I am not a Sasaeng

I am not a Sasaeng

 

“Okay, it’s just a call. It’s just a simple call, maybe nobody’s going to pick up anyway,” Sehun held his phone tightly in his palms; his thumb was trembling while he hesitated whether or not to click dial.

 

The first second when he heard the dialing tone, he hung up immediately. His heart was pounding hard against his chest; he was scared because it was his first time calling a celebrity. That might not be the celebrity’s number; maybe it was just the company’s or someone else’s.

 

Sehun knew this was not the right thing to do, he was aware that this would annoy his favorite celebrity; or worse, the celebrity might even hate him. If he made the call, he would be labeled as a “sasaeng-fan”, and he obviously didn’t want that to happen. Still, Sehun wanted no regrets so he carried on the second attempt.

 

Two rings into the dial, someone did pick up.

 

“Hello, this is Luhan.” Sehun’s heart raced so quickly as he tried really hard to think of a way to respond.

“Hello-”

The person hung up right after Sehun greeted hello. It was expected that he would hang up, though, Sehun was not at all disappointed because he could not believe the person who picked up his call was indeed his favorite celebrity – Luhan. Even though the call only lasted for five seconds, Sehun had no regrets. He was partially worried that he had officially become a nuisance; and partially thrilled that he heard Luhan’s voice in private. He hated himself for being extremely tempted to call again, however, he did stop himself from doing so because it would then be a serious invasion of privacy.

 

Sehun kept thinking about the voice on the phone just now, if it was really Luhan.

“He did say he’s Luhan right? I’m pretty sure it was him… He even said he’s Luhan, so it must be him!”

 

Not sure if Sehun was being nice and thoughtful, or he only wanted Luhan’s number to himself, he then texted Luhan about how he found the celebrity’s contact.

 

“Hi Luhan, I’m sorry that I’ve annoyed you by calling you just now. But I am here to tell you that I found your number on your official Kakaotalk profile, I don’t know why it was there, but you should be careful next time. Again, I apologize for calling.”

 

Luhan on the other hand was flustered as he just changed his number an hour ago, he couldn’t believe that sasaeng fans obtained his new number in a ridiculously short amount of time. His phone then received a text from the same number that called him just now, initially he wanted to ignore and delete that text message, but something made him a little too curious about that number. He checked the message and he was terrified that he made a huge mistake on Kakaotalk because of his carelessness. He removed his contact from his Kakaotalk profile in a flash because he didn’t want anyone to call him again. Maybe, that person wasn’t a sasaeng after all, Luhan thought.

He made up his mind to reply that stranger’s text.

“Hello, thank you for the reminder.”

 

Sehun couldn’t even brain the reply he got, it was beyond his expectations and he was literally hyperventilating.

“OH MY GOD. OH MY ING GOD. DID LUHAN JUST REPLY MY TEXT. DID HE. I CAN’T EVEN BREATHE RIGHT NOW.”

He was screaming his lungs out in his room that his father yelled at him from the living room. He tried cupping his mouth with his sweaty palms to stop himself from screaming, tears of joy came streaming down his steaming cheeks.

 

Trying to calm himself down, Sehun wanted to plot a way to reply so badly. This time however, he failed at hiding his desperateness.

“Oh my god you replied me! Luhan, I love you VETY KUCH. Please remember me! I’m Sehn from Seoul, YOUR BUGGEST FAN EVER.”

 

Luhan chuckled upon reading the message this “Sehn” sent him. What a way to make Luhan remember him, a completely common fan message with adorable typos. It was 12:30 a.m. and Luhan had a few drinks that night with his fellow labelmates, now he’s alone in his apartment with nothing to do. Thus he thought it would be a fun idea to entertain his “buggest” fan ever; ironically Sehun did somehow bugged Luhan.

 

“Hi Sehn ;)”

 

Sehun couldn’t even comprehend his emotions at that very moment, but why did Luhan called him Sehn, though. Sehun thought it might just be a typo, so he shook it off and proceeded in plotting another reply.

 

“Can we please meet up someday? When are you having a fan-meeting in Seoul? I can’t wait to see you!”

 

“We can meet up right now. I’m currently in Seoul, and I’ll be in Jeju tomorrow. Let’s meet at HanGang, have a drink or something.”

