Chapter One: Introduction

Ghost Number 01

It's 3:00 pm currently and the usually crowded streets are an empty void of endless pathways and trendy shops. One of them being straight ahead, the only tall building one would see if they walked along this route. The building looked very modern, built recently this summer, it's glassy surface was adorned by black tinted windows, vague outlines of white curtains could be seen if inspected closely. In the middle of this building where two white doors, a sign mounted above them in black with big plain white writing saying "BLANC & ECLARE" and the words "fashion store" in smaller print underneath. The sign stood out from it's older surrounding drawing one's eyes towards it. Once past the two doors you'd see a huge variety of clothes to choose from in the middle of the white walls, but the real center of attention was a short blonde figure scurrying around door to door, heels in click. 

The blonde woman, looked to be around her mid 20's, her eyes covered in a thick black pair of sunglasses even though it was not sunny. The black dress she was wearing adorning her curves gracefully, ending just above her knees, cream colored heels carefully covering her small feet. She leaned against the counter, blonde hair resting against it's hard surface as a sigh escaped her small glossed lips. A taller girl behind the cash register chuckled at the display the blonde gave, her eyes crinkling into a smile themselves, she leaned to stand next to the tired girl, elbows propped against the glass counter as she commented, "I'm guessing something isn't really going well, you should take a break, you'll get bad stress marks if you keep worrying so much, not to mention the ugly blisters you'll get from walking around with those heels all day." 

"I was just informed that the new shipment of scarves has been delayed for another week." She grumbled, small hands holding a white iphone tightly as she glanced at it again awaiting for a call to update her about the situation at hand. "Anyways, that's the least of my problems, I...she showed up again Tiff." She turned around, hair whipping as her brown eyes came into contact with another pair who belonged to the person she nicknamed 'Tiff'. Tiffany looked at her with unwounded sadness shown in her orbs as she placed her pink manicured hands on top of the smaller ones. "What did she say?" 

"She didn't really say anything, I was calling the company and when I looked up she was just standing there...and when I was going to talk to her she just walked away." She bit her lip. 

Tiffany the blonde's hands gently and comforting, trying to brighten the other's mood she laughed and squeezed the hands. "Maybe she wanted to tell you that you have a small piece of toilet paper stuck to your shoe." She pointed out, eyes shifting towards the cream colored heels, a faint white paper peeking it's corner from underneath it. 

"TIFFANY! YAH!" She shrieked jumping lightly before dragging the tip of her shoe against the floor in an attempt to take the paper off. After a couple of tries, the paper unstuck itself and the blonde turned her angry gaze towards the taller of the two. "How long have I had that there?" 

Happy she managed to changed the other's mind, she laughed and smirked. "Hm, maybe an hour...or two." She stepped back in an escape from the girl's wrath. She screamed as two arms flung themselves over the counter towards her and quickly guided herself out of the small area around counter and towards the corner of the room, cornering herself as she the smirking girl stepped closer to her. "Now Jessica," she bargained, "you were running around everywhere that I didn't have the heart to stop your little marathon so I didn't tell you." she laughed nervously as Jessica slowly walked towards her like a zombie. Just as another shriek of fright was about to erupt from Tiffany, Jessica stopped in front of her, a small melodious laugh echoing around the room as she grasped her stomach with one of her arms, muffling her laughs with her hand. 

"You know I won't hurt you silly!" She chuckled poking Tiffany's pale forehead. "That was your punishment for not telling me." A sigh of relief was all Tiffany could manage before she smiled gently at how cheerful her friend looked at the moment, her arm swinging it's way around her shoulders as she spoke. "Well, how about I make it up with lunch? We can go eat a nice sandwich or something." 

A small smile ensued along with a firm nod, accepting the others offer. "Just a sandwich? Wow Tiff, you're getting cheap." She joked, hitting the other's shoulder lightly before walking to the back room to collect her things.

Once Jessica was out of sight Tiffany crossed her thing arms with a heave. "Well with my pay check who wouldn't be." She said, following her boss.

