choose now to be all wimpy. I’m totally weak I can’t even move my feet, you’re the strongest out of three of us. Make yourself useful now.” Bom scolded him a bit and Seunghyun wondered wether she still has some pregnancy hormones left. He just laugh then proceed to hugging her, to have her in his arms again completely.

 

“ I’m sorry okay.” He kissed her forehead and her hair softly, “ I’ve been so worked up over that thought especially these past few days. I’ll try to shrug it off. I love you and thanks for bringing our handsome boy into the world. I promise I’ll be good okay.”

 

“ I love you too”, Bom mumbled the words while shoving her face to Seunghyun’s chest.

 

They stayed like that for a while until finallly Seunghyun spoke out, “ Ehm Bom,  honey, you mind if I crashing in for a bit? I can’t even stand properly right now and my head actually did feel a bit heavy.”

 

“ Yah! go sleep then, I told you before to get some sleep. Do you want to sleep on the bed?” Bom started shift a bit to give him some space

 

“Nah I’m good. I’m just gonna crash into the sofa, I’ll crush you if I sleep there.”

 

“Oh for crying out loud just jump in Choi, you’re gonna have some cramps if you sleep at the sofa.” She started pulling his shirt made him get into the bed

 

“Bom really I’m good, you need more rest than I do. Let me sleep at the sofa.”

 

“ Are we really gonna argue about this at 4 freaking AM,  just hours after I gave birth? “ Bom giving him a death glare and he knows better than anything to just complied to her request

 

He sighed, signing his wife’s winning over the battle, “ Fine then don’t scream if I hurt you. You get what you want.”

 

“ It’s okay I just have to kick you harder then.”

 

“Well well I think i start to understand our parenting concept.” Said Seunghyun while laying down, propping himself gently next to her.

 

“ And how is that?” She asked curiously. Her head leaning to her husband’s shoulder searching for comfiness

 

“ You responsible to teach him the physical violent things to defend himself while I’m the affectionate one showering him with love.” Seunghyun just laughed away with his statement

 

And that earned him a harsh kick on his leg from her

 


 

A few hours later Seunghyun slowly woke up, he heard tiny noises near him. As he opened his eyes still feeling the exhaustion that persistently stayed in his body. He felt a soft hand his forehead softly, Seunghyun recognised it rightaway that delicate hand must belong to his dear love wife.

“ Seunghyun wake up, look who’s here! He comes to visit us.”

 

He straightened up and peeking from Bom’s shoulder and there he is. His tiny son was enjoying his mother warmness as Bom embraced the baby in her arms. The baby was staring at his parents as if he tried to remember the faces that he saw the first time he brought into the world. Seunghyun was just so mesmerized while staring back at his son, he wondered how come the tiny creature could steal his heart fully when he probably doesn’t even recognise him as his father yet.

 

“Good morning baby, I hope you have a good sleep.” He said, leaning to kiss the baby stomach. He turned to Bom and gave her a soft peck on her lips

 

“We really should name him immidiately. What do you have in mind?”

 

Gently, Bom brushed her son soft hair, “ Start with ‘Seung’ ? I think it’s nice. He inherit your name just as long as he won’t inherit your antiques.”

 

Seunghyun only rolled his eyes hearing his wife, as if she is any better, “ Well you choose this weirdo anyway. Hmm Seung...Gi?”

 

“ No, the actor? No no. What about Seunghoon?” Bom grimaced a bit knowing how her husband would react.

 

“God have mercy on me. Bom how many times have we talked about this? We won’t name our baby after your idol!”

 

“ Hey he’s a good guy and kinda cute you know.” Bom mumbled the last words but he still caught it

 

“ I’m a good guy and I’m cute.” Seunghyun grumbled out of frustration of how many times she tried to name their son after the flower boy from her favorite boyband.

“Okay Seunghoon is a no. Fine.”

 

There was only soft whine from the baby surrounding them for a while. Both of them staring at their son in Bom’s arms who’s now squirming a bit in her embrace and tilting his little head slowly.

 

All of sudden something popped into Seunghyun’s mind, “ Hey what’s the name of the boy that you taught? The one who come to our house every Sunday for piano lesson?”

 

“Ah you mean Joohee? Why suddenly?” Bom remembered her bright student who lives just next door. His mother, Dara, is a close friend of her’s, hence she asked Bom to taught his son a piano lesson.

 

“Nothing just a sudden thought. I met him once and he’s really a bright kid and his smile just really cute.” Truth to be told Seunghyun actually quite fond of children and when he found out he will have one by himself, the ectastic feeling fueled him up shielding him from all the worries. But somehow he’s pretty mixed up about it.

“Joohee is the best student I have. He’s really a smart kid.” 

 

Seunghyun contemplated for a moment,trying to figuring out other suited name for his baby boy, before he blurted out, “ Hmm Seung....Joo? How about that?”

 

“SeungJoo. I like it, Choi SeungJoo.” As if recognising his name immidiately the newborn suddenly giving his parents a small smile then opening his small mouth.

 

“Alright then. Welcome to our family Choi SeungJoo.” Seunghyun trailing his finger to his son’s face. He doesn’t know what kind of person Seungjoo will become and he hasn’t put some expectations for his son yet. But for sure he will not letting the history of his dad begin again, first step of all he will try to teach his son the outmost thing, to be gentle and careful.

 

 

Author's note:

First fic for 2015 (and hopefully more to come), this is just a short piece which I present to you as a side story of my other story Autumn Rain. I hope Seunghyun's anxiety and Bommie's kindness  can entertain you for a bit . Huge thanks for the comment, upvote, and subscribes!!