Moonlight

Moonlight

They say it’s only a legend; something you heard since you are little. None has ever seen it, but of course people talk like they actually see the thing. It’s so mysterious, so magical, so unbeliavable that it is almost just a mere lie to make the young fairies stay away from that place. Huine, The Forest of Darkness. The creature is said to be  stayed there, waiting in silence under the moonlight once in every year. It is said to have the most serene figure; silvery hair that glistens under the bright light of the moon. Bathing in the midst of the lake, even its shadows illuminates the beauty and wonder of the whole world.

Young fairies are keen to see the legendary creature by the lake but are scared of the consequences. Because the forest is full of danger. Unknown beasts, gnomes, Ogres, and even cerberus are lurking in the darkness, waiting for the prey underneath the shadow of the thick blanket of trees. Or at least that’s what the elder had said and the young has no choice but to believe. Kyungsoo does too, but not until now. Not until he accidently lost that night, somehow getting inside the thickness of frightening darkness and made it to the lake. His fear instantly washed away when he glanced around at the calm water. That night the moon shone bright, the water mirrored its light, creating a sort of imaginary path below. Kyungsoo was only 14 at that time and truthfully he was scared but also hypnotized by what he saw. He was about to leave the site, knowing that he should not be there, when a gush of wind carressed his face and he had to close his eyes. But when he opened them again, his breathe got caught in the midst of his throat.

Not far from where he stood right on the lake, there was a figure. The water only reached his waist, the broad shoulder was clearly seen right under the wetness of his white apparel, and that silver hair. The figure bathed in the moonlight, just stood there with his head up toward the sky and even thought the young fairy couldn’t see his face he knew for sure he was infatuated by him. He stood his ground, couldn’t take away his eyes from the creature before someone called his name, and when he turned around it was gone.

Leaving him alone with a summer breeze and the silence of the night.

 

***

Jongin casually strolls in the middle of the small path, hands on his pocket of his black robe. It is a usual night for him, when he has to do his job as the night-watchman. The were scoffs; Junmyeon is supposed to guard this part of the forest tonight but for some ways he doesn’t even want to know the male succeeds in persuading the pack leader to have a short break. After all that that’s the advantage of being Lay’s lifemate.

The werewolf kicks a small stone under his feet and continues walking. He actually doesn’t understand why Lay needs him and the others to guard the forest tho. None of the other creatures dare to enter this forest. Well beside some hungry beasts that need to feed once in a while which is not a big deal for his pack. As long as they don’t make too much mess, usually Jongin let them have their own business. This night is unusually cold, even for him and he wonders why since it’s only summer and summer usually means pretty hot.

At some point, Jongin suddenly stops. His strong smelling sense catches another appearance on the same forest. This presence is different, and Jongin knows this one is no hungry ferocious beasts he usually meets. This presence seems gentle, so gentle that Jongin feels like he is drawn to the weird sensation of this newfound. It’s a scent of a fairy. A wood fairy for the exact. The were hopes of quickly on the nearest trees and follow the scent, which leads him to the lake. And he finally sees what he is going after. The small figure with a dark green robe, probably made of silk with a hood covering his head. His hand holds up a lantern, the golden sparks lighten up the dark night just a bit. He couldn’t see the face, not until the night clouds move away and the bright and big moon makes its grand entrance. The sudden ray of light hits the small male fairy’s face and Jongin almost lost his balance at the sight. The little male is beautiful with an aura that surround him. The small lips quirks into a smile as the moon appears, and Jongin watches as the fairy takes his seat on the edge of the lake with his eyes stare at the emptiness of the lake, as if waiting for something to appear.

And Jongin makes a decision at that very moment. He stays on that spot of the huge tree and sits on one of the branch, watching the small fairy from afar wondering so many things in his head.

***

Kyungsoo huffs and leans on one of the tree behind him. It’s been a few days since he diligently sneaks out of his home and goes to this lake. Waiting for a certain creature to come and to watch him bathe (the thought makes him flustered a bit since it sounds wrong), and probably... just maybe he could try to call him and talk. Well maybe Kyungsoo just want to meet him again, because he is sure he has fallen in love with the magical creature.

He never tells anyone about his sighting, except to Baekhyun which listened to every detail of his story with wide eyes. Eventhough he was skeptical at first but Kyungsoo convinced him anyway and made him promise not to tell a single soul about it.  And so here he is, it’s the third year he comes to the same spot right when the full moon appears, waiting for the creature to re-appear. No luck so far, he sighs while watching a small grass snake slithers on the tip of his shoes.

