The Recipe of My Life

The Recipe of My Life

 

 

In her bright white outfit and hair in a bun as a white hat sat on her head, the petit girl glided around the kitchen as if she was Kim Yuna in the ice rink. Her movements were flawless and perfect allowing the food to go out fast as her workers remained focused and efficient. “Chef Special- appetizer, no cucumbers.”

Taeyeon showed a wide cheeky smile, “She is back...” As the head chef, Taeyeon took her order and prepared the salad herself. She stacked the vegetables neatly (making sure to not touch the cucumbers) on the white plate before taking the bottle of dressing to make an intricate design on the plate. She then rang the bell, “Order up.” None of the employees would suspect that the dish she just made had a little extra love in it but Taeyeon always sprinkled that last ingredient in that specific customer’s dishes.

A while later another order came, “Chef Special-main meal, extra sauce plus 4 extra mushrooms.”

Taeyeon laughed at the order. She knew the girl was here just by the appetizer but the order for the main meal always made her laugh. Since the girl was ordering the same thing when she came, Taeyeon had the dish already prepared but this time she added one extra mushroom as specified by the customer. Next would be the desert and that is when the customer would ask for the green tea ice-cream than the vanilla that should be given with that dish. Then finally, that specific customer would ask for the chef to come to the table so she could thank her personally. It was the final part of the meal that Taeyeon loved most.

Taeyeon was in the middle of preparing another desert when she got the call, “Chef Kim, customer at table 4 wants to meet you.”

Quickly brushing her hands on the cloth next to her, Taeyeon went to follow the waiter to the table. The smile never faded from Taeyeon’s face as she spotted the blond hair while approaching the table. “This is Chef Kim.”

Taeyeon was happy to see a table full of satisfied customers, “It is nice to meet you. I hope your meal was satisfying.”

The blond hair girl always took the initiative to talk for the whole table, “Like always Chef Kim. My clients were raving how your food is the best in Korea.”

“Thank you for the compliments. If there is anything else that you need, I will happily assist.”

“No thank you for the meal you gave us already and for meeting us.”

Taeyeon blushed some before bowing, “I will take my leave into the kitchen then. Please enjoy the rest of your night.”

The blond haired woman looked Taeyeon in the eyes, “Thank you.”

Once back in the kitchen, Taeyeon wanted to go around squealing of happiness since she saw that girl again, but she just showed that dimpled smile the rest of the night.

 

Being the head chef at a 5-star restaurant in Korea was always Kim Taeyeon’s dream, but getting to a position like that, doesn’t happen overnight. Taeyeon worked hard to get to her current position and it was in that process that she first met the blond haired woman.

At the age of 15, Taeyeon found her love for cooking. She moved to the city to go to a better high school education in Seoul and stayed with her uncle and aunt who owned a moderate sized diner. It was a homey diner that often had many customers, but when her uncle had spare time, he would teach Taeyeon things in the kitchen. That was when Taeyeon decided to follow in his footsteps and become a chef, but not just any chef. She always aspired to be the best.

By age 18, Taeyeon decided to help her aunt and uncle by waitressing if she wasn’t busy with school. She majored in Culinary Arts at Sookmyung Women’s College and was a natural cook which caused her to enter the elite program of Le Cordon Bleu that was affiliated with her university. Taeyeon was confident when she cooked and knew she was already on her way to excellence in her field just by being in the top program in Korea.

It was in Taeyeon’s final year at university that she won a competition that would allow her to go to New York and study for 13 months at The Institute of Culinary Education.  Therefore, Taeyeon graduated from her university in Seoul before boarding a plane and going to America. Not knowing much English, Taeyeon felt she struggled a lot on a day to day basis but most of her classes used words she was familiar with from her previous studies so classes were never a big hassle.

It was her second month at her new school and part of the exam system was to go to various parts of New York, set up a food stand and present their dishes. Taeyeon loved this the most about her school. She wanted to be the best but to be the best, she needed to see how the public reacted to the food she prepared. It was when she was interacting with the customers that she could see what pleased them and what they detested. It was the most important part of her education she believed.

