The Fourth Encounter

When You See Death

There is a loud blaring resonating through the entire building on Saturday morning. You groan, trying to block out the sound but it is too loud. You sigh as you sit up in annoyance. As you comb your unkempt hair in an attempt to make it presentable, you wear your slippers and leave the apartment. At the same time, Kai is coming out of his apartment, his shirt sticking to his body because of his sweat. His hair is in clumps and he is shining with the perspiration on his skin. He must have just gotten back from a run.

"Hey," Kai drawls, taking in your appearance. You grunt in reply and he laughs. "Sleepy?"

"Very," you mumble, stumbling a little as you guys walk towards the lift.

Kai holds your forearm tightly. He wraps his arm around your waist, securely keeping you from falling. Everyone on your floor is waiting for the lift. Your head drops onto Kai's arm and you feel him pressing you closer. In the cramped lift, Kai holds you even tighter, your face buried in his chest. You groan, your face moist because of his sweat.

He chuckles, "Sorry."

You shake your head tiredly, "It's okay."

Everyone is standing outside the building when you reach the ground floor. You join them as well. Kai's chest rumbles. You want to look up at what the others are staring at. As if sensing it, Kai turns you in his arms, pasting your front to his so that he is embracing you. There isn't any space between the both of you.

"You don't wanna see it," Kai mumbles in your ear. "Trust me."

"But—"

Suddenly people are screaming and a loud thud is heard. All the while, Kai has his arms around you, his head bent so that his cheek is pressed against your ear and a hand on the other. Even though the noises are muffled, you could still hear everyone's screams. You are curious but judging from the ballistic screams and sobs, you find yourself shutting your eyes tightly and hugging Kai back in an attempt to shut the sounds out. The wails of an ambulance and police car sirens are heard and people are ushered back home.

Kai turns his head and murmurs into your ear, "We can go back in. Do you wanna stay over at my place for a bit?" You nod. "Come on."

You follow him back, tears falling from your eyes unknowingly. You don't know how you got to Kai's apartment but you eventually got there. He lays you on his bed, promising that he will be out soon after he showers. You can't sleep and you almost want to look out the window to see what actually happened. Kai's shower is quick and when he comes out, he sits on the bed next to you. He wipes your tears, brushing your hair out of your face.

"What happened, Kai?" You find yourself asking quietly. Your voice is the complete opposite of your heartbeat. But you are pretty sure your heart is thudding so fast in your chest only because of what had happened and not because of Kai's actions.

"You really wanna know?" You nod even though you're not sure if that's want you really want. "Someone committed suicide," Kai mumbled quietly.

"Everyone saw it?"

You are silently crying. You don't even know why. Maybe it is the thought of someone else taking their own life. Or maybe the thought that someone has to do this in order to end the pain or unhappiness in his life while you enjoy yours.

"Except you," he mumbles, lifting his shirt to dab on your tears. His tee smells of his detergent and a scent you would associate with clouds. It is as comforting as it is disconcerting right now.

"Kai..." You cry.

"Shhh..." He shushes, laying on the bed to bring you to him. You clutch onto his shirt, your skin tingling and your nerves alive at the intimacy. "It was bound to happen anyway."

"It's horrible."

"Go back to sleep, angel," Kai murmurs, treading comforting fingers through your hair. "I'll be right here when you wake up."

"No, it's okay—"

"I want to be here with you," he tells you. "Now, sleep."

 

 

When you wake up again, Kai has an arm around your shoulders as he uses his phone in the other. You are laying on his chest comfortably. You suddenly don't want to get up. Kai glances at you, smiling when he sees that you are awake. He locks his phone and sets it down on the bedside table.

"How do you feel?" He questions, his hand rubbing your shoulder comfortingly. You shrug in reply. "Good. Are you hungry?"

"I don't want microwave food," you mutter.

Kai chuckles, shaking his head. "I have cereal if you want. Or we can call for delivery."

