Part Three: The First Impression

In Between the Grey

 

Daehyun rubbed his eyes and groaned softly. The morning sunlight had found its way to his room, the warm and gleaming rays prodding the sleep out of him. He turned around in his bunk, trying to hide from the mighty sun with no avail. He finally gave up and opened his eyes, only to lie on his back. Scanning the still-foreign ceiling.

It has been four days already, but the sight of the gray ceiling –and the seemingly unlimited amount of wires dangling from it— still hadn’t been the slightest familiar.

He took a deep breath and released it slowly.

It has been four days already, he thought, four days since he came and joined the rebels’ military base.

“Hyung, wake up already....”

He shifted his gaze to find a wet towel being thrown at him. He attempted to catch it but the towel was now laying casually on his face. He abruptly removed it and thrown it back to the owner, who was just laughing.

“Stop it already Jongup!”

The said man just smiled at him. He was his new roommate, or to be exact, Daehyun is Jongup’s new roommate –since it was originally Jongup’s room.

 “You go wash your face, breakfast is in ten minutes...” Daehyun gave him a small groan but wake up nonetheless. In the short amount of Daehyun’s stay, both had become a good friend to one another. Jongup had been extra nice to Daehyun, answering his curious questions and showing him around. Daehyun honestly couldn’t imagine himself without Jongup’s help in this new environment. Because Youngjae –the one who ever SO KINDLY inviting him in the first place— was nowhere to be found.

He quickly went to the small bathroom, washing his face. When he was back, Jongup was busily fumbling with his customized gun –a  sight which was not particularly strange in this place. But still, it made Daehyun grimace. The thought of having this gullible and smiley young man shooting people to death gave him goosebumps.

“Let’s go.” Daehyun finally said. Jongup put his gun back to his drawer before following Daehyun outside.

By now, Daehyun had remembered the path to most of the public room like the cafeteria (where most of the occupant had their meal in an assigned hour), the infirmary, the weapon room, and the practice rooms. The base was a huge building, around twenty floors with hundreds of rooms –from the small bedroom to the very large helicopter hangar—. Around two hundred people lived here nowadays, the other rebels were scattered around the districts, settling in smaller bases.

It was a run-down skyscraper, Jongup had said to him once. He said that the building was used to be much taller –having around one hundred floors– and very beautiful. But something had happened to it, maybe an earthquake or another war. No one really knows.

“So, how about your interview?” Jongup said curiously. Daehyun had almost forgotten about the interview. Apparently, one couldn’t just pop up to the base and join the movement. They need to be interviewed by the ‘higher-ups’. Jongup said that it was to avoid any spy infiltrating their base. And even though Daehyun had come in the favor of one of their member, the condition still applied.

“I don’t know...” Daehyun said honestly. “Never been to something like this.”

He gave a weak smile and Jongup patted his shoulder reassuringly. “Just answer it honestly, you’ll be okay....”

Well, he hoped so. He didn’t really have anywhere else to go.

__________________________________________

 

When they walked into the cafeteria, it was already crowded. They were in the middle of looking for a seat when a tall teenager suddenly waved at them excitedly, signaling to come over.

“Junghong-ah, thanks!” They beamed at the energetic boy. The tall teenager is Junhong, Jongup’s best friend and Daehyun only other friend.

“Nah, I was waiting for both of you anyway...” He grinned at them. ”So, have you heard about the bombing plan in District D?”

And then both Jongup and Junhong talked eagerly about the government plan and how the rebels in the district had once again thwarted it. Their face became solemn at the mention of one of their comrade who was killed in the attack.

Four days and Daehyun had seemed to get used to the kind of news. At his first day, the annihilation of his own district had become the hot issue.

“By the way...” Daehyun piped in when they finally changed the topic. “Do both of you know Youngjae?”

Both suddenly went silent.

“Well.... everyone definitely knows Yoo Youngjae... why?” There is something in Junhong voice that Daehyun couldn’t quite read.

“Nothing, I’m just curious... I never saw him again after the incident in my district. I feel like I should’ve thanked him somehow.” Lame excuse Daehyun, you just hated the fact that the boy had lost interest in you. “Did he even live here?”

Jongup and Junhong exchanged a questioning look.

“So, you know nothing about Youngjae? I mean... you only met him the day he came to rescue your district?” Jongup asked.

“Yeah.... why?”

Another exchanged glances between the two, Daehyun felt the sudden uneasiness.

“So...the rumor isn’t true then?” Junhong cautiously asked.

Rumour? What rumor?

Seeing the confused look in Daehyun’s eyes, Junhong sighed heavely. He gave Jongup a last wary look before turning to Daehyun. “So Hyung, the thing is....”

_______________________________________________________

 

Himchan looked at the younger man in front of him with an amused smile. This was definitely a first. The Yoo Youngjae he knew would never show his emotions so blatantly like this. He was clearly fuming with rage, the tip of his ear had gone red, his eyes turning into a dangerous slit. While leaning his back on a wall, his feet trampling the ground violently.

“Stop it. You’ll make a hole in your shoes.” Himchan wanted to sound stern, but his smiling face betrayed him.

“The meeting is a joke.” Youngjae’s voice came out as a hiss.

Himchan wouldn’t blame him though, he lost his temper for a good reason. They had just finished their regular meeting with the other head departments. And the meeting hadn’t gone so well for him. Today, people were so keen on criticizing Youngjae, calling him reckless and stuffs because of the District B case. Himchan was even surprised that the younger had succeeded in keeping his poker face until the end of the meeting. If it were him, who knows what he will do to the forum.

“It’s not like I screwed up the mission, It’s a success.”

It is indeed a successful mission, no one get killed, they could safely evacuate the refugee, nothing wrong and unusual. Well, except that Youngjae had somehow insisted to join the mission and suddenly brought a boy to the base. It tickled Himchan’s interest though, why would the level-headed strategist do that? He’s not the friendly type. Maybe... the rumor is true?

“By the way, why did you bring the boy in the first place?” As much as he liked scandal and gossips, he wasn’t one to speculate.

“Do I really need to repeat it?” Youngjae growled. “I saw the potential in him, okay? He’s young, he’s a good paramedic –quite a good news for your department— and he happens to be there.”

“But it had caused a bit of a rumor you know...” Himchan wiggled his eyebrows playfully, Youngjae smacked him in the head and walked away.

“Don’t get started with your stupid gossip!”

“Aish, you violent bastard...” Himchan rubbed his head, Youngjae wasn’t one to joke around. “For once, it’s not me who started the rumor. But believe me, it’s spreading like wildfire...”

“Rumour?”

“You really don’t know?” Himchan eyed him doubtfully. Now walking by his side. “Aish, you’re so useless sometimes... So, the thing is, there’s a rumor that the boy you brought is your secret lover, there’s even a more ridiculous rumor saying that he’s your slave –‘that’ kind of slave... I think that’s why the other head is a bit harsh on you to—”

When Himchan realized it, Youngjae had been a few steps behind, stopped dead in his track with a flabbergasted face. “WHAT?!”

_________________________________________________

 

“WHAT?!” Daehyun nearly choked on his food. What the hell?

“Well, that’s how the rumor goes...so it isn’t true?”

“Tsk, of course! We just met each other, he’s not even a friend! Who would ever believe in a story like that anyway?” Jongup and Junhong smiled sheepishly. Urgh, they did. “I thought we were friends!”

”Yah, Hyung-ah.... don’t be like that! The fact that we still wanted to be your friend despite the rumor itself is great right?” Junhong flashed him a wide grin, aishh who would be able to say no to the kid?

But seriously, the rumor itself was in a way amazing. How did they get the idea of Daehyun being someone –and that someone is Youngjae— secret lover? Daehyun had thought that the way others looked at him and then whispered to each other was strange, but he had dismissed it as the perks of being a new kid in the block. You know, like people will just assume things because you’re new. However, this kind of assumption definitely had never even crossed his mind.

Daehyun shook his head lightly, at least he still had these two. They were soon back to their small conversation, chattering about just nothing and everything. Maybe this is how it feels to have friends, you just can laugh about anything no matter how harsh reality had dragged you down. Honestly, Jongup and Junhong are the closest to a friend Daehyun ever had in his life.

“Ahh...so this is the infamous pretty face, huh?”

Hearing the voice, even Junhong suddenly stopped his monologue. Daehyun turned his head to see a boy smiling at him mockingly. He’s tall and well-build, his dreads hanging up to his back. Daehyun raised an eyebrow, didn’t even have a clue who this boy might be. His small gesture, unfortunately, only raised whatever hatred the boy possessed over him.

“Wooah....arrogant much huh?” His hand slowly approached Daehyun’s face, now lifting up his chin in a rude manner. “Just because you have a pretty face and someone who backs you up for that...”

Daehyun didn’t like him. That’s final.

“Why so silent? You’re afraid? Want to scream up your master’s name and hide in his armpit?”

“Zico, stop it.” It was Jongup, trying to set them apart.

“Don’t intervene, Jongup. Or you’ll be next.”

Jongup was about to say something when Daehyun felt his hand moved on its own, gripping Zico’s wrist with such brute force. The boy can just insult him whatever he wants. But no one hurt his friends.

The sudden attack caught Zico off guard. He brought his hand to punch Daehyun, but he could easily catch it. Daehyun was now pinning both his hand in the table, bringing the dreads boy to his knees. He brought his face dangerously close and hissed. “So? I might be pretty, but don’t ever think that I can’t beat you up on my own.”

He glared at him for another five seconds before releasing his grip, the other stumbled back before finally stood up, gaining back his composure. He mouthed a quiet ‘bastard’ before heading off the room.

Daehyun let out a relieved sigh. Man, that was scary.

“Wooah... I never knew you’re a good fighter, Hyung...” Junhong looked at him in an awe.

“I can’t fight. That was just acting, I’m trembling, see?” He showed his slightly trembling hand. It was true, he never had a fight and he disliked people who tend to pick a fight. But somehow, he felt like he should defend himself. He refused to be known as someone who can’t even fight his own battle. Who was here because of someone else’s protection. “Man, that guy was scary...”

“But you’re even scarier, Hyung...”

And for only-God-knows how many times today, Junhong received another smack in the head.

_________________________________________________

 

“Woah, he got the guts...”

Himchan ran after Youngjae who was already a few steps ahead. They were just passing the cafeteria when the small ‘drama’ happened. “That Daehyun guy definitely got the guts...” Zico was one of the base’s troublemaker. Not everyone dared to start a fight with him.

“And you still think that someone like him needs my protection?” Youngjae gave him a challenging smile. Himchan sighed in defeat.

“I know I know, I’ll shut up. The rumor was wrong. I won’t bring it up again.”

Youngjae smiled triumphantly, suddenly felt somehow relieved. ‘Yeah, I shouldn’t be that surprised, he would do just fine on his own.

Daehyun would always lived up to his expectation.

_________________________________________________

 

Daehyun stared nervously at the closed door. About an hour ago, someone had come to the cafeteria to fetch him. She said that the head departments and their leader wanted to hold the interview as soon as possible. Someone must’ve told them about the ruckus in the cafeteria... aiishh, he’s doomed. Now the probability of him getting accepted is even thinner.

He played with the hem of his t-shirt. Did he wear something appropriate? Aish, what’s appropriate anyway, everyone wears something similar in the base; black t-shirt and cargo pants.

He stood up and began to pace around the room. He was already waiting for almost an hour. He just wanted to go and have it done already.

Another ten more minutes of excruciating silence before a woman finally ushered him inside. The room was dark, only a single light bulb hung from the ceiling –right above the chair he’s supposed to sit on. He can feel movements in the room, more than seven people at least, but their faces were perfectly concealed by shadows. Daehyun wondered if this how it feels to be interrogated.

“Sit down.”

A deep husky voice instructed him. He sat down, trying his best to mask his anxiety. Daehyun had heard from Jongup that Youngjae was also one of the higher-ups, something like the head strategist or so. But Daehyun somehow knew that the sassy boy was not currently in the room.

“So, you’re Daehyun? What’s your family name?”

Daehyun swallowed hard. “I don’t have one.”

“You don’t have one?” Another one spoke, it’s a woman. And her voice was doubtful.

“My deceased mother never told me. So, I don’t know” It was the truth. Well, and it seemed like the crowd didn’t like the fact.

“Well, and I heard that you’re a paramedic. Whom did you learn from?”

“She’s my neighbor. She used to be a military nurse, and every time I came over she would teach me. It then became a habit and before I knew it, people have been seeking help from me when she’s not around. I learned a lot from the experience.”

“Where is she now?”

“She died two years ago, shot in the head by God-knows-who.” It made him uncomfortable to talk about it. He hoped they’ll just change the topic.

They asked him a few more questions, including his relationship with Youngjae (which he kindly explained as ‘we just met each other’) and why he had started a fight in the cafeteria (‘I have to defend myself’). Sometimes, they will just argue with each other about his answer and completely ignored him until the one with the deep voice –maybe their leader— stopped them and brought them back on track.

“This is my last question.” It was the leader’s voice. “What do you think of us?”

The room was silent, thick with anticipation. Daehyun was perplexed. Should he tell them the truth?

After a moment of contemplation, he finally found his answer. “I don’t know. Truthfully, I don’t know. I never had a good impression about the rebellion, not until the day you saved my district. And I’m still unsure about everything. But I have questions that need to be answered, and I have the feeling that I’ll be able to find the answer here.”

He made sure to look up at the end of his sentence. Looking straight passed the engulfing shadow in front of him. Making sure that they can see whatever it is in his eyes.

 _________________________________________________

 

“Eeerrghh....”

He strecthed his body when the door finally shut close behind him. He never knew an interview could be THIS exhausting.

He heard a soft chuckle and his eyes instantly searched the room. There, in the far end of the room, leaning back comfortably against a wall, is Yoo Youngjae.

“How it’s going?” He casually asked, wearing his trademark smirk.

Daehyun shrugged his shoulder. “I don’t know, maybe I better pack my things?”

“You shouldn’t, it will be a bother to unpack later...”

“Yah, why so confident? Ah, is it because you’ll got my back like the rumour said?” Daehyun laughed when the younger face suddenly went rosy pink.

“So, you’ve heard about it....”

“Well, apparently everyone did.”

There was a moment of awkward silence. “I’m sorry...”

Daehyun couldn’t believe his ears. “What?”

“I’m sorry.” Youngjae finally looked at him in the eyes. “I feel like I should say that, the rumour.... It might gives you some problems. The higher-ups didn’t really like my attitude....”

“To be exact, no one likes your attitude.”

Youngjae glared at him playfully, and then laughed. “You’re right, I’m just too awesome for them!”

Daehyun rolled his eyes and they walked in the hallway side by side. “Where have you been these past few days? That was irresponsible, you know...”

“You did good on your own.... What? Did you really miss me that bad?”

Daehyun scoffed. “As if!”

They walked in another silence. Both wrapped in their own thought.

“Yoo Youngjae...”

“Hmm?”

“Thanks.”

Youngjae hummed a soft ‘it’s okay’ as they strutted the hallway. The sky above them was the colour of purple. The color of transformation, Daehyun had heard. It was like God had specifically painted the sky for him, and all the changes waiting ahead on his road.

 

__________________________________________________________________

Yeah, I kinda have some chapters ready for this so... this is it.

Comments will be a nice addition, you know... I really want to know what you think about this particular story hahahhaha

But well, no pressure! I just hope you enjoyed reading this :-)