Forelsket

Countless Stars In The Sky

Forelsket: An ineffable euphoria you experience when you are first falling in love

--

Since their first meeting, there was never a day that Wayne had never thought about Pets. Her image filled his mind all the time. He find himself smiling just at the thought of her smiling face. No other girl had this effect on him.

"Maybe this is what Jiro is feeling when I mention Emily's name to him..." he thought. Unlike him, who could get any girl he likes to like him as well, Jiro was the shy one. While he can openly pursue a girl, his older brother had his reservations.

He sat up on his bed. For the first time in his life, he love the feeling he have right now. If this is love, then he wants to stay this way. He never wanted to be with anyone as much as he wants to be with Pets. For the first time in his life, he had decided to be serious to a girl.

"I have to see her again..." he decided.

--

"Hey, can I borrow that DVD on the Greek art documentary? I need to make a paper about it." Yu Fei told Pets as they were walking towards the school gate. "Sure, I'll bring it tomorrow. Have you passed the last project for Ms. Zhou's class?" Pets asked. Yu Fei shook her head. "Haven't started on it. You want to work on it this Saturday? Maybe you could also help me with my paper." Yu Fei suggested. Pets nodded smiled at her friend. "Sounds like a plan."

Just then, Yu Fei stopped walking. Pets saw her staring at something - or someone. "Fei?" she called. Yu Fei pointed by the gate. She looked at the date, and saw Wayne standing there, as if waiting for someone. "Wayne Wang's here!" Yu Fei exclaimed. "He must be here for some business matters." Pets said.

They continued to walk towards the gate. After a while, Wayne spotted them. He waved at them, and Yu Fei waved back at him. Then, he walked towards them. "Hi girls." Wayne said, "Hello, Mr. Wang. Fancy seeing you here again!" Yu Fei said giddily. Wayne then turned to Pets. "Hi, Pets. Are you free right now?" he asked.

Pets looked at Yu Fei, then looked back at Wayne. "I guess so. We're headed home to take a rest before the big finals the next few days." Pets said. "Then, can I drive you girls home? Maybe we can have a snack along the way. My treat." Wayne said.

Before Pets could answer, Yu Fei had already spoke up for the two of them. "That's so nice of you, Mr. Wang. We'd love to." Yu Fei said. Wayne smiled at Yu Fei. "Please, just call me Wayne. I'm not that old." he said. Yu Fei let out a giggle. "All right, Wayne. So, shall we?" she said. Wayne nodded his head. "Let's go." 

--

Pets found themselves sitting in a small coffee shop a few blocks away from the school. She was listening to Yu Fei telling Wayne about their plans for graduation. "More travelling for me right after graduation. then I'll take my Masters degree in London. I'd love to see Finland this season.I heard the northern lights there are amazing." Yu Fei said. Pets stirred her cup of coffee as she listened to her best friend. She knew about this plan of hers right from the start - to travel to Finland to see the northern lights. It has always been Yu Fei's dream. As she always say, she's ready to die once she sees the northern lights. 

"How about you, Pets? What's your plan after graduation?" Pets heard Wayne ask.She was taken aback by his question. Surely, she knew she would have to get a job after graduation, but a solid plan is something she doesn't have as of the moment. "Are you planning to take your Master's degree as well?" Wayne asked again. "Actually, I..."

She looked at Yu Fei for help. Her best friend simplysmiled at her. "I have no plans as grand as Yu Fei does..." her voice faltered. She was somewhat embarrassed by that admission. "I'm sure you'll figure out what you want to do someday." Wayne said. "I do hope so..." Pets said, giving him a shy smile. "Ah, Pets! Will you continue your volunteer work after graduation?" Yu Fei asked. Wayne gave Pets and Yu Fei as puzzled look. "Volunteer?"

Pets nodded her head. "Everyday, I usually do a volunteer work at the orphanage. I teach the children how to draw, how to make art, the likes." she said. As she was talking about her volunteer work, Wayne could see her face lighten up and her eyes sparkle. "Right now, the kids and I are making a big project for one of the new buildings at the orphanage. They are really happy to be able to do something beautiful to their home." she added. "Seems like you really love what you do there, huh?" Wayne asked. Pets nodded her head. "I love kids. And I love teaching them. I love seeing them making beautiful things with their small hands." she said. 

As she finished talking, she noticed Wayne and Yu Fei looking at her and smiling,asif they discovered something. "What?" she asked in a confused tone. "Pets, my dear," Yu Fei said. "I think you just found what you want to do with your life."

Wayne nodded his head in agreement. "What do you mean?" she asked, still confused. "You know, your volunteer experience can be a good thing if you do want to teach in school. If you want, I can help you apply for a teaching job in St. Margaret." Wayne volunteered. Pets shook her head. "I don't think that would be necessary, Wayne. If I get a job, I want them to hire me because of my abilities." she said. 

Wayne couldn't help but smile at her answer. The more that he gets to know her, the more that he is falling in love with her. She was very different from the girls he met before. He was right that there was more to her than her pretty face. Other girls would take advantage of his connections when he make sich offers, but Pets turned his offer down. 

"Well then, if you needed help in getting a job, just let me know. I'm very much willing to help." Wayne said. Pets nodded her head. 

--

Wayne went down to the basement the moment he got home. He found Jiro having a drink by the bar. "Long day at work, bro?" he asked as he approached him. Jiro sighed and nodded his head. "That board meeting is a gruelling battle, I tell you Wayne." Jiro complained. Wayne could only laugh at him. "This is what you wanted, right? Then don't complain." Wayne said. With that, Jiro let out a laugh. "How about you? You sure had a really important date that you opted out of the board meeting today." Jiro asked. Wayne could only smile at him. "It was a great first date." he replied. "First date?" Jiro asked in a puzzled tone. "You mean, there will be a second date with this girl?"

"And a third, and a fourth. Until the day she finally becomes my girl, and ultimately, my wife."

Jiro almost choked on his drink with what Wayne said. "Wait, what? Wife? Are you really serious about  this girl?" he asked. He was surprised to find that Wayne was already thinking of having a serious relationship with a girl that he just met. Wayne simply nodded his head. "I've told you before, she's different. She's unlike any girl I've ever met. And you know what, the more I get to know her, the more that I'm falling in love with her. Jiro, I'm really serious this time. I think she's the one for me." Wayne said with a serious tone.