.o6 Trap

The Hepburn Syndrome

The night went along successfully in Lynn’s opinion. Jongdae tried to explain the traditions that Tao loudly asked questions about, Fei Mao was finicky and wouldn’t pick a spot on anyone’s lap for a solid ten minutes, and Minseok and Lynn just sat in their chairs quietly observing and sharing a bottle of wine. They laughed softly at the two younger men bickering about the historical accuracy of the drama. 

After three episodes, it was edging close to midnight and Lynn knew that Fan would be contacting her soon. Sighing, she gathered herself up and picked up her sleeping cat from Jongdae’s lap. “You can keep the wine, darlings,” She stifled a yawn, “I don’t mind. It’ll find its way back over here anyways.” Tao let out a small laugh, the majority of his attention still on the screen playing the ending and preview of the next episode. 

“You sure you don’t want to watch another one before turning in?” Minseok asked. 

Lynn smiled and shook her head, “I would love to, really I would, but I’m awaiting a business call that could come early in the morning and I must be ready for it. It’s one of those time sensitive projects, you know.” She explained, and the boys nodded.

Adjusting her cat in her arms, she waved and bid a good night to the boys, heading towards the door. As she reached for the doorknob, it turned and she jumped back as it swung open to reveal the very man that she hadn’t spoken to directly for weeks. 

“Oh, uh... “ Luhan’s eyes widened, falling to the floor fast as he awkwardly shuffled in, “Hey there.” 

“Hello, Luhan.” Lynn responded. She wasn’t a rude person after all, but Fei Mao’s tail swished in warning as he eyed Luhan. 

“Leaving already? Usually you guys are watching the drama until the sun comes up.” He tried making conversation involving the others, toeing his shoes off and putting more space in between him and Lynn. It was laughable how he was acting, it was similar to a boy she knew in high school that after being turned down. He couldn’t be in the same room as her due to his pride. Men’s fragile egos never failed to amuse her. 

“Time sensitive business phone call. I need to be ready and I can always come over after it’s completed. I’ll need a break.” She repeated her excuse. 

“Oh. Okay. Cool…” Luhan trailed off, standing there in silence before scurrying off to the kitchen. 

Jongdae snorted softly. “He needs to apologize and get over it. You’re not going anywhere.” Lynn shrugged. 

“It’s quite alright darling, now, if you’ll excuse me, I really have loitered far too long over here and need to get to bed. Good night! We’ll have to have a marathon of this soon, I simply must know what happened to the second love interest!” She called over her shoulder, letting herself out and making the short walk across the hall to her own apartment. 

“Good night, jiejie!” Tao leaned out of the door, grinning. “See you tomorrow!” 

“Until then, darling. Don’t let them bully you out of drinking wine, you’re plenty old enough!” She teased, waving as she closed her door and Tao disappeared into his own apartment. Lynn placed Fei Mao on the couch and starting taking off her earrings and jewelry. 

“Fan can’t call soon enough.” She told her cat as she stepped into her bathroom, “I just want it to be over with so I can start adjusting…” She ed her blouse, shrugging it off and grabbing the hanger for it, heading to her closet and to hang up and change for bed. 
 

Riiiing. Riiiiiing. Riiiiiiiiiing. Riiiiiii--

“My God, what is that?” Lynn moaned, pushing up her eye mask and sitting up in bed. Seeing her phone light up the usually dark room, she groaned and reached for it, not even bothering to look at the name or the time.

Lynn didn’t hesitate to start complaining, “Do you know what ungodly hour it is--”

“Li, it’s Fan.” Immediately Lynn’s complaints and whines flew out of the window, and she straightened up in her bed, taking off her eye mask and listening intently to Fan.

“You found him?” She asked, getting out of bed and heading to the bathroom. 

A low chuckle came from the other end. “I always do. I suggest getting there fast though, it looks like Guo’s planning on leaving the country this morning.”

“What time, and where is he located now?” She asked, hurriedly getting dressed as she spoke, opening up a drawer to reveal her guns and ammo. 

“Over by Gangpu Road, near Dalian Port. Probably a cheap hideout before leaving.” Fan said, and Lynn cursed. “That’s far, and we don’t know when he’s leaving…” 

Fan responded after some clicking, “Take Shugang Road, it’ll take you right to the Port when you turn left when Dongbei and Shugang split.” 

