Dear Youngjae

You've Got Mail

Dear Youngjae,

This might be super corny (okay it’s definitely more than corny right now) but if you’re reading this letter right now then that means I’m dead. Dead as in I’m no longer alive. I’m no longer among the living. Okay now this letter is getting plain creepy and that’s not my intention. The first thing going through your mind right now as you read this is probably, what the hell was this guy smoking? To answer that question I will simply say that I’m not currently smoking anything, but I am downing this lovely bottle of alcohol while I write this because God knows I’ll need it by the time I’m through with this massively long letter. Alcohol makes me do crazy things Youngjae, but just remember, a drunk never lies. Your next question is probably why I bothered to write you a letter in the first place when people don’t even write letters anymore.

Have you ever watched that movie called You’ve Got Mail? It’s an older movie but I find myself relating to it quite a bit. I mean the movie itself is so poetic and the storyline is pure brilliance. It’s not the classic boy meets girl and they fall in love kind of thing which is what I like. No it’s nothing like that. It’s more of a man and woman meet in a chatroom and constantly e-mail each other about their daily lives even though they have never met before, but they somehow end up falling in love anyways. This movie had me thinking very deeply.

Can you be in love with someone you’ve never met before? I want to believe that it’s possible. Part of me has to believe that it’s possible. Do you think it’s possible, Youngjae?

Another thing that stood out to me in this movie was how the lead female held a grudge against the lead male. I mean those two constantly bickered at one another and it got me thinking about us. You and I are similar to them in a way.

We would always bicker at each other during school and then constantly avoid each other outside of school. Why would we do that, Youngjae? Why did we always bicker so much? Why could we never agree on anything?

I remember us playing dodge ball in gym class one day and I threw the ball at you and hit you square in the face breaking your glasses in the process. You just stared at me with eyes full of hatred and didn’t say a word to anybody as you carefully picked up your broken glasses from the floor and headed to the nurses office. I never got a chance to apologize to you about that and I’m sorry I did. The plus side is you showed up to school that following Monday wearing contacts instead of glasses.

I think when I saw you without glasses that’s when I realized just how beautiful you actually were. Seeing everyone in class drool over you just made me want to grab you and haul you out of that room as fast as I could. I wish I had the courage to drag you out of that room and away from everyone’s lustful eyes.

Yoo Youngjae is a person and not a piece of meat. Do not drool over him because I will find you and kick your .

Do you still remember the first time we met?

I will never forget that day.

We were in middle school at the time and you came into class late because your schedule had been changed at the last minute. You pushed opened the door and suddenly all eyes were on you and a faint blush rose up on your chubby cheeks as you glanced around the room holding your books over the lower half of your face. I remember the teacher asking you to introduce yourself to the class and when you did you were so nervous that you spoke in a whisper and someone else has to introduce you instead.

I remember your eyes locking with mine as you made your way to your seat nearly tripping over someone’s desk in the process. My heart began to beat rapidly in my chest and it was a very foreign feeling to me. For the rest of the class I didn’t even bother to take my eyes off you or listen to what the teacher said.

I’m sorry for how I treated you in high school. You didn’t deserve the hell I always put you through. There are not enough apologies in the world to make up for what I did to you.

I’m sorry for spitting gum in your hair freshman year. I’m sorry for ruining your expensive suit sophomore year. I’m sorry for locking you in the janitor’s closet overnight junior year but most of all, I’m sorry for telling the entire school that you were gay our senior year.

Looking back on how horrible I was to you, you never once told me that you hate me. Why was that? I think I already know the answer to my question, but I want you to say it to me one day if you get the chance.

This brings me back to why I’m writing you this letter in my drunken state. I’ve made up my mind once and for all and now I want the whole world to know it. I know it won’t make up for the horrible things I did to you, but I hope it’s a good start.

Yoo Youngjae, I am absolutely, hopelessly, and madly in love with you.

I just hope that one day I would have gotten the chance to say it to you in person.

There are so many things that I want to say to you but I have to go now because my friend just vomited in a girl’s purse, and I do not want to witness that fight go down.

I hope you live a life full of happiness, and I hope we will meet again soon.

Forever yours,

Daehyun

 

 

 

Youngjae sat on the hardwood floor reading the letter over and over again in his head making sure he didn’t miss any hidden message. He held the slightly faded letter up into the light before he brought it back down as he heard footsteps heading towards him.

His face lit up as he stared at the tanned black haired male in front of him.

“Hey Jae. Whatcha reading there?” The black haired male asked in his thick Busan accent.

“Just your letter you wrote to me several years ago. The one where you confessed to me.” Youngjae smirked as he folded the letter and carefully placed it back in its envelope.

“Hey! That letter was supposed to be read years from now after I’m dead and gone. It’s so you don’t forget about me when you get all old and wrinkly.” Daehyun whined as he crossed his arms and pouted like a child earning a quiet chuckle from Youngjae.

“I couldn’t forget you even if I wanted to, Dae. Even if you’re long gone I could never forget you. I could never replace you because you’re irreplaceable. I’ll still love you even when you get all old and wrinkly.” Youngjae stated as he stood up and placed the letter back in its hiding place.

“What if your mind starts to slip and you start to forget who I am? Then what?” Daehyun questioned in a soft voice.

“Then I’ll have you there to remind me all the time. If you can no longer be there with me then I’ll at least have my memories of you to keep me company. Memories can last a lifetime and I want to spend every-day making more memories with you.” Youngjae replied softly earning a cheesy grin from Daehyun.

Daehyun didn’t say another word as he pulled Youngjae into his loving embrace and wrapped him arms tightly around the younger as if he would disappear at any second.

The two lovers pulled away and Daehyun smiled at the younger before simply asking, “so where’s your letter to me at?”

“I don’t have one.” Youngjae chuckled.

“What do you mean you don’t have one? Everyone has something special they make or get for their loved ones.” Daehyun stated in disbelief.

“What can I say? I guess I’m just not the writing type.” Youngjae shrugged as the faintest smirk crossed his face.

“You are a bad liar. You know that?” Daehyun chuckled as he rolled his eyes at the younger.

“So I’ve been told but you’ll just have to look for my letter on your own.” Youngjae mumbled as he began to slowly walk out of the room.

Quiet whines and lots of protests from Daehyun could be heard along with the words “not fair” being thrown around many times.

One day Daehyun would find Youngjae’s letter to him.

One day soon….


A/N: I came up with this quick little story last night as soon as I came home from work, and I had to share it with all of you. I'll be posting Youngjae's letter to Daehyun here very soon. I hope you all will enjoy this. Thank you all so very much for the support you have given me. It does not go unnoticed. Thank you. ^_^