It was autumn when Taeyeon was doing her second food stand experience. She and her partner made a menu consisting of 3-sides, 3-main courses, and 2-desserts. The sides were simple consisting of a salad with a homemade vinaigrette, a grilled vegetable medley, and a Greek pasta salad. The sides would complement her 4 main dishes which where Greek in concept but had an Asian flare to respect her roots. Finally, the desserts were a homemade green tea ice cream and a honey-walnut pie.

To no surprise, Taeyeon saw many returning customers form her first attempt at the food stand. She knew the first time was a huge success with her sandwich stand that consisted of many unique choices you wouldn’t see at any normal sandwich shop. Today confirmed that many of her customers from before were willing to have her cooking again which made Taeyeon ecstatic that her food was getting the recognition she always dreamed of.

The lunch period was very busy and Taeyeon had already sold out of 2 of her sides and 2 of her main dishes, but the customers were not going to leave it seemed until all her food was gone. Taeyeon went to the front to take some more orders when a certain blond haired girl caught her attention, “What would you like miss?”

The girl looked up at Taeyeon with her deep pool of brown eyes, “The salad, kebobs, and ice cream please.” Taeyeon smiled before writing the orders down and placing the sheet near all the other orders waiting to be filled, “$25 please.”

The girl laughed, “I was recommended here by a friend...don’t you think $25 is too much for a simple food stand?”

Taeyeon did think her prices were a bit high but her ingredients were not exactly cheap either, “I promise you only the best miss.”

She girl handed over her money, “I only expect the best.”

The girl had a spunky personality but Taeyeon only found amusement in it as she went back to help her partner in the cooking. The orders were called out one by one and Taeyeon could see all the smiles on the faces of those she handed the food to...well except one. “Miss. I can’t eat this.”

Taeyeon looked at the salad that was in front of her, “Is there too much dressing?”

The girl scrunched her face, “Make me a new one. No cucumbers.”

Taeyeon looked back and saw that her salad making ingredients were gone, “I am sorry but we sold out, I can’t make a new one. I can give you your money back if you want...”

The girl stopped her, “Keep it. I demand you make me a new one next time I come.”

Taeyeon laughed a bit, “the menu will be different next time.”

The blond haired girl was stubborn, “I don’t care. I want to have this salad without cucumbers.”

Taeyeon took the salad back with her eyes still glued to the blond haired girl who walked away. Was the girl serious about wanting a new salad?

Two weeks later, Taeyeon thought she was stupid for bringing this salad with her today although it didn’t fit her now Chinese-Korean BBQ themed stand for the day. “This girl better show up...” Taeyeon mumbled as she prepared the food. She was especially bitter because the ingredients were paid for by her and not the school budget proved. It was like Taeyeon was handing the girl a meal she paid for but they weren’t even on a date.

The bitterness and anger only increased as the day progressed. It was 15 minutes until she had to close the stand but the girl didn’t show! “Wait! Don’t close!” Taeyeon whipped her head around when she heard a familiar voice, “I am here.”

The sour attitude Taeyeon had from before vanished as she saw the girl panting before her, “What would you like miss?”

The blond haired girl fixed her hair a bit, “Did you bring it?”

Taeyeon shook her head and presented the girl with a salad, “Is that all?”

The girl just ignored Taeyeon and took a bite out of the salad as her face turned into something that showed she was enjoying something unimaginable, “How I went two weeks without this...I don’t know. This dressing is to die for.”

Taeyeon’s cheeks flushed as the girl complimented her cooking, “T-thanks...”

The girl smiled at her as if to say, I will be back. Taeyeon once again watched the girl walk away but it wasn’t the only time. For the rest of the year, the girl would continue to come to Taeyeon’s food stand. Most times she would come with friends and Taeyeon would strike up conversations with the girl who she found out had a name, Jessica. The girl was also studying in New York doing something related to Business Relations but all that mattered was that Jessica was always close to her.