"I want Chinese food," you tell him.

He nods, getting his phone again and looking for a Chinese restaurant online. You move up so that your head sits in the crook of his neck and against his cheek as you look at the menu together. When the both of you are sure on what to order, he calls the number and you turn to watch him, your nose in his cheek.

"Hi..." Kai mumbles into the phone. "I'd like to order for delivery?" He drops his gaze on you, staring into your eyes. He informs the person on the other line his address and goes on to order the food. "That would be all." You turn your head again, placing your cheek on his chest. "Sure, thank you."

Kai shifts you in his arms and you sigh contentedly. You've missed cuddling with someone like this. Not to mention, snuggling up with Kai is making you feel really alive. You feel his breath on your head and you timidly tangle your legs with his. He freezes for a nanosecond before moving his legs to wound them around yours in an even more intricate manner.

Kai makes a pained sound that is so soft that you wonder how you could have heard it. You rub his chest gently, "You alright?"

He groans again, burying his face into your hair as he almost cries, "This is so hard."

"What's so hard?"

"This," he murmurs, nudging your head with his nose. "Us. Everything."

"What do you mean 'us'...?" Your heart is thudding so hard in your chest and you feel a lump in your throat.

Kai sighs, holding you closer. "I... I don't know... I just..."

With every ounce of strength and courage you have in you, you push your upper body up and press your lips against his. You just hope he returns the act. Kai does, after gathering his wits. He tilts his head, shaping his lips to fit yours and you have never felt a more perfect pair of lips than his. It feels like every curve and and dip of your lips are covered fully and fittingly by his own. His fingers are entangled in your hair, pushing you closer to him. You moan into the kiss, cupping his jawline.

He pulls away gently, his eyes still shut as he breathes out unevenly with an open mouth. He sighs, dropping his head to place his forehead onto yours. "This is bad, angel... This is bad."

"Why?" You swallow, hoping and wishing this badness isn't because of you.

"I— I'm not supposed to like you." Of course it has to be because of you. But wait... Not supposed to?

"What do you mean—"

"It means I'm doomed," Kai groans, pulling you closer. "I'm doomed because I like you."

There is a beat of silence as you try to contain yourself. The only thing you hear is the thudding of your little organ in your chest. You wonder if Kai can hear it.

You whisper, "I think I like you too."

"You think?" He chuckles. You're not sure if the crack in his voice is real or if it is just your hearing.

"Maybe if I kiss you again—" He immediately comes closer, his lips against yours. You let out a contented sigh.

But the kiss is broken as quickly as it started due to the doorbell ringing. Kai groans, throwing his head back. He regretfully entricates himself from your limbs, swinging his legs over the mattress. You watch him walk over to the table and get his wallet before he leaves the room. You sigh, dropping your head back on the pillow as a big smile creeps onto your lips. You like him. You like Kai. And Kai definitely likes you back.

You were drowning in your thoughts for a few minutes when you start thinking if Kai is okay. He's been taking an long time for someone who is just paying and collecting his food. You climb out of bed, leaving the bedroom. Kai's back is facing you, blocking your view of the delivery man as he holds the door open.

"Kai," you call out, making him turn to you. He seems angry. "Is everything okay...?"

When you reach him, you see that his grasp on the door is so hard that his knuckles are white. You turn to look at the outsider. When your eyes meet his, your eyebrows are furrowed.

Baekhyun?

"B-Baekhyun oppa," you blink several times, making sure that it really is him.

"What are you doing here with him, kitten?" He demands, his voice hard and accusing.

"We're neighbours," you mumble, feeling and small with the two hostile men.

"Neighbours?" Baekhyun scoffs, glaring at the other male. "Is that really what you are? Just neighbours?"

"Do you guys know each other...?" You look between the both of them inquisitively. They are glaring at each other with hatred.

"Oh, yeah," Baekhyun answers sarcastically. "In fact, I know him so well that I know he is bad news." He holds out a hand as he gazes at you with his usual gentle look, "Come here, kitten."

Kai snorts, "I'd say the same thing about you, Byun Baekhyun. What makes you think you're better news than I am?"

The man standing outside opens his mouth, about to blast his mouth off at Kai when someone else walks into view. He is carrying a plastic bag. He stops beside Baekhyun, reading the note in his hand again before smiling obliviously at the three of you.

"Delivery for Chinese food?"

 

 

You are sitting in between the two guys. It is awkward as hell and the tension in the air is almost too much for you to breathe. You clear your throat and stuff your face with food. Kai isn't eating, being too engrossed in glaring at the other male.

"Kai," you sigh softly, rubbing his arm. "Can you eat?"

"I don't have the appetite," he snaps. His eyes rounds, as if he cannot believe he had just snapped at you. He holds your hand, squeezing it. "I'm sorry, it's just that—"

"No, it's fine, Kai," you smile, glancing at Baekhyun who is scrutinising the way both of you interact. "Just eat a little, you haven't had anything to eat today."

"You were with him the entire day?" Baekhyun scoffs. You furrow your eyebrows when he spits at Kai like he is talking to a vermin, "What do you have up your sleeve, you dirtbag?"

"I offered her my bed when she had just witnessed a suicide. I offered her my arms when she cried, I offered myself to her to keep her warm," Kai tells Baekhyun in a leveled tone. He his head to the side, "What do I have up my sleeve other than caring for her like how a gentleman should to a girl he likes?"

"You like her?" Baekhyun looks appalled, his face showing it. He glances at your red face, his question soft and careful, "Do you like him too?"

"I think so..." You flush even more. Then you look up at Kai, who is staring at you with gentle eyes. You correct yourself, "I do."

"Well," Kai speaks up authoritatively. "You heard her. Can you leave now?"

"No," Baekhyun crosses his leg over the other as he leans back on the cushion, settling comfortably though his stay isn't welcomed by the owner of the house.

"Why not?" Kai rolls his eyes, trying hard not to burst out in frustration.

Baekhyun smiles his charming smile at you as he winks, "Because I like her too."

 

 

"Sehun, I'm having a bad day... Will you come over?"

Sehun doesn't need to be told twice. Whenever you call him over, he knows it is important. Because you never like having him around when you don't need him. Not that it thwarts him from bugging you and staying over anyway. When Sehun enters your apartment with his spare key, you get up from the sofa and jump on him, embracing him. He takes you in his arms.

"What happened?" He asks, rubbing your back comfortably.

"Kai and Baekhyun..." You mumble. "Can you carry me to bed?" Sehun doesn't say anything, but he starts walking to your bedroom. He puts you on the mattress but you won't let him go. "Sleep with me?"

"Can I change?" He chuckles, praying your hands away from his neck.

You watch Sehun take off his jeans and climb into bed with his boxers and shirt. He lays close next to you. You snuggle closer to him, desperate for someone to hold you. Sehun pulls you close to him.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on?" He asks against your hair. "What did Kai and Baekhyun do to my princess?"

"They told me they like me."

Sehun doesn't say anything for a moment before he asks incredulously, "What?"

"Kai and Baekhyun. They like me."

"And you're upset about that?" He pulls his head away to get a better look at you. He is staring at you like you're crazy.

"No," you shake your head slowly. "I like Kai. But I think I might like Baekhyun too..."

"And...?" Sehun always knows when you want to say more.

"And they seem to hate each other."

"They knew each other?" Sehun is as surprised as you were.

You nod, "They didn't tell me how they knew each other. And I didn't dare ask because they were so mad at each other."

"Was it like a territorial issue?" Sehun guesses. "Guys get really defensive when it comes to the girl they like. Maybe that's why—"

"No," you disagree only because you were there. And you saw how they were. "No, Sehun. It's much more than that. Much, much more."