He knows what he does is pretty risky. He hears the rumors of hunters and beasts ever since he was little, that they can kill such a fragile kind like him in a flash, eating his flesh and maybe throws away his guts when they finish. The thoughts scares him to death but the will, the strong will to see his mysterious legendary creature is overpowering the fear. Because now he knows the legend is true, it lives and he falls hard for him.

His train of thoughts get cut however when heavy steps heard not far from where he sits. And it doesn’t feel right, his heart starts beating fast and in the state of panic he blows off the light of the lantern. He has no idea what to do but to stay still, praying that whatever it is will soon go away. It could be anything. Centaurs, Gargoyle, or even mountain trolls. Anyhow none of them are good for Kyungsoo; He possibly one of the weakest of his kind. The male fairy holds his breathe and close his eyes, when the steps getting closer...

He almost screams when a rough hand covers his mouth.

Min-i taurë, sí! *)” the hisses on his ear is loud and clear and he nods quickly just to be safe. Letting his small body being dragged by the stranger towards the depth of the forest, hands cover in sweats and the silk robe starts to feel too sticky on his back. His breathes quicken when the stranger pulls him backward to the bushes that is secluded from any sight and he waits with his eyes widen. Then he sees them; right above their hiding spots he can see clearly a pack of Outclanners **), storming over the trees with some animalistic growls and howls. The ground shaken as they race above, and Kyungsoo faintly hears a scream somewhere followed by the crazy laughs from the pack.

They both hold their breathe and wait until the silence envelopes once again. Then slowly the stranger on his back let go and Kyungsoo immediately turns around. His eyes meet with another pair of eyes, only they are not green like his. They are Yellow, a mix of Citrine and Sapphire that makes them shine in the darkness. His hair is black however, much contrast to the colors of the eyes. But he looks handsome nonetheless. Kyungsoo blushes a bit when the thought crosses his mind.

“W-Who are you?” he stutters as he steps away from the black haired male.

The other male sighs and scratches his head. “If i tell you you might run away.”

“R-run?? But why?” Kyungsoo asks, suspiciously eyeing the tall man who now takes a careful step forward. He takes another steps back.

“Because, I’m a werewolf.” The man quietly answers. Kyungsoo yelps ate that and stumbles backward, his feet stumbles upon the root of a tree and he almost falls head first. But the werewolf quickly catches his small figure and makes them both falls hard on the solid ground. The wood fairy closes his eyes tightly waiting for the impact of the fall but when he feels nothing he slowly opens his eyes. Only to meet with the yellow-ish orbs again. Kyungsoo quickly pushes himself up, making the were groans in pain as his back hits some rocky ground underneath.

“Are you-one of them??” he quickly squeaks, “but h-how can you speak Elvish?!”

The werewolf rolls his eyes and stands up, cleaning off his black jacket coat off the dirt and crosses his arm.

“If i am one of them, why would i help you then? And stop being so scared, i’m not gonna eat you or something!” he answers and hisses while look around. Aware that the wild pack will be back soon if they hear this ruckuss.

“H-how would i know you won’t eat me?! Or hurt me at least?!”

“Because if i want to hurt to you, i would have done that since days ago, you dummy!”

Kyungsoo blinks as the werewolf slaps his own forehead as if he just say something he shouldn’t have.

“What do you mean days ago?” he asks, “Are you watching me?”

 

The other male sighs and put his hands on his hips. Sometimes his mouth is too big indeed.

 

***

Kyungsoo finds out later that his name is Jongin. Eventhough he is the same kind of the pack he saw earlier, he is different. Raghnaid***) aren’t supposed to hurt other kinds like the Outclanners do. The young fairy then learn to Jongin is slightly younger than him and he bashfully admits that he has been watching Kyungsoo ever since the day he comes back to the lake.

“It’s not intentional,” Jongin tries to reason, “I just... worried because noone supposed to be near the lake since it’s dangerous to be there.” He rubs the back of his neck uncomfortably. The last thing he wants is Kyungsoo getting the wrong idea and thought he stalks him. But wait, isn’t he kind of stalking the fairy because he practically watches over him?

Kyungsoo smiles a bit and bits his lips. A soft ‘thank you’ is heard and both falls silent once again. Jongin then answers embarassedly when Kyungsoo asks,

“But i never sees you, where are you watching me from?”

