Desiderium

Countless Stars In The Sky

Desiderium: A longing or ardent desire as for something once possessed and now missed; pain or regret on account of loss or absence.

--

"Hi!"

A younger boy said in a sing-song tone as he approached the lonely little girl by the swing. "I'm new here. What's your name?" he asked. The little girl simply stared at him. Then, she slowly lowered her head, and clutched tightly on the teddy bear she was holding. "My name is Da Dong. Can we be friends?" he asked again. Still, there was no answer from the little girl.

He was somehow getting frustrated. Seems like the little girls doesn't like him, or even want to be friends with him. "Da Dong..." he heard someone calling him. He looked back and saw one of the nuns approaching him. "Please bear with her. Lei Ting does not speak." the nun said. He just nodded his head, finally understanding her condition. "She has been like that since she came to this place. You have to be really patient with her, all right?" the nun said. "I will, Sister Dulce." Da Dong said.

After the nun left, he sat beside her on the swing. "You don't have to be scared of me, I don't bite." he said. This time, the little girl looked up at him. "Can we be friends? I promise to be really nice to you." he said. The little girl nodded her head slowly. He gave out a toothy smile, and then held her hand as they sat on the swing.

--

Jiro walked towards the balcony that night. Just like the nights before, he looked up at the sky, and searched for the brightest star he could find. "Starlight, star bright, frist star I see tonight..." he said. Then, he let out a sigh. "Wish I may, wish I might, have my wish come true tonight..."

While other people would simply star gaze, or make a wish on the star, for him, it was different. As he looked up at the brightest star, he says a prayer for her - that may she always be safe wherever she is. He knows it would be difficult for him to find her now, but he always wishes her well.

Fifteen years ago, when Gordon Wang adopted him to part of their, he was told never to look back at his past anymore. That means never looking for her, even forgetting about her totally. No one should know that he was adopted, and this is a secret he carefully kept. Worst thing that happened after he left the orphanage, a fire broke, burning everything into ashes. No one survived that fire. Even her.

He remembered locking himself to him room, crying for his loss. She wasn't just a friend, she was a sister she never had, and has always wanted. She followed him around like his shadow, but it never bothered him. He liked being with her, protecting her and caring for her. She was the only family he knew. When he left her to have a new life, he never thought God would take her away from him that soon.

He should have not left her behind, and that was his biggest regret. He should have begged the old man to take her with him. The day he left, was the day he first heard her speak. He could still hear her crying voice echoing from hims mind as she cried for him.

He felt a tear roll down at the corner of his eye. Just thinking of his past. He knew he could not come back and change it. He is where he is now, and no matter how much he wishes to the stars, he knew he could never bring it back. He knew he will never be able to see Lei Ting again. But if he would be given another chance to be with her, he'll never ever leave her again.

--

As the lights where turned off, Lei Ting silently got out of her bed. She tiptoed towards the window and looked outside. "Lei Ting, what are you doing?" she heard a sleepy voice calling behind her. She looked back, and saw her big brother coming towards her. She simply pointed outside the window. Da Dong looked up to where she is pointing, and saw the stars. "You like to look at the stars?" he asked. She nodded her head.

Da Dong carried Lei Ting so that she could have a better look at the stars. "Sister Mary told us a while ago that you can wish upon a star, right? Do you want to make a wish?" he asked. Lei Ting nodded her head. "What's your wish, Lei Ting?" he asked again.

Lei Ting looked at him, then gave him a hug. Da Dong let out a smile as she hugged him. Though there are no words spoken, he already know what her wish is. It was the same wish that he had, and that is for the two of them to never part.

--

"Thank you for your generosity, Mr. Wang. I know the kids will be happy with your donation to us."

Sister Celestine told Jiro, as they were walking through the hallway of the Immaculate Conception Hospice. Ever since he started working, he alloted most of his money donating to orphanages. For him, it was a way to make up for his past, and to give back the kindness of the nuns who took him in. "I'm always glad to help out. I want to make sure the kids would have everything they need." he answered. "You would be happy to know that the kids are doing a little project for the classroom you help build." the nun said. "What are they doing?" he inquired. The elder nun gave him a warm smile. "It's still a surprise. You see, we have a new volunteer teacher, and she's helping and guiding the kids with it."

Jiro simply smiled at the nun. "Whatever their surprise is, I can't wait to see it." he said. "Oh, I'm pretty sure you would be happy to see their little surprise."

"So you said there's a new volunteer teacher?"

Sister Celesting nodded her head. "She's a talented young woman who teaches the kids arts and crafts. All of them love her so much. She first came here for a school project, but she later grew to love this institution, so she dedicated much of her time here."

"It's good to know that there are other people who are willing to help in their own little ways."

"Indeed. Time is the greatest present anyone could give. With her spending quality time with the children, it's more than enough."

Jiro nodded his head in agreement. "Shall we go this way, Mr. Wang?" the nun asked. Jiro followed her through.

Meanwhile, Pets and the children just came out of the classroom.  "Oh! Mr. Santa Claus is here!" Toby, one of her students, exclaimed. He then pointed to the man that Sister Celestine is with. "He doesn't look like Santa Claus!" Elsa, another one of her student, pouted. "He's too thin to be Santa Claus. And he's more handsome!" 

"When I grow up, I'm going to marry him." Lisa said dreamily. Pets could only laugh at how the kids react to the benefactor. "Ms. Pets, have you met him, Mr. Santa Claus?" Toby asked. Pets shook her head. "I haven't met him. I don't have the chance to do so." she replied. "You should meet him, teacher. He's nice and handsome!" Lisa said. "Maybe one day if Sister Celestine have time. But for now, let's go and finish up that mural, OK?" she said. The kids gleefully agreed.

--

He stood before the empty lot. He remembered not so long ago, a small house stood still in this place. That is, until that event that happened that night, twenty years ago. As he closed his eyes, he could still here her cries. He could still hear her pleading for her life, and that for her husband's. That night, he fled. It was an order, an instruction that he had to follow. That night, he ran as far as he could, never turning back to see what had happened. All he knew is that night, his sister had died.

"Slowly, you know your plans are coming to life." An elder man said, appearing to his side. "Yes. I couldn't wait." he answered blluntly. "All of these years, I have taught you everything you need to know. I gave you all the resources you need. This time, it's your turn to do it on your own." He simply nodded his head.

He stared at the burnt part of the lot. That was where the small house once stood. That was where she died.

"Jie..." he said to himself. "It won't be that long. I will avenge your death."