Lynn nodded, “Alright, thanks Fan.”

“Of course Li… And please, be careful. Text when you’ve received the payment and I’ll send someone for you.” And with that, she hung up. Lynn placed her phone on the dresser as she finished zipping up her jacket and loading her gun as well as packing a few more rounds in her bag. Picking up her device, she took in a deep breath, looking at her room one last time before leaving. 

“I’ll be back before the sun rises, Fei Mao…” Lynn whispered, striding out the door and beginning her last job. 

Following Fan’s instructions took just over an hour and 19 minutes, Lynn noted, but the sun still wasn’t up and that gave her and her colleague the advantage. Lynn had recruited a trusted member of the Li family list by the name of Jin, a tall friendly man who knew his way around technology and handy with a gun… and he could drive. Just what Lynn needed on this job. Yeye told her to take no chances, and she wouldn’t. Jin was on the approved list, therefore nothing was illegal and it was clean business. 

“So go in, get the money, get out? Seems simple enough.” Jin noted, pulling his car into park. Lynn forced a nod. “That doesn’t mean let your guard down though. I’ve had a bad feeling about this job since Duizhang Li gave it to me.” 

Jin pulled his gun out, locking and loading it, “You’ve never steered me wrong on a mission, Lynn. Anything you say goes.” Lynn nodded, appreciating the boy’s support and trust. She needed that more than ever on this mission.

“You ready?” She placed her hand on the door’s handle, and when she got the confirming nod from Jin, out they went into the night, following the road’s path by the dim light the moon gave them. 

It took a bit longer to even reach the place that she knew Guo would be. She recognized the build of a few of his bodyguards patrolling the perimeter of the small bungalow of a hideout he was using, and she rolled her eyes. ‘Honestly, he should get better protection,’ she thought, reminded of the last time she was involved with Guo's bodyguards and how they were all taken out rather easily. Jin hidden atop of one of the buildings, sniper at the ready and connected to an earpiece in her ear. This was her job, and she couldn’t bear the thought of losing him to a stray bullet with her name on it.

“Careful, Lynn.” Jin’s voice was low and quiet, and she made a noise of agreement, mentally preparing herself before running past one of the guards and pressing herself against the dark side of the bungalow. Lynn went unnoticed, and her stomach lurched in nerves. 

“I hope my gut is wrong about this. Remember Jin, if something goes wrong, get to the car and if I’m not there in ten minutes, go.” Lynn reminded him. 

Jin’s sigh came through, “I will. Although--”

“No, Jin, ten minutes on the dot. If I ran I’m sure I’d be able to make it. So if not, don’t hesitate to take off.” She cut him off, lowering her voice as another one got closer and past by. She let out a shaky breath once he was out of range, swallowing her nerves. 

Lynn slid along the side of the hideout, keeping to the dark areas and heading towards the back door. She’d have the advantage this time, especially since Guo was looking to double cross the Triad from the looks of it. 

“Ready?” She asked, more to herself than to Jin, but with his quiet, “Whenever you are,” she unlocked the safety of her pistol, finger on the trigger and kicking the back door open, only to be shocked in the face of five people she didn’t know. 

“Welcome, Miss Lynn. We’ve been expecting you.” Guo’s voice came through as casual and pleasant as she was grabbed and pulled into the room. She struggled against the hold, trying to kick or use any kind of defense to her leverage to escape, but before she could get a grasp on her surroundings, she felt a pinch in her neck and her body fell limp and useless, unable to respond to what her brain wanted to do. 

“What did you do to me?” She demanded, being dropped in a chair and having her limbs bound to it, glaring at the smug, over confident Guo, who had made himself comfortable in the opposite of the of her, his own gun in hand. Lynn felt sick to her stomach, but tried to keep a brave face. She should’ve trusted her gut. 

When he just loomed over her, smug look still in place, she managed a growl. “I asked you a question, Guo, so answer me before I --”

Smack. The sensation hit before the realization did. Guo shook his left hand lightly, as if trying to rid of the sting left on the backside of his hand. Lynn leaned over in shock, putting her mental state back together and looked up when he finally spoke. 

