Stjerneklart

Countless Stars In The Sky

Stjerneklart - a dark, quiet and clear sky in which the night is filled and illuminated only by stars; starlit

--

 

"Ge ge!"

It was the first time she had spoken after so many years, much to the surprise of the nun holding her. "Ge ge!" she cried again. Tears flowed through her cheeks as she watches the taller boy walk away from her. She tried to run after him, but the nun stopped her.

As he looked back, tears fell from his eyes at the mere sight of her crying. If only he could take her where he is going, he would, but it would be impossible. He let go of the hand he was holding, and ran back to her. He then hugged her tight, as if never letting her go. He knew this will be the last time he will be able to embrace her. If he could, he would bottle up his memory of her and keep it forever.

"Be a brave girl, OK?" he said, trying his best not to cry. "Ge ge won't be here anymore, but I will always remember you."

"Ge ge..."

"Remember this. When you look up in the sky and you see the brightest star, remember that I'm looking at that star too. And through that star, I will be looking after you. I will be looking after you through that star until the time I can come back for you." he said. The little girl nodded her head. He slowly let her go, and walked away from her. As he walked towards the orphanage's door, he knew his life will be forever changed. Right that second he stepped out, he knew that he eventually have to forget everything in his past - including her.

 

--

 

Fifteen Years Later...

He walked towards the balcony and looked up at the sky. Hiseyes stared at the brightest star in the sky. He let out a faint smile as he looked at it. "Do you still remember my promise? I am looking at the star now..." he said to himself. "I am looking after you after all these years..."

The smile slowly faded as he remembered his last day at the orphanage. God knows how much he wanted to come back for her, but he was forbidden to go back to the orphanage. "I should have come back for you, but I can't... I'm sorry..." he said apologetically. He looked up again, and tried to smile. "Wherever you are, I wish you are well. And I wish that one day, our paths will cross again..."

 

She stared outside the window, looking at the brightest star she could find. She doesn't know why, but it has been a habit of hers at night to look for the brightest star. "What are you thinking about?" she heard someone say. She looked beside her, and found her sister sitting beside her. "Nothing. I'm just looking at the birghtest star."

"Why do you always have that habit. Ever since we were young, you always look out at the window to stare at the brightest star. I think they all look the same."

She simply smiled at her. "I wish I could answer that. But you know..." she then looked outside the window. "I feel safe whenever I look at the brightest star."