“Err, up there.” He coughs a bit and pints on the top of the tree they’ve been sitting in front of. “You eh- you are too busy looking at the lake, or at the moon i don’t know. Just exactly what are you searching for?”

Kyungsoo stares at him for a moment and Jongin swears his heart skips a beat.

“I’m searching for the love of my life.” He answers softly, eyes come back to the calm surface of the lake. Longing stares are given to the spot right under the moonlight and Kyungsoo almost, almost can see him again. Standing there with all his glory and beauty.

“What are you talking about?”

“Well you know the legend right? About the creature in the lake? The one with silver hair and only appears once in every year, every full moon. I- I have seen him once... Years ago. And since then i always come here, waiting for him to come again.”

Jongin’s jaws slack open, and he laughs not long after.

“Are you crazy? Yah, that is only a legend. There is no such thing as that magical creature or whatever you call him! You must be dreaming, little fairy!” he mocks and lays down on his back; hands leisurely put under his head. Kyungsoo crosses his arm and frowns.

“I am not! How dare you insult me like that to me while we just met a few minutes ago!” he snaps. Jongin just shrugs.

“Maybe because i am right. Chill out, you don’t have to be so mad over things like that.”

Kyungsoo stands up and looks at Jongin with hateful eyes.

“Well what if I am right?!”

Jongin shakes his head, “No chance. All these days, i haven’t seen anything except you looking at nothing on the lake. And that probably proves me right.” He answers in sing-song voice.

Kyungsoo is going to say something when Jongin sits up and beats him to that,

How about this, I will accompany you here while you wait for the love of your life to appear. And if you are right, I promise i will grand everything you wish for.”

The fairy squints his eyes. “Then be prepared to do whatever i want!”

“However,” Jongin continues clearly ignoring Kyungsoo, “If I am right, you will have to give me anything i want. How is that?”

Kyungsoo bits his lips and thinks hardly under the teasing gaze of the were. He nods anyway.

 

***

It’s almost 15 days since Kyungsoo sneaks out his home to sit on the edge of the lake, and it’s the 10th day Jongin is sitting with him. It’s pretty clear that the male fairy starts to feel tired but he is determine to meet his love. Jongin watches him in silent as the brightness of the moon reflected in his emerald eyes. The flawless cheeks shows a tint of pink when he feels cold and Jongin wants take off his black coat and wraps it around the thin body.

“Why you want to meet him?” he asks on their 20th day on the lake.

“I never know how love feels before except for my parents, the people of my village and even my best friend. I was pretty naive you know. When i was seeing him that night, I feel something new arise in my heart. I am infatuated by him, drawn by him, and before i even realized i knew i love him.”

Jongin feels a weird tightness in his heart as the doe eyed male explains without even breaking the stares from the lake. Inside, the were wonders how it feels to be stared at by the beautiful orbs, full of love and admiration. He doesn’t believe in love. He thinks it’s ridiculous that someone could be attached to other and hell he even scoffs at Junmyeon and Lay’s mating stuff. He is Jongin for god sake, the Jongin that likes to be free.

But for once, he wonders how it feels to love.

“Jongin ah, may i ask you something?”

“Shoot.”

“Other than our stupid deal, why are you here?” Jongin frowns at the question. Thinking for an answer but not quite finding an answer. So he just shrugs nonchalantly.

“Curiousity, i guess. I want to know what kind of thing that makes a little fairy risks his life just to meet him.”

Kyungsoo chuckles but says nothing. A comfortable silence comes between them for a moment when Jongin says,

“Kyungsoo ya, do you have wings?” The elder male immediately shoots a look at him.

“Why do you ask such thing?” Jongin raises his hand in defence.

“I just wanna know. My friend said fairies have wings and since you are well a fairy too so i can ask you, right? Wings kind of suits you, you know. ” He smirks, “Now tell me, do you have it?”

A smack in the head is the only answer he gets.

 

***

It’s the 25th day since Kyungsoo waits for his love and how he is being dragged by the werewolf to some place he doesn’t know.

“Jongin ah, where are we going? What if we meet some... dangerous creatures here?!”

The younger male smirks at him.

“Don’t worry, i will protect you.” Comes his answer, still pulling Kyungsoo’s hand foward. Kyungsoo bits his lips.

“But... what if he shows up when we are here?”

The question makes their movement stops. The male fairy lifts his head surprisingly and meets with Jongin’s eyes. There is something different in those eyes, Kyungsoo notices it since a few nights ago. Whenever he mentions his long awaited love, the light in Jongin’s eyes seem flutters down but the younger have a pretty good joob masking it.

Jongin sighs, walks behind him and speaks before he covers both Kyungsoo’s eyes with his hands.

“Let’s not talk about it now, alright? I wanna show you something.”

And eventhough the heart of his beat faster as he can smell Jongin’s scent, Kyungsoo follows the order anyway. After all, the younger has proven his words earlier. He had protected Kyungsoo while he wait on the side of the lake. He stumbles a few time and giggles while Jongin still covers his eyes and directs him to the place he intended to show. At a certain point, Jongin stops. Kyungsoo suddenly feels a hot breathe on his ears before the raspy voice he knows for a few weeks heard.

“Now Kyungsoo, I present you Gail, The chamber of Light.”

Kyungsoo blinks a few time to adjust his view and when he finally does, he almost break down and cry. He is now standing around the most beautiful sight he ever seen in his entire life. He is surrounded by the trees with fireflies all over them. The moon light shines from afar also illuminates the whole forest and it is wonderful. Even in his village he never sees something so beautiful like this. He watches in awe as one of the fireflies goes to him, staying at his shoulder blade.

Jongin watches him as he smiles, the looks on the wood fairy is simply stunning. It’s almost the same look as when the elder staring longingly at the lake. The werewolf steps forward, unconsciously drawn to the depth of the bright green eyes as Kyungsoo looks at him. Both shares the look in silence and Jongin slowly, ever so slowly grabs Kyungsoo’s chin and moves forward. He could feel Kyungsoo trembles in his fingers but it doesn’t really matter because he is wanting to do this for quite a long time. Maybe from the very first time he met Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo too seems mesmerized by the glistening eyes belong to Jongin. His body works on its own, moving forward as his lips now brushes lightly on the thickness that belongs to the younger male. He is shaking, heis mind yells he isn’t not supposed tolet Jongin kisses him because,

“Jongin ya... We should come back...”

Their movement stops however once the words are being said by Kyungsoo. Jongin closes his eyes and moves away reluctantly but still spare him a (fake) smile.

“Yeah, we should.”

Deep inside, the werewolf feels his heart being torn into small pieces. He knows he could never win Kyungsoo’s heart. It always belong to him anyway. It’s such a tragic story. Kyungsoo is so near yet so far he can’t touch him nor his heart. If only Kyungsoo knew...

 

***

It’s almost the end of the full moon and Kyungsoo’s face shows how dissapointed he is. Another year has been wasted and he doesn’t even know if waiting for someone so distant is really worth it. But he loves him, he really loves him. He feels he could wait for him for the rest of his life. He is awfully quite that night, with the look that makes Jongin’s heart break a little more. His eyes still set on the moon, but Kyungsoo seems so distant. His complexion even paler than usual.

“Do you think it’s worth it?” he hears Kyungsoo asks softly.

“What’s worth it?”

“Waiting for someone you barely know. For someone who never shows up. For someone you love so much but you just don’t know where to search for him?”

“Kyungsoo—“

“Is he even real? Tell me Jongin, Because i don’t know anymore. I don’t know why am i doing all of these.”

A tear escapes from the eye Jongin loves the most, and another one but he doesn’t show much expressions. It’s as if Kyungsoo has died inside. He is tired, and confused. He wants to see the man so much he even waits years for that moment. Suddenly the fairy stands up, taking off his silk robe leaving him only with his white shirt and starts walking towards the water. Jongin abruptly stands up as well, chasing the other male and shakes him to wake him up from his reverie.

“Kyungsoo! YAH! What the hell happen with you!?” the werewolf yells.

But it seems Kyungsoo doesn’t even hear him. The small male keeps walking toward the water, and Jongin eventually has to yank his wrist and pulls him back with anger back to the side of the lake.

“KYUNGSOO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! IT’S FREEZING ON THAT LAKE ARE YOU SERIOUSLY DOING TO RISK YOUR LIFE FOR SOMEONE THAT NEVER SHOWS UP?!”

“Let me go!” Kyungsoo yells back, “You don’t understand! I’ve loved him all this time! I must see him and probably if i go there, he would show up! Now let my hand go!”

“NO! NEVER! I’LL NEVER LET YOU GO TO HIM!” Jongin yells back, “Please Kyungsoo, we can always try next time. Just tell me and i will be there for you! Goddamnit Kyungsoo, I love you!”