“I’ve been wanting to do that for ages since you left me high and dry that last time,” He finally spoke, his tone angry, “And it’s not Guo, either. Name’s Lau Xianhua, ring a bell?” He sneered. 

She glared up at him, feeling her cheek burn, the hit would definitely leave a mark, “The Lau family’s first son. I thought you looked familiar, but then again you went by Henry the last time I saw you, and had a much better nose and jaw line if my memory serves me right.” 

He managed his own growl, his fist clenched, “How dare you, you have some gaul being tied up and useless and running your mouth like that --” Crack. This time, it was her nose, and now she was really mad. Feeling the warm rush starting to drip out of her nostril, Lynn tried to look as nonchalant as possible. He didn’t know her, so the chances of him falling for it were high.

“Sorry. I didn’t know there was proper etiquette for being a hostage, if that’s what I am.” Lynn looked at him expectantly. 

He laughed, “You think I’m going to keep you alive for that long? I’m making an example out of you to the Triad family, like I did with all the others. For years my family has been planning on overthrowing the Triad, and you’re just the beginning.” 

“You’re going after a messenger?” Lynn scoffed, shaking her head, “That’s the best you can do? You’re not getting much of a reaction if that’s the case.” 

Lau grabbed her by her hair, causing her to cry out as he pulled roughly towards him, his eyes dangerous, “But that’s not all you are, is it, Li Lynn?” With that, she froze, her eyes flitting to him as if trying to figure out if she could bluff out of it or not. He scoffed this time, shoving her over and to the floor, her head knocking against the concrete and starting a throb that was sure to bruise. 

“You think I’m stupid, you think everyone is stupid, but no one’s going to keep their mouths shut forever about something like this. It’s biding its time, and after our last exchange, I knew it was true.” Lau explained, aiming a kick at her stomach, and at this point, Lynn stopped resisting mentally, letting the pain course through her veins. 

“I can’t wait to release this, the hidden heir of the Li Family.” Lau laughed, congratulating himself, “What a controversy and uprising this will cause. The Li’s hiding an heir, posing a non-related family member as their own?” 
Lynn’s hand clenched into fists, her teeth gritted. Mingi was as good as family to her, to the entire Li family, but he was right. Mingi wasn’t actually Li blood. If it were to get out… Chaos. The Lis might lose everything. She could lose Mingi.

And that was certainly not an option. Lynn discreetly attempted to struggle once more against her binds, the tingling from her limbs regaining feeling and motion finally processing over all the pain. She glanced up, her blood running cold as she saw Lau readying a gun. If she didn’t do something fast, she’d be dead and no one would be able to warn Yeye and Mingi of what was really going on.

“What made you think that Mingi and I were switched?” She challenged, gaining Lau’s attention. He scoffed. 

“It wasn’t exactly easy, given your… looks.” He rolled his eyes, making her temper flare once more, “But every time there was an important deal with minimal danger, you’d be the person in charge, with more backup than necessary. A little strange, a dealer with so much protection?” He loaded a single bullet in the cartridge. Of course, men were so sure of their winning, Lynn rolled her eyes even in the tense time. 

“So I did some digging. It was pretty easy after getting a mole into your ranks.” Lynn’s eyes widened at that. A mole in the Li ranks? That must have been what was causing all of the trouble. She had to get out --

A of the gun made her realize that she didn’t have the time anymore. He wasn’t going to let her live much longer. Again, she tried to twist her arms, trying to find a loose bind that she could use to break out and have a chance at escaping. 

Lau lifted the gun, inspecting it once more before squatting down to where Lynn was still laying down on the floor, grabbing her hair and roughly pulling it once more, bringing her back upright, the gun against her forehead. 

“I’d want to save your face, but it won’t matter once you’re dead.” Lau grinned, cocking his head to the side as he took one last look. “Rot in hell, Lau.” She spat. If she was going to die here, she’d die with insulting and cursing the man to hell and back. 

“Oh no, you go first and tell me how it is.” He mocked, finger on the trigger.

Lynn braced herself for death. 


An update gift for you all ~~~ I've been so busy with life and figuring things out, as well as replacing my computer and searching my harddrives for my writing...  but here you go! hope you enjoy seeing the new twist to the first arch of the story :) Happy Friday and Happy Reading ~ Smile