Part 3

because i'm your apple (and you're my gravity)

“We did it!” Tao cheered as they hit the road.

 

“Yeah, no thanks to you,” Kai snapped coldly. “I really don’t get how you managed to pass your test to be a bodyguard when you’re so easily distracted by this hotel’s buffet dinner!”

 

Tao only stuck his tongue at Kai. “Psssh, you’re just jealous that I ranked first in the physical test yesterday and you didn’t.”

 

Kai turned his head sharply and started to lunge at Tao’s throat. “You little…”

 

“Guys, please tone it down,” Key said boredly, massaging his temples.

 

Kai rolled his eyes and sat back. “By the way, Tao and I are going for a party tonight,” he said. “Sehun’s team just finished their first mission so they invited most people in our gang for a drink. You’re coming, hyung?”

 

Key shook his head. “No, thanks. You can drop me here, I have something else to do.”

 

“What is it?” Tao asked as he stopped at the roadside.

 

Key looked at the “BLING BLING CAFÉ” banner on the top of the building. “Maybe some time later I’ll tell you.”

 

-

 

As Key made his way through the people flooding the café, he reminded himself that he didn’t come there for Jonghyun. He was just a normal young man looking to refresh himself a bit after a long day of work, and he chose to come here because of his friend’s recommendation. Finding a lone seat not too far but not too close either from the stage, he ordered some food and leaned on his chair to enjoy his surroundings.

 

Tao was right, the atmosphere and food was great. And the music wasn’t bad either. Though most of the performers were still students, but they’re definitely talented. For example, a Chinese man called Lay who played his own composition on the piano. Then Baekhyun appeared (and Key couldn’t help but to scowl at the sight) with a wide-eyed man named Kyungsoo, and they sang a duet titled What is Love. Four young girls who named themselves Red Velvet made a cover of S.E.S’s Be Natural and danced to their own choreography to the song.

 

“Now we’re off to the ‘main menu’,” the MC announced and Key noticed how almost all customers, especially the females, seemed to straighten up in their seats and fix their gaze to the stage.

 

“The owner and the best singer of Bling Bling Café…” the MC paused a little to add some dramatic effect, “…Bling Bling Jonghyun!!”

 

Cheers erupted from the crowd as Jonghyun entered the stage, dressed in simple black printed tee and white skinny jeans, a guitar in hand. As he shot his trademark goofy smirk, the girls screamed and waved their hands as if they were seeing their favorite idol.

 

“Hello, everyone!” Jonghyun shouted to his microphone. “I’m so glad to have you here, in this cold weather, gathering in my humble café!”

 

Again, cheers erupted, even louder than before.

 

“Are you enjoying this night?” Jonghyun asked loudly.

 

“YEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!”

 

“Are you ready to get even more heatened up?!”

 

“YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!”

 

“Sadly, I didn’t plan any explosive performance,” Jonghyun laughed, and a chorus of “awwwwwwwwwwwwwww” spread through the audience. “Tonight, I’m going to sing a special cover of Nell’s Newton’s Apple for someone very special for me, and I hope you’ll enjoy it.”

 

The dino man sat on a chair in the middle of the stage and began strumming on his guitar. After a few tunes, he started to sing.

 

I know, it took me quite a while

I needed time to figure out

Why and how

 

Jonghyun’s voice was definitely beautiful, and Key was mesmerized. Naturally light and thin, the timbre was youthful with a very bright quality to it. There was also something in his gestures and the way his body swayed along the music that told Key how much this man loved his job.

 

It was like a roller coaster ride

Of never ending questions

And it still is

But there is one thing

That I’m so damn sure of

And that is you

Yes, you

 

The song reached the chorus part and the audience’s mood quickly lifted.

 

I will fight for you

No matter what it takes, I’ll fight for you

I will refuse to deny

This love that is bursting inside

 

At that time, Jonghyun raised his head and pulled out a sweet smile, and the girls’ screams intensified.

 

I won’t hide from you

I know that I’ll be drawn right back to you

Like Newton’s apple hit the ground

My gravity always leans towards you

 

Raising from his chair, Jonghyun walked to a standing mic in the front and continued singing.

 

I’ll be there for you

No matter what it takes, I’ll get to you

When you are breaking in denial

I will be the one to hold you

 

While singing, Jonghyun directed his eyes to the audience, making sure he could look into their eyes as much as possible. Then his gaze fell on Key who sat a bit to the right side, and a small but genuine smile slowly lit his face.

 

And I’ll burn for you

Each and every part of me belongs to you

When you’re in your darkest hour

I’ll put them all on fire and guide you

 

Jonghyun’s eyes never left Key’s as he kept singing.

 

I will fight for you

No matter what it takes, I’ll fight for you

I will refuse to deny

This love that is bursting inside

 

I won’t hide from you

I know that I’ll be drawn right back to you

Like Newton’s apple hit the ground

My gravity always leans towards you

 

Was the room getting hot with all the excitements, or it’s just a personal sensation running through Key’s body, as he found himself melting in Jonghyun’s eyes?

 

I’ll be there for you

No matter what it takes, I’ll get to you

When you are breaking in denial

I will be the one to hold you

 

And I’ll burn for you

Each and every part of me belongs to you

When you’re in your darkest hour

I’ll put them all on fire and guide you

 

Now Key was sure the continuous thumping of his heart wasn’t simply because of the atmosphere.

 

After all these years you are

Still the love of my life

Yes, you are

 

Jonghyun closed his eyes for a while, then opened it and shot Key his tenderest stare as he ended the song.

 

After all these years you are

Still the love of my life

Yes, you are

You are

 

The audience gave Jonghyun applauses, even standing ovations, but Key only stared at the singer, heart still beating wildly against his ribcage.

 

Why did Jonghyun keep staring at him throughout the song?

 

Did he really try to convey a message for Key?

 

But didn’t he say he planned this cover for someone very special to him? It couldn’t possibly be Key since Jonghyun didn’t know the feline man would come over.

 

Key sighed and looked downside dejectedly. It wasn’t until a waiter came to him and put a bill in front of him that Key finally raised his head again, confused as he hadn’t asked for his bill yet.

 

On the paper, instead of a list of foods he had ordered and their prices, five words were scribbled in messy handwriting.

 

Come to my waiting room.

 

-

 

Key stood nervously in front of the same door he had barged in a week ago, contemplating whether to knock or not.

 

What if it’s a trap, and polices were waiting inside? It’s possible, as Jonghyun knew Key was technically a criminal. But then again Key remembered the dino man’s face as he told Key he wasn’t going to risk Key’s life, and Key somehow trusted him.

 

Besides, Key also knew it wasn’t even the main reason of his nervousness.

 

It’s stupid, really. Why should he feel nervous? He was just going to see Jonghyun, not the President of Korea or something! And it wasn’t a date either, just a friendly conversation between two men who recently knew each other. Also, he was Key, the Almighty Key, and he was supposed to be calm and confident whatever happened!

 

Yet Key knew he didn’t feel like the Almighty Key right now. He was just the ordinary man Kim Kibum, and Kibum was nervous. Kibum was shy. Kibum was jittery and unconfident in front of someone he li-

 

Key shook his head. No, no, no. He couldn’t possibly like someone. Especially not an idiot like Jonghyun. And he definitely wasn’t afraid of that dino man! Straightening himself up, Key raised his hand and knocked the door.

 

A faint yell, “Come in,” answered him, and Key entered the room.

 

Jonghyun was sitting on the sofa, on the exact same place where Key had found him a week earlier, still in his stage costume. As Key walked in, he stood up to greet the feline man.

 

“I know you will come to me,” he said, grinning from ear to ear.

 

Key rolled his eyes. “Your confidence really exceeds the width of the universe, Jonghyun-sshi.”

 

“Whatever,” he replied cheerfully. “You’re still coming and that’s all that matters.”

 

“I’m starting to regret this,” Key muttered.

 

“You won’t,” the dino man laughed and walked to a small fridge. “Do you want to drink something? Coke, maybe? Or juice? Or plain water?”

 

Key crossed his arms. “I just want to know. Why did you call me here?”

 

Jonghyun shrugged. “No special reasons.”

 

“Wh-“

 

“I just thought maybe we can meet and have a talk together, to know each other better,” the dino man explained, pulling out two bottles of water. “Since you’re here anyway.”

 

“I never said I want to know you better!”

 

Jonghyun smirked. “So you do want it.”

 

Key opened his mouth to retort, but nothing came out and slight blush crept onto his cheeks. Damn this dino man and his right-to-the-core statement.

 

“You’re cute when you’re blushing,” Jonghyun remarked.

 

“W-whatever,” Key mumbled, looking around to hide his intensifying blush and of course to not see Jonghyun’s annoying smirk anymore. Trying to avoid any embarassment, he grabbed a random notebook on the table and flipped through it.

 

“Be careful handling it,” Jonghyun warned. “That’s my lyric book.”

 

“Your…what?”

 

“My lyric book,” Jonghyun repeated. “I write all my finished lyrics there.”

 

For the first time, Key looked at Jonghyun with interest. “You write songs?”

 

Now it’s Jonghyun’s turn to blush. “Y-yeah. I do, sometimes, when I have free time. But I don’t think they’re that good though.”

 

“May I see it?” Key asked, curiosity peaked.

 

Jonghyun nodded.

 

Eagerly, Key started skimming the lyrics.

 

To be honest, he found some of them a bit cheesy. Take Juliette for example, which described one’s love to a girl (“I’m Romeo, your knight in shining armor”, really??) . But the others were exceptionally sad and beautiful, like Alarm Clock, which was about wishing to wake up from a nightmare of past break-up. Another one, Selene 6.23, expressed the pain of an unrequited love, denoted as the distance between someone to the moon.

 

“They’re good,” Key remarked honestly.

 

Jonghyun’s eyes lit up. “Really?”

 

“Yeah,” Key smiled. “I’m an amateur though…but if you ask my opinion, I’d say most of them are either really cheesy or really depressing…”

 

“Yah!”

 

“…but I think you truly have a talent in writing lyrics, Jonghyun-sshi.”

 

Jonghyun smiled back, wider this time. “Thank you, thank you!!”

 

“But I don’t see the song you sang earlier in the café.”

 

“Because it isn’t mine. Didn’t you hear what I said back there? It’s a cover of Nell’s song titled Newton’s Apple. I’ve always loved the song and I decided to play it for someone special to me when I had the chance.” The dino man gave Key a flirty wink. “In this case, it’s you.”

 

“…You didn’t even know I was coming.”

 

“Yeah, that’s why I’ve played it for seven days straight.”

 

Key was sure that even a tomato field would be jealous of him now. “You sure are something, Kim Jonghyun.”

 

“I’ll take it as a compliment,” Jonghyun laughed. “Do you want me to play one of the songs?”

 

Key blinked, surprised. “You compose too?”

 

“Not all of them,” Jonghyun admitted. “Most of them are composed by my friends. But if you like it, I’ll play for you. Choose one.”

 

Key nodded and flipped through the book again, to the later pages he hadn’t opened before. But when he almost reached the end of the notebook, a piece of paper fell to the floor.

 

At the same time, Jonghyun and Key ducked to retrieve the paper, but Key was faster. As he picked the paper, he realized that it was actually a photo, showing a younger Jonghyun with black hair, linking arms with another guy probably one or two years younger than him.

 

“Who is it?” Key asked.

 

“My younger brother, Jongdae,” Jonghyun replied somewhat uneasily.

 

Key stared at the photo again. He could see their resemblance – they both had identical wide grins which emphasized their dinosaur-like facial features, though Jongdae had more protruded cheekbones and cat-like smirk. The face was somewhat familiar to Key, though he couldn’t place a name on it.

 

“He looks like you,” Key said, returning the photo to Jonghyun. “Where is he now?”

 

Jonghyun shrugged. “Heaven, perhaps.”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Key said symphatetically. “I know how it feels to lose someone you love.”

 

“It’s okay,” Jonghyun smiled, albeit a bit bitterly. “It’s been almost two years though. I’ve gotten through it. I’m sure he’s happier, wherever he is now.”

 

Key nodded slowly, unsure what to say.

 

“Anyway, what song do you want to hear?” Jonghyun asked, quickly changing the subject.

 

“Uhh…Selene 6.23?”

 

“That’s my favorite song too. I told you, we’re matched.”

 

“…S-shut up and just play for me, Kim Jonghyun.”

 

-

 

One dat-correction, meeting led to another, and a few days later Key found himself sitting in front of Jonghyun inside a restaurant, empty plates piled up on the table.

 

“Ah, I’m full,” Jonghyun sighed, rubbing his stomach.

 

Key gave him a look. “You ate the whole dragon roll by yourself, I wonder how could you be not full.”

 

The dino man grinned innocently. “I couldn’t help it. It was really good.”

 

“I feel bad for your wife later, if she has to deal with a gluttonous dinosaur like you.”

 

Jonghyun smiled cheekily. “So you feel bad for yourself then?”

 

“Wh-I did not say that!” Key stammered, face coloring furiously. “Besides, who says I’m going to be your wife?!”

 

“I do,” Jonghyun said nonchalantly.

 

Key grabbed the menu and was ready to smack Jonghyun’s head before the dino man quickly stopped him. “Not now, we’re in the middle of a restaurant!”

 

Key scowled and placed the menu back. “Why are you always so annoyingly flirtatious to me?”

 

“Because I like you.”

 

The short, simple, but honest statement from Jonghyun had Key taken aback. “W-what?!”

 

“Because I like you, Kim Kibum,” Jonghyun repeated, brown eyes staring right into Key’s.

 

Key swallowed. Somehow, deep in his heart, he had understood Jonghyun’s feelings towards him (the dino man had made it quite obvious anyway). And he himself had wondered when Jonghyun would pop the question finally. But he still had some hesitation. “Why me?”

 

Jonghyun shrugged. “Because you’re interesting?”

 

Key didn’t know whether to be satisfied or not with the answer. “Because I barged inside your waiting room to hide from the cops and dressed myself as a feisty diva to chase them away?”

 

“You’re also pretty,” Jonghyun said with a wink.

 

“In case I haven’t said it enough, I’m a man, Kim Jonghyun,” Key sighed, exasperated.

 

Jonghyun raised an eyebrow. “Do I look like I care?”

 

That effectively shut Key up.

 

“You’re right, you are a man,” Jonghyun continued. “I also don’t know who you are. I don’t know where you come from, what you do for a living, where you live, how many people in your family, et cetera et cetera. It doesn’t matter, because I know I like you. And I want you to be mine, Kim Kibum.”

 

Key shook his head frantically. “No, Jonghyun, please!! You don’t understand! My...profession doesn’t exactly allow me to date, let alone be in a relationship! I...I hate that, and I hate myself for getting entangled inside it but...”

 

Jonghyun touched Key’s bow-shaped lips with his thumb. “If it disturbs you so much, you can just resign. I may be able to help you finding a new job.”

 

Key’s breath hitched as he stared back at Jonghyun with a mix of confusion, curiosity, and excitement.

 

“Let me do this for you, okay?” Jonghyun murmured, caressing Key’s lips softly.

 

Where was his voice when he needed it? Key could only gulp and give a small nod as Jonghyun’s eyes got shorter and shorter in distance with his own.

 

And when their lips locked, Key knew he didn’t like this dino man.

 

He was in love with Kim Jonghyun.

 

-

 

Key parked his motorcycle in front of SHARP Pencil Factory. Walking leisurely inside, he looked around and nodded at some people he knew before he arrived in front of the receptionist.

 

“Sooyoung-sshi,” Key greeted casually.

 

The receptionist just glared in return. Key figured that she never truly forgave him after his cruel joke on her first day, yet he found her attitude hilarious so he never forgot to exchange some words with her every time he passed her desk.

 

“What do you want to do this time?” Sooyoung asked. “Did you just finish an extremely dangerous and life-risking mission again?”

 

Key shook his head at the sarcasm dripping in Sooyoung’s voice. “No, I just need to say something to him.”

 

“Is it really important? Because President Choi is having a gu-“

 

Key tsk-ed. “Haven’t you learned your lesson? No one, and I mean no one, denies me access when I want to see Minho.”

 

“Wai-“

 

Before Sooyoung could even finish her word, Key had disappeared behind the elevator door.

 

The trip to Minho’s office felt so long for Key today. Usually, he spent it by curling on the corner, praying for the trip to end quickly but the elevator always stopped before he could even finish his prayer. But today he stood in the center of the elevator, tapping his foot impatiently as the glass capsule shot to the top floor.

 

Finally, the familiar ding was heard and the elevator door slid open. Key walked outside and said bluntly, “Choi Minho, I need to tell you some-“

 

Key’s words stopped abruptly as he realized Minho wasn’t alone in the room. A man probably on his fifties, wearing black from head to toe, was sitting across Minho. He had serious expression and superiority aura around him, which had Key taken a step backwards once they locked eyes.

 

“Key,” Minho sighed. “Didn’t Sooyoung tell you I’m having a guest?”

 

Key blushed. Well, the receptionist did try to tell him, but Key thought it’s just one of her lousy tricks again not to let Key visit Minho’s room. “I-I’m sorry... She...she tried to tell me but...”

 

Minho shook his head. “You’re unbelievable. Now go away and wait until I say you c-“

 

“No, no, it’s okay,” the man in black interrupted, smiling at Key, and Key relaxed immediately. “You may say what you need to say to President Choi first. My business with him can wait, I’m not in a rush.”

 

Was it just Key’s imagination, or did Minho look really uneasy? “A-are you sure?”

 

“Of course!” the main said brightly. “I’d also like to know this young man better. Aren’t you the infamous Almighty Key people kept talking about?”

 

Key’s chest swelled with pride.”Yes, I am,” he said, smiling back. “Thank you, uhh...”

 

“Kim Youngmin,” the man said and reached out a hand.

 

Key shook his hand. “Kim Kibum, but as you know, people here usually call me Key.”

 

“I shall call you Key-sshi, then,” Youngmin laughed and gestured to the empty chair beside him. “Sit, sit.”

 

Minho massaged his temples as Key took a seat beside Youngmin. “What is it that you want, Key? Is it that important that you can’t wait? We don’t have any appointments anyway.”

 

Key rolled his eyes. “I never have to make an appointment to meet you before, President Choi.”

 

“Just goddamn tell me and then you’re free to leave.”

 

Key inhaled. “Fine,” he said. “I...I want to resign.”

 

The room temperature seemed to go down a few degrees as the words left Key’s mouth.

 

Resign?” Minho repeated. “What do you mean?”

 

“Well, you know, resign? To give up a job or a position in a formal or official way? That’s from Merriam-Webster dictionary, you know,” Key said sarcastically.

 

“I know the definition well, thank you. I mean, why do you want it? Why are you even thinking of resigning?”

 

Key played with the hem of his shirt. “Well, I think you know for yourself that I never particularly enjoyed this job,” he stated. “I did it to pay the bills, my father’s debt, and my brother’s tuition fee...but now I’ve had enough.”

 

Minho grabbed the side of his desk so hard that his knuckles turned white. “Did you just hear yourself, Key??”

 

“I did,” Key said, “and I meant it. This job’s not for me anymore, Minho.”

 

“Then what are you gonna do with the bills?”

 

“I...I’ve gotten a new job. You don’t have to worry about me.”

 

Minho still looked unconvinced, and there was something in his eyes that Key couldn’t really comprehend. Anger? Fear?

 

“Minho,” Key tried again. “I know I’m some kind of important asset for you. But you have plenty of others. And I really can’t stay here, I just can’t. I swear that I will keep the secret of this gang, you know you can trust me. Please.”

 

Finally Minho sighed again, this time a bit tiredly. “Fine,” he said. “I’ll...think about that, okay? That’s what I can say for now.”

 

Key smiled. “Thanks, Minho,” he said, rising from his seat. “I’m looking for good news from you.”

 

And the feline man walked back to the elevator, completely missing the way Kim Youngmin stared at him.

 

~~~

 

 

 

 

 

Comments and subscriptions please.