On The Rocks

Rotten Apple
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s funny.

What am I doing here?

I don’t want to go home.

I’m still mad at him.

He shouldn’t have done that when he knew the newbies were coming!

That’s just setting a really bad example for them. They might think that their chief is just a pushover.

And I’m not a pushover.

Stupid Hyukjae. I hate you.

Why did you go and do that to me? I hate you I hate you I hate you.

Why am I even engaged to a clown in the first place?

You stink. Stinky Hyukjae.

I don’t want to go home. I don’t want to confront you.

I have my pride. I’m not swallowing it just for the sake of you.

Who do you think you are? Stupid Hyukjae!

I miss you.

But I’ve had enough of your pranks. I still hate you.

I miss you so much.

I don’t want to go home. Because you’re a jerk and I hate you.

I don’t want to cry in front of you. I’m not a weakling.

I miss you.

I don’t hate you but you just make me so mad.

I’m a tough guy. I’ve been without you for seven years and I’m still standing strong. I’ll be the last man standing if I need be. Who needs you anyway? Independence is my middle name. Flying solo is what I’m best at.

I’m… fine.

Perfect.

I’m not perfect.

I miss you.

I hate you.

I’m sorry.

 

“What are you doing here so far away from home?”

Donghae jostled from his thoughts, a frown quickly forming on his face when he recognized the voice behind him. “Go away, Sungmin.”

Sungmin smiled and ignored the warning. Instead, he walked right up and sat down on the bench next to the chief inspector, watching the swans feeding near the riverbank. The golden rays at sunset was a breathtaking view, and Donghae half-wished that he could enjoy this view together with somebody close and intimate to him.

“Which part of ‘go away’ do you not understand, hyung?” Donghae growled, crossing his arms over his chest. “I want to think alone and you’re distracting my thoughts.”

“Thoughts about what? Your fiancé?”

The elder knew he hit the nail right on the head when Donghae kept quiet and sank lower on the bench with a small grunt. “Don’t even mention him. I’m still mad at him.”

Chuckling, Sungmin stood up and took out a small packet of crumbs from his pocket, taking a few steps towards the river to feed the swans. “You know, I used to come here all the time when Kyu and I fought, too. It’s very relaxing and helps me calm down after a while.” He looked back at Donghae with a gentle smile. “Want to feed the swans with me?”

Donghae shook his head. “Leave me alone, please. I’m not in the mood for chit-chatting.”

“But you’re in the mood for doubting your fiancé and second-guessing your engagement.”

“I am not!!” Donghae roared, scaring the swans away on the lake. As the swans scattered away leaving behind huge ripples that eventually turned into waves lapping at the bank, Donghae huffed and stood up to leave. “If you’re not going to leave, fine! I’ll leave then. See you tomorrow at the station.”

“Go home to Hyukjae.”

Donghae stopped in his tracks. “No.”

“Hyukjae misses you.”

“Then let him miss me. I never missed him anyway.”

Sungmin began to lose his temper. “Lee Donghae, don’t make me throw you into the water to knock some sense into your thick head. Go home and talk to Hyukjae. He’s waiting for you.”

“He doesn’t want to see me.” Donghae hardened his eyes when he felt a tear trickling down his cheek. “And I don’t want to see him either. I hate him.”

“He loves you.”

“He embarrassed me.”

“You have no proof that he did it.”

“No one else has a sick sense of humour like he does. Trust me. I’ve known him since forever.”

Sungmin shook his head. “You don’t know for sure. Talk to him. Ask him personally. And most importantly, believe in him. If he says he didn’t do it, then he definitely didn’t do it. And… one more thing.”

“What?”

“I’m sorry – and I apologize – for overreacting – over Henry. I’ll try to control myself better in the future. Kyuhyun too.”

Donghae laughed dryly before walking off.

“You have no idea how much I want to strangle him now.”

 

* * *

 

“Hyuk?”

Donghae finally stepped into the apartment a little after midnight, his stomach growling loudly in the eerie darkness because the soggy, overcooked instant ramen he simply grabbed off the shelf in a convenience store wasn’t enough to satisfy his pangs of hunger. He shut the door quietly and didn’t bother switching on the lights as he trod towards the bedroom, half-expecting Hyukjae to be asleep, but he wasn’t too surprised either when he saw that Hyukjae was still sitting on the bed leaning against the headboard, the soft lamp illuminating his silhouette and casting a faint shadow on the walls.

“Welcome home,” the elder said softly, his voice gentle but piercing through Donghae’s head like a sword.

“Shut up.”

Hyukjae bit his lip and watched his fiancé strip down to his boxer briefs, wrap a towe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter