Naturally

Naturally

They had the most underrated friendships that had ever become known to man. Too underrated to the point that people thought of them fictional. It wasn’t all that bad. Maybe, it was actually good for them. Going out together unworried of stalkers that would make up stories that would link them to each other. Then the thrill would’ve been gone for them, and become just like every other young showbiz friends. Drifting apart in time.

Maybe, they were far too private even for idols. When the cameras are gone, they keep to themselves. Setting off on their own to somewhere quiet, intimate and typical but never garnering attention to their selves.

Somewhere in between the many rehearsals, touring, night outs and food trips, Changmin had come to a realization that he had more for this girl than just these make-do dinners of Starbucks Sandwiches and McDonald’s Hot Fudge Sundaes.
He could do more for her, he knows that, but the thing is that he wants to be the only one who would cater to Sooyoung.


He spends a free day lunch at the agency’s rehearsal room waiting for the girl. And as soon as she steps out, he stands up and smiles brightly at her. Maybe it was just he, but there was always that faint tint of a blush running on her cheeks when he surprises her with anything.

There was that time when he brought her a pack of almond m&m’s just because he wants to.

That time when she had blatantly asked him to give her his lunch, turns out he’d intended that large double cheese burger meal for her, in the first place.

Plus, that one event at the airport when he had given her a decorative cake when they were first going to Japan for promotions.

All the other times they’d spent during weird hours of the day to escape and just spend time because it always made them feel better.


He confesses to her one mid-afternoon break at Starbucks. She stares back, mouth agape for about a few seconds and then smiles blissfully. She asks him to have a bite from her Roasted Chicken and ake Mushroom Pesto Sandwich, saying it’s the best Starbucks meal for an excuse.

Sooyoung never shares food, and here she is, telling him she loves him too with the other half of her food.


It was weird at first, when it was only beginning to sink in that they were pretending to be contented of being just friends when it all began. But it didn’t hurt them to take time.


Of course, they’d tell their band mates and family about it. Some of them acted surprised, most of them had that ‘I thought so’ look on their faces when they wished them happiness and a good, healthy relationship.

She smiles when she puzzled out that all this time, people who knew them most were just waiting for her and Changmin to figure it out themselves, and thankful that they didn’t force a rush on them.


Changmin takes her out on a real date that one day they were both free from schedules. That was exactly two hundred and three days since they got together. A fine afternoon breeze was blowing through the city when they met up at Fully Booked. It was cool and relaxed, just like how they are with each other.

She sees him and walks briskly, meeting his lips halfway for a sweet, innocent kiss.
Holding her slender hand in his warm palm, they walk to his car and head to a café in the outskirts of the city.

The place wasn’t shabby, it was probably discreet as they are. Only a couple of other customers were there when they stepped in. They spent hours talking, catching up, telling each other how they feel about things in the past, the now and what they want to explore in the future. It felt great.

She tells him, with a little bit of hesitation, that she’d love if they never drastically change how they treat each other. Because it was enough to know that only Changmin has the right to do anything for her, because it was Changmin who was the important part of the whole picture of them together.

Blueberry cheesecake. She tells him. And Changmin gets teased for blushing at her answer. What about me? She asks in turn.

Pizza. He says. Sloppy and unhealthy. She hits her on the head with her purse but couldn’t stifle a laugh at all. No, I’m just kidding. But really, pizza.

They drive home at sunset, watching the clouds go a darker shade in every passing second. That the same as the sun that sets beyond the horizon are the conversations and moments they’ve had that would always remain a secret to everyone else.


He glows. It was undeniable he was at his peak. And when one interview asks how he’s been and if he ever has a girlfriend, he doesn’t hesitate and says, “Yes,” with a smile and that tinge of longing in his eyes to see take her out on a date again.


The less people involved in the growth of a relationship make it far stronger than others’. Its not words uttered that guarantees a lasting love but the ability to always see through each other without having to say anything and being comfortable with that. Because aside from love, faith and trust. There is something else that binds them together that nobody else sees as a treasure the way they do – friendship.


Changmin never forgot that stupid conversation in the next months that passed, that had turned into a couple of years and then more.

“Why would you want to be compared to food?” He asks.

“Because it makes people happy. Okay, I’ll go first. To me you’re like Blueberry Cheesecake.”

Changmin knows very well it’s her all time favorite comfort food. He blushes at the thought of being possibly that.

“What about me?”

“Pizza. Sloppy and unhealthy.” He was sure his arms might be a little bruised at her surprisingly strong hits but he doesn’t care. “No, I’m just kidding. But really, pizza.”

She doesn’t need to be told that it would always make him happiest.