The Prince of Vin

The Five Points of Harmony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note: This update is more than three months late and for that, I apologize. Two other stories, Once Upon a Time and Files of the Dead have demanded much of my time as of late, including my school work, and I promise to try and get my groove back for this story and roll out updates much more efficiently.

As tradition and protocol would have it considering that the debutante ball was for a crown princess, before the rest of the party could really begin, ample time was allotted for a certain presentation of gifts of sorts by special, high-ranking and royal guests. These guests were to stand once they were called and approach the debutante and her parents, presenting themselves, their gifts and their well wishes for the celebrant. As it was the crown princess who was celebrating her birthday and not just any other princess, royal families outside of Grautaz had been invited and were therefore part of this tradition. Sooyoung stood on the dance floor, just before the stage that housed the table of sovereigns, with the King of Auszra to her right and the Queen to her left, smiling graciously at each and every guest to head their way. Currently, it was the Council of Elders who had their turn to give her their wishes and gifts, Sooyoung politely thanking them for their generosity.

“Their Majesties, The King and Queen, and Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince Wu Chun and Prince Wu Fan of Vin.”

The announcement had Sooyoung looking past one of the Elders’ shoulders at the approaching royal family. The land called Vin was found up north, separated from Grautaz by the River Aexa. It was a wide expanse of land, however not as large as Grautaz, and as it was located far north, it frequently snowed in Vin. Or at least that was what she learned from the geography lessons they had in The Palace. She’d seen the king, queen, and crown prince multiple times already since she became crown princess and even considered the crown prince a good friend. However, she could count on both hands the times she’d seen the younger prince. They hadn’t been present during Soomi’s own debutante ball as a particularly strong snowstorm had struck Vin and the family opted to stay and aid their people, sending instead a rather extravagant gift for her sister, along with their greetings and apologies.

As such, once the Council of Elders had shuffled off the dance floor and back to their table, Sooyoung finally had a better look at the royal family. The King was, needless to say, a handsome man with jet black hair, large almond shaped eyes that were rather charming, a slightly rounded face and defined chin and she instantly had the impression that the Sovereign was rather very approachable and welcoming. The Queen, however, was more striking than her husband with sharp cheekbones accentuating an already breathtakingly beautiful face that had a pointed nose, small lips, and almond shaped eyes framed by long, silky raven tresses that were cascading down in waves for the night. She was rather tall and was currently the same height as her husband due to her heels. Without them, she was probably the same height as the crown prince. It was a pity that they didn’t have a daughter, Sooyoung mused, and with that thought in mind, she shifted her attention to their two sons.

Crown Prince Wu Chun stood to his father’s right and was the shorter one of the two princes. He greatly resembled the King both in looks and demeanor but had enough of the Queen in him so much so that he looked both striking and approachable at the same time. Prince Wu Fan on the other hand was the tallest one in the family, besting his father by an inch or two, and though she could definitely see hints of the King in him, he reminded Sooyoung so much of his mother, especially now that he was the one standing by her side.

“They’re finally able to make it.” Jaerim commented to the two other left at the table with him, the three crown princess watching as Sooyoung bowed formally in greeting at the King and Queen of Vin. “They weren’t able to come for Soomi’s debutante ball, right?”

Luhan shook his head. “No.”

“He’s been staring at her for a while now.”

Jaerim shifted to arch an eyebrow at Changmin. “Who?”

“The other prince.” He replied simply. “Prince Wu Fan.”

The older man glanced back at the scene on the dance floor and rolled his eyes. “Pipe down, brother. Of course he’s going to be staring at her. She is the celebrant.”

Changmin rolled his eyes back. “He’s been staring at her the moment she arrived.”

“Has he been, really?” It was Luhan’s turn to arch an eyebrow in interest. “I don’t blame him, though. Our sister is the most beautiful one tonight. He might have a crush on her.”

“She is, after all, all grown up.” Jaerim frowned slightly all of a sudden. “Somehow I don’t like that idea.”

“That’s because she’ll always be our little sister no matter what happens.” Changmin reasoned. “Which is why I’m not too fond of the idea that she could have… suitors soon.”

He pursed his lips in thought. “Is he part of the 18 dances?”

Luhan shook his head. “No. The kings, crown princes, and princes of Grautaz were prioritized so only the King and Crown Prince of Vin have been included.”

“And Wu Chun is not single, right?”

“No.” Changmin replied. “He has a childhood sweetheart, remember? All of Vin assume that he will marry her one day and make her a princess, then eventually a queen.”

“Right.” Jaerim nodded once. “One potential suitor down.”

“Many more to go.” Changmin added grimly.

Luhan couldn’t help but chukle and shake his head at the two. “You are being ridiculous, brothers.”

Whatever reply Changmin and Jaerim had for that never made it past their lips as it was announced that it was indeed time for the 18 dances, another tradition in debutante balls that had 18 selected men having their turn to dance the waltz with the debutante. The three crown princes were soon up on their feet and joined the line forming at the side of the dance floor with Sooyoung stand in the middle of it, her eyes widening slightly in confusion when a staff member hand each participant a flower stem each. However, she had no opportunity to ask what was going on as the musicians began to play the tune that accompanied the traditional waltz, Prince Hyunseong, Changmin’s younger brother, soon approaching her with a single yellow rose in hand.

“Happy birthday, Your Highness.” Hyunseong smiled charmingly as he handed her his rose.

“Thank you, Your Highness.” She shot back, holding the flower in the hand that she wasn’t putting on his back. “You really should stop calling me that, Hyungseong. If you call Changmin by his name, then you can call me by mine.”

“I was kidding, Sooyoung.” He chuckled as they began to waltz.

“What are the flowers for?” Sooyoung questioned, glancing at the yellow rose once more.

“Just a little addition to the tradition.” A beat passed. “Oh, that rhymed.”

A giggle escaped her lips before she soon sobered up. “Who thought of this? I wasn’t aware that this was added.”

“My brother, Jaerim, and Luhan did.” Hyunseong replied with a smile. “They figured it’s something that you’d appreciate.”

Her eyes brimmed at that, the pair slowing down to a stop as Hyunseong’s turn ended, The young prince of Molere bowed as the debutante heiress curtsied, Jaerim’s brother Seunghyun soon taking his place with a second yellow rose in hand. The waltz resumed and the pattern continued with the other princes from foreign lands, Sooyoung receiving more yellow roses from them. As it was, she was currently dancing with Wu Chun, the dark haired crown prince telling her the tale of how he’d met his childhood love when their conversation somehow shifted to the topic.

“I’ll ask her to marry me soon.”

Sooyoung gasped. “That is amazing! Congratulations!”

“Thank you.” He grinned. “But keep that to yourself first, alright? You’re the only one who knows, aside from my parents and hers.”

“Of course, of course.” The crown princess agreed easily. You must send word right away when she says yes.”

Wu Chun laughed. “Of course. I expect to see you at the wedding.”

“I definitely won’t dream of missing it.” The two stopped to give the customary bow and curtsy before Sooyoung reached forward to hug Wu Chun. “I’m so happy for you.”

“I really appreciate it.” He reached for her hand and dropped a kiss on the back of it. “Happy birthday.”

Sooyoung beamed in reply, Wu Chun soon turning to head back to the line just as Jaerim was approaching for his turn. The two men nodded at each other, Wu Chun clamping a hand on the younger man’s sho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter