final

Kaleidoscope of White Coats and Pretty Brown Eyes

Henry isn’t always this dumb. It’s just that certain situations make him look like he’s dumb.

One of those situations is this stupid bet with Kyuhyun. Yes, he knows making a bet with The Devil’s Spawn is stupid enough but he was trying to prove something -- he thinks.

Kyuhyun has this habit of teasing him and making him do things against his will. Donghae said that it was Kyuhyun’s way of showing that he likes you. Henry thinks he’s insane. But there he is, climbing this stupid tree because he lost the stupid bet. He curses in english as Kyuhyun chuckles from the ground. Okay, maybe he is a bit stupid.

He is about four feet off the ground and he feels like throwing up. Kyuhyun knows he’s afraid of heights but urges him to climb higher.

“Hyung, I can’t anymore!” he exclaims, clinging to one of the branches desperately.

“Come on, Henry. We agreed you’d climb at least until Sungmin hyung’s window!” Sungmin hyung’s room is on the third floor of the dorm and he’s only halfway through the second one.

“Hyung!”

And on his act of protesting, he loses his footing and his arms made desperate attempts to grab on to something but before he knows it, he’s already on the ground and his left wrist is in pain. He makes a pathetic sound on the back of his throat and Kyuhyun helps him to stand up.

“You’re really stupid.” he says and Henry glares.

Henry demands to be taken to the university hospital even though Kyuhyun insists that it’s nothing serious. He’s not even that high up when he fell. But Henry knows better than to trust him. So with a lot of grumbling, Kyuhyun drags him to the university hospital with Henry rambling about how he’s not going to help him with his english homework anymore.

Dr. Shim was nice for the most part as he explains what had happened but he was friends with Kyuhyun so Henry isn’t sure how nice he actually is.

“It’s not serious, Henry. There are no broken bones but it might swell for the next few days. All you have to do is put ice over it for five to ten minutes.” Dr. Shim explained. “We still have to put your wrist in a bandage, though. Amber.”

Henry only notices the girl beside Dr. Shim when she gently took his wrist, examining it with focused eyes. He blinks and all he could do was stare because wow, she has really pretty eyes. She meticulously wraps the bandage around his wrist, hands moving slowly but surely, her short hair falling over her eyes a little bit. Henry wonders how many times she spent practicing this. He also wonders how many times he could injure himself in order to see her everyday.

“You’re new here?” Henry asks once he was sure Dr. Shim and Kyuhyun are not listening. “I haven’t seen you around before.”

“I’m an intern.” Amber The Nurse said.

“Oh. I’m Henry.”

“I know.”

Henry flinches. Of course she does! She’s only been sitting next to Dr. Shim for the whole duration of his check up. Okay, most definitely stupid. He needs to say something to redeem himself.

“I play the piano.” Henry groans inwardly. That was lame.

“O...kay?” Amber The Nurse raises an eyebrow.

“I mean, I play the piano in the hospital lobby sometimes. For entertainment.” Henry feels like throwing himself off a cliff. He’s usually good at this kind of thing. He’s going to blame his injured wrist. And Kyuhyun. Always blame Kyuhyun.

“Maybe you can listen to me play?”

Henry catches her small smile as she fastens the bandage. “Maybe.”

He leaves the hospital with a bandaged wrist and a huge grin on his face.

 

For the rest of the week, Henry did try to injure himself again. The dorm head, Leeteuk, caught him climbing the tree again in the middle of the night and he came out with a bat on his hand, thinking that the dorm was being robbed. Not a very smart move.

Kyuhyun catches on quickly on what he’s trying to do and the reason why. “It’s because you have a crush on the intern, isn’t it?”

Henry can only grin shamelessly.


 

His wrist heals the following week and he dashes to the university hospital, hoping that he doesn’t seem too eager.

“Oppa!” Henry stops running and turns to find a six-year-old girl whose smile is brighter than any sunshine.

“Hey Sooyoung.”  he grins, pinching the child’s cheek. “How are you?”

Sooyoung pouts cutely and pushes his hand away. “You haven’t been visiting Sooyoungie.”

“Oppa is busy with school. I’m sorry, Sooyoungie.” The six-year-old squints at him before breaking into her sunshine smile, grabbing him by the wrist and leading him to the piano.

“Play for me, oppa.”

Henry chuckles and pats her on the head before slender fingers collide with white keys. He plays a familiar tune, smiling as Sooyoung sways beside him. Henry only started playing in the hospital lobby as a favor for a sunbae who already graduated. But he sees Sooyoung with her curious eyes and bright grin and he was reminded of his little sister back in Canada. He had thought that maybe it would be a good idea to stick around so he did.

“Sooyoung.”

Henry turns and meets short black hair and pretty brown eyes. Just the person he was looking for.

“Sooyoung, it’s time for your lunch.” Amber says gently, beckoning Sooyoung to come to her.

“But unnie, Henry oppa is playing a song for me.” Sooyoung whines, using the pout that he used on him earlier.

“And he can continue after you’ve eaten, right, Henry-ssi?” It takes a while before Henry realizes that he was being addressed and he blinks before nodding.

“We can continue later, Sooyoung. You have to get healthy first so you can finally go home.” He says, pinching her chubby cheeks again.

Sooyoung is still pouting, though. “We can’t continue later.”

“Huh?”

“Dr. Shim said that you came today to play with Amber unnie.” Sooyoung says, standing up from the stool while Henry coughs, embarrassed.

“Well, not exactly ‘play’.” he mumbles as Amber’s eyebrows shoot up in question.

Sooyoung sighs.  “Just come back tomorrow, okay, oppa?”

Then the six-year-old dashes off to another nurse, waving at them before disappearing to her room. Henry is left blushing and hella embarrassed.

“I thought the whole I play the piano thing was just an act to impress me.” he hears Amber say and he manages a chuckle, scratching the back of his neck.

“Well, it was.” he says and Amber smiles. “Did it work, though?”

Amber approaches him and he thinks that he’s going to be rejected but--

“Why don’t you come again tomorrow and we’ll see.” she smirks as she walks away. It takes a while before he realizes the piece of paper in his hand.

And despite the penmanship that’s only slightly better than his (must be a med student thing), it’s definitely her number.