Maybe Luhan had always had a thing for fanboys, because at least most fanboys would not fantasize themselves having with him. Moreover, fanboys are much calmer than fangirls, they would not scream in his face and become a contributing factor to his deafness. He also wanted another shot of liquor, as the previous session wasn’t satisfying enough, so he guessed it wouldn’t hurt to invite a fanboy for a drink. It wouldn’t be suspicious as well even if they were spotted since he could say that “Sehn” was his friend.

 

For a second, Sehun thought someone pranked him by impersonating Luhan, but then, it couldn’t hurt to check it out.

“See you there,” Sehun typed it and immediately prepared himself for the meeting. His father yelled at him when Sehun was about to head out, but Sehun knew it was alright because he was capable of taking care of himself. He rushed out of his home and went to HanGang on his motorcycle.

 

“Meet me at the place I was at a week ago, if you’re my fan, you should know ;)”

 

Luhan thought this might be a nice idea to test Sehun, if Sehun knew where the venue was, this fan would be worth meeting. He bought half a dozen of beer while he was on the way, unsure of what drinks he should get. What if “Sehn” was a minor? But he said he was on the way, and it was already late, so Sehun should be able to drink.

 

Luhan arrived at HanGang first, so he settled down at a bench and the night breeze brought him into a stream of thoughts.

 

He didn’t even know why he would do this, inviting a fan for a drink out of a blue. Ten years into showbiz and fame, he thought his fame would correlate with his interpersonal relationship; it seemed like the exponential rise in his fame didn’t bring him better friends. Friends he had in the past had betrayed him or just too busy to keep in contact, he had never felt this lonely before. He was often seen with his labelmates at company dinners, little did other people know, that he only showed up for entertainment purposes. He didn’t want people to misunderstand him as being rude if he didn’t show up; everything he did for the past several years was just a show. Deep down in his heart, he really wanted a true friend who would accept him as who he was; and not for his fame and wealth. People used Luhan a little too much because he wasn’t strong enough to stand up for himself, and he was the kind of person who at rejecting. Now, he thought it might be a good start of something new, or something he couldn’t even expect of.

 

While Luhan was lost in thought, Sehun found him staring at the dark water. To his disbelief, his favorite celebrity was right before his eyes; it felt rather surreal that the person he had been seeing on television and the Internet actually asked him out. He set his eyes on the man, as though he had known him for a long time, when it was only his first time seeing him in person. Luhan was really attractive even in his casual clothing, and his hair hidden under a cap. Sehun kind of panicked when Luhan noticed that he was staring holes into him.

 

“Hi,” Luhan raised his hand and waved a little. “So, you want a beer?”

It was awfully awkward for the both of them, but a little alcohol should do the trick. Sehun took the beer handed to him and had a sip of it; he didn’t know what he should say as he didn’t want to sound like a desperate creep. He wanted to tell Luhan how much of a big fan he was, and how nervous he felt at that very moment; but words were stuck on the edge of his throat. Moving slowly and politely, Sehun sat on the empty side of the bench.

 

“Why do you like me?” Luhan decided to start the conversation as the awkward silence were taking over the atmosphere. Sehun startled upon the question, he sure did not expect that coming from Luhan.

“I was lonely,” Sehun could have used better reasons, but it was his favorite person sitting before him, he wanted to tell the truth instead. “Friends bullied me, because I was weird.”

 

Sehun was weird, according to the people who teased and bullied him, just because he was interested in a male celebrity and had gotten quite obsessed with him for some time. Society decided that Sehun was weird, as he was a fan of someone of the same gender, a rather big fan, actually. Since then, Sehun kept it as a secret from his new friends in college, but people then called him mysterious and secretive. His life basically revolved around food, homework, house chores, League of Legends and Luhan. He had nothing else to talk about, and was uninterested in the topics his friends often discussed.

 

He didn’t like how judgmental people got when he said he liked Luhan, and then they would mock Luhan’s feminine features to hurt Sehun, or even tried to convince Sehun to “be normal” by cutting the Luhan nonsense. “Gay”, “weird”, “homo”, “loser”… The list went on, of all the names Sehun got called. He was pretty sure that he wasn’t a gay boy, however he had never met any girls that moved his heart. There were girls he liked but only as friends, and none of them was even close to how Luhan’s voice sooth his aching scars. Heck, even girls thought he was gay because of a celebrity crush.