One day, Jessica came but alone. She ordered some food but to Taeyeon’s disappointment, Jessica got the food to go so she couldn’t talk to her like usual. Jessica paid and thanked Taeyeon for the food before Taeyeon watched the blond girl walk off into the distance. A frown was on Taeyeon’s face but a smile soon appeared as she looked down and saw a napkin with a number on it. She didn’t remember it from before.

Taeyeon went back to her room with the napkin in her hands with the neat hand writing. She was positive that it was from Jessica so she tried and dialed the number. Yet there was utter disappointment as the line was busy.

It would take Taeyeon another 2 days until she tried the number again and this time it connected, “Hello?”

“Jessica?”

“This is her.”

“Hi umm...this is Taeyeon from the food stand. You left your number?”

A giggle was heard on the other line, “I did.”

Taeyeon didn’t know what to say exactly as she was very nervous to be talking on the phone with Jessica, “I see.”

“Taeyeon...”

“Yes?”

“Do you want to go out with me sometime? I want to treat you to a meal for once although I can’t promise it will be as good as your cooking.”

Taeyeon nearly knocked a few items over as she stood up in joy, “Of course!”

Another giggle was heard on the other line, “Okay. I will message the details to you. I will see you Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon was grinning as she was the happiest girl alive, “Bye Jessica.”

“Bye Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon remembered after that conversation with Jessica, her time in America was the happiest she ever had been. Every day was met with eagerness from the petit girl and she was sure that life perfect. It after 13th months in America that her visa brought her back to Korea. She was upset. Jessica was still in America doing an internship but Taeyeon had to return to her country. Taeyeon tried getting a decent position in America near Jessica but an offer in Korea was given to her that could make her dreams of being a top chef come true. Taeyeon chose follow her dream at that time.

 

~Present~

Taeyeon rubbed her shoulders tiredly when she walked into her condo very tired from a full night’s work. Her shoes slipped off as she dropped her bag near the door but she stopped with a light illuminating from the living room, “Humm the light is on.” Curiously, Taeyeon shed her jacket as she walked towards the light but her face smiled brightly when she saw what was on her couch sleeping. To not startle the creature, Taeyeon picked up her dog Ginger gently. The dog stirred a bit but the scent of his owner calmed him as he nuzzled into Taeyeon’s arms.

Taking the dog to the bedroom, Taeyeon placed the dog in his bed before going back to the living room and turning of the light that was still on. Maneuvering in the dark, Taeyeon managed to make her way to the bathroom to prepare for bed. She tried her best to not make much noise or light as she washed her face and change clothes but Taeyeon was a bit clumsy and Ginger woke up anyways when she returned to the bedroom, Taeyeon saw the shiny eyes looking at her. Taeyeon sighed as she kneeled down at the dog, “Sorry I woke you Ginger, go back to sleep.”

Another sound stirred behind Taeyeon, “The dog wasn’t the only thing you woke.”

Taeyeon smiled as she stood up to slip into the covers and hold the girl tight that was in the sheets, “Sorry I woke you babe.”

The girl shook her head as she shuffled close to Taeyeon, “I am happy you woke me. I want my goodnight kiss.”

Taeyeon chuckled before leaning in and giving her girl a very loving and lingering kiss on the lips, “I love you.”

The girl gave Taeyeon a peck on the lips before putting her head back onto Taeyeon’s shoulder, “I love you too.”

Taeyeon looked at the girl as her heart was fluttering with contempt, “Hey Sica...I have a question.”

The girl opened her eyes, “What is it babe.”

Taeyeon shifted a bit so she could see her lover better, “What was the extra mushroom for? I remember you always asking for 3 to say I love you.

The girl smiled, “I saw the little heart on my appetizer so I wanted to say I love you too.

Taeyeon smiled happily because it was times like these that she could see her life had turned into the perfect recipe.

 

~END~