Let It Rain

It Started With a Game

Youngji is sitting on one of the bleachers inside the school gymnasium, her sweat-soaked shirt clinging to her skin. She feels hot although it has been raining all night. She takes another gulp of water and stretches lazily like a cat who just woke up. Man, her feet are killing her. She’s been dancing in 4-inch stilettos for 4 hours straight and her muscles are starting to cramp. She’s in her after-school practice for the cotillion dance to be presented on the juniors and seniors promenade. Ugh, dancing in heels continuously for hours is hard enough, Youngji thinks grudgingly while glaring at their instructor. But making us practice on Valentine’s Day?! This is freaking torture. I bet she’s just a bitter old hag.

“Whoa, whoa. Easy there buddy,” Youngji’s best friend Hara says while nudging Youngji’s shoulder with her own. “You might actually kill Ms. Lee with your death glare. It’s illegal to kill somebody, you know? Including our instructor, although she may not seem human at the moment.”

“Ugh. She’s just so annoying! Why, of all days, did she choose today to practice over time? It’s Valentine’s Day for crying out loud. Can’t she understand that we’re young high school girls with plans on Valentine’s Day?” Youngji answers, her anger boiling over.

“Plans? Hmm…I don’t really have plans so I guess I can’t argue but looks like somebody else has one. Come on, Heo Youngji, spill it.”

Youngji blushes and mutters, “I don’t. I was just speaking generally.”

Hara laughs and changing the subject, says “Whoo. It sure is rainy tonight. I had not anticipated that. I forgot to bring my umbrella.”

“Me too,” Youngji replies, relieved. She could feel the blood in her cheeks starting to recede. “What are we gonna do? This rain doesn’t seem like it will die down soon enough.”

“Hell if I know. Come on, break time’s over.”

Youngji follows Hara back to the center of the gym but her mind isn’t on the dance anymore. It’s on Wang Jackson, her… uh… well she doesn’t know what their status is. It’s a bit complicated.

 

Jackson is the roommate of her thesis partner, Kangjoon.  Since there was only a month and a half left ‘til graduation, they were working overtime and she had to stay over Kangjoon’s house most of the time. As a result, she can’t help but be around Jackson most of the time too which doesn’t bother her because Jackson is head over heels for her best friend, Hara and has been so since seventh grade. However, Hara has her eyes set on Jackson’s best friend and campus hottie, Mark. One day while working on their paper’s Review of Related Literature, Youngji felt stressed out and tired so she decided to vent out her stress on Jackson who was innocently watching a fencing video clip on his laptop.

“Hey there, Wang Jackson,” Youngji said in her falsetto voice while grabbing Jackson’s arm and smiling, doing her best to imitate Hara’s signature smile.

“Ya Heo Youngji! What are you doing? You’re creeping me out,” Jackson said, desperately trying to release his hands from Youngji’s hold.

“Youngji? What are you talking about?” Youngji answered, feigning surprise. “My name is Goo Hara.”

“Ya ya ya. My precious Hara has a much sweeter voice that.”

“Why aren’t you believing me? My name is Goo Hara and I’m Wang Jackson’s girlfriend.”

Jackson stared at Youngji for a moment and, realizing he can’t shake Youngji off, decided to ride along with her prank in order to irritate her.

“Omo, you’re right. How can I not recognize my honey? Let me look at that beautiful face again.” Jackson cupped his hands on Youngji’s tiny face and said, “Omo honey. You’ve gotten prettier over the last few hours. So pretty, I didn’t even recognize you.” Suddenly, Jackson started showering Youngji’s face with kisses. Youngji desperately tried to make her face free but Jackson’s grip on her face was pretty strong—after all, he was a former fencing champion. “YA! WANG JACKSON STOP THAT RIGHT AWAY!” shouted Youngji at the top of her lungs. Feeling triumphant, Jackson released Youngji and smirked. “Wanna be all lovey dovey again, honey?”

“No way honey,” Youngji answered, saying the word ‘honey’ with so much contempt. “I’ve had enough for today.”

Jackson laughed his evil laugh and went back to watching the fencing video clip.

Well, that was the start of their game. Whenever Youngji goes over to Kangjoon’s place, she would pretend that she’s Hara then she and Jackson would pretend that they’re together and say cheesy stuff to each other. The first one who gets grossed out loses. But then one day when she was about to , Jackson suddenly held her hand and looked her in the eyes. Jackson’s eyes looked conflicted, his brows were furrowed. She realized it was the first time she ever really looked him straight in the eye. She noticed how mesmerizing his brown eyes looked against his white skin, how perfect his nose looked, and how red and thin and kissable his lips looked. She felt something tug at her heartstrings. But just then, Jackson’s eye glinted evilly again and he shouted, “Got ya! You lose.”

“YA! That wasn’t fair!” Youngji protested but Jackson was already celebrating his victory by running around the room and shouting like an idiot. Youngji just smiled at him and went back to her paper works. But something was bothering her. His eyes. Why did his eyes look like that? Youngji thought. Back then, he didn’t look like he was pulling of a prank. And I felt something. There was a connection. I know I felt that. But oh well. He’s Wang Jackson anyway. He can be so unpredictable.

