Prologue

Criminal appreciation

Lee Soo Hyuk narrowed his eyes, unamused by the lack of attention he was receiving from the prison authorities as they made loud obscene jokes and hit each other with their large fists. His long fingers danced across the wooden surface of the table impatiently, eyeing his reflection in the separation panel sceptically. He was currently in Hollywood. You know, where all the celebrity stereotypes come from. One of his favourite came from a book.

Quote-“The three-million-,five-million-,as-many-million-dollars-as-you-want-to-spend houses of the movie stars and the movie stars’ wives and the movie stars’ mistresses and the movie stars’ personal trainers who ed the mistresses while the movie stars’ were out making movies about a guy who loves his family.” – End quote.

A flicker of a smirk graced his lips as he wondered if these stereotypes were really true at all. Just then the door was pushed open and a prison warden, the one from before who made a joke about Burger King and KFC escorted a lanky male in.

Soo Hyuk straightened up visibly, hands clasped together as he gave the prisoner a once over. He was handsome from every angle, wild maroon hair and large piercing eyes. The prisoner cocked an eyebrow, looking as if he had walked out of his mansion after a shower and not as if he had not spent the past few years trapped behind bars.

“Park Chanyeol.” Soo Hyuk tested the name on the tip of his tongue, not liking the way the prisoner smirked and leaned forward. “That would be me.”

Chanyeol drawled out, his tone dripping with confidence as the officer standing behind him furrowed his bushy eyebrows, frustrated that he could not understand Korean. He had always felt uneasy around this particular prisoner, not because he was a pyromania but because there was always a mad gleam in his dazzling eyes.

Park Chanyeol was a notorious contract killer that enjoyed burning his victims as a form of torture. He was like Satan’s son, rising from the fiery gates of hell to wreak havoc on middle earth. The warden shivered as the prisoner’s sleek words suddenly popped up in his brain. “It’s a turn on to see their skin glow in the heat of the flames.” He had mused flippantly when the two had first met.

“I came here to recruit you into my team. Your skills will be much needed to solve the Pentagon riddle.” Chanyeol’s face knitted into confusion as he stared at the emotionless detective in front of him, wondering why on earth he would want help from a criminal like him. “Don’t worry, a few other prisoner scums will join you. I’ve booked you flight. We leave for Korea in 3 hours.”

With that, the detective left the room, not sparing Chanyeol another glance as he pulled out his phone. Dialling a number he had memorised by heart, he smiled in satisfaction when the line was picked up on the second ring.

“All handled sir. The Xylor’s daughter will join us in three days’ time. The rest are already in the safe haven.” Soo Hyuk hummed his approval and hung up, extremely pleased that things were going smoothly.

6 hours ago

Hyeri tapped her foot against the concrete floor, a massive pout on her face as she constently checked her wrist watch, cursing the prison wardens for taking their own sweet time. She had been standing outside the deserted church for the past 10 minutes in the freaking heat, sweating unattractively while waiting for 4 of the world’s most dangerous men to arrive.

At last, a yellow prison bus pulled up at the front gate, the door opening with an agonising creak. Groaning under the weight of the fat prison warden, the bus sank deeper into the wet mud as the 4 criminals appeared under the sunlight.

Hyeri felt her eyes widen to the size of saucers as she marvelled at their beauty. The 4 males looked around with interest, a hint of relief in their eyes as they finally breathed in fresh air after a few years behind bars. The female detective approached them hastily, a flirtatious smile on her thin lips as she beckoned the prisoners to follow behind her, secretly thanking her lucky star for sending her 4 smoking hot bad boys.

“My name is Lee Hyeri. You guys will address me as Detective Lee or Miss Hyeri.” The girl felt her insides squirm with excitement at the thought of her name leave their sinful lips. Giddy with new found happiness, her eyes zoned in on the prisoner sitting at the back of the pews. His hair was a striking shade of platinum blond and his pale skin stretched out against sharp features.

She read his name tag quickly, liking the way his name rolled off her tongue. “Lee Hyukjae.” She mumbled. The prisoner, sensing her unrelenting stare raised an eyebrow and slowly turned his head to face her, plump lips pulling into a mesmerising smirk. He his bottom lip between straight teeth and gave her a lazy once over. Hyeri felt herself blush all over and averted her stare hastily.

“What are we doing here?” A tanned male with bee stung lips drawled out throatily. Hyeri averted her attention to him, watching as he toyed with a coin between his fingers. She let her attention get by him as the coin rolled around in his palm before sinking into his flesh and vanishing with a faint pop sound.

“How did you do that?” She breathed out; totally captivated by the magic trick as the prisoner named Kai chuckled lowly. “A magician never reveals his secrets my darling.” His voice was bewitching, his words wrapping around her body and putting her in a trance.

Her feet moved on her own towards him, his smothering gaze constantly locked onto her sparkling ones. “So tell me, what does the almightly Lee Soo Hyuk want with us?” His tone was demanding yet Hyeri’s heart was pounding too hard for her to even care. Kai furrowed his brows and leaned towards her when no response was heard, successfully startling her enough to stumble away.

Blinking in confusion, Hyeri cleared awkwardly and ran a hand through her hair. “Detective Lee needs your… skills to help him arrest the person behind the pentagon murder case.” At the last three words, the prisoners ears twitched and their interests were quipped. “So you’ve heard of the famous person who calls himself the Puppeteer.”

“Who hasn’t? The prison wardens talk about him non-stop. It’s like they have a major crush on him.” Jimin, the youngest criminal of the lot snorted. He ruffled his black hair and pushed himself off the wall, walking steadily towards Hyeri. “The question is, why did this Detective Lee choose us?” Hyeri felt shock hit her like a slap in the face, hanging open as she considered his question.

Jimin cocked an eyebrow and laughed mockingly. “You don’t know do you?” He teased, flicking a stray strand of hair out of her face as Hyeri felt a wave of humiliation wash over her. Gritting her teeth, she slapped the criminal across the face and stormed away. “The bedrooms are to your left on the third floor. Breakfast is at 6.15am. Don’t be late.” She yelled, slamming the door shut behind her as Jimin scoffed.

In Paris

Bella watched the cars zoom past with carefully calculated interest, eyes flashing from driver to driver as she sipped on her cotton candy Frappuccino. Manicured nails danced across the bar counter as she ignored the heavy gaze resting on her back. “You should stop if you don’t want your eyes gouged out.” She mused in English, a wicked glint in her eyes as the bartender’s mouth fell open in shock.

Jumping off the stool when the person she had been looking for came into view, Bella sauntered out of the jazz bar and picked up the steel bat concealed behind the door. Nodding at her bodyguard lurking in the shadows, her footsteps quickened till she was sprinting silently along the alleys.

Her breath was even and not a single drop of sweat appeared on her forehead as she cornered the heavily panting male. “Why run when you can’t hide?” Her French rolled off her tongue perfectly, sending shivers down his spine as he eyed the bat wearily.

Taking a deep breath, he attempted to run past her, only to fall flat of his face as she swung the bat accurately. “Tsk, come on now. Give it to me.” Shaking his head stubbornly, Bella sighed and rested the bat over his erratic heart. Hitting a button, a long knife appeared and forced itself into his flesh. The male gasped and wasted his last breath screaming out a curse word.

“I only wanted the goods. You didn’t have to throw your life down the drain idiot.” She complained childishly, wiping the blood on the sleeve of his biker jacket as she used her gloved hand to pick up the blue crystals and walk away.