The sudden confession effectively leaves Kyungsoo speechless. He stares at the taller male who now pants and looking at him with pained expression.

“Y-you love me?”

“I was going to say something before—“ Jongin stops, “before you step into the water. There is something i need to tell you. Kyungsoo, there is no such thing as magical lake creature like the legend says. It never exists...”

“But—“

“It was me.” Jongin cuts him, “The person you saw that time on this lake, it was me.”

 

Kyungsoo’s mouth agape, wide eyes staring at Jongin as if he is crazy.

“I realized it when we went to the Gail. It was me, the one you always looking for. I was here after a fight with an Outclanner. It was a full blood fight and i needed to wash up. So i came here and i guess that was when you see me.”

“No, you lie to me.”

“Kyungsoo, the timing matched. I just realized when i talked to one of my pack and that was when i know all about this. I am the one who you always searching for!”

“Stop lying Jongin! If you think by doing it will make me turn to you then you are wrong! I’m going home now!” Kyungsoo yanks his hand and starts to walk away from Jongin. The later looks at him and sighs. He takes off his black coat and throws it on the side, facing the bright moon above him.

“Then maybe you should see this.”

Kyungsoo watches with wide eyes as Jongin slowly changes right before him. His jet black hair turns gradually to platinum hue, he slowly dips into the water letting the cold liquid soak him. Making the wetness print his broad shoulder, crafting the same figure Kyungsoo had seen years ago. Only now, Jongin turns around to look at him. Eyes shines bright and Kyungsoo immediately recognize it. It was really Jongin. All these time, the person he is searching for is right beside him and he doesn’t even know.

“W-why” he manages to speak in between his trembling voice, “Why don’t you tell me that day?”

The handsome were smiles sadly.

“If you knew it was me, will you still call me the love of your life? Because all these times, you don’t fall in love with me. You fall in love with somebody else. Not me, Kyungsoo.”

His words were cut short when Kyungsoo takes a large steps and before he knows it, the smaller male has been hitting his chest repeatedly.

“Kyung—“

“IDIOT! Do you know how much i want to see you?! How much i dreamed about you?! How dare you not showing yourself right away! You like me getting suffered right?! You like me waiting for you right?! I HATE YOU!” he screams at the top of his lungs, tears streaming down on his pale cheeks. Jongin doesn’t stop him anyway. He knows he deserves it and he accepts it if Kyungsoo wants to throws fit at him.

When the hits stop, Kyungsoo sobs loudly while clenching at the front of Jongin’s soak shirt. The were cups the smaller male face with both hands, as if he is holding something so fragile, so pristine. Like he is holding Kyungsoo’s heart.

“I’m sorry...” That’s the only one he could say and he really meant it, he really meant it like his life depends on it.

 

Kyungsoo chokes on his own tears before pressing his lips to Jongin’s. They share sweet kisses under the moonlight,voicing a long awaited love to each other by the movement of their lips. When they finally pull away, Jongin press his forehead to Kyungsoo’s and smiles. His hand wraps around the small frame of Kyungsoo’s.

“So you do have wings.” He chuckles, “And i guess i am making your wings wet.”

Kyungsoo laughs at the remarks and pecks the were’s lips once again.

“This means you lost the bet. You should do anything i wish for.” The fairy smirks.

“Geez, fine then.” Jongin laughs while caressing the thick brownish hair with his finger, “What do you want me to do?”

 

The wood fairy lifts his eyes up and locks his stare at the other male’s.

“Don’t ever leave. Please stay with me forever.”

Jongin frowns.

“Eventhough you know this is forbidden? You do realize werewolves and fairies are not supposed to be together, right?”

“I’ve waited for this moment for years. Do you think i still care about that?”

Jongin stares at the smaller male. The gentle breeze swaps his silver hair to the side as he bores into the deep green ocean on the other’s eyes and then he knows Kyungsoo is right. Nothing else matter now beside both of them. So he leans on his lover, kissing him sweetly on the lips.

“Then i won’t leave you. I promise.”

 

- FIN-

 

NOTE:

*) Elvish language means "INTO THE FOREST, NOW!"

**) Outclanners: fericious and mean werewolves, they like to fight and sometime eat fellow werewolves too

***) Raghnaid: some high level of werewolves. They are usually respected.

 

############################

A/N: I know it';s freaking messed up but please spare me.

hope you enjoy it nonetheless ><