 

They continued their game but that week, Jackson started acting weird. There were times when he would silently hold her hand then look at her with those conflicted eyes again, like he’s in a dilemma, only to drop her hand suddenly then act like nothing weird happened. Youngji was confused but didn’t ask Jackson about it. Jackson’s way of thinking was weird anyway. Maybe he just felt like it or maybe she was just mistaken. Maybe she was just noticing a little too much about him, trying to find meaning behind a casual thing. She’s been doing a lot of that lately—noticing Jackson, I mean. She noticed how Jackson’s eyes would sort of disappear when he laughed, how cute his dumb expression looked when he didn’t understand something, and how completely adorable he is when he does his dorky reactions. Maybe I’ve just been around him too much, Youngji thought to herself. But she couldn’t even convince herself with that excuse because of the way her heart skipped a bit whenever she sees him smile and the way her skin would tingle with excitement every time he touches her. No, I’m not falling in love with him. I can’t. I’ll just end up hurting myself. We all know that Hara is the only apple of his eye. Darn, Hara. Why can’t you notice this adorable idiot? How can you not…

Her thoughts were disturbed when Jackson suddenly held her shoulders with so much force, she knew his hand would leave a red mark on her skin. “Listen,” he said. “I’m only saying this once because I barely have enough courage to tell you this.” Youngji just looked at him, startled.

“I think I like you,” Jackson said with a quivering voice but with eyes burning with determination.

“Ye…Yeah, I know you do honey. You liked me since seventh grade,” Youngji replied, trying to sound casual although her heart was beating so hard she was afraid it could be heard from a mile away.

“No, I don’t mean Hara. I mean you. I think I like you, Heo Youngji.”

“Err…Uh…” was all Youngji managed to say because she felt like she was melting under Jackson’s intense stare. Then she whispered silently, while avoiding Jackson’s stare, “I think I do too. Like you, I mean.” She closed her eyes and waited for Jackson to laugh evilly and for being so completely gullible. However, it did not come so she thought maybe Jackson did not hear her. Feeling a little relieved, she looked at Jackson again but what she saw made her heart beat faster again and her cheeks flooded with color. Jackson was smiling at her, looking like he was the happiest man on earth. So he did hear her, after all.

 

Since then, they had been hanging out together more often, even at school. Then he would always fetch her after her cotillion practice and wait with her ‘til the bus arrives while gently holding her hand. She didn’t know what they were since he didn’t court her officially and she didn’t have the nerve to ask him what their relationship was. All she knew was that they were special to each other.

Due to that, she’s expecting him to do something for her today since it’s duh, Valentine’s Day. Nothing extravagant, even just a simple hand written note will do. She’s been anticipating what he’ll do all day but he hasn’t done anything yet. So she figures he might do it when he fetches her after practice since that’s his last chance to be with her today. That’s the reason she eagerly wanted practice to end soon but their instructor seemed bent on prolonging her agony. Finally after a few more hours, practice was over. She was gathering her things when Hara approached her and asked her if they could talk for a bit. Nothing important just casual talk, Hara told her. They were walking out the gym door when Jinyoung, her classmate who is also part of the cotillion dance, called her. When she turned around, he was walking hurriedly towards her with both of his hands behind his back. Jinyoung is also her friend but they were kind of awkward since Jr. (his nickname), confessed to her a year ago. “Hey Youngji can you uh… spare me a few seconds?” Jr. said while looking at the ground and blushing a little. “Sure no problem,” she answered, smiling. “What is it?”

“Uhm… I just wanted to give you this.” With hands shaking, he handed her a single white rose and a brown teddy bear wearing a removable cream hoodie and has the words “Hug” and “Me” embroidered on each of its feet. She smiled at the teddy bear, thinking how cute it was and how it didn’t seem like Jr.’s style. “So uhm… yeah. That was it. Sorry for bothering you and happy Valentine’s Day again,” Jinyoung said still looking at the ground.

“Thank you so much and Happy Valentine’s Day to you too,” Youngji answered, then left with Hara.

Later on, Hara told her that Jr. wasn’t the one who bought the teddy bear since he caught the flu and only got better on Valentine’s Day so he asked his mother instead. His mother asked him who the special girl could be and when he would introduce the girl to her. Jinyoung just answered his mom that she wouldn’t be meeting the girl since she likes somebody else but although he knew he was hopeless, he still wanted to do something for her on that special day.

Youngji felt bittersweet. Jinyoung is so nice and thoughtful, why doesn’t she like him back? But then she felt a sudden surge of happiness as she saw Jackson coming towards them with an umbrella in hand. What kind of surprise does he have up his sleeve? Youngji thought excitedly. This mischievous jerk. He really kept me on my toes.

“Here comes your prince charming. Go ahead, dear. I’ll just… walk here a little longer,” Hara said, smiling but with a sad look on her eyes. That was weird. But Youngji was too distracted to dwell on it for too long.

