Lover's Spat

Rotten Apple
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What did you say to her to scare her like that?” Hyukjae asked, once they were back in the confines of Donghae’s private office. Naeun couldn’t continue with the interrogation, and she was half-carried, half-escorted out by a female officer to her cell, along with the jail doctor, who assured them that she just had had a deep shock and would come to after a few days of rest.

Donghae frowned as his fiancé carefully massaged his aching temples, hoping to ease the pain. “She was still in the midst of crying after finding out Taemin was killed, when she suddenly fainted. That’s all.”

Hyukjae rubbed his chin in deep thought, frowning hard. He’d just thought of something.

“Too much grief, perhaps,” the chief added, seeing that Hyukjae was being so silent. “It’s a lot to take in, for a seventeen year-old girl.”

The officer had other ideas, but he didn’t want to share them with Donghae just yet. It certainly was fishy that she fainted just as soon as she saw Heechul coming into the room. He could remember the look of sheer horror on her face before she passed out. Kim Heechul was just getting more and more suspicious by the minute.

 

* * *

 

For the next few days, Hyukjae was busy stalking the loud, obnoxious officer. There were too many scattered clues and he just couldn’t sort it out. He knew for sure that Heechul was shady and suspicious, judging by the way he reacted each time his phone vibrated on the table. Heechul would always glance around his surroundings, making sure that nobody was watching, before he even opened the messages. Also, Heechul kept disappearing at random times in the day, and nobody would know where he went, not even Amber, who was usually sticking her nose into everybody’s business, except Heechul’s.

Also, Hyukjae discovered that Heechul was conveniently left-handed, just as he suspected. Up till now, whenever the killer made a strike, he always left behind his signature – the left-handedness of the entire set-up. Nearly all the victims were shot on the left side of their bodies, and their car had also been tampered with from the left side. Hyukjae thought that it couldn’t possibly be a mere coincidence for all of them. All he had to do now was to keep stalking the rude officer until he found answers to his questions.

Hyukjae watched as Heechul slipped out of the station during lunch. Quietly, he got on his feet and quickly followed the other out onto the busy streets, making sure not to lose him again. Heechul had managed to give him the slip two days in a row, and Hyukjae was determined not to lose him again today.

Except for the fact that Heechul disappeared again almost immediately after he turned a corner.

Hyukjae kicked at the ground in frustration and let out a yell. This was getting frustrating. He wasn’t getting anywhere, and yet he was still so sure that Heechul was hiding something. He was guilty.

Guilty of the murders, of course. He thought. And also the attempted murders of Lee Donghae and Lee Hyukjae.

 

* * *

 

“Where are you going, Ryeowook?”

Ryeowook grinned and waved at Hyukjae. “Hey! I was just about to go grab some lunch. Do you want a lobster frittata sub today?”

“You’re going to the deli again?” Hyukjae asked, swivelling his chair around to face the younger officer. “I think I’ll come along. I feel like trying their new teriyaki chicken sub.”

“Sure.”

Hyukjae wasn’t sure if he detected a slight hint of annoyance on the newbie’s face, but shrugged it off, thinking perhaps it was due to his hunger. Or, maybe it was because Donghae had told off the younger officer earlier for planting a chalkboard eraser on top of the door that left a huge white imprint on Henry’s black shirt when it fell on him.

They both left the station and decided to walk to the deli, since it was a bright sunny day, and Hyukjae thought the little stroll would at least help him clear his head for a bit.

“How’s the case going, hyung?” Ryeowook asked, breaking the comfortable silence as they walked. “I hope the girl is recovering soon.”

Hyukjae nodded. “She’s fine. I don’t think the interrogation is going to continue yet though, since the docs said she’s still quite unstable and won’t have enough control over herself during questioning.”

“Isn’t that what you guys want though, a confession from her when she’s at her most vulnerable?”

“No,” Hyukjae answered, smiling at the newbie. “She still deserves to think for herself, and we want her to be fully conscious of her decisions, whatever they are.” The officer thought Ryeowook looked confused and chuckled. “Trust me, she will not be let off easily. But we won’t treat her like a criminal either. We made a deal with her, remember? No coercion.”

“Right…”

“Why are you so worried about her anyway?” Hyukjae joked. “Did you think she’s your type?” he asked, a mischievous glint in his eye. Ryeowook widened his eyes in shock. “No way!”

Hyukjae laughed. He was about to comment on it when suddenly something else caught his eye.

“Wait… isn’t that Heechul?”

Ryeowook looked in the direction the elder was pointing and squinted hard. “Yeah, I think so. Probably on his way to lunch?”

Hyukjae huffed and shook his head. “Never mind about my lunch. I’m just gonna follow him for a bit. He’s been giving me the slip too many times lately and I need to know what he’s up to. Don’t you think he’s acting the least bit suspicious at all?”

The younger officer nodded. “I’ll come with you.”

“He’ll hear us if you come along. I’ll be alright. You go get your lobster sub and I’ll just shadow him for a bit. Hopefully I won’t lose him again.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter