Chapter Two: Nice to Meet You

Ghost Number 01

Many times before, Jessica had been compared to her baby sister Krystal. Everyone could go on and on about how beautiful her sister was, how tall and curvy her figure was compared to the older Jung. Krystal would always refute the comments. "I may be pretty like your favorite idol to you but for me, Jessica unnie is a unique perfection." Those were the words she would say, the words that would give Jessica strength, they would make her laugh and hug her sister's face lovingly. Krystal had always been insecure about herself, despite the beautiful things said about her and Jessica's own words of reassurance, every word said to her seemed to just hit the surface of her head and fall down. 

She may not have had the power to cheer her little sister up but her sister did have the words that gave her strength and motivation to return the favor, as hard as it would be. Jessica always believed there was something special to her after Krystal's words but it was already too late to make the younger believe the same. Krystal's unique quality was her ability to understand others and make them laugh. Unfortunately, Jessica got stuck with the lesser gift, the ability to see ghosts. 

Jessica never knew of her ability, now that she looked back at her past she started to panic. What if the people she thought were alive during her childhood weren't? Ghosts, for the most part, took on a solid human form. With that form, any ghost could pass as a living human, maybe the people Jessica used to have tea parties and play house with were all ghosts. She had no way of knowing before, and she didn't really bring any of her friends over to the house. It wasn't until her last year of college that Jessica realized that these spirits were spirits. Each of them had a story to share and a life they once lived, yet, there would always be a wash of pure angst when confronting them. That's what Jessica used to identify the dead versus the living. 

This ghost was definitely filled with more angst than usual. 

A chill ran up Jessica's spine as she felt a cold wind rush from behind. She bit her lip and took a step back. Maybe confronting these things was a bad idea. Cautiously, she reached her hand out to search for the wall, relief flooding her system as she felt it's hard surface. She leaned up against it and sighed, her eyes looking around her to find the intruder. 

Tip.Tap.Tip.Tap.

Jessica heard the continuous sound of water dripping on the surface and she bit her lip, her eyes looking downwards to see a small puddle of water forming under her feet. 

"You are very pretty, but you always seem too tense, if you relax a bit more I'm sure you'll get a lover soon." A soft voice spoke up behind her. Jessica's eyes widened in fear as she looked towards the direction the words came from. Standing there was a woman, taller than her and much thinner as well. Her hair was cut short into a bob style and was dyed a faint pink, almost peach color. She was wearing a white one-piece swimsuit and she looked as if she had just got home from a swim as thin beads and streams of water trickled down her thin body. Frightened a bit, she took a step back and cleared . "Who are you? Why are you here?" 

A chuckle escaped the ghost's lips and a smile surfaced. "It's okay, no need to be scared, I'm not here to hurt you. I'm Sooyoung and I really need a favor."

It was a mistake if she helped, Jessica knew it. Once she did a favor for one ghost then two more would come creeping up her bedroom at night asking for things too. Yet, the image of Sooyoung and the sincere look of her ghostly eyes led to the next words she knew she would regret saying. 

"What can I do for you?"

No words were said as Sooyoung started walking towards the stairs, briefly turning around and beckoning the other with her fingers as she continued to make her way up the stairs. The shorter of the pair followed wanting to get this ordeal over with. She was led up the stairs and past the front doors of her store where a busy Tiffany stood on the wall adjacent to the doors, handling a client as her eyes bore into Jessica's small figure leaving the room. 

They kept walking for what seemed to be an eternity for Jessica, Sooyoung stopped, standing in front of them was a house as huge as the store. It probably cost more than what Jessica earned in the past five years. 

"Was this your house?" She managed to ask, her eyes still glued on the big building. Sooyoung shook her head and walked over to the entrance where a big black gate stood, she placed her hand on one of the bars. 

"I used to live in an apartment, this is my brother's house. We used to be really close but one day he flew off on a business trip to Japan and that's when the accident happened." Her gaze lowered towards the ground, watching it deeply as a smile slowly grew on her face. "He was so panicked when he came to see me at the hospital, the doctors said I would be fine, it was just a few bone fractures that would be healed." 

Jessica could tell that this was hard for the taller woman, the aura around her was becoming gloomier and it was weird, for a moment, she was the one who felt like crying. She took a step forward and touched her arm, her fingers felt cold but the feeling she was emitting was warm. 

Feeling brave she took it upon herself to ask,"How did it happen?" Just as the ghost was about to reply, the door open and a man that looked to be around his late twenties came out. His hair was a dark coal color, perfectly matching his tan caramel skin tone. He had a slight stubble on his face and his clothes were nothing far from casual, jeans and a white wife beater with black and white Nike sneakers, yet the man had such an attractive view, and judging from the muscles on his arms and how toned his body looked, Jessica could tell that he was a fit person. 

The man stopped in front of the gate, spotting Jessica standing on the other side of it, eyes showing confusion but nevertheless, he smiled at her softly, dimples forming. "Uhm hi, may I help you?" He asked. 

Taken back, it suddenly became clear that she was a stranger, standing in front of the property of another stranger talking to what ordinary people would see, nothing. Clearing , she tried returning the smile, rather awkwardly might she add, and bowed. "I'm sorry for disturbing you, my name is Jessica Jung, it's a pleasure to meet you. If you wouldn't mind, may I offer you a cup of coffee?" It was a calm request but on the inside Jessica was screaming, what was she supposed to talk to him about? She couldn't just bring up his dead sister and the fact that she's haunting her. 

"I normally don't take coffee offers from strangers but you seem like a nice girl Jessica, so I'll spare you an hour or so for coffee." He smiled, taking out a key from his pocket and opening the gate. As he stepped outside, a hand shot out at her direction. "Choi Siwon, it's nice to meet you as well." 

With a shake of the hand, the two proceeded towards the coffee cart Siwon had mentioned before, from the corner of her eyes, Jessica could see Sooyoung trailing behind Siwon, giving him a sad look. Pursing her lips, she decided to start a conversation. "That's a big house you live in Siwon-ssi, do you live there alone?" 

"I do, it was a graduation present from my parents, it was a nice gesture on their behalf and I appreciate it, but after living there for some time it begins to feel almost too big" He stressed the word too a bit too much. Nodding her head, she continued. "I wouldn't doubt it, have you ever thought of inviting company? You know, friends, lovers or family? Like, a brother or a sister perhaps?" She hummed, slowly easing on to her main goal in this conversation.

However, that was not the reaction she expected when Siwon froze, fists now clenching and eyes suddenly darkened. He looked over at her and Jessica almost felt scared for asking that question. 

"My sister is dead." It was a simple statement yet the malice in his voice made Jessica wonder about the answer to her question towards Sooyoung. She bit her lip and paused, words formulating in her head to carefully pick at the answers she wanted from the man. 

"I'm sorry about that, may I ask how she died? You don't have to if it makes you uncomfortable." She held her hands up to her chest, a gesture she had seen remorseful people do when they felt empathy for someone. 

With a shake of the head, Siwon's smile returned, while it wasn't a bright one, it did seem the least bit happy. Maybe this was his first time talking about his sister's death, she wondered. Gesturing at one of the benches near the road, he walked towards one and sat down, patting the seat next to him. 

Peaked with interest, the blonde woman took a seat next to him and looked over at the people walking on the other sidewalk, just across the street. She could see couples, individual people, and families walking, some of them with a spirit trailing behind them. Her focus was cut as Siwon began speaking. 

"It was my fault," he began, "I shouldn't have gone on that trip and left her alone..."