“Ok then, I’ll go on ahead.” She waved frantically at Hara while walking backwards until she was out of sight.

“So how’s my princess?” Jackson said while wrapping his hand around Youngji’s waist.

“Tired. Excited. But mostly curious.”

“About what?” He looked at her, puzzled.

“Oh I don’t know. Just stuff out there.” Youngji said, absentmindedly waving her hands around. Just then, Jackson spotted the rose and teddy bear she was holding. “Where did you get that?” Jackson said, his voice dripping with jealousy.

“Get what?”

“That rose and bear.”

“Oh this? It’s Jinyoung’s gift.”

“Why would he…” Jackson looked confused then he started to panic as he realized what was happening. “Ya what date is it today?”

“14th of February. Don’t tell me…” A lump started to form in as she too started to realize the reality.

“Oh crap. I totally forgot. Youngji-ah, I’m so sorry. I’m the worst. I’m really, really sorry.”

HOW COULD YOU?! HOW COULD YOU?! Youngji was shouting in her mind, her eyes were starting to sting. But she steeled herself and managed to say, “No. It’s alright. You’re just human. You forget things too. Here’s my bus. Good night.”

“I’m so sorry. Here take my umbrella, you can’t get wet.” Jackson managed to give her the umbrella even though Youngji was hurriedly getting on the bus. She felt the lump in getting bigger and bigger. She just wanted to cry there on the spot but then her classmates got on the bus too so she did her best to fight back her tears and smile. Then she heard her phone beep. It was a text from Jackson.

jackson: “Hey are you mad?”

youngji: “What do you think?”

jackson: “I’m really, really sorry for forgetting. I’m such a jerk.

By that time, angry tears started falling down the length of her face. She was so angry at herself for expecting too much, for making herself look like a fool. And in a flare of anger, I started typing everything I wanted to say but couldn’t.

youngji: “How could you forget? How could you ing forget? I couldn’t sleep all week, thinking what kind of surprise you’d make for me. After all, you like WGM as much as I do. And then I waited all day like a fool for you to give me something. ANYTHING! Even just a piece of trashy paper with a note scrawled over it. I couldn’t care less whether or not I received anything from other people as long as I receive something from you. And then you tell me YOU FORGOT?! How could you?! Jinyoung even asked his mom buy a gift for me since he was sick. He’s so sweet and thoughtful. And you, you didn’t even greet me! You couldn’t even say a simple ing greeting! Why the hell did I fall in love with a jerk like you?!”

When she reached her stop, she immediately ran out of the bus and into the rain. She ran all the way home, not bothering to open the umbrella Jackson gave her. By the time she arrived, she was dripping wet and her adrenaline rush had subsided. She fell to the floor, feeling defeated, weak and depressed. She cried her eyes out until her eyes got so puffy she had a hard time keeping them open. As her tears ran out, her mind also started to clear up. She realized how much of a jerk she had been to Jackson. It was not his fault that he forgot and with the way he apologized, it was evident that he really didn’t mean for it to happen. So she fished her phone out of her pocket and texted Jackson. Luckily, her phone still worked despite being soaked in her pocket for a quite some time.

“Hey. I’m so sorry for the things I said earlier. I was just so mad. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

She waited for a few minutes for her phone to beep but it did not.

“Hey. Jackson-ah… Are you still mad? Please forgive me. I’m really, really sorry.”

Still no reply.

“My prince Wang please. Don’t be mad at me anymore. Please answer me.”

Her phone still remained silent as a mouse. She was starting to tear up again. What had she done? What could she do to make Jackson forgive her? She couldn’t think of anything. Her tears started falling again but just then, the doorbell rang. She wiped her tears away, took three deep breaths and slowly made her way out, desperately hoping that it whoever it was would miraculously not notice her puffy red eyes. When she opened the gate, she froze in place. Jackson was standing in front of her, clothes dripping wet too. His face was etched with worry and his eyes were as puffy as mine. When he saw me, he broke to tears and fell to his knees

“I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.” He said in between sobs. “I can’t lose you. Please don’t be angry at me anymore.” He looked up at her with his face full of tears and sadness and she realized that she just stood there frozen the whole time, she didn’t realize she had also started crying. She made him stand again and looked deep into his eyes then said, “I’m the one who should be sorry. I’m so sorry for making you feel miserable. I don’t wanna lose you either.” Then he started to lean closer to her. Closer and closer until their faces were only a few inches apart. She knew for sure he was going to kiss her so she closed her eyes. But then the kiss never came. Instead, she was surprised to feel Jackson’s cold arms hugging her as close to him as he can but still holding her so gently, as if she was a fragile glass that would shatter into pieces if held too tightly. Her heart started beating at an abnormally fast rate again and a warm feeling started growing at the center of her body. She hugged Jackson back and held him as tightly as she could, as if he could disappear any moment. They stood like that for a while then Jackson whispered in Youngji’s ear, “I love you so much Heo Youngji. I swear I will love you and you alone now and forever.”

“I love you too, Wang Jackson. To infinity and beyond.”