 

“Since when that you became my fan?” Luhan felt odd by asking these questions, usually the ones who blabber the out of his ears were his fans, and this one was rather unique.

 

“About five years ago, I guess,” this time he lied, when he actually fell for the star approximately 10 years ago, when he stumbled upon his first music video on the television. He really didn’t want to sound like a creep, because he didn’t know if Luhan was a homophobe or not. People judge all the time.

 

Luhan thought Sehun was a decent fan, five years was okay. But then the thought of Sehun calling him hit him in the head again; he decided to throw the question.

“Were you stalking me?”

 

“No, I- Okay, I’m really trying my best to not sound creepy and stuff. I am not what you’re thinking.”

 

Luhan cocked his eyebrow and asked another one, as things had gotten quite interesting there.

“What do you think that I’m thinking?”

 

“I am not, I repeat, I’m not a sasaeng fan,” Sehun paused and waited for a response; but it seemed like Luhan was waiting for his explanation instead.

“This is my first time seeing you in person, hy- hyung,” he hesitated whether or not to call Luhan as “hyung” because they were obviously not close friends or whatsoever; he just didn’t want to sound rude. The pair of huge eyes was staring back at him, still, expecting for more elaboration.

“What else do you want me to say, hyung? How shall I prove to you that I am your real, absolutely normal fan?” Sehun got a little scared after he raised his voice because he didn’t want to scare Luhan away.

 

“You’re cute,” Luhan smiled as he laid his sight on the nervous boy. He knew Sehun wasn’t a sasaeng fan the moment he wanted to prove himself. Sasaeng fans tend to give out a certain kind of vibe and they were way scarier than this, anyway.

Sehun was flustered upon the response given by Luhan.

“You’re the first fanboy to call me hyung. And you’re the first fanboy I meet in private as well. So don’t spread it out, okay? If I see stuffs about this event on Twitter or any SNS, you’re dead.”

 

Sehun apologized immediately and promised that he would keep things to himself. Of course he wouldn’t let Luhan know that he had a fan account on Twitter with ten thousands of fangirl-followers; and he wouldn’t want to get skinned alive by fangirls if he happened to tweet about it. Every fan wanted to be selfish, and it’s perfectly alright. He smiled to himself and gulped some beer.

 

The night wasn’t lonely for both of them, chatting away with laughter and alcoholic breaths. They clicked pretty well, and Luhan thought this might be it.

They went home at 3 a.m., then texted each other if they reached home safely.

 

“It was nice meeting you, Sehn.”

 

Sehun got quite annoyed because of the weird typo Luhan kept using.

“Why’d you call me Sehn?”

 

Luhan got confused and he couldn’t believe how dumb “Sehn” was for not knowing his own name.

“You told me you’re Sehn. Now you’re asking me why?”

 

Sehun checked their conversation history and he was embarrassed to death. He quickly replied Luhan telling him his name without mistakes, and then he went to bed wanting to tear his face off.

 

“I will miss you.”

 

Sehun was fast asleep, without checking the new message. He probably had the best dream in his life that night. Waking up at 5 a.m. because the alcohol took effect on his bladder, Sehun checked his phone after he had his business done. He sat on his bed while staring at the glowing screen, making him squint his eyes; unsure of the message he received, he was rather confused.

 

“I will miss you too, hyung.”

 

It only took a minute for a reply, Sehun was surprised that Luhan wasn’t even sleeping. The older male wished to see Sehun after his trip to Jeju, and thanked him for making his day. Sehun shut his eyes for a few seconds and his computer.

 

The next morning, Luhan struggled through the crowd of fans who were sending him off to Jeju, while on his mind he really wanted to sleep on the plane since he didn’t get a shuteye the night before. 

He found his seat according to his ticket and settled down, ready to knock out any second.

 

 

“Hyung.”

The voice sounded familiar yet foreign. Luhan opened his eyes and Sehun was staring at himself, giving him a heart attack. How the heck did he get here anyway? Sehun was beaming because he made it even with the last minute ticketing, leaving Luhan in disbelief.

 

 

“Are you sure you’re not a…sasaeng?”

 

“… I am, from now on, your favorite sasaeng.” Sehun smiled into his nap while his hand being held by the brightest star in his life.