Birds chirped happily as sunlight made their feathered wings glisten, exploiting the colors that brightened each individually colored feather. The cafe the two best friends were currently chatting in was loitered with people dressed in clothes fit for the summer, sitting comfortably while sipping their ice cold drinks and small conversational meals. 

Jessica stared at her fruit bowl, her fork picking at a slice of strawberry sticking it's peak out from the other assortments of fruit. Tiffany watched quietly as her best friend would stare out into the pavement with lost eyes which were then adverted back towards the poor strawberry that was being bullied with the silver utensil. It was a common thing the older woman would do ever since she lost her sister. She would sometimes look like a lifeless doll, her eyes void of emotion and staring unconsciously at something until a customer or client brought her back to life. Sometimes, she would get sick or depressed and not even attend work for days. 

Knitting her eyebrows together, Tiffany stared at the sandwich displayed in front of her in thought. Often, she would worry that her best friend would someday give up on living her life normally and go on an extravagant ghost hunt or something. Sometimes, she wondered if she could ever help her regain her happiness that was once lost and has yet to return. 

Jessica noticed her friend's concerned look and chuckled lightly, finally taking the strawberry in . "I know you're worried about me, you always seem to have that look around when things become quiet." Tiffany looked up in response and shook her head with a sigh. "Sorry, as a friend I can't help but worry, especially with such a troublesome friend." She dodged a grape thrown at her with a laugh and went back to her food right after. 

The blonde clasped her hands together and stared out towards the paved roads. "I really want to find out more about her, what her name is, why she is still here and how come she's haunting me. " A brow knitted slightly as hands touched the cool surface of the glass in front of her. "Can I even communicate?" 

It was not a question aimed towards her friend but more of a voiced out thought. One of the many that plagued the young girl's mind. Ever since she had been involved in a near death experience, she had been seeing faces of departed souls. Souls that only she could see and that would sometimes follow her home. At first, she treated them as if they were a figment created from the trauma of losing her sister earlier in life, ignoring the pulls on her sheets at night. She would simply close the leaking faucets that would suddenly turn on when she was packing her lunch. 

It was nothing Jessica couldn't ignore until it involved her best friend. She had invited the younger to her house with the intent to work on a fashion line they were planning on introducing to their shop. Everything was going well, there was the occasional movie break and gossip in between but Jessica knew better than to expect peace at her home. The older of the two had gone upstairs to retrieve her sketches for their new line, leaving Tiffany downstairs with a movie playing. When she returned downstairs, Jessica found Tiffany huddled up on the corner of the couch, knees close to her chest as she kept her head glued to her knees, refusing to look up despite Jessica's questioning. Her friend never told her what happened at that moment and instead left home early with the excuse of having to take care of her dog Prince but Jessica knew better. The spirits lingering around her home where becoming needier for her attention, going as far as tormenting her guests to divert them away. Tiffany was only one of the victims of their terror. 

A hand was quickly swiped in front of her face, breaking Jessica out of her trance. "Jessica, you're spacing out again."

With a low chuckle, Jessica picked up her things and placed the money on the table. "Are you finished? We have to get back to work now." She walked away, but working was not exactly the intention the girl had in her mind when it came to returning to that shop. 

Back at the store, Tiffany took to her spot behind the register and began inspecting the purchases made as she watched her friend stalk immediately towards the back room from the corner of her eye. The blonde was determined to figure out what this spirit wanted with her seeing as it kept tormenting her. Her hand reached up for the cord hanging above her head and yanked it down,turning the light on. Her cat like eyes scanned the perimeter, trying to find anything that might lead to the cause of her problems. 

Suddenly, a shadow moved swiftly past her, the slight breeze picking up around her. Eyes now narrowed and hands place in front of her as the cord above her head swung wildly from the huge gust of wind, she turned her head slightly towards the direction the shadow headed to. 

"Hello?" She asked in a soft tone trying not to scare the spirit away. She scoffed at her own thought, how funny that she's trying not to scare the thing that's been scaring her friends away. 

A shaky hand reached up behind the unsuspecting shop owner and pulled the cord, successfully turning off the light as another voice whispered a hush. "Shh..."